Diablo® III

What D2 had that D3 does not.

The synergy that D2's items/itemization, the randomness of the items' quality, the skill tree and skill tree stat points, character stat points, drop rate of items, monster density, the quality of the map randomization, the capability of making your own game, the max number of people allowed in each game, the hostile and mute button, and many, many more things together -- that unique synergy of the whole system is what D3 doesn't have.
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 09:58 PMPosted by KradisZ
Diablo 2 gear dependent? I suspect the people who suggest this aren't very familiar with the game:

The OP said along the lines of Diablo 3 is FAR MORE gear dependant THAN Diablo 2 and more RANDOM in terms of crap than good compared to Diablo 2

A bit of a late response but I was pointing out this to a few people from the page before. I was reinforcing the OPs point.

01/16/2013 03:52 PMPosted by Demon
Also Diablo 2 was gear dependant, I'd like you to post me a video of you soloing super diablo in tristram with no gear.

I guess you missed my post? It wasn't me specifically but it has been done (on hardcore no less): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6dpUe2wGGY
Reply Quote
D3 is too loot dependent to the point if you have no items equipped you dps is next to nothing.D2 since skills were based on level, you could still do something with no gear, even in PvP you could see a naked bone necro own geared players.
This only applied to casters.
If you had a Barb without gear, he wouldn't be doing much of anything. It also means that gear plays little influence on the damage output of caster spells (aside from +skills items) which presents a secondary problem in terms of scaling.

01/13/2013 07:06 PMPosted by Why
D3, you do not have much choice in gear or gear options because your damage is dependent on how much IAS,crit damage, crit chance, and primary stats you can get on your items.
In D2 (to use your example above), your damage was static, and it STILL dependend on the gear you were wearing (through +skills items, with a cap). In the case of your Necro, gear was only worn to add protection or vitality. So your complaint is that in D3, gear is worn for protection, dps, and vitality. Why is that bad again?

01/13/2013 07:06 PMPosted by Why
D2 also had caps, IAS cap,FCR cap, FHR cap. So with caps you had to think about what item combinations should I choose to give me X amount of fhr,fcr and ias and so forth. Creating unique item combinations in D2, adding more customization.
Regardless of what you think, the caps weren't caps at all. They were minimums. After you reach the minimum, gear that added to it became worthless. Attack speed? Worthless outside of break points. FHR? Worthless after a minimum.

But here you are arguing AGAINST gear, and then FOR gear dependency. Face it: you don't know what you want. Or rather, you want the memories you had playing D2. This isn't Diablo 2. Make new memories, or get out of the way. You can't travel back in time. Enjoy the memories you had.
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 05:31 PMPosted by MisterAjikko
The synergy that D2's items/itemization, the randomness of the items' quality, the skill tree and skill tree stat points, character stat points, drop rate of items, monster density, the quality of the map randomization, the capability of making your own game, the max number of people allowed in each game, the hostile and mute button, and many, many more things together -- that unique synergy of the whole system is what D3 doesn't have.
Go to Act 1 in Diablo 2.
Step outside.
Time how far you have to run between Quill Rats and/or zombies. So much for "mob density" arguments. D2 had some glaring flaws there.

Oh look, I found a video of it in case you're too lazy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-et_YOoToiw
Reply Quote
Go to Act 1 in Diablo 2.
Step outside.
Time how far you have to run between Quill Rats and/or zombies. So much for "mob density" arguments. D2 had some glaring flaws there.

Wow, do you realize how terrible of an argument that is?
Lol guys look how easy the tutorial is!
Edited by steveman0#1968 on 1/16/2013 6:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
Go to Act 1 in Diablo 2.
Step outside.

My point is about the synergy of the whole system of the entire game. Your argument is futile.
Nonetheless, "mob density" it can be less and it can be high, it's just a measurement, when applied appropriately, and along with other components of the game -- is what makes the game fun and enjoyable.
Edited by MisterAjikko#1937 on 1/16/2013 8:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 11:16 AMPosted by Friz
Goddammit people. Stop arguing that Diablo 2 sucked when it first came out. Stop arguing that Diablo 2 didn't get good until they patched the hell out of it. BLIZZARD SHOULD HAVE LEARNED SOMETHING FROM DIABLO 2. Diablo 3 isn't Blizzards first attempt at the ARPG genre, they freakin' perfected the genre, and then they crapped all over it.

They did learn from D2.

- No more silly bossruns that are boring
- Items drop everywhere now, no more pointless grinding at Countess, Mephi or Baal with always the same maps
- You can now actually trade ingame much easier and dont need to trade through 3rd party "criminals"
- chat lobby is gone and games will always fill up. At D2 you could sit in your ancients run for hours and nobody came or search an ancients game yourself and find none
- + skill system is finally gone, at D2 only items with +2 skills were good, nobody did use an item which didnt had any kind of + skill
- Runewords that you cant get legit are gone
- no more stupid skill tree´s that made build diversity non existend, everyone had the same spec
- quest´s cant be stolen from you anymore
- set´s and legs drop more often, at D2 you could play 10 years and never get a IK armor - at D3 I found 2 allready

etc....

I definately think they improved the weak points of D2 a lot, sadly they forgot the socket quest and some other minor things, but they definately did listen to our concerns when they designed the game.
As a true D2 player you would know this, the battle net was full of our concerns.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Big deal, you can have a few different pieces of gear and keybind like 12 skills instead of 6, you people are comparing a game that at the time was revolutionary to basically an up to date remake, get off your high horses and come to terms with reality, just because your not 12 playing D2 anymore doesn't mean that D3 is that bad of a game, and if it is then don't let the door hit ya on your way out. The games aren't comparable /thread
Reply Quote
Fun.
Reply Quote
Champions packs power are so unoriginal and boring, how about good ol' fireball and stuff? Never saw any 'rpg' with stupid rotating laser beams on the floor. The items is not the only problem. These makes me feel like im playing an arcade game for 5 years old, not to mention the dialogs that makes me want to shoot myself in hte head
Reply Quote
d2 had more chars that buffed other chars from barbs with bo and wizs with wep chants dins with holy bolt heals and aruas that benefits the whole party
d3 has a 30 sec barb bo and a monk bo , wiz chants itself and wd and dh dont do jack
Reply Quote
stupid rotating laser beams on the floor

yep... that right there is immersion breaker... thought it was bug first time i saw it..

could have easily made it a twisting wall of fire or something elemental - you know, something diablo ..

bells falling out of the sky from nowhere, floating head monsters telling you there every move, removal of light radius - its the details that show that they just didn't seem to get what Diablo experience / ambience is for some people .. which, rippled all the way up to the larger gameplay decisions.
Edited by MGH#1860 on 1/17/2013 5:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
The damage based on skill level is nice, but then it also forced people into the optimized all-vit builds.
Reply Quote
This thread is damaging my brain. It's like watching kids fighting on the playground.
Edited by AxeLord#1992 on 1/17/2013 5:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
I have to agree. The game feels boring. Exactly the same runs, same garbage collected, impossible to find anything useful. Same routine gets repeated every 15 - 20 mins (usually heart of sin). Diablo 2 was never that way. It could be played for days straight and never felt boring. There was always something to do, something to look forward to, it never felt like a routine.

It is very frustrating... I play D3 for half an hour and I feel bored of it. I don't play it because I want to, but now its just only when I have truly nothing to do and need to kill an hour. I expected much more. I'm disappointed.

To be fair, of course I was 10 years younger back then, probably it is somewhat a factor, but still, there were so many different and fun objectives I could create for myself (such as making a lvl 21 PK palladin, who would be owning lvl 40+ barbs in hardcore duels, etc.). In D3 I just feel like all I'm doing is grinding for gold, hour after hour. Grind a few mils, get a bit better item, and back to grinding. I have enough of that in real life, that's not what I want to be doing after work/school. There isn't even any excitement anymore when I see a legendary drop, because 99.9% chance - its garbage.

Game became too commercialized. All blizzard cares about is profit from AH and it ruined the game completely. I'm not buying the expansion.
Reply Quote
Even If they would make new graphics with the new online authentication system (to prevent hacking, duping, etc.), but left D2 exactly the way it was, it would be a much better product. I doubt there is much that can be done to fix the game at this point. They keep adding stuff like paragon levels, dueling will be coming up, but IMHO it just prolongs the agony. There are too many unhappy players. That is the first fail in the history of blizzard. Its a shame. I will never be looking at blizzard the way I used to. The game is a fail.
Reply Quote
The big difference is really just in gear variation. When I go to upgrade gear on my Monk I'm really just looking for bigger numbers instead of trying out new gear layouts. They need to double the number of useful affixes to make gear interesting in this game.

The basic gameplay is way better than D2, not even close. Too bad they screwed up the gear which is more or less the end game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]