Diablo® III

What D2 had that D3 does not.

Is this a troll thread? Holy crap, I haven't seen a thread on the D3 forums with more paragraphs of text.
i also liked that in diablo 2 poison damage did damage over time. were in diablo 3 its no different then any of the other spell damage which i feel is just another way they dumb down there game.
Their game is dumbed down completely. It plays exactly like the Call of Duty games: there is one clear objective, and that's the only thing you can do. If you do anything else, it feels like an utter waste of time. And it is. Follow the quest objectives, kill some monsters with the same boring skills (or use four different-but-equally-boring skills that are in no way special), watch a cutscene you've seen 1000 times before but only wanted to watch once, fight an "epic" battle that is nearly identical to every other boring fight you've had, pick up the 1 rare item that dropped when the boss is dead, wait 2 seconds to validate that the item is garbage, walk over to the vendor, sell the item, repair your gear, repeat. That will always be Diablo 3.So crack a beer, get a little tipsy, and have a piss on Diablo 2's grave with me, Blizzard, and all the other people who bought this game because they played Diablo 2 and thought Diablo 3 was a sequel. As our urine patters upon the supple sod, it trickles quietly towards its unseen destination before vanishing into the ground where the blades of grass meet the soil. Perhaps our pious offering will awaken the spirit of a real game, if only briefly, in our collective consciousness, and an umbra of Diablo 2, magnificient and radiant in all its glory, will bathe us in its golden light, a reminder that we once battled in the bygone days of game design. But the pattering slows, then stops. The apparition is gone. We zip our pants and the yolk of reality again weighs heavy about our necks: Diablo 2 decomposed long ago in a coffin labeled "Blizzard North."

I am a fu cking genius.
Edited by Fiste#1894 on 1/14/2013 1:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
OP has pointed out THE MAIN flaw of this game.

What SHOULD have happened is that an item gives you maybe 15-20 stat points MAX. So that when without items your Dex is like 200 or so at level 60, it DOESNT go up to freaking 2000-3000 after you equip items.

Wilson said that this game is "about them items". But in putting emphasis on items, he TOTALLY forgot about the character development. One indication of that is them assigning US the stat points when we level. They thought "hey, them itemz will be the main source of stat points, why not just let the game assign the useless stat points we get when we level"

What a colossal mistake.

Now I am not pointing to any other game when I say all this. It just made sense to me that Items should not be the SOLE thing that make your character. They should be a game changer and give you a little edge, but at the same time, how WE assigned the stat points should play a major role too

And dont even get me started about the abomination that is the skill system...I mean, they couldn't even add individual skilll leveling? so you know, we had A LITTLE freedom?

The thing about D2 and stat points was flawed in every way.

A sorc didnt put 1 point into energy, a nec didnt, a pally didnt etc. it all came from items.

A non melee didnt put any point into STR unless necessary for the armor, same about Dex for block.

In the end you just went for full vita, dex until max block, str until items are equipped and energy nobody specced unless you played a mana shield sorc.

So what was the point of these stats anyways?

I agree that it would be nice to be able to spec something which matters, but D2 did never had such a system, D1 had yes - but never D2.
Reply Quote

If by removing the item hunt you mean made trading 100x easier, then yes, they removed the item hunt.

I used to have over 100 items for trade at any given time because I could trade what I could access in my stash or on all of my mules at any given time. Now I'm limited to 10. How is this better?
Reply Quote

A sorc didnt put 1 point into energy, a nec didnt, a pally didnt etc. it all came from items.

A non melee didnt put any point into STR unless necessary for the armor, same about Dex for block.

In the end you just went for full vita, dex until max block, str until items are equipped and energy nobody specced unless you played a mana shield sorc.

So what was the point of these stats anyways?

And so it came to pass that they just removed stat point allocation altogether.

Another equally obvious solution would have been to keep them in, and fix the flawed implementation D2 had. Not saying that I know how, but there are bound to be better ways than the current state, in which 1 item gives more main stat than a level 60 character has by him/herself.

By removing the element of choice, the ability to learn from mistakes and to ultimately create a character that you could be proud of was also removed. All lvl 60 characters are the same, and you can change your profession on a whim.

What wicked world is this, in which a veteran swordmaster may pick up a spear the next day, and wield it with equal proficiency as he did his sword; the weapon he invested a lifetime of training into.

And what of these weapons, where one sword may strike its foe for tenfold the damage another sword may inflict, even though its blade is the same length, and cleaves the monster's belly with likewise ease?

There are few heroes that derived their power from their weapons, instead of wielding it with hard earned proficiency.

He-Man was one of them.

We are all He-Man.
Edited by peterned#1455 on 1/14/2013 3:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
By the power of Greyskull....you are absolutely correct
Reply Quote
01/13/2013 08:12 PMPosted by Calamity
If by removing the item hunt you mean made trading 100x easier, then yes, they removed the item hunt.

This comment pissed me off. Selling is NOT the same as Trading!

Diablo 3's fatal flaw with trading is that everything is too concrete and closed off from other people:

• X item is worth X amount of gold. This might be okay if you actually interacted with other players instead of a red button.
  • Want to give a free item with your trade? Not happening. You're on a damn auction house.
  • Experience the thrill of getting a bargain in a trade from a less experienced trader? Not happening. You're on the damn auction house.

This doesn't only apply to trading:

• Dueling happens in a closed area
  • The entire act setup is basically an on-rails action game
  • Your player customization is on-rails...stats are auto-allocated; despite the 9 billion build combinations or whatever it was (which was just a big number for show), there's STILL only a select number of cookie cutter builds that people really use
  • Farming sucks--there's only a few key locations people even go to..despite Blizzard's intentions

I was so excited for this game, but now i'm so sick of how limiting is, because of Blizzard's "design philosophy" BS. One patch a time, they're slowing making it into the game that people wanted IN THE FIRST PLACE.

/rant
Reply Quote
01/14/2013 02:19 AMPosted by Espinosa

While I agree that the use of the stat point system could be typically asinine, it was more about the fact that you were given the option to customize your character how you wanted.

If you wanted a super-vitality heavy character, you can pump a ton of points into Vitality. If you messed up your character, then you had to make a new one. What's wrong with that penalty?

I made a dozen Barbarians because of build experimentation, and I was excited to work on my "new axe barb" or whatever it was.

And if the system is too penalizing, why not just keep the stat system in place, with a stat-reset option (that's ridiculously expensive)?
Reply Quote
01/13/2013 07:31 PMPosted by Mendacium
This is completely and utterly illogical. This is a sequel developed by the same game company...it's not like they are starting from scratch.

Not until someone at blizz got involved and decided they should basically start from scratch and threw all the good stuff out the window.
Reply Quote
I had four different necro builds in D2....

There used to be an LOL necro build but it got
patched in 1.10 i think.
you summon a blood golem and put iron maiden
on your opponent or something like that and they
1 hit themselves every time.
Reply Quote
Eh even with the breakpoints in diablo 2, 90% of builds were pretty much cookie cutter.
Reply Quote
that question is very easy man.

LESS WHINNERS!!
Reply Quote
This is completely and utterly illogical. This is a sequel developed by the same game company...it's not like they are starting from scratch. Also, the features mentioned in the above post, namely that skill dps was independent of weapon dps, was in D2 upon initial release. Similarly, such a feature is commonplace is all other ARPGs as it is the easiest way to promote itemization.

Another FYI, D2: LOD was release 1 year after initial release, incorporating most of the enhancements that made that game a decade+ success. It didn't take 10 years to "fix" that game, so your reply is false on multiple fronts.

So much wrong with this. Companies don't make games, people make games. This is a totally different Dev team with a totally different take on the game. It was never going to be D2 with a graphics facelift.

The fact that Blizz updates, adds content, takes feedback seriously, should be commended. Blizzard has been made famous for this, always taking time to improve. This is not a downside. In fact you would be hard pressed to mention another company that paid this much attention to their games after their release (non MMO).

Last I checked D3 was an MMO.

And another game is very easy to name. Eve Online.

Or since you wanted non MMO. Minecraft.

@ OP

Go play a hammerdin without an enigma and tell me how great D2 is. Since it's not about the loot, go do it without gear.
Edited by Synol#1750 on 1/14/2013 7:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
Somewhat related to this thread...There is a book coming out about the history of the Diablo franchise. Definitely sounds interesting, with direct quotes from past Blizzard North devs and current Blizzard employees.

Here is the Q&A with the author....http://www.shacknews.com/article/76455/community-spotlight-the-man-behind-the-book-of-blizzard
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]