Diablo® III

So getting one shotted is dueling?

A score is not that hard, you could probably do that in a day, come on.
Reply Quote

Dueling isn't intended to be balanced, though, so don't expect a fair fight. That's not what dueling is about. There will probably be some match-ups in which you're one-shotted (this is a big reason why we have no permanent Hardcore deaths at the moment). There will also probably be some match-ups in which you one-shot other players. Your heroes are designed to kill things quickly and without mercy, and in this case those "things" just happen to be other heroes.

The words "no permanent Hardcore deaths at the moment" caught my eye. Does this mean eventually PvP in HC will have this option? If yes, SWEET!

One thing to note as I am sure you are aware, HC players have scaled differently. The ratio of DPS:eHP in HC is much more balanced, so it won't be as skewed. I'm sure high DPS DHs will still be unstoppable though
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 06:30 PMPosted by NOLLegendz
Umm I can tank 300k + dmg demon hunters with my barb. People just aren't geared right. And when everyone gears more toward survivaility their damage will go down which means less and less 1 shotting.

I agree with this.

Also, this would be nice:
it really isn't that bad .. only thing to change is to let people pick teams so you don't hurt your teammate(s)

2v2 3v1 or 1v1v1v1 or even 2v1v1
Reply Quote
Try a 75% dmg debuff and work from there imo. They did this in D2 and other such games.

On that note, anyone try heavy duty reflect builds yet?
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 05:47 PMPosted by Lylirra
Dueling isn't intended to be balanced, though, so don't expect a fair fight. That's not what dueling is about.

As it should be!!!! This is a PvE game. However, being that PvP was mentioned as a 'possible' addation, it made sense to add it in some way.

Everything is already balanced!!! You can roll any toon you wish, so if you think one toon is op then roll it for PvP, or better yet, try rolling a toon that is not op and beat the op toons with it for a challange.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
01/15/2013 06:33 PMPosted by SkiTz
May I ask why on earth did it take 8 months to release such an embarassment of a pvp mode? Seriously, you guys could have given this during the release... It's obvious very little time and effort was put into this system, yet it took this long to give the community such a simple pvp mode?? what a head scratcher.

We didn't spend 8 months on dueling. In fact, we had no plans to add dueling to the game until very recently, and that was both based on the community's consistent feedback as well as our decision to postpone the release of any additional PvP modes. You can read more about that here.
Reply Quote
Normally I defend this game but man dueling is pretty bad. Getting one-shotted isn't really that fun. Granted that's in my "farming" gear but dying just as you spawn isn't exactly a hoot.
Edited by HamburgerBun#1877 on 1/15/2013 6:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
curious if it would be possible to scale everything to a set standard, similar to challenge mode in WoW. with everyones gear and damage scaled the exact same, it becomes a game of skill>gear, which imo would be a lot more interesting. it would really bring bragging rights to a new level, rather than the pay to win system as is. just a thought.
Reply Quote
We implemented dueling to provide interested players a way to battle each other -- no objectives, no scoring, just Nephalem against Nephalem. It was something the community has been asking for, and with additional PvP modes still in development we honestly didn't have a good reason to keep saying no.

Dueling isn't intended to be balanced, though, so don't expect a fair fight. That's not what dueling is about. There will probably be some match-ups in which you're one-shotted (this is a big reason why we have no permanent Hardcore deaths at the moment). There will also probably be some match-ups in which you one-shot other players. Your heroes are designed to kill things quickly and without mercy, and in this case those "things" just happen to be other heroes.

We don't anticipate that everyone will like dueling. That's fine. While some players might really love it and find it a cool challenge, we're okay if most people don't make it an integral part of their gaming experience. The system exists to give you the opportunity to obliterate your opponents in an environment designed explicitly for that purpose, but that's it -- and we feel it achieves that goal pretty well.

Now, we're still open to your feedback and will be keeping a close on eye on it throughout the PTR process. We're not opposed to making changes if they benefit the game; in fact, that's what a PTR is all about. In return, we just ask that you keep in mind what the scope of what dueling is supposed to be, and that you give the system a fair shot before jumping to conclusions or making sweeping requests for buffs/debuffs/etc. Explore new builds, try out different tactics, and then let us know what you think. If we make changes, we want them to be informed, and that tends to work out best if the feedback you give us is also informed (i.e. not just a judgment based on only a few minutes of gameplay). :)

+infinity
Reply Quote
Kill score and time, just it, so we can create our rules, for example, whoever get 10 kills firts o who get more kills before 5 minutes win, we just need it.
Reply Quote
a) no one is gearing specifically for dueling now. you are asking things based on a player base unprepared for dueling.. I believe dueling gear is high dps and high ehp. ehp in terms of armor/resist mitigation is pointless, going for any form of ehp will do . ie: someone with 100k-200k dps and 2mil ehp is going to last longer. (unless of course you have something like 4k regen and force armor on..)

b) crit chance and procs to crits and thus crit dmg is also pointless except for pure damage aspect, its cheaper to gear out of crit gear to ruby for pvp. (ie: neglect crit, go for ias + damage).

c) so in line with that the new marquise amethysts and marquis armor will be ok for dueling.

---
does anyone now think jay wilson saying team dm without objectives/rewards are pointless is right? I played pvp for a while, winning some and losing some. now I'm already bored with it. because playing dueling on ptr is the same as playing dueling in live (ie: nothing to gain for it) . I'm not going to respec all my gear or rather make a expensive dueling suit for no good reason.

---
yeah zero dog build is overpowered, but pretty much certain someone somewhere can counter it eventually. (eg: a perma freeze wiz teleports to a zerodog guy.. he's pretty much gone as well i think). maybe to counter it, health globes are public. so a zero dog guy using it on others just heal them too.

---
if you want to do scoring, it should be scored on number of kills, even if fights are fast and quick, something like best 100 out of 199 should win.. they can tweak things out thereafter by

a) global damage reduction: eg: tweak around or allow the game creator to tweak it. from 10% to 80%

b) global health increase

c) minimum cd period that is implemented for ALL skills. (ie: perma freeze/ww and zero dogs then have a minimum cd period (eg: 3 seconds-5 seconds), sure it will disable those builds for pvp or make them largely ineffective. so choose another build). it will certainly help with smokescreen legacy nats dhs as well.
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 1/15/2013 7:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
We implemented dueling to provide interested players a way to battle each other -- no objectives, no scoring, just Nephalem against Nephalem. It was something the community has been asking for, and with additional PvP modes still in development we honestly didn't have a good reason to keep saying no.

We don't anticipate that everyone will like dueling. That's fine. While some players might really love it and find it a cool challenge, we're okay if most people don't make it an integral part of their gaming experience. The system exists to give you the opportunity to obliterate your opponents in an environment designed explicitly for that purpose, but that's it -- and we feel it achieves that goal pretty well.

Now, we're still open to your feedback and will be keeping a close on eye on it throughout the PTR process. We're not opposed to making changes if they benefit the game; in fact, that's what a PTR is all about. In return, we just ask that you keep in mind the scope of what dueling is supposed to be, and that you give the system a fair shot before jumping to conclusions or making sweeping requests for buffs/debuffs/etc. Explore new builds, try out different tactics, and then let us know what you think. If we make changes, we want them to be informed, and that tends to work out best if the feedback you give us is also informed (i.e. not just a judgment based on only a few minutes of gameplay). :)

Sooooo when is the real PvP going to arrive then? Dueling where you die in one-two shots is hardly a duel (in a fantasy setting) it is more about luck and who sees who first (reduce damage accross the board to make add a little more skill). So glad I can play on my bros account right now and not buy gear because PvP is going to take some serious work (TBH you have had a long long long time to make it work lets forget that).
Edited by Tyrant#6804 on 1/15/2013 7:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 06:00 PMPosted by Lylirra
why not give a damage reduction for pvp. at least give every class the 30%

Like I said, we're not opposed to making changes, even ones along the lines of a universal damage debuff while in the dueling zone. The point of the PTR is to get feedback from players so we can make those kinds of tuning adjustments if necessary.

We've only got a few hours of feedback at the moment, though, and we'd like to get a better picture of what players' general experience has been before we start talking about possible changes. For example, I'm betting that a lot of players are still dueling in their farming builds, rather than something that's been refined and tailored for PvP-style combat -- which can make a difference. We also want to make sure that the people who are providing feedback understand what dueling is supposed to be (i.e. not a place you go to for super balanced battles).

Dueling is eactly what it needs to be. I do think however the one shots need to be addressed some how. berserker, SSS and couple other abilities like archon need to reduced for pvp.
Reply Quote
this whole dueling crap is all about who stuns who first, stupid and not enjoyable.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]