Diablo® III

So getting one shotted is dueling?

I would like to see 5 things on PvP

1. De-buff all player damage by 50% so the fights last longer

2. Scoreboard - something simple like kills/deaths with the score starting at zero each time you join a new game

3. PvP only games - force players to chose PvP or completing a quest upon starting a public game. Otherwise you will have 1 or 2 players in the arena and the others doing quests

4. No cool downs (or very short cool downs) on skill changes while in the arena - keeps the action fresh with everyone swapping around skills on the fly

5. Give the victor instant full health upon the death of the opponent (or a health globe) - you may be the best player in the arena but you will eventually die because there is no easy way to regen life
Reply Quote
Simple fix: when hit with a fatal attack, you have 1-3 seconds on invul time to try and bring your opponent down too. (Even if you heal for infinite you still survive for a couple of seconds. Any checks for "brought back to X health when taking a fatal blow" are done first.)
Reply Quote
It's too soon to call for PvP damage reductions. Remember that everyone has been building more and more DPS-heavy characters ever since the Inferno nerfs started. Pit those builds against eachother into PvP and of course they'll instagib eachother. It's possible that dueling will work fine once a metagame of more defensive builds starts to come together - and if it doesn't, they can nerf damage then.
Reply Quote
Dueling is absolutely great.

1 shot?
Then Get urself defensive mechanism!
Get a shield
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 04:59 PMPosted by vexorian
Isn't that exactly how duels in the wild west were?

You are so correct. I guess folks don't want Wild West-style pistols at high noon, they want the bar-room brawl.
Reply Quote
We implemented dueling to provide interested players a way to battle each other -- no objectives, no scoring, just Nephalem against Nephalem. It was something the community has been asking for, and with additional PvP modes still in development we honestly didn't have a good reason to keep saying no.

Dueling isn't intended to be balanced, though, so don't expect a fair fight. That's not what dueling is about. There will probably be some match-ups in which you're one-shotted (this is a big reason why we have no permanent Hardcore deaths at the moment). There will also probably be some match-ups in which you one-shot other players. Your heroes are designed to kill things quickly and without mercy, and in this case those "things" just happen to be other heroes.

We don't anticipate that everyone will like dueling. That's fine. While some players might really love it and find it a cool challenge, we're okay if most people don't make it an integral part of their gaming experience. The system exists to give you the opportunity to obliterate your opponents in an environment designed explicitly for that purpose, but that's it -- and we feel it achieves that goal pretty well.

Now, we're still open to your feedback and will be keeping a close on eye on it throughout the PTR process. We're not opposed to making changes if they benefit the game; in fact, that's what a PTR is all about. In return, we just ask that you keep in mind the scope of what dueling is supposed to be, and that you give the system a fair shot before jumping to conclusions or making sweeping requests for buffs/debuffs/etc. Explore new builds, try out different tactics, and then let us know what you think. If we make changes, we want them to be informed, and that tends to work out best if the feedback you give us is also informed (i.e. not just a judgment based on only a few minutes of gameplay). :)

So what were you guys doing for 8 months?
Reply Quote
I'd say their best bet is to take Crits out of PVP all together. I'm not getting one-shotted by peoples regular attacks and skills. It's mostly the massive crits that are killing me and I only have 30k health-600AR

However crits are hitting me for like 100k damage and my crits are taking people down too soooo yeah
Edited by Vanguardian#1813 on 1/15/2013 8:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
I would like to see 5 things on PvP

1. De-buff all player damage by 50% so the fights last longer

2. Scoreboard - something simple like kills/deaths with the score starting at zero each time you join a new game

3. PvP only games - force players to chose PvP or completing a quest upon starting a public game. Otherwise you will have 1 or 2 players in the arena and the others doing quests

4. No cool downs (or very short cool downs) on skill changes while in the arena - keeps the action fresh with everyone swapping around skills on the fly

5. Give the victor instant full health upon the death of the opponent (or a health globe) - you may be the best player in the arena but you will eventually die because there is no easy way to regen life

4-5 are terrible idea
But i totaly agree with 1-2-3
Reply Quote
hello folks i just did duels for about (barb) an hr and it was great i died a bazillion times and got 1 shotted a bazillion times. still it was great i did my share of killing aswell. heres one thing i see maybe an issue.

1: dodge while its great in all but melee vs ranged its bad im running up to a dh and dead im running up to wd im dead ranged shouldnt have dodge chance. the 2-3 times i actually got off a few skills the dh dodged 4 times in a row gg me go splat lol.

2: witch dr. i use ranged skills for barb cause well how else you gonna get a hit in lol? anyway i shoot shoot shoot when i actually get the chance but it hits all there minions totally ignoring all my damage and he can los me but you cant los a wd!
Edited by scott#1263 on 1/15/2013 8:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
resilience will fix it
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 08:43 PMPosted by Vapala
resilience will fix it

10man or 25man :) lol
Reply Quote
honestly this sounds fun...1 shotted or not, and it really sounds like those getting 1shotted just arn't prepared for dualing, which isn't their fault, it's just not on anyones mindset right now.
Im excited, im a barb, and this does sound fun.
1. gear right
2. skill right
3. have fun

those just seem like the 3 things everyone should be paying attention too, NO NERFS!
Edited by monkeycowman#1311 on 1/15/2013 9:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
versus
http://tinyurl.com/aq6ltj4

The choice is yours^^

That Trailer is only a few hours old btw ;)
8 more Days to go.

gotta say, that is looking pretty appealing compared to this.
Reply Quote
Coming from a Vitaballer sorc in diablo 2, more room to move around in the dueling areas would be nice, also I think it would be cool if we had some sort of high vantage point where we could watch dueling going on below while still staying out of the way, this was something we accomplished in diablo 2 by sitting next to town but since the graphics in this game allow for this kind of feature I see no reason to not implement it, so when people are in a full game and taking turns dueling instead of doing free for all everyone can watch.
Reply Quote
honestly, it would be more fun and add balance (and a goal) to incorporate something like the PvP points currency in WoW. Add a PvP gear vender that will sell various PvP specific gear. I have no idea how you can balance that with normal PvE gear, but at least it will give people something to work towards. Perhaps design the PvP gear to roll semi random stats that are BIS, but players are unable to use it in PvE. That way, someone who is great at PvP can eventually compete with people who buy BIS gear on the AH/RMAH.

It is also pretty obvious that you will have to design FFA dueling rules...think old school GoldenEye. The party leader can pick a type of dual, whether is be a timed dual or best of X matches or first to x kills. You can also add other choices to mix it up, damage reduction settings, global health globes, no health globes, other handicapping choices. This would actually be incredibly fun and add incentive for groups of friends to start playing together again (such as my group, only 2 of us out of 10 even play the game anymore.)
Reply Quote
If you really consider this to be the way "some people" want to see pvp, you are completely out of your mind. No one wants to run around and get one shot by every single character, there is no form of fun involved in something like this... If you want to see this game rise from the ashes and not fail, like it is doing now... You are going to have to reduce the amount of damage that players are doing significantly. I have tried a ton of builds, and was what I would say one of the better players on Diablo2, WoW, League of Legends etc... There is no room to have fun when every single class has the ability to one shot on crit... There wouldn't even be room to have fun if only one of these classes was doing this. If you guys knew it was like this I don't understand why you wouldn't have reduced the damage in the pvp zone, obviously theres no way to reduce the damage other wise. Unless you plan to implement some sort of PVP gear. Then again how are you going to do that with out people having to farm pve or start playing PVP where they are getting one shot... The simplest suggestion would be to just reduce the amount of damage players are doing in the PVP zone. I understand this is till the beta and, that's what you guys are trying to do, I am just simply giving my advice... If any of the designers of the game, actually PLAYED the game for fun, or to make some margin of profit, you would understand how terribly your failing. I could also say that there needs to be some sort of demenishing returns, for everyone. every character has the potential to completely crowd control the opponent until they die.
Edited by Korean#1844 on 1/15/2013 10:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
So just eliminate CRIT completely. When PVPing, you have no Crit. Simple fix really. We are Nephalem. We are above crit on each other.

Then suddenly the playing field is a bit more level. Personally, I think the Crit and the pets/turrets/hydras need to go during PVP. Things that act independently. You can have your spells, rain of arrows, blizzard, defensive spells, but eliminate those things only.

This will do a lot to narrow the difference. You might see longer and mightier battles this way.

I have a CM wiz. If I can get my opponent frozen, they are pretty much !@#$ed. I don't do a lot of damage, but it hurts them if they can't fight back. However if I do this against those with things like turrets or hydras, they DON'T freeze! So you have to time it where you aren't near them things. Mostly she does not have a lot of resistance/armor yet, so she is a bit glass.

My DH I have changed out her skills to better accommodate the PVP system. I use glyphs cast on the opponent to increase damage taken. Trail of Cinders for a hot foot. Some smoke screen, though I find that barely useful. Traps may be very useful. But I can kill fairly quickly with the DH, as she does more damage than my Wiz.

Barb is wimpy on damage and armor/RA, but if I can get the stun in, I can usually kill the opponent. Trick I find with barbs is to keep them moving and fast! Lots of sprint. Then get in close (without any pets or hydras around) stun and kill them fast. But he can get killed pretty easy by arcane wiz, WDs, etc.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]