Diablo® III

Updated: Your favorite and least favorite random event?

View profile
  • My favorite: Act 1 - Jar of soul.
  • This random event is simply well designed. It never gets old (my opinion, of course!). As you level up and grow stronger, this event remains interesting. First, monsters come in waves, slow at the beginning, then progressively more and more --- the more you kill, there more there is! Truly awesome (unlike the pillar). Second, they GIVE XP and drop loots. You're being rewarded for being strong, as you will be able to score over 120 kills, if not more. Lastly, the event grants a NV stack, along with additional loots. It's by far my favorite event and I hope Blizzard implements more events like this.

• My least favorite is probably not everyone's most hated, but here it is... Act 2 - The Crumbling Vault.
  • Most random events actually reward you (well... except maybe act 4, but that's another story) for completing it. The Crumbling vault tends to do the opposite. This quest had such a grandiose potential. Firstly, it was a timed event (and the only one). Second, it had "promising rewards" for completing it. Lastly, there's a couple of achievement linked to it.

The problem with Crumbling Vault is that you're better off killing everything in it, as you would be rewarded more than actually rushing for the reward. There's a good density of monster with many elites and possibility of goblins. Quite frankly, it's a good place to clear. You now have an unattractive reward.

A simple solution would be to allow you to re-enter the dungeon after (successfully) completing it. Right now, you may only re-enter the treasure room.

EDIT: (20/01/2013)

Extra question for the conversation:

How do you decide which event should be skipped and which event should be done?

After reading through all 9 pages, here's a few things I've noticed. Feel free to agree or disagree and say why.

Those who stood out, IMO.

Positive

• Jar of Soul is by far the most loved event. I've already stated my reasons and I think many people share the same view. Having more events like this one would definitely be a step in the right direction.
  • Jar of soul proves something to us. The event does NOT need to have a elite or a purple monster in it to make it worthwhile to our eyes. A large density of monster can do just as fine, if not better. Obviously, those monsters actually need to give XP/drop loots.

• Another one that people showed a lot of interest in was the Old Man. For those who may or may not be too familiar with whom the Old Man is, he's part of a random event in the Fields of Misery - act 1. He's a purple Tree (and the only one) guarding a very tempting chest. Upon opening the Chest itself, the Old Man awakens along with a few of his brethren, seeking to kill the greedy Hero who fell into their trap.
  • This event shows that even a small number of mobs can be satisfying. The Old Man provides an unexpected challenge (that poison!) and upon defeating him (if you didn't run away with the loots), you get twice the loot! It's a relatively simple event, yet really rewarding. It doesn't require a lot of backtracking either.

• Act 2 - Extra dungeons. While exploring the Act 2, we may discover a few random events that unlock an additional dungeon. Whether it is the treasure rooms or the Cave of the borrowing horror, those additional dungeon provides extra elites along with a shiny chest.
  • The treasure events are probably the favorite. There's quite a few elites in those dungeons and the end-rewards are a shiny chest/purple monster. While those dungeons may require some backtracking, they are definitely worth it for those who are not using a watch to see how much XP they gain per hour.

• Act 2 - A Frightened little Girl mourning over dead bodies.
  • This event feels a bit more "Diablo" than others, horror wise. You, being a good Samaritan, go out of your way to help that poor soul out --- but there's no girl. It was an illusion, an ambush! While this is your typical random event with 1 elite/purple, this is far from being boring (subjective). It gives you a "oh snap" moment when you see those cultists ambushing you. I may not speak for the majority, but I think people enjoyed this event.

I used 4 different example to show that events can be rewarding for different reasons. Fighting waves of monsters (that drops items and give XP) is fun. Doing an event that rewards you twice is fun too. A challenging event with an exceptional monster is fun for many of us. Extra dungeons make things more interesting for those who seek to explore the world. Obviously, short, but efficient events are good as well.

Negative

• Act 2 - those random "cellar", mostly in the Oasis.
  • Let's be honest, those events are lackluster after the first time (the only exception I'd make would be that cannibal. That journal of his was WORTH IT... IMO of course). They are the epitome of what's wrong with some random events --- Little to no density of monster - No reward - No stacks - Lackluster Purple monster. I could be wrong, but I believe people do random events for one of those reasons (density, reward, stacks or good purple). They don't want to spend time on something unrewarding.

• Uninspiring events in general.
  • I'll use one example that I'm sure we've all experienced. We're hunting the Keywarden in act 2. Well, he's one hard fellow to find... so in our journey, we've all encountered that poor fellow, tied up next to a house, with the corpse of another poor soul laying next to him. Well, let's help him out shall we? No... not really. That event is horrible. A few generic mobs spawn to "ambush you" (Oh no, we've been found!). The reward? 1 item. 1 item that can very well be white!... often blue, sometimes rare. This event is a waste of time, seriously.

Why did I take this one as an example? Let's go back to act 1 for a second. In the Fields of Misery, one of the random event consist of "looting" one of the scarecrow. Upon looting it, a rare pack of bats attack you. I personally thing there should be more events like this (but please, make them less predictable!). The parallel I wanted to make is that the event should have spawned a rare pack of snake-men!

Another bad event that comes to my mind is the Child of Blood, in act 2 - Oasis. Upon disrupting bones near a source of water, there's quite a lot of skeletons that spawn along with a purple monster. The problem? That purple monster drops literally nothing and I think (could be wrong) that the skeletons don't drop items nor do they give XP (only the "bones and skeleton corpse" can give loots, but those are the same generic corpse you see everywhere). Random events need to be rewarding. We don't want to smash some mobs that rewards nothing!

Edit: 21/01/13 fixed some grammatical errors.
    Edited by DoomBringer#1994 on 1/21/2013 3:43 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    Off of the top of my head, I have to say that the "Jar of Souls" event is also my favorite, as well. Every time I encounter it, I try to increase my kill streak.

Keep in mind that not only does the frequency and volume of skeletons increase; the mob type gets upgraded if you progress quickly enough.
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    Off of the top of my head, I have to say that the "Jar of Souls" event is also my favorite, as well. Every time I encounter it, I try to increase my kill streak.

Keep in mind that not only does the frequency and volume of skeletons increase; the mob type gets upgraded if you progress quickly enough.

What's your least favorite?

As for the mob upgrade, I've only noticed the one with axe that swings in circle.
    Reply Quote
    Most of the other events in the game are just small set pieces that spawn an easily killed elite. Such as the Necro event, Gharbad, the hostages in the oasis, etc
    Reply Quote
    +1 for jar of souls, for reasons already stated.

-1 for the other cemetery random event simply because I didn't get the jar of souls event. It's only redeeming factor is that it is so easy to do.

(if you don't already know already, you dont have to kill a single thing for that event, just trigger all three whatever-the-hell-they-are, the ghost guy will only spawn once, once you have done that, click on the tomb, ghost disappears, loots fall from the sky.)
    Reply Quote
    my favorite is also in one of the crypts where you push 3 yellow dots, one of which spawns a ghost, but u dont even need to kill it, just click the urn or whatever and it despawns, easiest NV stack ever!

Least favorite event is the blacksmith in keeps1, because it takes forever I always skip it.
    Reply Quote
    I love Jar of Souls event. I hate the The Ancient Device Wheel of Misfortune because of the low spawn chance.
    Reply Quote
    +1 for jar of souls, for reasons already stated.

-1 for the other cemetery random event simply because I didn't get the jar of souls event. It's only redeeming factor is that it is so easy to do.

(if you don't already know already, you dont have to kill a single thing for that event, just trigger all three whatever-the-hell-they-are, the ghost guy will only spawn once, once you have done that, click on the tomb, ghost disappears, loots fall from the sky.)

You don't have to, but if you trigger all three you can get a decent kill chain bonus..
    Reply Quote
    Community Manager
    We'd love to hear which random events you like and why, and the first post in this thread provides excellent feedback, since it lets us know exactly what a player thinks works well and what didn't jive with them and why. If you have ideas on what you think would have improved certain events and made them more fun and engaging, please let us know. :)
    Reply Quote
    Jar of souls. The endless waves of monsters is probably the most fun event in the game, hands down. I would love to see more events like it, especially ones with multiple and longer waves. I have always been a fan of the endless dungeons, and endless wave formats.
    Reply Quote
    I'd personally like events that were a bigger diversion from what we normally do. An obstacle course, or figuring out a puzzle. All we do is kill monsters.
    Reply Quote
    It's not technically an event, but the door on the Rakkis Crossing bridge that is sometimes yellow, meaning an elite is guaranteed on the other side, is a nice detour.

Least favorite: the side rooms in Act 4 that don't provide much reward. Seems incomplete.
    Reply Quote
    Jar of souls is clearly everyone's favorite. I like the one in the depths with the blacksmith as well...
    Reply Quote
    My favorites are the two necromancer events in act 2! Not sure why, but I just love running across them.
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    01/18/2013 02:05 PMPosted by Vaeflare
    We'd love to hear which random events you like and why, and the first post in this thread provides excellent feedback, since it lets us know exactly what a player thinks works well and what didn't jive with them and why. If you have ideas on what you think would have improved certain events and made them more fun and engaging, please let us know. :)

I can think of some events that need some work. In act 3, there's the Blaze of Glory and Forge in Battle. Mobs that spawn in those events are limited (I mean, there's a finite number of them) and don't grant XP nor do they drop items. Only the purple monster give XP and items. There's a few more of those random events in which mobs don't give XP.

Random events don't need to give amazing rewards on their own, but if it spawns a considerable amount of monsters (that gives XP and drop items), people will do them. Events such as Blaze of Glory and Forge in battle often are ignored because you fight horde of monsters for "nothing".
    Reply Quote
    jar of souls!! would love endless waves
    Reply Quote
    Wheel of misfortune is the only one I need for 100% campaign completion, I have stopped trying to complete it.
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    I like the little girl in act 2 that spawns a ton of monsters. It has the idea of helping a little girl only to be tricked into an ambush and I love it. Reminds me of how dark Diablo should really be, children dieing family's broken and evil truly relishing in all it's glory. If only there were more events like that.

My least favorite event would have to be either the carrion farm event or the one in festering woods that rarely spawns that sends the small white mobs at you. They both don't seem that threatening.
    Reply Quote
    jar of souls

double it!^^
    Reply Quote
    I personally love a couple of the events in the fields of misery:

1. I forget the exact name, it's like forelorn farm or something like that, but involves killing all those bat hives, and then you get to kill a purple at the end of it. It's dropped 2 legendaries for me so far out of about 20 tries.

2. The event where you open the resplendant chest and all the crazy HUGE trees come to life. Always a challenge and double the reward when you kill the purple tree. I think his name is the old man or something.

Least favorites: delivering the looking glass to the watchtower dude in act 3 (not worth the trek; not always guaranteed elite group) and fighting off the skeletons for the iron smith in the keeps (takes forever; minimal reward).
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]