Diablo® III

Updated: Your favorite and least favorite random event?

I like the one in Act 4 where you step on panel to make them materialize and then a monster crashes down to guard it. The only problem with it is the reward is !@#$.

In general, I like events that just have creative monster ambushes much more than the ones that try to have a "character" you interact with. Event NPCs reduce replayability because they get annoying the 3rd or 4th time you repeat the event hearing them repeat their spiel over and over again. If an event is not intended to be repeatable, I don't know why Blizzard would bother spending the manpower to put it into the game.

Also the rewards should encourage the player to seek out events. For the most part, that's not the case currently because elite-hunting is worth more than the average event.
Reply Quote
this post is amazing! I totally agree with all of OP's points.

I absolutely hate any of the prisoner events (this includes all of the cellars) in Act II Oasis--none of them feel particularly worth my time because not only are the monsters not challenging, there's no reward at the end!
The only exception is the one where you have to free 3 prisoners. That one is ok. The others should be more like this.

Come to think of it, I just dislike many of the events in Act II period. Act II feels like such an expansive place with large sections to explore, but in the end, it's mostly just empty, and that is why I avoid Act II if I can (except for Vault of the Assassin).

As for events that I like...pretty much any event from Act I! I feel like Act I was the most thought out of all the acts, where all the events are streamlined and immersive. They almost all give rewards (a stack or loot). The only things I don't like from Act I is finding the Khazra Den and Kayrna's Staff--those both involve running around searching for something in a giant, mostly empty map (read: it's boring).
Reply Quote
Favorite random event: Announcement of Diablo 3
Least favorite: The release of what was claimed to be a Diablo game.

What I'm looking forward to: Marvel Heroes and new mechs in Hawken.

Chances I will buy Blizzard products in the future?
Slim since the Diablo franchise is now dead and very few changes have occurred with the HOTS beta. Good luck with your future Blizzard since your current direction has alienated many of your fans.
Reply Quote
Jar of Souls without a doubt. It provides the feeling of actually fighting against hordes of monsters AND I have actually gotten some decent drops in Inferno from it. A close second goes to the Old Man as mention in the OP. This event provides a little of that "epic" feeling that one should get when stumbling upon a legendary/unique monster. It even has the feeling that there must be a great story behind the monster.

Every event in Act 4 is incredibly lackluster. None of the random "dungeons" have any flavor or feeling of a back story to the "event". They are all simply copies of one another, with similar monsters and rares that spawn after killing the initial mobs. Very little imagination and reward. The only difference between each of these is the name of the spawned area.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 01:50 PMPosted by vortic
Come to think of it, I just dislike many of the events in Act II period. Act II feels like such an expansive place with large sections to explore, but in the end, it's mostly just empty

You need to check out more of Act 2 ... there are some nice events but, they need to have thier rewards and difficulty scaled with MP imho.
Reply Quote
this post is amazing! I totally agree with all of OP's points.

I absolutely hate any of the prisoner events (this includes all of the cellars) in Act II Oasis--none of them feel particularly worth my time because not only are the monsters not challenging, there's no reward at the end!
The only exception is the one where you have to free 3 prisoners. That one is ok. The others should be more like this.

Come to think of it, I just dislike many of the events in Act II period. Act II feels like such an expansive place with large sections to explore, but in the end, it's mostly just empty, and that is why I avoid Act II if I can (except for Vault of the Assassin).

As for events that I like...pretty much any event from Act I! I feel like Act I was the most thought out of all the acts, where all the events are streamlined and immersive. They almost all give rewards (a stack or loot). The only things I don't like from Act I is finding the Khazra Den and Kayrna's Staff--those both involve running around searching for something in a giant, mostly empty map (read: it's boring).

Thanks!

Act 2 has good events. Our negative image of act 2 probably has something to do with the Oasis (when doing keywarden). We keep seeing those "bad" events again and again. If you visit the sewers (I forgot which one), there's one of the most unique event in there. You fight one of those purple specter ghost thingy that can fly through walls. He will merge with piles of bodies to become something else. I didn't fight him too ofter, sadly, because he's not part of my farming route in act 2.

01/21/2013 02:23 PMPosted by Villein
Come to think of it, I just dislike many of the events in Act II period. Act II feels like such an expansive place with large sections to explore, but in the end, it's mostly just empty

You need to check out more of Act 2 ... there are some nice events but, they need to have thier rewards and difficulty scaled with MP imho.

Indeed, events need to be rewarding. At very least, we must feel that it was well worth our time.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 03:33 PMPosted by DoomBringer
Indeed, events need to be rewarding. At very least, we must feel that it was well worth our time.

And not just "worth our time" to do the event, but also worth our time to FIND the event. If we wander around a map for 5 minutes looking for an event, and then spend 2 minutes completing the event, that event needs to be worth 7 minutes of our time (not 2 minutes). So, let us say that it takes 1 minute to locate and kill an elite pack, then the event needs to drop 7 times as much loot to be worth it...or it needs to be 7 times more thrilling/exciting as the elite pack (a player can be rewarded with more than loot...it is possible that the player can be rewarded with such things as experience or even (shock!) entertaining game-play).
Reply Quote
I think mostly everyone's fav should be jar of souls, its the best to see waves and waves of monsters!

Bu

My least fav, must be those act 3 protect the wounded. So annoying. NO rewards. no elite :/
Reply Quote
I really like a number of the events in Act 2--they have a sense of humor and are fun. I especially like the one where you're racing against the clock. It's just some of the outdoor monsters are so skittish that I don't spent much time in A2.
Reply Quote
I would just like to add that the Daughters of Pain event is anti-climatic. They should be purple mobs with special abilities and not just ordinary harpies. That event feels really off.
Reply Quote
my least favorite event is the duping session that started this week
Reply Quote
Favorite: Jar Of Souls.
I honestly love how the event is literally one where you just try to outlast the enemies which can be hard sometimes, and this is an event I would love to do over and over since it never really gets old as easily as you'd think.

I hate anything in the Blistering Sands, or if it's the area where you can find the Black Rock Ledger pages, I hate that whole place and would pay to skip it, not even kidding. I know you guys are asking for Events, but i don't have a least favorite one, i only hate areas in the game and some enemies, like Fallen Maniacs or Lacuni, or even the Desert Wasps, all in act 2.
Reply Quote
I made a thread earlier about an event I'd like to see.. almost similar to the Jar of Souls, except a lot more intense, and more of a random encounter out in the open world (like the treasure goblin)

What i'd like to see is something that triggers an event out in the open world that causes hoards upon hoards of enemies to attack you. Diverse enough that you'd see monsters not native to the act your in, but hard enough that you'd have to find a build to deal with all of it so you wouldn't lose your NV stacks. The event maybe lasts 1-2 min where hundreds upon hundreds of monsters would attack you in that time.

The trigger? Possibly an un-dead wolf you run into (like a treasure goblin) that lets out a howl that summons all the hoards. Or possibly you hit a tree and it drops a some sort of screamer monster that summons the hoards.
Reply Quote
1 Undead Monk
Requirements for a great random event:
Ambush. Hordes. Phat loot. No downtime. Decent length of time.

Perfect example:
Promo video of Barb vs streams of demons and ends in Seigebreaker fight, which ends AGAIN in more waves of skeletons.

The whole game should have fairly hectic monster density; the random Events should be so over the top you are borderline dead the whole time. And drowning in loot/gold/xp.

Most disappointing events: Mass Grave, Holy Sanctum. These should be insane. But they are meh.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]