Diablo® III

Updated: Your favorite and least favorite random event?

View profile
Least Favorite:

Dargon, that treacherous cur.
Because it reminded me how long I was stuck in act 1 pre 1.03.

B-b-but! At least now, the elite pack that spawns with him drops loots, giving you twice the reward...!
Reply Quote
Everything in a3 is silly.

Anvil that gives you a white item usually, the wait for all the mobs to spawn(rakkis has 1 and keeps 1 has 1) is a dagger in my side as well.

Jar of Souls was cool when i was a noob but same problem having to wait for all that to spawn i usually just run off wait for it to be done and click the jar. Not much of a good event. Same with the event in the crypts.
Reply Quote
This game would be epic if, instead of farming for (fill in the blank), players thought the events were always the best thing to farm... especially if ALL events were worth playing (with rare events being even more rewarding).
Reply Quote
We'd love to hear which random events you like and why, and the first post in this thread provides excellent feedback, since it lets us know exactly what a player thinks works well and what didn't jive with them and why. If you have ideas on what you think would have improved certain events and made them more fun and engaging, please let us know. :)

Best event:

Jar of Souls: best resemblance of a pvm survival arena which is why I like it.

Worst events:

Matriarch: For obvious reasons, just click three urns and then click the tomb and you're done. If anything have 3 different ghosts (husband, father, brother maybe) for each urn and when you open the final tomb for your reward the three pop up again all at once attacking you (or an elite spawns behind you).

Mining: Not sure what it's called, act 2 before road of alcarnus their is a dungeon which talks about cultists killing these miners and then a monster killing them all. Horrible fight with only one lame unique and horrible reward being a normal treasure chest, kinda like the act 1 halls of agony with the guy that is trapped in the iron maiden and you fight off a unique, so boring for a horrible reward.

I really want to see some epic events that are actually challenging and are only found in Inferno.

A pvm survival arena mode would also be awesome.
Reply Quote
  • My favorite: Act 1 - Jar of soul.
  • This random event is simply well designed. It never gets old (my opinion, of course!). As you level up and grow stronger, this event remains interesting. First, monsters come in waves, slow at the beginning, then progressively more and more --- the more you kill, there more there is! Truly awesome (unlike the pillar). Second, they GIVE XP and drop loots. You're being rewarded for being strong, as you will be able to score over 120 kills, if not more. Lastly, the event grants a NV stack, along with additional loots. It's by far my favorite event and I hope Blizzard implements more events like this.

• My least favorite is probably not everyone's most hated, but here it is... Act 2 - The Crumbling Vault.
  • Most random events actually reward you (well... except maybe act 4, but that's another story) for completing it. The Crumbling vault tends to do the opposite. This quest had such a grandiose potential. Firstly, it was a timed event (and the only one). Second, it had "promising rewards" for completing it. Lastly, there's a couple of achievement linked to it.

The problem with Crumbling Vault is that you're better off killing everything in it, as you would be rewarded more than actually rushing for the reward. There's a good density of monster with many elites and possibility of goblins. Quite frankly, it's a good place to clear. You now have an unattractive reward.

A simple solution would be to allow you to re-enter the dungeon after (successfully) completing it. Right now, you may only re-enter the treasure room.

Fantastic post.

My favourite is by far Jar of Souls as well.

The rest are just secondary, no least favourite though. They're all equally mediocre, yet somewhat fun :)

I also enjoy the Shrine of Rakanishu event a lot because of its throwback to D2 and generally how Rakanishu is an important demon to the fallen. I also think the Shrine event is well placed usually in the center of Dahlgur Oasis, since I do mp10 key runs, having that stack from the event is mighty convenient and is rewarding. Destroying the several pillars is also very easy and fun without any real time wasted.
    Edited by Aaown#1841 on 1/18/2013 5:11 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    don't do events any more at all since game turned into an endless grind for pointless XP and trash loot
    Reply Quote
    I love the ancient device in act 2. The randomness of this event is particularly appealing. The other day I found "The Fowl Lair" from the event and I lol'd.
    Reply Quote
    ... and worst of all, there is no reward since you get no loot and no nephalim valor for completing it. The elite skeleton just makes the whole thing worse because he doesn't drop anything of value and doesn't provide nephalim bonus and is not any different from an actual elite pack which would do those things.

Love your post, but that's not right. After killing the skeleton you have to talk to the blacksmith again, then you'll get the stack.
    But I agree to the rest.

I think there is no common theme if a monster gives loot/exp. Blizzard has to work on it. F.e. the demon soldiers climbing up the walls on skycrown. There is no reason why they give no loot/exp.
    Reply Quote
    2. The event where you open the resplendant chest and all the crazy HUGE trees come to life. Always a challenge and double the reward when you kill the purple tree. I think his name is the old man or something.

This. This event is like the summary of almost everything fun about a Diablo game, a treasure and some creepy Evil Dead fellow waiting behind it. And no matter what MP you are playing at, this one is always challenging and thrilling, one or two seconds of mistake and you are dead xD

My second favorite would be Jar of Souls as well.

I can't remember which one would be my last favorite, I completely skip some of them if they are the one that drop only blue and white items.

I find myself killing skeletons for blacksmith in Keep 1, but it is very annoying because blacksmith is just talking too much before and after the event is completed, it is actually just like the Jar of Souls event that is favored by most people here but stained with tons of worthless babbling
    Reply Quote
    Hate raising catapults in Act 3. Too much time for nothing. Like the events in Fields of Misery and the Ancient Device.
    Reply Quote
    The Holy Sanctum needs work, the monsters that come down when you step on the plates give ZERO experience, and the chest at the end isn't always a resplendent.

There is another side dungeon in act 4 that spawns an elite group for an event and they do not give gear or a Nephalem valor stack.

It's a shame because they're good looking zones, just pointless to farm.

Edit: Jar of souls is probably my favourite as well.
    Edited by Fegelein#6385 on 1/18/2013 5:29 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    01/18/2013 02:05 PMPosted by Vaeflare
    We'd love to hear which random events you like and why, and the first post in this thread provides excellent feedback, since it lets us know exactly what a player thinks works well and what didn't jive with them and why. If you have ideas on what you think would have improved certain events and made them more fun and engaging, please let us know. :)

My favorite random event is the single chest spawn guarded by four pillars in Cathedral 3, because it takes up the least amount of map space and seemingly has no bearing on the randomization of the map.

Every other event typically has some huge, enormous real estate attached to it which is a huge part of what destroys the map randomization in D3.

(Also, it kinda reminds me of Arcain's Valor from D1).

Also, random Dungeons that spawn on the world map are great. Because they don't take up so much real estate and, in addition to having a lesser effect on the randomization of the maps, they theyselves are random when you enter. (That said, the standout dungeons that I can recall are spawned positionally in a very non-random manner on set maps.. ie Tower in Northern Highlands, Crumbling Vault / Ruins in Stinging Winds (east/west), the different tombs in Oasis (even though one of these has a huge real estate tile), etc).
    Edited by Mith#1762 on 1/18/2013 5:34 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    My favorite event is actually the Ancient Device in Act 2, even though I got sick to death of it trying to get that annoying achievement. A ton of work obviously went into the concept, and the more complex outcomes are quite creative.

My least favorite event would be the rooms in Act 4, especially the one with the floating panels leading to a chest. The problem is no payoff for a large amount of work, I always complete each new event once when a new patch hits to see if it has changed, and despite how unique the area is the lack of payoff always disappoints.
    Reply Quote
    I like

1) jar of souls like.. i mean I don't really kill them now, because you can only get a massacre bonus about 94 or so. but imagine it was 10000 skel massacrebonus.. with elite skeleton mobs i'll stay all the way

2) forlorn farm, only because the conversation with the farmer was nuts. and its a double roll, killing the best drops yellows, and the chest as well.

3) tomb of khan zakab = more chance at elites

--
    I dislike
    the long winded nature of blaze of glory. there should be either tons more ELITE packs churning out of that event rather than 1 small purple guy..

---

so i think
    a) its got to be spectacular
    b) it increases the number of elite kills that you can have by existing. (ie: increases elite density) (ie: either more yellow drops than simply a single elite pack overall)

so I feel. events should summon packs that give nv, then the event itself gives nv. heck. the best is 1 event = you can get 3-5 stacks out of it.

basically: short quest = kill the purple get 1 stack
    anything that requires you to hang around. (eg: act 3 keep1 blacksmith, blaze of glory, climber, triage etc) should give more stacks, you can make players earn those stacks by having more elite packs out.
    Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 1/18/2013 10:34 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    01/18/2013 02:47 PMPosted by venveng
    My most hated is the Act 4 Spy glass, where you get it from a wounded soldier then bring it up on tower, after giving it to the soldier on top of the tower, he dies. What's up with that?

But ... that's the best part of it!
    Reply Quote
    Least Favorites:

ACT I: Cathedral?
    Mad scientist, standing in front of a book, and he asks you to leave, and gives you a small pile of gold. Clicked the book, and he turns mad, and you fight him.

Zero reward. He's easy to Kill. Wish he dropped the mushroom or some other event item.

ACT II Damp Cellar events

You "save" merchants from a few random enemies in a cellar, then he will sell you "good" items. Except he never has anything decent. Most of the stuff is ilevel 59 or lower.

ACT III: none of the Act 3 event are good because they come at (mostly) inopportune times. Or, I am too busy just trying to survive. For example the Forged in Battle event in the cellars. This area has the suicide enemies, so the quicker I can leave this area, the better. Aaaand, the Ghom fight for a long time was far too difficult on inferno, leading me to avoid the area.

ACT IV: Are there any?

Favorites:

ACT I: Cemetary
    The ghost lady who is worried about grave robbers?
    You kill three ghost enemies, then get rewards from the crypt.
    I've gotten decent stuff there, and the story-arc is just long enough.

ACT II: Lost Treasure of Khan Dakab
    Again, good story arc, and the chest and enemies have a decent enough chance to spawn a worthwhile reward. I look for this event pretty often.
    Oh - the dungeon does look a bit spooky too, the first time you encounter it.
    Reply Quote
    My favorite one is in the Festering Woods. You have to climb a small hill and activate a shrine. Bad guys approach from two sides and the ghosts come up from behind. It's my favorite because initially it was soooo hard. The baddies chased my buddy and me all around the Festering Woods for about 30 minutes before we cooked them down. NV stack and good loot make this event epic, IMO!

My least favorite? It's a toss up, but both are in Dahlgur Oasis. I don't care for the guy tied to a pole yelling "Someone, please help me...!" Way too easy and absolutely no reward. Not even an NV stack. I also don't like the event that spawns the big yellow lacuni next to the unguarded chest. The difficulty is great and so is the loot but no NV stack when you're trying to key farm. Takes up too much time and I invariably have to rescue some noob who fell for the "old unguarded chest trick"...
    Reply Quote
    My favorite would have to the "Mehtan"(sp?) sidequests as I am a "lore" person myself and I loved that link to D2. Those sorts of things help to immerse me. I play these games as RPG's, not just action games. ANd I enjoy immersion in the world.

I would say my least favorite would be the timed vault quest in act 2, just because I never like feeling rushed in an area (I like to explore every nook and cranny casually).
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    My favorite one is in the Festering Woods. You have to climb a small hill and activate a shrine. Bad guys approach from two sides and the ghosts come up from behind. It's my favorite because initially it was soooo hard. The baddies chased my buddy and me all around the Festering Woods for about 30 minutes before we cooked them down. NV stack and good loot make this event epic, IMO!

My least favorite? It's a toss up, but both are in Dahlgur Oasis. I don't care for the guy tied to a pole yelling "Someone, please help me...!" Way too easy and absolutely no reward. Not even an NV stack. I also don't like the event that spawns the big yellow lacuni next to the unguarded chest. The difficulty is great and so is the loot but no NV stack when you're trying to key farm. Takes up too much time and I invariably have to rescue some noob who fell for the "old unguarded chest trick"...

The child of blood comes on top (of the 2 you listed). He drops like nothing... At least, with the lacuni, they drop something ^^
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]