Diablo® III

Why armor/resists/dodge have soft cap and hard cap?

While critical chance, critical damage and increased attack speed do not?

Armor, dodge and resists already have soft cap and hard cap.

If crit chance, crit damage and IAS had soft caps and hard caps it would be much more balanced.

Armor and resists soft cap : 50-69% mitigation
Armor and resists hard cap : >70% mitigation
Dodge soft cap : 33-49% dodge
Dodge hard cap : >50% dodge

Critical chance cap should be : Soft cap at 33-49% range and hard cap from 50% and over.
Critical damage soft cap should be in the 200-299% range with hard cap at 300%.
IAS soft cap should be 50-69% speed of weapon and hard cap >70% speed of weapon.

By soft cap I mean when the diminishing returns begin.
By hard cap I mean when the VERY diminishing returns apply.

OR JUST REMOVE ARMOR/RESISTS/DODGE CAPS AT ALL
if theres no limit to damage, why do you limit our defenses?
Edited by Deadlock#1523 on 1/19/2013 11:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
No to CC/CD/IAS caps. A ton of specs would just stop working if those were implemented.
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 11:20 AMPosted by bigtexasdan
No to CC/CD/IAS caps. A ton of specs would just stop working if those were implemented.

Tanks do not work because defenses are capped while DPS is not

Then REMOVE ARMOR/RESISTS/DODGE CAPS AT ALL
if theres no limit to damage, why do you limit our defenses?
Reply Quote
View profile
Why would you want to have cap on them?

armor, dodge, resistance all have demolishing return. The most you get is about 70% anyways, about that is like impossible to reach. ie Resistance about 700 will give you 70%, but at 1000% it will only return 77% same goes for armor at 7000 you get about 70%. Dodge is bit different that you get 40% at 2000 dex and I think 50% at 3000 dex.

CHC and CHD as cap by gear. The most you can get is 100% CHC and 750% CHD.

Added.
You can't have 100% defense because you won't lose any life anymore. So whats the point of playing. Even at 99% AR/Armor you don't need any life because all the damage to you is like "zero"
Edited by KirusAlufras#1739 on 1/19/2013 11:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
This might actually be the dumbest post I've ever seen. Congratulations.
Reply Quote
There are no real hard or soft caps on the effect of armor and resist.
Effect being 'increase on your survival'. The percentage of dmg reduction is increasing slower and slower sure, but that is because each percent has a greater effect, the closer you get to 100%
Like going from 98%-->99% dmg reduction essentially being a 50% dmg reduction.

There is soft cap on dodge though. The reason being how it is only linked to dex, while not having its own stat I assume.

Hard caps on any stats are a bad idea imo. Soft caps can be justified sometimes.

As for IAS, crit and crit dmg, it would probably be better to just decrease the stats a little bit. Already done with IAS, not sure much more is really needed, but maybe crit and crit dmg on items should reduced with 20% for example?
Edited by Shadout#2849 on 1/19/2013 12:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
The problem is that when you acquire a new piece of armor that has 100 more armor than your old one, you gain 100 armor. The item itself doesn't say it will give you 1.1% reduction (or whatever) while an item giving crit chance does actually give 3% (or whatever) crit chance.
Armor and resistance is converted to a %reduction via a formula while damage is not, only converted to DPS which doesn't have diminishing returns.. because that would make no sense.
Reply Quote
There is no cap in armor or resistance.
The "reduce damage by x%" wording is unlucky. It is better to talk of "effective hit points" (EHP). This is the amount of damage you can take before you die.
100 armor will boost you EHP by the same amount as the next 100 and the next 100. Same with resist. There is no cap, not even a diminishing. It is completely linear.
Reply Quote
This might actually be the dumbest post I've ever seen. Congratulations.

There are worse
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 11:12 AMPosted by Deadlock
hard cap

You keep using those words..

01/19/2013 11:20 AMPosted by bigtexasdan

Not if proc coefficients were altered to reflect changes to CC. I think that having a cap for CHC/CHD would benefit the game greatly. As it is now, there is hardly any choice in gearing for PvM or DPS builds in PvP.

Caps can be good. If you ask me, it makes no sense to have half or more of your attacks being critical hits. Critical hits should happen less than 50% of the time at most and I agree, should cap somewhere around 25-35%. CHC numbers on items should be reduced like they were on IAS items but not as much. This would affect the value of some CHC gear purely based on demand dropping a little bit but it would not be a drastic drop in value if procs scaled with the change, allowing builds that rely on CC procs to still fully function. As it is now, you need to get the highest CHC that you can in every single slot that it is available in. It overshadows all other 'choices' and it's just not good design. Reduce the need to have max CHC in every slot by making it possible to cap out your CC by having it on say, 4-5 out of 7 slots that can roll it and watch diversity in gearing choices soar.
Edited by Iskra#1389 on 1/19/2013 12:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 12:07 PMPosted by Shadout
There are no real hard or soft caps on the effect of armor and resist.

01/19/2013 12:16 PMPosted by StuRedman
There is no cap in armor or resistance.

So are there caps, yes or no?
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 09:00 PMPosted by bsz
So are there caps, yes or no?

nope...but its impossible to reach 100% mitigation =) because you wouldn't have enough all resists...but there are no caps and the effectiveness of AR is Linear
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
There are no hard or soft caps on armor / resistance...

The diminish follows the exact same curve throughout.

In terms of Effective Health, every point of Armor and Resistance is just as effective as the last.

The formulas are as follows.

Armor DR = Armor / [ Armor + ( 50 * Monster Level ) ]
Resistance DR = Resistance / [ Resistance + ( 5 * Monster Level ) ]

The only caps that exist in this game pertain to your Level, your Paragon Level, Runspeed, and Magic Find.
MVP FAQ: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4038704716#2
Reply Quote
Dodge and any damage reduction other than armour/resistance actually has increasing returns. Dex diminishes at certain intervals up till 1000 dex, after that the dodge bonus is linear (the bonus is linear but the effect has increasing returns).

Op you need to pay attention in maths class :/
Reply Quote
@StuRedman Thanks for this, it seems people don't understand that defenses give you effective health.

I did thought there was a 75% hard cap on block chance. Does anyone know of the status on that?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]