Diablo® III

WTF is the point of elemental damage?

Posting before this post get deleted or locked like so many other.

They are an eye candy so we all can boast about how great the cluster effects are in this game.
This is one of the most irritating mechanic in diablo3, elementals that do nothing has got to be the first in gaming history.
Reply Quote
They serve the purpose of adding fake variety into the game... that and making black weapons more expensive for no other reason than an interaction caused by +% element damage.

Truth be told this should be fixed...

Cold already does something but should be more noticesable
Lightning should have more Crit chance
Poison should always deal more damage over time
Fire should have a small AoE splash
Arcane should have extra Crit damage
Holy should deal bonus damage on Undead/Demons

Simply make the choice matter.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 01:18 AMPosted by Palach
This is a glaring problem with the game but sadly wouldn't even make a top ten of necessary fixes.

Bingo.
Reply Quote
Diablo, the game where dungeons are small, casters require big hammers, elemental damage means nothing, quests don't give any reward and the evils talk your head off.

Who would have thought...
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
During beta, but it's gone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2-yLW_dfU8

It'll be back. It was just stripped to later be added in the expansion.
Reply Quote
This is not the first topic regarding elemental damage. A CM also responded and as much as I can remember, he/she said that it was actually implemented in beta but the players chose one type of damage much more likely than the other. Blizzard wants to have as much diversity as possible and because of this they think the player is beeing forced to use one of type. (I think it was cold damage because of the strong defensive bonus). So they removed it.

(Don't want to look for blue post...too much work - is a old post...belief me or not)
Edited by Siggi#2209 on 1/21/2013 4:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
Easy.

- Some equipment works with elemental damage (+8% poison, frostburn gauntlets).
- Some passives focus on elemental damage (see Wizard and WD in particular)
- Aesthetics: People like to customize their gear colour they can customize their weapon damage graphic.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 12:02 AMPosted by puggleman
WTF is the point of lightning, cold, fire, poison, and arcane damage when they don't have any special effects!?

It gives the illusion (if you don't look too hard) of a more complex damage system than that which we actually have.
Reply Quote
Puggleman made a very good point. I've played many ARPG games from young till now. Certain monsters should be weak against certain element. I'm surprised that nobody mentioned it at all till now. .

been mentioned many, many times... just dont try doing a search... most of the time sane, objective queries /concerns / suggestions such as this tend to disappear.

Elemental damage was in alpha video ( which is still titled gameplay in the media/videos section ) but for some unknown reason was scrapped with no word of why... it was one of the core aspects of d2 ( and why having more than 1 set of weapons was required as some mobs would resist cold while others resist lightning, etc )
Edited by MGH#1860 on 1/21/2013 5:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
I actually made a similar post about this. It more or less has to do with Wizard signature spells but I also talk about the fact that damage all seems the same and elemental damage makes no real difference in this game.
Having skills that are "Cold Damage" skills or "Fire Damage" or any of the other elemental damages really only changes the appearance of the casting animations but there is no real benefit to stacking +X% to whatever elemental damage as monsters don't actually have resistances to specific types of elemental damage.

You can check out my original post here, comment on it if you would, trying to draw some attention to it
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7708411185?page=1
Reply Quote
This is what everyone anticipated before released but sadly it didn't make it , all thanks to someone that tries to be creative and special but ends up screwing the game.

I would pay double the price of actual D3 for this real version of Diablo 3.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 05:27 AMPosted by MGH
Elemental damage was in alpha video ( which is still titled gameplay in the media/videos section ) but for some unknown reason was scrapped with no word of why... it was one of the core aspects of d2 ( and why having more than 1 set of weapons was required as some mobs would resist cold while others resist lightning, etc )
The reason was given somewhere (not sure if in an interview or a post from beta). They removed it because it turned out to be a binary choice during their testing. With little differences in damage testers only used weapons with the best CC effect and with more significant differences in damage they used weapons with the highest overall dps output.

To be quite honest I can't think of a good way to incorporate elemental weapons into the current skill system considering that a large part of skills convert weapon damage type into a predetermined type negating any possible benefits these elemental weapon might do.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Back in Beta, this was talked about a bit. The Devs response was that in their Internal Betas, everyone just gravitated towards the damage type that was most effective. As they altered what each damage type, people just swapped to the new cool one.

Personally, it sounded like a cop out then and it still sounds like one now. However, I've gotta say that I don't miss D2's quadruple immune elites in Act 4 and 5 on Hell. Even double immune elites and champs could be a real pain for a lot of classes, and you were really shafted if you were a class that relied on life and mana steal and ran into a mob that was Physical immune. Pretty much all you could do was run away.

So, I vote yes for different elemental damage types having cool added effects and a resounding 'NO!!!!!!' to elemental resistances.
Reply Quote
I actually made a similar post about this. It more or less has to do with Wizard signature spells but I also talk about the fact that damage all seems the same and elemental damage makes no real difference in this game.
Having skills that are "Cold Damage" skills or "Fire Damage" or any of the other elemental damages really only changes the appearance of the casting animations but there is no real benefit to stacking +X% to whatever elemental damage as monsters don't actually have resistances to specific types of elemental damage.
The funny thing is that some monsters are actually resistant to elemental damage most notably the various constructs and elemental spiders in Act2 (VoA and ZK's dungeons). Originally, elite packs with frozen affix were resistant to cold damage for example (I never tested it specifically but it felt like 50-66% damage reduction); later, they removed these resistances.
Reply Quote
Honestly, if they were able to change the following in a patch, I would start playing regularly again:
1. specific/unique elemental damage and resistance
2. skill damage (magic/elemental/non melee) detached from weapon dps (determined by level scaling/added Int bonus/etc). As a barb, it would be cool to be able to use a good weapon/armor that has high Int to add elemental damage to earthquake or any of the other skills/runes that have elemental effects.
3. itemization to some extent...basically an overhaul of the RNG system to incorporate the above points and to reduce the large majority of worthless drops.

The first two points, which are directly tied to this thread, would do much to direct this title back to it's ARPG roots.
Reply Quote
View profile
When I first started my wiz, I saw items that were + 4% fire damage. I thought it was junk, because I wasn't using a fire skill. I guess this game is so simple, that I can't understand it. I remember using specific types of damage in D2 and monster being immune to certain types. I liked it that way!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]