Diablo® III

Infinite Dungeon will fixed MOST of whats wrong

I truly believe an Infinite Dungeon system will fix most of whats wrong with this game. Here is how the dungeon should work.

1. Its truly random - at any floor you can randomly encounter treasure goblin, uber bosses, elites, chest, and etc.
2. You can only go up in floors, but not back down to the previous floor
3. Dungeon will act as an end game ladder, so every season, people will compete on how high they have gotten into the dungeon
4. Every time you die in the dungeon, you drop 10 floors
5. The Dungeon should be a separate act 5, no MP, and no TP to town
6. There will be various end of the floor hubs for repairs, shops, and sending items you found in the dungeon to your regular stash
7. The higher you go in the dungeon, the better the MF, so people who is not interested in competing in the ladder are still rewarded to venturing into the dungeon
8. The skill build you pick to enter the dungeon is what you stick with. You can only change the skills at certain rare shrine spawn or at a cost of 5 floors
9. Friends that attained higher floors in the season can freely join friends that is currently at a lower floor. IE. I have gotten to floor 100 and my friend is in floor 60, I can drop in and play with him at floor 60.
10. When I log off, it will save whatever floor I got to, and allow me to resume at that floor on my next session.

TL:DR
This will add a true end game, a ladder system, replayability, sense of ownership in build(cause thats what you are stuck with for the whole season), and build diversity (because the emphasis will be as much on survival as it is on damage out put)
Edited by SkyRage#1622 on 1/21/2013 8:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
This reminds me of the Labyrinth from Vindictus and how nobody did it.
Reply Quote
Well, this is a way better alternative than running act 3 endlessly. And the higher you go, the better the MF, so there will incentive to play this.
Reply Quote
How? Main problem is the loot. EXTREMELY BORING ITEMS.
Reply Quote
Loot is a totally different discussion, and yes it suck tremendously. But this is intended to fix the lack of end game, replay-ability, and sense of achievement via ladder.
Reply Quote
Agreed.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6037123847
Haven't bumped this in a while.

Critique a few points:

01/21/2013 08:35 PMPosted by Skyline
1. Its truly random - at any floor you can randomly encounter treasure goblin, uber bosses, elites, chest, and etc.

I wouldn't be too interested in bosses, as it would potentially drag momentum to a halt.

Nah. Standard would be, every time you TP or die, you start at Level 1 and everything resets.
A possible alternative would be to allow a Re-entry Fee to port back down to the lowest level cleared.

Not necessarily. If anything, the dungeon should increase MP each level you progress.
7. The higher you go in the dungeon, the better the MF, so people who is not interested in competing in the ladder are still rewarded to venture into the dungeon

No.

If you do this, you will hear endless complaints about how you are "forced" to play in this mode to find the best gear.

It would also potentially trivialize normal Act farming.

Have MP increase so that everything is amplified, not just MF.

Otherwise you have the right general idea, and I agree that this is what I personally want most to see in Diablo 3.
Reply Quote
True
Reply Quote
I'd love an infinite dungeon of some kind, with a good amount of varied small events scattered around the levels.
Reply Quote
it took them months to implement a fix to one affix called RD, i can't imagine how long this dungeon would take to make it to PTR phase... (the word infinite comes to mind)
Edited by Hak#1935 on 1/21/2013 11:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
I do agree that a well thought out Random endless dungeon would do a lot to give this game the replayability that everyone wants.

The MAIN thing it would have to have is Randomness... Every floor should be completely random: Random layout (we don't want to run the same things over and over, we can do that now), Random environments (and plenty of them), Any monsters from any act can spawn on any floor, ect.

The best way to do it would be to have a Free Roaming mode open up after you defeat Inferno Diablo (come on, its really not that hard). Add a quest into the free play mode that makes you go all over all 4 acts looking for stuff to open the dungeon, once you open it, it stays open and you can go back into it whenever you want but it starts over at floor 1 every time you start a new game.

At MP 0, Floor one would start with level 61 monsters and the level would go up every few levels with random Bosses thrown in. The key would be very high monster density with Lots of elite packs.

Adding the ladder for people to compete with how deep they can get would definitely suck in the competitive players. :)

As for your points:

This would be good, but I would keep the bosses on specific boss floors, but those floors can be randomly placed so they don't fall in the same order or places each time.

I don't see the point in this, who cares if someone wants to go back to a floor they were already on? Its ether empty or mostly clear anyway.

3. Dungeon will act as an end game ladder, so every season, people will compete on how high they have gotten into the dungeon

Exactly, lots of people like trying to prove they are the best :)

No. This would just frustrate people, everyone wants to Progress, kicking them back would get as annoying as the rez timer is now... and we already know everyone's opinion of that.

No, Separate yes. But MP should apply if you want it to be harder and there is NO reason to deny access to town. I like going back to town to sell stuff, if that got taken out it would annoy me to the point I wouldn't want to play and the point of this is to give people something fun to do in game after they beat it.

6. There will be various end of the floor hubs for repairs, shops, and sending items you found in the dungeon to your regular stash

You could do this but just leave access to town open, simpler and better... but it would be cool to see special merchants that can only spawn deep in the dungeon that sell GOOD items that people would actually want to buy. 50k pots, random Rares and very rarely Legendary items maybe.

7. The higher you go in the dungeon, the better the MF, so people who is not interested in competing in the ladder are still rewarded to venturing into the dungeon

Very big Yes to this. Maybe just allow NV to stack 5 higher every 20 levels or so.

8. The skill build you pick to enter the dungeon is what you stick with. You can only change the skills at certain rare shrine spawn or at a cost of 5 floors

Again no point and would just frustrate people. If you want to give up your NV stack then you should be able to change skills. People like experimenting, let them.

9. Friends that attained higher floors in the season can freely join friends that is currently at a lower floor. IE. I have gotten to floor 100 and my friend is in floor 60, I can drop in and play with him at floor 60.

Sure, I can see this. I would just make it highest floor you have ever personally gotten to is the highest you can "drop" into but I can also see this as being hard to program in...

10. When I log off, it will save whatever floor I got to, and allow me to resume at that floor on my next session.

Every game should respawn the entire dungeon, but I would add portals into the dungeon every 10 to 25 levels that would allow you to skip ahead once you unlock them. The portals would reset with each season.
Reply Quote
I'd love them to do this, but it doesn't fix loot drops being so bad. A no AH better drops idea or all drops are BOA, better drops could maybe solve that problem. (as an option to choose, not by default).

Do both, I think I'm happy for a long time. I wouldn't hate them if they made itemization a little more interesting too.
Reply Quote

you're contradicting yoursef on those 2. But let's not get technical; I love the idea, bump and sticky.

and ya, the floors punishment not that clever, other than that, very good idea (one that's been floating around for months)
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 11:03 AMPosted by Garthandal
This is a neat idea but it does not fix anything, it just gives you something else to do like ubers did. Items are what needs fixing, not the drops either. Social ingame aspects are what needs fixing.

It would go along ways to fixing one of the biggest problems with the game. The lack of Variety.

Right now you have to run the same areas over and over and they are not even random layouts. This game needs an endgame that has ALOT of randomized areas to run through with high monster density, without it people get bored.
Reply Quote
View profile
If you clear an area and you exit out, then reenter the whole level except the elite should be gone.
Reply Quote
i like the idea to have mobs from different acts in there like a blood clan shaman champ pack with a mallet lord elite pack at some floor, maybe ubber belial, azmo as floor checkpoints (where u go back when you die at an upper floor), it would be a nice "end of the month" event where the winner (beat ubber diablo) close the event and the higher u went into the dungeons the better is the reward (from gold, gems, legendaries, ... to set pieces, mf/gf/xp bonus for 1 week, legendary blueprints, add socket or stuff like that for the ones in the higher floors).
Reply Quote
Random infinite dungeon would certainly work. I love doing it in Torchlight 2 but supposedly an endless dungeon was difficult to program for in TL1, so in TL2 they moved it to endless random maps that are generated and stored into an item you purchase to access a TP to that dungeon. Each dungeon had a big boss at the end you could fight to get a unique and a treasure chest.
Edited by speedforce#1637 on 1/22/2013 12:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
How? Main problem is the games CORE MECHANICS.

Fixed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]