Diablo® III

The state of Blizzard Entertainment, honest opinions

starcraft 2 is kind of eh. takes them too long to come up with more content (story wise/maps/missions). its currently catered too much to the esports crowd.

Uh, because that's who wants to play it the most. It is an rts that focuses heavily on balance. Do you seriously think that people mostly play Starcraft for the story? Starcraft as a franchise is as popular as it is because of the esports and custom map-making communities. Period.

Now- would be interesting if WoW focused more on that battle pets. maybe turn it into skylanders. or have ways for us to play it on mobile apps (phone or tablet or something).

Seriously? Your name is very appropriate. Yeah, that's a good idea, dumb down WoW into another of Activision's cash cow brainless pandering to children games... What are you... ten years old?
Reply Quote
Blizzard has been Kotick'd, no longer can you trust their products on the merits they earned in the past.
Reply Quote
Kudos to you Technoviking for stating these things as opinions.

My opinion though is that while, yes Activision has certainly commercialized Blizzard and its products that doesn't mean necessarily that they "sold out." Take the RMAH for example. I don't personally purchase items from it (although I have sold a few items on it) but I understand that even before Blizzard put this into the public eye these transactions already existed. Yes perhaps the evolution of the RMAH had some monitary incentives fueling its design. However, I really don't think that Blizzard has let it take away from the core enjoyment of the game (except for those who suddenly see that this is happening and feel the need to cry foul). Just like WoW Pokemon battles may definitely appeal to a younger audience but they don't take anything away from WoW aside from maybe development resources that could be focused elsewhere.

Look at what 1.0.7 is introducing with more bind on account recipes. Some may say that these items are still 99% of the time garbage but can you really argue that adding this to the game will somehow improve their RMAH profits? (I'm sure someone will find a way...)

Bottom line is that my opinion is that while Blizzard is more obviously a business these days, they still haven't sacrificed any integrity when it comes to making a fun, engaging, original, and lasting gameplay experience.
Edited by TheM0L3#1696 on 1/23/2013 11:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
For me Blizzard is dead since Wotlk : cataclysm.

They now clearly aim at the wider possible audience : from 6 years old kids to console gamers. To do this they needed to streamline all their products, giving them no flavor no depth, easy to dive in.

That is why their games are now boring and most gamers hate them now. But this company will still make money as long as there are people who like these kind of facebook games where you log in, do 5-6 repetitive daily quests and stop. You cannot even make wrong choices as everything is dumbed down.

Time has come to move to emerging company where developers still care about their game and talk to the players.
Edited by Kwyjibo#2528 on 1/23/2013 11:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
Cataclysm really was just awful.
They now clearly aim at the wider possible audience : from 6 years old kids to console gamers. To do this they needed to streamline all their products, giving them no flavor no depth, easy to dive in.

Blizzard has ALWAYS done exactly this. They take a popular game, polish it up, suck out all the strategic depth and make it more tactical. They always released with low PC requirements to get the most people to play possible. Every single game they've ever made fits this mold.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 11:14 AMPosted by Ender
Cataclysm really was just awful.

Blizzard has ALWAYS done exactly this. They take a popular game, polish it up, suck out all the strategic depth and make it more tactical. They always released with low PC requirements to get the most people to play possible. Every single game they've ever made fits this mold.

You're misunderstanding the argument.

I've bought every title they've ever published on release day, so it was no surprise that it was pretty rough. What did surprise me is that they made it harder and harder to get anywhere by any means other than getting better eClothes for my eDoll. They've often made it TOUGH to win by playing well, but they crossed the line here by making it IMPOSSIBLE to win by playing well. Furthermore, they have made it HIDEOUSLY UNPLEASANT to try to win by playing well.

Hard to say why they did that, but they have. Not interested in dressing dolls, no longer interested in playing the game, customer lost.
Edited by TaiKung#1986 on 1/23/2013 11:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
i used to love blizzard and have been a long term supporter. yes, i even pre-ordered sc2:hots, because sc2 is one of very few games out there that one can still call "competitive" - FPS are dead and the only alternatives are hon/lol or other dota clones that are simply bad.

what leaves a REALLY foul taste regarding diablo 3 is the following: i remember an interview with some guy from blizzard talking about how they don't actually want to drive people away from wow by releasing diablo 3. if you want customers to stick to one of your products they are paying a monthly subscription for, just release a game that last for a little while, but has no real end-game content.
at the same time, allow botters, allow dupes, allow every farming strategy possible - there are interviews with farmers around saying that they run 1000 accounts in parallel. conspiracy theory anyone? if accounts get banned, they need to "rebuy" their entry to diablo 3. at the same time, blizzard gets its fair share from any item sold by a bot-farmer.

that's a pretty smart business model, isn't it?

Agreed and I bet the next phase is for them to promise all these improvements and neat features in their expansion. But here's the problem, and what you didn't factor in, the PC gaming has lost faith in you.

There is no way you can debate this. From high profile gamers who have their own popular YouTube channels to just the average PC gamer, everyone's reactions to Blizzard is the same thanks to D3. You are not that company that makes amazing, flawless and key word here "TIMELESS" games. Bad design decision after bad design decision.

How many people asked for an offline mode that had ZERO interaction with an online mode, and what did you reply with? "Oh we don't want to confuse newer player who can't read and understand plain English." When we had concerns about the RMAH what did you do? Let it completely EFF up the economy for months after release.

To me it's not even about the lack of a dark atmosphere, or the lack of skill points and talent trees, I just see your greed. A desire to make more money off the game instead of giving a game that would be so amazingly badass that EVERYONE would want to quit WoW b/c they were obsessed with it. This is the goal and the bar you should have set for yourselves. Instead the bar was set to make a great summer blockbuster game and you achieved it. Congratulations.
Edited by Forge#1772 on 1/23/2013 12:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 11:14 AMPosted by Ender
Blizzard has ALWAYS done exactly this. They take a popular game, polish it up, suck out all the strategic depth and make it more tactical.

More tactical?
Reply Quote
View profile
I say that they do think about both, they have to. If they truly abandon making a truly fun game, fun btw is defined differently for different players. They run the risk of having a game suck so bad that no one wants it at all. Where no reputation or legacy of an existing franchise would influence a single buyer.

This game is getting one year old and they are working on fixing and improving the game. This current patch along with the previous ones are proof of that. I would wait for the first expansion. Because I believe it will be the equivalent of having Babe Ruth hit the game winning home run.
Reply Quote
Blizzard has ALWAYS done exactly this. They take a popular game, polish it up, suck out all the strategic depth and make it more tactical.

More tactical?

They take good games, add an easy mode for the casuals, sell it on. Nothing wrong with that.

What's new in D3 is that they have shut down all paths to victory other than easy mode. I think it's an unintended consequence of the RMAH, but they've shown no sign at all of understanding that it's THE problem, much less of fixing it.

28 mins to POE open beta. http://www.pathofexile.com/
Edited by TaiKung#1986 on 1/23/2013 12:33 PM PST
Reply Quote

28 mins to POE open beta. http://www.pathofexile.com/

Gah! I only have half the patch downloaded so far, and its now 10minutes to PoE Open Beta!!!
Reply Quote
This thread over on TeamLiquid (popular starcraft community site) says everything you need to know about the death of Blizzard as we once knew it. And it isn't just idle speculation; it has quotes, references, etc. to back it up.

"A short history of Activision-Blizzard"
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=128252
Reply Quote
Blizzard is nothing more than a participant, and via rule of karma, a victem of the SYSTEM that is in place on this particular planet we call Earth. They became king - and as all long reigning rulers, little by little, the public wants it all back - the money spent, the time spent, the energy spent - all of it. Just like the peasants of old that break their backs for their rulers and, maybe on their death bed, realize the waste. Nothing has changed except words, however.

So it became a "meme" to want them to fail after ruling for so long.

This is what you are speaking of.

We are all participants in this system to varying degrees - and all victems - it's interchangeable really and many of us operate in both modes ocilating back and forth between participant and victem depending on how much we are asleep until the inevitable awakening process - either by force or by choice.
Edited by FloydGA#1282 on 1/23/2013 2:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
This thread over on TeamLiquid (popular starcraft community site) says everything you need to know about the death of Blizzard as we once knew it. And it isn't just idle speculation; it has quotes, references, etc. to back it up.

"A short history of Activision-Blizzard"
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=128252

yes I saw this a while back. A great read! Everyone should read this imo
Reply Quote

And what left behind is an old shell with something that doesn't belong to it.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 05:54 PMPosted by CylentPsycho
Bethesda>Blizzard...as far as adding dynamic play ability. This. Game. Is. Too. Static.

DOWN WITH COOKIE CUTTER BUILDS!
Reply Quote
once apon a time I wuld of cut off one of my feet to see 10 million people playing the same game.

but that was wen the turbo button existed
Reply Quote
I don't mind them maximizing profits as long as gameplay quality isn't sacrificed. It really sucks how evident this has become with the loot system in D3. It's sad because the game could be way more entertaining if they had designed a loot system to make the game exciting and entertaining instead of just preying on people's frustration over not finding anything. They've walked into ethical bankrupcy land now, by far.
Reply Quote
01/20/2013 11:03 AMPosted by Technoviking
the day they decided to focus attention on cornering the market and mass profit mechanisms is when the decline commenced.

So since Warcraft 2 got an expansion pack that required the original game to play.....gotcha.

Blizzard is doing amazingly well for being in decline for decades.
Edited by babinro#1836 on 1/23/2013 6:32 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]