Diablo® III

The state of Blizzard Entertainment, honest opinions

View profile
So then you really believe that Activision told Blizz to make sure that this game sucks lemons. So a game that sucks lemons would sell millions. I mean one that was designed to suck lemons. Also why did Blizz bother to fix this game?

That is because unlike most companies that would cut and run after they got a huge profits. Blizz is continually fixing and improving their games. That is their hallmark, because as Mike has said Blizz has never released a perfect game. Jay and IIRC even his crew agreed that Blizz is in it for the long haul.
Reply Quote
So then you really believe that Activision told Blizz to make sure that this game sucks lemons. So a game that sucks lemons would sell millions. I mean one that was designed to suck lemons. Also why did Blizz bother to fix this game?

That is because unlike most companies that would cut and run after they got a huge profits. Blizz is continually fixing and improving their games. That is their hallmark, because as Mike has said Blizz has never released a perfect game. Jay and IIRC even his crew agreed that Blizz is in it for the long haul.

you missed my points. I was referring to blizz as a whole entity--not d3 specific only. I am concerned with the direction they are heading as a company.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
01/20/2013 11:03 AMPosted by Technoviking
Blizzard has sunken into the realm of corporate mentality profit driven

Last I heard Activision/Blizzard was a business that intends to make a profit. They are not a charity! I had some ATVI stock and it did very well.

Hoperfully they will still make profit.

PS If people didnt like the game they would not of bought it...and others continue to buy it!!
Reply Quote
Blizzard has sunken into the realm of corporate mentality profit driven

Last I heard Activision/Blizzard was a business that intends to make a profit. They are not a charity! I had some ATVI stock and it did very well.

PS If people didnt like the game they would not of bought it...and others continue to buy it!!

All major companies are getting into this trend. Capcom released a crap Mega Man ios game this year for a huge anniversary mark. Resident Evil has been sucking pretty hard and its lost its element completely. Konami has decided in the past its a great bad idea to release a Castlevania fighter than nobody cares about to try and cash grab along with the rest of the newer castlevanias.

Sales do not equal quality either; that's like saying Ray William Johnson makes quality youtube videos because he gets millions of views. I bet you like Ray William Johnson.
Edited by Valius#1710 on 1/21/2013 7:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 07:48 AMPosted by Valius

All major companies are getting into this trend. Capcom released a crap Mega Man ios game this year for a huge anniversary mark. Resident Evil has been sucking pretty hard and its lost its element completely. Konami has decided in the past its a great bad idea to release a Castlevania fighter than nobody cares about to try and cash grab along with the rest of the newer castlevanias.

Sales do not equal quality either; that's like saying Ray William Johnson makes quality youtube videos because he gets millions of views. I bet you like Ray William Johnson.

wholeheartedly agree. LOL at your RWJ analogy. I cringe when I see trendy youtube thumbnails with colorful text and some overexagerrated facial expression chump pointing to the text. Leeching views of kiddies and curious folk for ad revenue/likes/sucsriptions is a phenomenon I'd like to see OBLITERATED
Reply Quote
as a long time blizzard fan and bioware fan I can tell you it could be worse.
yes blizzard decided to acquire new customers and even risked losing a lot of existing ones with wow (instead of growing up with the customers it had it deciced to stay the same year range, thus teddy bears farmville and pokemon made it into wow, replacing big bad dragons and gods)
yes blizzard failed to deliver a true diablo successor, the mistake was actually made when they parted with the original creators, even they would have a hard time to make that kind of hit a 3rd time, let alone some bunch of random newbies who were allowed to put diablo and blizzard on the box.
but it could be worse. at least they are not with ea, who is forcing their customers to use origin for future games.
I might buy another blizzard game, I won't buy it blindly as I did with diablo, but I will certainly not buy any other bioware game because my pc is origin free and will stay that way.
also the doctors are gone, so I think bioware will seize to exist as whole very soon (same as mythic, bullfrog, origin etc etc.)

so yes, while blizzard has taken a turn to the bad, they still might recover. for bioware fans however there is no hope.
Reply Quote
i used to love blizzard and have been a long term supporter. yes, i even pre-ordered sc2:hots, because sc2 is one of very few games out there that one can still call "competitive" - FPS are dead and the only alternatives are hon/lol or other dota clones that are simply bad.

what leaves a REALLY foul taste regarding diablo 3 is the following: i remember an interview with some guy from blizzard talking about how they don't actually want to drive people away from wow by releasing diablo 3. if you want customers to stick to one of your products they are paying a monthly subscription for, just release a game that last for a little while, but has no real end-game content.
at the same time, allow botters, allow dupes, allow every farming strategy possible - there are interviews with farmers around saying that they run 1000 accounts in parallel. conspiracy theory anyone? if accounts get banned, they need to "rebuy" their entry to diablo 3. at the same time, blizzard gets its fair share from any item sold by a bot-farmer.

that's a pretty smart business model, isn't it?
Reply Quote
Actually I think Blizzard change after WOW. They put too much resources on WOW.

10mil? active subscribers. I hope they get back releasing another Warcraft RTS.

All titles after WOW seems... hmmm watered-down?
Edited by Fireblade#1295 on 1/21/2013 8:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
Blizzard has sunken into the realm of corporate mentality profit driven ego centric elitists.

From your awful WoW built in customer support system prerendering generic ticket responses, to your D3 CMs with their "damage control PR mode vanilla non fact revealing" responses on these forums--the lack of transparency is crippling.

Less worry about shareholder quarterly statements and more on QUALITY game /franchise improvements would go a long way.

Dude, you seem to know the truth but are in denial. Are you employed in a salary position at any job in a first world country? If so, you have to at least have a concept of Lean business practices and the near-impossible balance of deadlines, corporate mechanisms, and user experience. I don't advocate golden parachutes or nine digit CEO salaries, but you have to make difficult decisions to compete, and you don't have to tell the public a damned thing about your internal functions.

Give the name of a company still in existence that serves a million plus people on a daily basis that hasn't automated a huge portion of their workflow in order to reduce cost and lead time. A person is not stuffing each Hot Pocket individually by hand. Hell, even regional public utilities have automated systems for billing and customer service. Sorry man, but you are not special. You gotta wait in line like me.

If you want handcrafted, customer-driven experiences, you are simply looking in the wrong place. I don't mean to be rude, but this is capitalism.
Reply Quote
Blizzard started to decline when they turned Warcraft into an MMORPG. Huge mistake made there, the expansions were mistakes, and they kept on that same track when they made SC2 and D3. The release of World of Warcraft marked the time when Blizzard decided they didn't care about what the customer wanted any more and only cared about their wallets. I will never play WoW because it's not Blizzard, that's not the kind of game Blizzard is known for, and honestly neither are SC2 or D3. D3 has potential, but they're going to have to work themselves to the bone to REALLY fix it. SC2 is a lost cause, as is WoW. I'd like to see Blizzard return to their former glory, when they were a GOOD company that cared about their customers and made good games.
Reply Quote
as a long time blizzard fan and bioware fan I can tell you it could be worse.
yes blizzard decided to acquire new customers and even risked losing a lot of existing ones with wow (instead of growing up with the customers it had it deciced to stay the same year range, thus teddy bears farmville and pokemon made it into wow, replacing big bad dragons and gods)
yes blizzard failed to deliver a true diablo successor, the mistake was actually made when they parted with the original creators, even they would have a hard time to make that kind of hit a 3rd time, let alone some bunch of random newbies who were allowed to put diablo and blizzard on the box.
but it could be worse. at least they are not with ea, who is forcing their customers to use origin for future games.
I might buy another blizzard game, I won't buy it blindly as I did with diablo, but I will certainly not buy any other bioware game because my pc is origin free and will stay that way.
also the doctors are gone, so I think bioware will seize to exist as whole very soon (same as mythic, bullfrog, origin etc etc.)

so yes, while blizzard has taken a turn to the bad, they still might recover. for bioware fans however there is no hope.

All the blizz info you mentioned is spot on--well said. I don't play bioware games so I cant relate to that.
Reply Quote
View profile
I mean no offense, but plenty of good companies have disappeared over time. They made good games and cared about their consumers. However, this is not enough to survive. You need to have income to not go bankrupt.

I have not played WoW, so I can't really know what people mean by WoW - The Burning Crusade - being the start of Blizzard's downfall. Starcraft 2 was good enough for me. I stopped playing it because team games were awful. It was rush or be rushed. Reaper Slings or Hellion Slings...

I'll concede that their new Battle net is horrendous. It took them nearly a year to implement chat channel.
Reply Quote
I think I should post my favorite link. it's so appropriate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMocv48aZfM

great find!! Rob Pardo should watch this
Reply Quote
Minus D3, Blizzard is still making incredible games with huge market share. Personally I can't wait to see what they have in store for us in Titan. Hopefully since wow is all about the raiding, Titan can focus on something else; which imo would make it a far superior game with a much broader userbase.

All I really want to see is a mmo that ties together the three pillars of mmos successfully. PVE, PVP and economy/crafting. No one has been able to succesfully tie all three together yet (although EVE may be an exception to an extent). One pillar always seems to be the focus while the other two are afterthoughts.

economy/crafting isnt an MMO pillar. it is a byproduct of a well-designed MMO. The 3rd pillar is clearly story driven lore.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]