Diablo® III

Update on Upcoming Changes to Rubies

Go buy a ring with +10 max damage and a ring with +10 min damage. They both give the exact same dps. They aren't backtracking on anything.

They are both "5 average damage". I wish every item would just have one line that says "+# average damage". Add up all the min damage, add up all the max damage, divide by two and list as "average damage". Source, weapon, amulet, don't care. List them all the same and make them behave the same. Simple, elegant, no confusion.

[10+0]/2 = 5 = [0+10]/2

They can't do that. The reason a minimum and maximum damage exist, is because every attack you swing doesn't hit for the same amount. It AVERAGES out to the damage you see on your stat sheet, or the dps on your weapon. If you just put average damage on everything, that discrepancy won't exist.
Reply Quote
does ed% impact the dmg that is brought by ruby?
Reply Quote
View profile
Hi. I don't have Marquise Ruby, unless someone can upload new screenshot and I can do the calculation again. I did the calculation with Radiant Star Ruby and have the following results

black weapon
Calamity +120min/+240max
enchanted weapon
Natalya's Slayer +120min/+120max

now if I dual-wield with these two weapon have
2 Radiant Star "Emerald" 182710.22 dps and +439% critical hit damage
2 Radiant Star "Ruby" 161753.97 dps and +239% critical hit damage
Ruby Calamity (1586.3 dps) + DML
194335.67 dps and +239% critical hit damage
Ruby Natalya's (1144.2 dps) + DML
105452.50 dps and +139% critical hit damage
Ruby Natalya's (1144.2 dps) + DML
149588.51 dps and +239% critical hit damage

As anyone can see from the dps, we don't benefit from dual-wield as the dps we see is the average of the two weapon in hand. The dps will be lower as I think Vaeflare said "black" weapon should not get more advantage over a enchanted weapon. So with Radiant Star Ruby we should only have +120/120 on black weapon.

But I think we need a damage boost on the Ruby to compete with the Emerald. Scale the damage bonus on Ruby to something like this

R.Square, Star, Fl.Star, P.Star, R.Star, Marquise
40,60,80,100,120,150 to 40,60,90,120,150,180
Edited by KirusAlufras#1739 on 1/30/2013 10:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
Sorry, but this just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. +80 min and +80 max should be the same as +80-160, not +80-80. I don't think this is a bug, I just think the blizzard devs have no clue what they're doing at this point.

Minimum damage should always increase maximum damage as well. The elemental damage ranges are all expressed this way, the reason they don't turn out as well as "black" damage is because +% damage doesn't buff elemental damage.

Seriously, I'm losing all faith in blizzard if they think something working properly, the way it's always worked, is a "bug". When the game first came out rubies were expressed as a range, then they were changed to the way they currently are. 12-24 became +12 min and +12 max. Now they're saying it's supposed to be 12-12?

Seriously, Picard is face palming a lot right now.
Reply Quote
Sorry, but this just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. +80 min and +80 max should be the same as +80-160, not +80-80. I don't think this is a bug, I just think the blizzard devs have no clue what they're doing at this point.

Minimum damage should always increase maximum damage as well. The elemental damage ranges are all expressed this way, the reason they don't turn out as well as "black" damage is because +% damage doesn't buff elemental damage.

Seriously, I'm losing all faith in blizzard if they think something working properly, the way it's always worked, is a "bug". When the game first came out rubies were expressed as a range, then they were changed to the way they currently are. 12-24 became +12 min and +12 max. Now they're saying it's supposed to be 12-12?

Seriously, Picard is face palming a lot right now.

i used to think the same way yo do till i test on two rings.
+30 minimum&+30maximun ring shows less dps then 30-60 ring....i still don`t understand how this works...
Reply Quote
When you DO fix the bug, PLEASE apply the fix retroactively, else you will end up with another situation like the Natalya's Wrath [Legacy] set.

If you don't fix the bug retroactively, all future black weapons will roll inferior dps compared to their pre-fix versions, making the pre-fix black weapons MUCH more valuable/desirable, and further widening the gap between those who currently have top tier weapons (which are all black weapons, naturally) and those who don't.

You need to think about the longevity of the game and its economy, and sometimes that means making unpopular decisions, and nerfing things retroactively, as hard as that may be for some players to swallow.

This. Also, it would be great if they actually made elemental damage meaningful. This is ridiculous
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 09:28 PMPosted by Leaves

I'd like to know this too but I think the answer is no.

The new buffed Rubies will do exactly what the tooltip claims. If a tooltip says +80 to Minimum Damage and +80 to Maximum Damage, then the damage on the weapon will go up by those amounts when the Ruby is socketed.
Reply Quote

Go buy a ring with +10 max damage and a ring with +10 min damage. They both give the exact same dps. They aren't backtracking on anything.

I suggest you actually do it.

edit: an easier exercise, search on the AH with the filter average damage. and just look at those with just the +min affix and those with just the +max affix.

The AH filter is misleading. The +min affix can increase your max damage but only if you have a very small damage range.

The only way this would ever happen is if you are using very low level weapons with small damage ranges.

For example if your weapon has a damage range of 5-10 and you equip a +10 min damage ring, you will end up with a damage range of 15-15. This only happens because your maximum damage cannot be lower than your minimum damage.
Reply Quote
Sigh. While this is a good change, I would still like for you to fix the initial bug. It's a bug. It's wrong. :(

I don't want to find a bugged weapon and have it be an upgrade and know that it's a stupid bug that makes it good. :(

Just fix the damn bug...
Edited by SilverD#2963 on 1/31/2013 1:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
Mr. Vaeflare,

thanks for the post, but please add another example to your post about the "+x% damage" affix so people don´t have to test it themselves.

From the examples you made, it semms like you´ll fix the "+min/+max damage being calculated incorrectly issue", for rubies only.

This means that in your first example 150-200 weapon damage, a +80/+80 ruby in the current game (before the change) would give us 150+80 = 230 min damage and because 230 is higher than 200, 230+1+80 = 311 max damage. That´s the issue with calculating damage in the current game. The game adds min damage and then checks if it´s higher than max damage. If yes, it applies the higher min damage as the new max damage (+1).

The problem is, if you only fixed the bug itself, that this is a very minor fix. That´s why I ask for clarification:

Are you fixing just the calculation issue of rubies or are you also changing the position of rubies in the weapon damage calculation?

1. base weapon damage (base range of white weapons)
2. add +minimum (weapon) damage
3. add +min damage from Ruby
4. game checks if min damage is higher than base max damage (this step is the MinMaxDam issue):
YES -> use the new min damage +1 as base max damage
NO -> use original base max damage
5. add +maximum weapon damage
6. add +max damage from Ruby
7. multiply results 3. and 5. by "+x% damage"
8. add total min damage from jewelry and off hand (mojo/source) to min damage and total max damage from jewelry and off hand (mojo/source) to max damage
9. add "adds x% to elemental damage" by multiplying the min damage value by the x% and max damage value by the x% to get +min-max elemental damage
10. add "+min-max elemental damage"

Please answer, it´s unclear from your post. Thanks in advance.

Anyway, it´s nice to see the whole weapon damage being addressed by the developers, because it´s one of the biggest problems in the game right now. That´s why I specifically asked about elemental vs physical weapon damage in the ask the devs thread.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7710222398?page=6#118
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6444685753?page=1#17

Hopefully it got enough votes to be chosen. There´s no reason for elemental weapons (except cold) to be inferior to physical ones, damage-wise.
Edited by Nubtro#2147 on 1/31/2013 4:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
Man, I was looking forward to get that +30K DPS upgrade. But now I guess I'll just stick with the radiant emerald.
Reply Quote
Well, while fixing rubies might work for "balance" it basically means the whole ruby buff was a waste of time.
I can't find a single situation where I'd want to use a ruby over an emerald (except perhaps on a low level weapon).

This is coming from a calamity user, one of the items best suited to benefit from a ruby.
Reply Quote
this doesn't make sense, first you guys go and tell that Ruby will now be more useful than emeralds if you're into a IAS build (in the Calamity for example) and then you make it useless AGAIN by "fixing" basically nothing.

It's just a waste of time. I haven't tried PTR but I was looking forward to work for my new Ruby. Now I'll just do...nothing.
Reply Quote
Vaeflare (or any other community manager),

I´ve just tested the supposedly new Ruby effect in weapons. It´s not working as it´s described in the frst post.

Here´s my mace:
611-1043 displayed weapon damage
demolisher (186-191)-(344-354) base weapon damage
+268 minimum damage
+321 maximum damage
+34% damage

(186-191) + 268 minimum damage = 454-459 * 1.34 = 608.36-615.06 (min is 456)
456 > (344-354) so 456 + 1 is new base max
457 + 321 maximum damage = 778 * 1.34 = 1042.52 = 1043

New +40 minimum +40 maximum damage Radiant Square Ruby. Displayed weapon damage changed from 611-1043 to 665-1150.

minimum damage = (456 + 40) * 1.34 = 664.64 = displayed 665 (correct)
1. maximum damage = (457 + 321 + 40) * 1.34 = 1096.12 (false)
2. maximum damage = (457 + 321 + 40 + 40) * 1.34 = 1149.72 (correct)

Conclusion: The existing min/max damage calculating issue affects the rubies so that they still add too much damage. Instead of +40 maximum damage, it adds +40+40 maximum damage if there´s +min damage on the weapon that puts it higher than base max damage. Also, the position of rubies in the weapon damage calculation has not been changed. It still benefits from the +x% damage affix.

Other rubies:
Star Ruby (+60/+60): 691-1203 new displayed weapon damage. The same wrong calculation (+60+60 max damage).
Flawless Star Ruby (+80/+80): 718-1257 new displayed weapon damage. The same wrong calculation (+80+80 max damage).
Radiant Star Ruby (+120/+120): 772-1364 new displayed weapon damage. The same wrong calculation (+120+120 max damage).

This supposed "fix" was either not yet added or else doesn´t work as intended. I´m playing version 1.0.7.14456.

EDIT: I reread the first post and I apologize, I guess I misunderstood that the calc fix should already be up on the PTR but the post only states the damage buff of rubies is up. The fix is not up yet.

Still leaving the original part of the post here.

Suggestions on how to fix the rubies:
1. fix the black weapon damage calculation - easiest one but you said you won´t
2. change the position of rubies in weapon damage calculation - if you really want the ruby to just add +80 minimum and +80 maximum damage, put it at the end of weapon damage calculation (behind +elemental damage), or else before the "adds x% to elemental damage" affix calculation if you want rubies to have an impact on that affix.

It can´t be in the same position as +minimum +maximum damage on the weapon itself (before +x% damage) because that calculation itself is bugged. But I´m sure you have great minds working on this who know what they´re doing so don´t take this as me trying to teach you about game mechanics.

I love this game and honestly want to help make it better. Soo...judging by your post you´re really going to change to the position of rubies in weapon damage calculation, right? :)
Edited by Nubtro#2147 on 1/31/2013 3:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
manual calcs on my build:

marquise ruby: +20,648
marquise emerald: +32,486

previous marquise ruby: +39,764

chants will btw.

waste of time / gold for +10% cd lawl
Edited by err#1983 on 1/31/2013 3:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 09:28 PMPosted by Leaves

According to this blue post, the answer is 'not anymore'.
Reply Quote
suddenly, the all new ruby is useless after all.

if all other 3 gems are not be able to compete with 1 gem(emerald), why not buffing them up?

You need people acually plays diablo3 like we do, to work on diablo 3, anyone here knows the new ruby is unable to compete with emerald, and you are stuck in this bug issue.

Look out side of square, and see what it needs to be(as powerful as emerald), rather than just what theoretical position it should be at.
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 06:17 PMPosted by haushinka
Please just decide on something, make it consistent, and STICK with it.

This is the stupid mentality that leads to so much complaining. People need everything to be exactly what they want and perfect RIGHT NOW.

Please DONT just decide something, be consistent or stick with ideas on the PTR. PLEASE tinker with stuff ALL YOU WANT if the end result is a better game for all of us. Thats ENTIRELY what the PTR is for right?
Edited by Matma#1847 on 1/31/2013 4:33 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]