Diablo® III

Update on Upcoming Changes to Rubies

These new rubies are too powerful for a character lvl 20. "Hey, I am lvl 20, I have bought a sword ilvl 19 with a Radiant Square Ruby, and now I kill elite monsters in one blow!".

==> You need to add a lvl requirement for gems. Seriously.

The real game doesnt start until Inferno anyhow, who cares what a level 20 does? Even on basic gear doing normal mp10 with a basic socketed weap witha ruby you can 1 shot things lol.

We don't need level requirement. If we can afford a Radiant Square Ruby, it means that we already have cleared the game. It the same as using hellfire ring to level our new characters.

If 'new' players use rmah or has radiant star given to them, let them. Trying to hinder their leveling doesn't help the game one bit, might as well have a new player to farm in inferno to contribute more gears to the game.
Reply Quote

The real game doesnt start until Inferno anyhow, who cares what a level 20 does? Even on basic gear doing normal mp10 with a basic socketed weap witha ruby you can 1 shot things lol.

We don't need level requirement. If we can afford a Radiant Square Ruby, it means that we already have cleared the game. It the same as using hellfire ring to level our new characters.

If 'new' players use rmah or has radiant star given to them, let them. Trying to hinder their leveling doesn't help the game one bit, might as well have a new player to farm in inferno to contribute more gears to the game.

And then go ahead and kill the public games from normal to hell, like they did with reduced level requirements.

!@#$ grinding to lvl60. I want the game to start at level1 where it's actually possible to die, want a new character, work for it!

Might as well add an option then to instantly make a new lvl60 character for 50c. Gems really needed level requirements, and the level requirements reduction should of never existed with iLvl items, and it should of never gone past 10 levels.
Edited by Techies#1508 on 2/1/2013 1:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
Male ALL calculations uniform.

I want to know, that when I have an Socket affix with Ruby I'll gain the same DPS as with Black Damage affix with the same min/max number.
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 06:10 PMPosted by Vaeflare
We've been listening to your feedback

So listen to this one;

Instead of having to deal with ONE kind of calculation for Physical damage mods and %dmg mods we will now have TWO kind of things to think about.

Jewelry and Weapon will still work on the old system, while Ruby will work on the new and they will interract with your weapon/mods differently.

How on earth is that going to improve things?

People are FINE the way it was. If Ruby was too powerfull on 150-150 dmg, then you could of also just LOWERED it by a bit making them 130-130 or so, I dont care - but now you just making it more confusing when the same affix is applied differently when it comes for a Gem or an Item.

At least everything was clear before.... Ruby: (X+(X+Y)/2) * (1+%WeaponDmgMod) ...EASY, like ALL your other items...

Now it's completely separate from the rest adding a flat 150 average dmg - which is not going to cut it by a long shot. I don't see anywhere it's still going to interract with %dmg or %elemental or how it will be calculated besides the fact that it will just add X-Y to your base weapon dmg.
Edited by prod#2134 on 2/1/2013 2:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
Nice one!!

looking forward for the patch..
Reply Quote
We’ve been listening to your feedback, and we agree it’s weird for different rubies to function differently, especially if it’s hard to tell the difference. Based on this, we’ve decided that going forward, all rubies will use the new calculation, and we’ll be buffing all rubies to account for the difference in calculation. We’re still in the process of evaluating what we want the final numbers to be for patch 1.0.7 once it goes live, but our design philosophy remains that some but not all builds should prefer using rubies in the weapon slot.

The whole point of a PTR is to test things out, and we appreciate all the feedback so many of you have taken the time to write up. At the start of the PTR, Marquise Rubies were definitely looking stronger than we wanted initially, and as a result of the new calculation, we’ll likely have to further refine them so that we can get them to where we’d like Marquise Rubies to be.

I´m glad about this approach and agree that people should stop whining everytime you test something new on the PTR. Because PTR is there to test stuff, evaluate and then make the final (right) decision for the live game.

I assume you have some sort of item creation tools and simulators where you input a change, create new weapons and compare them (that´s what I would like to do). If I were you, the best way to communicate these kind of changes would be to post charts for players to see "what would happen, if". I believe honesty is the best approach.

Example:
You make a chart of the top 10 or 20 legendary weapons (dps-wise) and then add columns with the options (changes) you consider making.

1st column would be the original change of +150/+150 marq ruby which stays where it is (before +x% damage).
2nd column would be higher or lower damage bonus from rubies but in the same position
3rd column would be +150/+150 marq ruby but change position in the weapon damage calculation (after +x% damage" where jewelry and off hand +min/max damage is)
etc. each column would list the new weapon damage range and DPS with socketed rubies.

People would have a chance to understand the thought process behind game design changes and maybe even share their opinion about what they think is the best choice to make.

I know such an approach would require a lot of work but things like these need to be done when making important game design changes (like weapon damage is).

Anyway, related to the ruby change, I´d gladly test where the new ruby position is in the weapon damage calculation, but the PTR server seems to be down right now.
Edited by Nubtro#2147 on 2/1/2013 4:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 06:10 PMPosted by Vaeflare
The new buffed Rubies will do exactly what the tooltip claims. If a tooltip says +80 to Minimum Damage and +80 to Maximum Damage, then the damage on the weapon will go up by those amounts when the Ruby is socketed.

y don't u make it +80-160 damage
+80 min damage/+80 max damage is very confusing

ATM we have 4 +damage type(not counting element)
+min dmg, +max dmg, +% dmg, +x-y dmg.

assume u have a weapon X-Y dmg,

+min dmg = (X+min)-(Y+min) dmg,
example: i have $60-120 in my wallet, u'll give me min $10, so there'll be $70-130 in my wallet

+max dmg = X-(Y+max) dmg
example: i have $60-120 in my wallet, u'll give me max $10, so there'll be $60-130 in my wallet

+%dmg = (X-Y)(1+%) dmg
example: i have $60-120 in my wallet, u'll give 10% extra to me, so there'll $77-132 in my wallet

+x-y dmg = (X+x - Y+y) dmg
example: i have $60-120 in my wallet, u'll give me $10-20, so there'll be $70-140 in my wallet

just change the ruby's tool tip to +x-y damage, problem solved. no extra explanation needed

EDIT: example
Edited by batang#6346 on 2/1/2013 7:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
SO basically, people we're going to try out the new ruby because it was good for certain weapon types.

BUT now were all going to carry on using emeralds...

Great job Blizz, great job.

ZERO diversity in this game 4ever!
Reply Quote
Yes it was better for the cheated weapons than for the others.:)

Now it is good for the other weapons. But because they are not cheated nobody want them. So no diversity. The problem come from the bugged weapons not from the non bugged rubies.

Forcing to bug the rubies to make the bugged weapons even better, solve the diversity problem with gems. But it make worse the diversity problem with weapons. Of course until the black weapon bug is solve, we have diversity on neither for high end player.
Reply Quote
When you DO fix the bug, PLEASE apply the fix retroactively, else you will end up with another situation like the Natalya's Wrath [Legacy] set.

If you don't fix the bug retroactively, all future black weapons will roll inferior dps compared to their pre-fix versions, making the pre-fix black weapons MUCH more valuable/desirable, and further widening the gap between those who currently have top tier weapons (which are all black weapons, naturally) and those who don't.

You need to think about the longevity of the game and its economy, and sometimes that means making unpopular decisions, and nerfing things retroactively, as hard as that may be for some players to swallow.

This. You could also not fix existing ones, but buff new ones so they can roll slightly better or same DPS as the old ones using the new fixed calculation(obviously by making new minmax rolls bigger). I think that would be the best solution, I think no one will lose that way.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 07:58 AMPosted by Gibber
This. You could also not fix existing ones, but buff new ones so they can roll slightly better or same DPS as the old ones using the new fixed calculation(obviously by making new minmax rolls bigger). I think that would be the best solution, I think no one will lose that way.

Except for elemental weapons...
Reply Quote
My philosophy is why polish a turd. No matter what its still a turd. IMO go play PoE.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 08:54 AMPosted by Pirt
My philosophy is why polish a turd. No matter what its still a turd.

Check the mythbusters episode :)

there could still be hope
Reply Quote
This entire new gem thing as far as price is just bad for everyone... I'm happy to see there are new gems and that you are considering the end game of solo players with this BoA stuff... but at the end of the day what normal solo playing person is going to have 20 mil to make the gem let alone 5 mil to unsocket it... give me a break... this is just as bad as raising the rates on repairs... NO ONE WANTS THIS!

Now, having seen Rob's input on Jay's departure I can tell where all of these idea are coming from... "HEY, IF IT WORKED IN WOW... AYUCK"... no offense Rob, but WoW works because it is WoW... it's a thriving community of players and a social outlet... granted, making things costs buckets of money promotes scope and scale... I know this, but you have got to stop injecting this formula into Diablo... it's not good for it. Diablo should be fluid, fast, and fun. Not slow, repetitive and unrewarding. Again I understand this for wow... after all you have a chest piece lets say for a month or 2 until the next patch or content comes out.. maybe even for 6 months to a year... so 5 mil for something like that makes sense... but NOT for Diablo.

Also, Items need fixed, Buff icons need a look, multiplayer needs a look, and high level MP needs another look as far as "elite legendaries go"... which, by the way, needs to be a new category to give mp5-10 the edge on itemization.

Thank you for the hard work... although this "ask the devs" is nothing more than a ploy to get the "most pressing" problems narrowed down... I'm glad you are doing it for what it is, but why not just take the walls of text that are at the top of the forums day in and day out and summarize what they mean... i.e. Items are bad, etc etc? Well, in any case, I look forward to playing more and seeing the xp boost for MP gives me hope, which in turn will make getting paragon and thus better items a reality! You are headed in the right direction! Keep up the good work!
Edited by TheOneRaven#1565 on 2/1/2013 9:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 06:17 PMPosted by haushinka
Please just decide on something, make it consistent, and STICK with it.

seriously, the designers are making this feel more like the beta then anything.

its getting tiresome having to re-adjust my techniques every time a patch comes out to fix non-existent bugs.
Edited by troblemaker#1793 on 2/1/2013 10:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
+min/+max damage is not the same thing as +x-y damage, unless I'm missing something on how the damage is calculated or the damage bonus is applied.

ex.:
Strength value: 2000
Weapon damage: 150-200

+15min/+15max damage:
150+15=165x2000%=3465 (165+(165*20))
200+15=215x2000%=4515 (215+(215*20))
= 3465-4515 damage

+15-30 damage
(min weapon) = 150*2000%= 3150 (150+(150*20))
(max weapon) = 200*2000%= 4200 (200+(200*20))
(min bonus) = 15*2000% = 315 (15+(15*20))
(max bonus) = 30*2000% = 630 (30+(30*20))
min+min = 3150+315 = 3465
max+max = 4200+630 = 4830
= 3465-4830 damage

I'm not an expert on this, this is just how I thought the damage was applied, so I could easily be completely wrong if the "+15-30" bonus is applied differently than I am thinking, but it shows why the dps values are different for min/max bonuses vs. +x-y bonuses. The low side damage is the same, but +x-y bonuses have a higher top side potential. To be honest, I don't see how one could think they were equivalent anyway, because changing +15-30 to 15min/15max you get shafted 15 damage on the top end. Instead of making a 150-200 weapon a 165-230 weapon it makes it 165-215, which may not seem like too much of a loss, but it can add up.
Edited by coliostro7#1338 on 2/1/2013 10:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
You all keep complaining about Nerfs when nothing has actually happened yet? This is still on the PTR for christ sake people. This is not a subscription game they don't have to do a damn thing to change it. You bought the game and if you like it you continue to play it, if you don't you put it away. Blizzard should shut down the forums stop doing updates and sit back and count their money, while all of you self entitled children piss and moan yourselves to death.

But no they try to listen, tweak and update the game with added features to make it more enjoyable for all, while providing a site where people can put in their suggestions and discuss strategies and such. This is why I love Blizzard games, but listening to you people make me sick sometimes when all you do is !@#$% and moan constantly like Blizzard stole your lunch money and at recess everyday they punch you in the face.
Reply Quote
01/31/2013 01:18 PMPosted by xzavier
I think the prices of gems always has been way to high. It should be somewhat obtainable without using RMAH which it isn't now. I've picked up about 42m gold in 480h of playing and what would that have gotten me? One perfect Gem, one... The best gems should cost 5m tops.
lol wut?
You want the TOP of the TOP GEAR for so cheap? Really?

Buy an old Pinto... pay $1000. It may go 50 mph
Buy an old Buick... pay $4000. It may go 70 mph
Buy an old BMW... pay $9000. It may go 90 mph
Buy a new Hyundai... pay $20,000. It may go 120 mph
Buy a new Ferarri... pay $300,000. It may go 180 mph
Buy a new F1 racecar... pay $1,500,000. It may go 240 mph

You're complaining you need a racecar for a 10 mile daily trek. You don't.
And if you don't like spending money on gems, then don't. Again, you don't NEED perfect gems.

The benefit to cost ratio drops off significantly at the higher gem levels.
Reply Quote
Why is it when I go to launch Diabloe 3, it's stuck on the "updating blizzard update agent?" It never launches and it never finishes updating. What he heck is going on!!!!!
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 12:01 PMPosted by CyberGoat
I think the prices of gems always has been way to high. It should be somewhat obtainable without using RMAH which it isn't now. I've picked up about 42m gold in 480h of playing and what would that have gotten me? One perfect Gem, one... The best gems should cost 5m tops.
lol wut?
You want the TOP of the TOP GEAR for so cheap? Really?

Buy an old Pinto... pay $1000. It may go 50 mph
Buy an old Buick... pay $4000. It may go 70 mph
Buy an old BMW... pay $9000. It may go 90 mph
Buy a new Hyundai... pay $20,000. It may go 120 mph
Buy a new Ferarri... pay $300,000. It may go 180 mph
Buy a new F1 racecar... pay $1,500,000. It may go 240 mph

You're complaining you need a racecar for a 10 mile daily trek. You don't.
And if you don't like spending money on gems, then don't. Again, you don't NEED perfect gems.

The benefit to cost ratio drops off significantly at the higher gem levels.

No one needs a car that can go faster than 80-100mph since the speed limit caps you at 75mph on the "fastest" highways. There's a sort of ehp(life) limit of 1m to 1.5m for higher MP(especially above 5) if your life is too low, higher MP will take too long with all that death zerging. The huge gold cost of higher gems could instead be spent buying better gear anyway.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]