Diablo® III

Update on Upcoming Changes to Rubies

We’ve been listening to your feedback, and we agree it’s weird for different rubies to function differently, especially if it’s hard to tell the difference. Based on this, we’ve decided that going forward, all rubies will use the new calculation, and we’ll be buffing all rubies to account for the difference in calculation. We’re still in the process of evaluating what we want the final numbers to be for patch 1.0.7 once it goes live, but our design philosophy remains that some but not all builds should prefer using rubies in the weapon slot.

The whole point of a PTR is to test things out, and we appreciate all the feedback so many of you have taken the time to write up. At the start of the PTR, Marquise Rubies were definitely looking stronger than we wanted initially, and as a result of the new calculation, we’ll likely have to further refine them so that we can get them to where we’d like Marquise Rubies to be.

The "new calculation" is actually equivalent to the current +X to minimum damage mod.

So if you want a ruby that is currently +120 to minimum damage/+120 to maximum damage (using the new calculation) it is equivalent to just saying "+120 to minimum damage" wording.

Yes, +X to minimum damage adds both to minimum and maximum. It has to work like this because else it would be possible for total minimum to be greater than maximum and that would be quite lame.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 12:01 PMPosted by CyberGoat
I think the prices of gems always has been way to high. It should be somewhat obtainable without using RMAH which it isn't now. I've picked up about 42m gold in 480h of playing and what would that have gotten me? One perfect Gem, one... The best gems should cost 5m tops.
lol wut?
You want the TOP of the TOP GEAR for so cheap? Really?

Buy an old Pinto... pay $1000. It may go 50 mph
Buy an old Buick... pay $4000. It may go 70 mph
Buy an old BMW... pay $9000. It may go 90 mph
Buy a new Hyundai... pay $20,000. It may go 120 mph
Buy a new Ferarri... pay $300,000. It may go 180 mph
Buy a new F1 racecar... pay $1,500,000. It may go 240 mph

You're complaining you need a racecar for a 10 mile daily trek. You don't.
And if you don't like spending money on gems, then don't. Again, you don't NEED perfect gems.

The benefit to cost ratio drops off significantly at the higher gem levels.

You fail.

Well the cost of so called highend gear, or toptier gear is valued by other players and whatever they want to pay is up to them. But an ingame item, created by players should be somewhat relevant to what you can actually pickup ingame. And now its nowhere near that, and that is not what i call a free game its more like a mobil game where you kind'a forced to pay if you want to proceed with the game. And of cours the RNG is to poor adn random in D3 so you have to pay for your success anyway but i still think the gem prices should be obtainable by just playing the game and not trading using AH
Reply Quote
I think the prices of gems always has been way to high. It should be somewhat obtainable without using RMAH which it isn't now. I've picked up about 42m gold in 480h of playing and what would that have gotten me? One perfect Gem, one... The best gems should cost 5m tops.

The game is about grinding, yes, but you forgot the flipping. In order for you to be successful you must flip items in the AH. And also, have you considered using the RMAH to buy gold? Much more efficient than wasting countless hours picking up 1k (on average) stacks at a time when you could easily cough up a quarter to get yourself a mil.
Reply Quote
This ruby backtrack is a major let down... Blizzard was moving towards balancing the emerald and ruby gems in weapons. Now the emerald is still leap and bounds better than the ruby. On my wizard a radiant star ruby was a 2k dps increase over a radiant star emerald, not a large margin. However, under the new scheme the ruby is a 10k dps loss. The balance between the two is completely gone now, either improve the calculation or increase the damage ranges provided the rubies please. If you really want a balance between the two gems at all...
Reply Quote
So why isn't this being applied to all rubies and not just the higher end ones?
Reply Quote
Has the new Ruby calculation change being incorporated in the PTR? Please advise
Reply Quote
+15min/+15max damage:
150+15=165x2000%=3465 (165+(165*20))
200+15=215x2000%=4515 (215+(215*20))
= 3465-4515 damage

+15-30 damage
(min weapon) = 150*2000%= 3150 (150+(150*20))
(max weapon) = 200*2000%= 4200 (200+(200*20))
(min bonus) = 15*2000% = 315 (15+(15*20))
(max bonus) = 30*2000% = 630 (30+(30*20))
min+min = 3150+315 = 3465
max+max = 4200+630 = 4830
= 3465-4830 damage

That is good. You just forget a point here: tip tool bug.
Edited by holce#2777 on 2/1/2013 11:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
First Things First

To reiterate, we're not going to be changing how the MinMaxDamage affix calculates bonus damage on weapons in 1.0.7, nor do we have any immediate plans to do so. We're okay with the way black weapons are now and we don’t feel the bug, as it exists currently, is severe enough to warrant an urgent fix. It’s still a bug we want to fix at some point in the future, but we have no intention of making any changes to items that currently have or might drop with the MinMaxDamage affix between now and then (i.e. once we do fix the bug, only new items that drop from that point on would roll with the revised calculation).

So, now that we've cleared that up…

Ugh. The tone of this drips with indifference almost arrogance. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting it due to it being on the internet. Perhaps Blizzard is just worried about potential backlash from people who own bugged weapons, who bought them even. Personally, I don't care if players wish to keep their bugged black weapons or not. Let them keep them or don't. Either way, if you know there is a bug in the game, fix it!

This isn't a minor bug. Since items are a major part of the game, their damages being correctly calculated is of utmost importance. I don't want to see a bunch of nerfs but imagine folks if this were the other way around, what if the bugged weapons were too weak instead of too strong (which is essentially the case right now for the not bugged elemental weapons)? Would we want Blizzard yawning and being lazy to fix this bug then? No, of course not.

We cannot be so greedy. If there is a bug that negatively affects the mechanics or math or code etc etc of the game in a way that confuses players or makes the game not work properly, that bug should be fixed whether or not it is currently making life seem easier or not. Otherwise, the bugs keep piling up. Blizzard needs to either do their job or admit that they don't care about the quality of the game. And, before I get flamed by fanboys, fangirls or CM's.. let's take a look at a recent list of known issues/bugs:

Go to the linked page:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592202049#1

*Note this list isn't 100% up-to-date and doesn't include *all* bugs but is a recently posted list.

There are tons of other issues reported not even on the list either because they're not confirmed by QA or not as important but other issues exist as well. I don't think this list is horribly bad but if they take an ever increasingly lazy (and inconsistent) approach to addressing the issues, the issues/bugs etc will continue to pile up and confuse players. Please Blizzard, if the current people are not as lazy as it sometimes seems and really are working hard, then hire more people. I'm sure there are plenty of software people out there looking for work. Don't overstress your current talent.
Edited by Philoi#1655 on 2/2/2013 12:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
This isn't a minor bug. Since items are a major part of the game, their damages being correctly calculated is of utmost importance. I don't want to see a bunch of nerfs but imagine folks if this were the other way around, what if the bugged weapons were too weak instead of too strong (which is essentially the case right now for the not bugged elemental weapons)? Would we want Blizzard yawning and being lazy to fix this bug then? No, of course not.

What if? Who cares about what if. I care about what is, and the reality is that if you want this bug fixed then you're asking for a nerf. How does this bug affect you? By looking at your gear it doesnt affect you at all, so mind your own business and let other people have their fun. Quit asking for a nerf for stuff that doesnt even affect you!!!
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 05:59 PMPosted by PurpleMTL

The game is about grinding, yes, but you forgot the flipping. In order for you to be successful you must flip items in the AH. And also, have you considered using the RMAH to buy gold? Much more efficient than wasting countless hours picking up 1k (on average) stacks at a time when you could easily cough up a quarter to get yourself a mil.

Well yet again someone fail to see my point. You shouldn't have to use AH or RMAH to obtain in game items that you can make yourself. Yes, you can make allot of money flipping AH but then you also have to spend allot of time looking and searching AH which surely the game isn't about. Is it a hack n' slash game or is it a trade game??
Reply Quote
For all those who have a basic idea about weapon damage calculation, here´s what the new Ruby change actually means. I´ve just tested it on PTR.

Order of weapon damage calculation in 1.0.6:
1. base weapon damage (base range of white weapons)
2. add +minimum (weapon) damage
3. add +min damage from Ruby
4. game checks if min damage is higher than base max damage (this step is the MinMaxDam issue):
YES -> use the new min damage +1 as base max damage
NO -> use original base max damage
5. add +maximum weapon damage
6. add +max damage from Ruby
7. multiply results 3. and 5. by "+x% damage"
8. add total min damage from jewelry and off hand (mojo/source) to min damage and total max damage from jewelry and off hand (mojo/source) to max damage
9. add "adds x% to elemental damage" by multiplying the min damage value by the x% and max damage value by the x% to get +min-max elemental damage
10. add "+min-max elemental damage"

In the above order of calculation (before the change), you´ll notice that min damage from rubies was added in step 3 before step 4 (game checking if min is higher than max) so your max damage (steps 5 and 6) would later get the benefit of min Ruby damage.

Now this has changed. Min Ruby damage is added AFTER the game checks if min damage > max damage (step 4) but Rubies still get the benefit from +x% damage. So in the above order of calculation, step 3 and step 4 switched positions.

Here´s the simple test I made:
demolisher 611-1043
(186-191)-(344-354) base
+268 minimum damage
+321 maximum damage
+34% damage

- radiant star ruby before the change (from a few days ago): 611-1043 -> 772-1364
- radiant star ruby after the change: 611-1043 -> 772-1203
calc min damage: (188 + 268 + 120) * 1.34 = 771.84 = 772 (correct)
calc max damage before: (188 + 268 + 120) = 576 check if higher than (344-354); yes add 1 = 577
(577 + 321 + 120) * 1.34 = 1364.12 = 1364 (correct)
calc max damage after: (188 + 268) = 456 check if higher than (344-354) , yes add 1 = 457
(457 + 321 + 120) = 1203.32 = 1203 (correct)

What they did here is they actually fixed part of the MinMaxDam issue - related to Rubies. Your max damage no longer gets the benefit from the min damage on your Rubies.

From the wording of the first post I predicted that rubies would be put after +x% damage which would really result in just +120 min and +120 max, but I was wrong. You´ll still get the +x% damage bonus for up to 180 min and 180 max damage from radiant star rubies (on a +50% damage rolled wepaon) and +225 min and +225 max on marq. rubies.

I believe this is a reasonable change.
Reply Quote
gems... make it more in pvp

like increase chance to dodge / chance to hit enemy / increase chance to block / increase maximum mana / hp or regen etc
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 01:01 AMPosted by Monsta
What if? Who cares about what if. I care about what is, and the reality is that if you want this bug fixed then you're asking for a nerf. How does this bug affect you? By looking at your gear it doesnt affect you at all, so mind your own business and let other people have their fun. Quit asking for a nerf for stuff that doesnt even affect you!!!

The facts is this bug breaks all weapons balance. It could be 10 times more kind of end game weapons without it. So that's a big concern. But you are right it is easier to say when you don't benefit from the bug. The devs want to resolve the bug without nerfing existed weapons. I just hope they find a way to do it quickly enough.
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 01:01 AMPosted by Monsta

Amen to my brutha from anutha mutha!
Reply Quote

The facts is this bug breaks all weapons balance. It could be 10 times more kind of end game weapons without it. So that's a big concern. But you are right it is easier to say when you don't benefit from the bug. The devs want to resolve the bug without nerfing existed weapons. I just hope they find a way to do it quickly enough.

uhhhhhh hrmmmmmm I would end up writing a post that would span pages responding to your statement.

Weapons have always had imbalance. Rares are many times better than rares... and some legendaries are better than rares. Whether an item is better because of another due to a "bug" or not is not relavent. Which weapon currently is so OP over the next "best thing" you can't compete with it? (this is a rhetorical question).

Whichever weapon is chosen through your thought process ... allows you to save your gold for that weapon or not. The choice is up to you. If you weren't informed about a weapon or some weapons having a "bug" it would not have made a difference to you. Now that you find out about it it becomes an issue. Maybe the best thing is to return back to the EU server and work on your characters there and not be so hateful for people who have higher-end weapons (bugged or not). Just seems you are a player who doesn't have higher end gear and weapons and want to take joy simply in seeing if you can knock the higher players down.

Better time and effort would be spent in beefing up your character than trying to tear others down whether they have certain gear or not. I'm making an educated guess ... if you were dropped a very good weapon that might be "bugged" 1 of 3 scenerios would occur:

1> you would be like "YES" and use this weapon yourself
2> you would know the weapon is bugged and know it would sell for A LOT of gold to upgrade other gear and then sell it
3> You would simply salvage it since it is a bugged weapon and nobody should use a bugged weapon.

Not being mean here... but I'd pretty much bet almost any piece of gear I have that #3 would not be an option on the table for you. so it then boils down to jealousy ..... we covet that which we don't have or cannot have and make those which have what we wish we had suffer.

In the old days... everyone was trying to get rid of Legacy Nats .... that wasn't successful. Instead blizz changed nat sets. but there is still qquing about those LN4 sets out there and well.... you can either QQ about 'em or save up and get 'em yourself or just move onto the next thing.
Edited by BubbaGump#1297 on 2/2/2013 12:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
Here's an idea Blizz..

START BUFFING INSTEAD OF NERFING!!

ADD Skulls, Sapphires, and Diamonds IMMEDIATELY. Put great defensive affix's on the 3 gems. Block rate, Faster hit recovery, etc.

Oh and Jewel's were sweet too. Put them in.

It's not hard to make this game godly. Get your head on straight.
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 06:10 PMPosted by Vaeflare
Philosophically, this change is important because the MinMaxDamage affix doesn't work the way that you'd expect when it comes to bonus damage. It's not intuitive.

Lots of things aren't intuitive in this game. That's not a reason to make a change like this.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]