Diablo® III

Wizard skills - The Great Overhaul

Wizards are due for an overhaul. I think most would agree.

Here are my premises for this overhaul:
1. CM builds cannot be touched (buffed or nerfed)
2. CM builds are the ceiling for potential buffs. As long as a build cannot be made that is better than SNS, it is in reasonable territory.

So without further ado:

Active Skills
Ray of Frost:
->Sleet Storm - Increase radius by 25%

Arcane Orb: Increase to 250% weapon damage as Arcane. AP cost reduced to 30.
->Obliteration - Increase to 325% weapon damage as Arcane
->Arcane Orbit - No cast time. 7 yard radius hitbox. Summons 4 orbs that circle around you for 8 seconds. When triggered, they explode but do not disappear, and deal 120% weapon damage as Arcane to enemies within 10 yards, with a 40% chance of knock back. When an orb explodes, there is a 1 second delay before another orb can explode. [Original idea by Dragonfly]
->Tap the Source - AP cost reduced to 18

Arcane Torrent:
->Arcane Mines - Reduce time to arm to 1 second. Damage increased to 320%.
->Power Stone - Increase Power Stone chance to 15%

Disintegrate:
->Convergence - Also changes damage to Fire [Original idea by minkywhale]

Diamond Skin:
->Enduring Skin - Reduce Cooldown to 6 seconds. This rune is not affected by Critical Mass and Evocation.

Teleport:
->Scrap "Reversal". Put the Overdrive rune in its place.
->Overdrive - Remove the cooldown on Teleport. Increase AP cost to 25

Wave of Force: Cooldown reduced to 12 seconds
->Force Affinity - Cooldown reduced to 6 seconds

Energy Twister:
->Raging Storm - 720% weapon damage as Arcane over 9 seconds when two twisters collide
->Storm Chaser - 150% weapon damage as Arcane per Wind Charge

Mirror Image: Increased to 50% of your life per duplicate
->Simulacrum - Increase Life to 150% of your life
->Extension of Will - 25% of the damage you take is dealt to one of your duplicates instead
->Mirror Mimics - Spells cast by your Mirror Images do 35% of the damage of your own spells

Archon:
->Pure Power (change to Vampiric) - Gain 3% Life Steal
Edited by necropuddi#1442 on 2/15/2013 8:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
Passive Skills
Power Hungry: Gain 2 AP/sec buff whenever you are healed by a health globe. Buff lasts 10 seconds, stacks up to 3. In addition, gain 10 AP whenever you are healed by a health globe.

Prodigy: Keeps its current effects. In addition, it has the following effect:
Allows certain skills to be cast while on cooldown (limit once per cooldown cycle), but with 35 AP cost.
Applies for: Teleport, Wave of Force, Mirror Image

Paralysis: 8% chance to Stun for 1.5 seconds -> 42% chance to stun for 2 seconds. After the third time it activates, Paralysis undergoes a 2 second cooldown.

Galvanizing Ward: 120 seconds -> 480 seconds. 310.097 -> 310.097 + 1% max HP. Also extends its effects to Magic Weapon and Familiar.
In addition, when you channel, you become immune to crowd control effects and reduce damage taken by 10%.
Edited by necropuddi#1442 on 2/15/2013 8:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
Paralysis: works with all lightning skills.
Teleport: no cooldown. Can teleport through walls and obstacles. Removes debuffs.
Reply Quote
Paralysis: works with all lightning skills.
Teleport: no cooldown. Can teleport through walls and obstacles. Removes debuffs.

Paralysis does work with all lightning skills I believe, but the 8% multiplies onto the skills' proc coefficients, creating something like a hundredth of a percentage chance to activate.

And Teleport is one of the most used Wizard skills in the game. I think it is fine as is. And the inability to teleport through small obstacles is more of a bug/design issue. But I agree, they do need to fix that.
Edited by necropuddi#1442 on 1/31/2013 2:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
until you do something about loh procs. all stand and channel spells are just asking for a beating into an early grave. either that or 30% more mitigation from all sources while channeling

as for the moving twisters, they have to be meteor like in damage before anyone considers them using as main ap spender. 390% per second.

I've tested variants of those using a combo of living lightning/stormchaser/galeforce/arcane dynamo and result as of current = terrible in contrast to cm ww / sns / ll+meteor / cm ww meteor)
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 1/31/2013 2:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
disintegrate should be changed to fire damage so wizards have one more source of conflagration
Reply Quote
01/31/2013 02:42 AMPosted by minkywhale
disintegrate should be changed to fire damage so wizards have one more source of conflagration

Yes. Like this:
http://magiccards.info/query?q=Disintegrate&v=card&s=cname

See? RED. FIRE DAMAGE.
Reply Quote
01/31/2013 02:45 AMPosted by DomonKassui

Yes. Like this:
http://magiccards.info/query?q=Disintegrate&v=card&s=cname

See? RED. FIRE DAMAGE.

anything red that does arcane damage is a sin and a disgrace to mankind

needs to be rectified immediately
Reply Quote
Slow Time
Defensive
Cooldown: 15 seconds
Invoke a bubble of warped time and space around yourself for 8 seconds, reducing enemy attack speed by 20% and movement speed by 60%. This bubble also slows the movement of enemy projectiles by 90%

Time Shell
Increases the potency of the movement speed reduction to 70%.
Increases the movement speed of any allies within the bubble by 10%

So instead of staying on the ground, the bubble will remain centered around you while you move across the map.

This skill will improve the mobility of a kiting wizard.
Edited by DomonKassui#1611 on 1/31/2013 3:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
until you do something about loh procs. all stand and channel spells are just asking for a beating into an early grave. either that or 30% more mitigation from all sources while channeling

Agreed. Either that or give all channel spells 100% chance to knockback during the first tick, then slow enemy movement towards you down on subsequent ticks.

The effect should be like when angry mobs are being sprayed down by a high-pressure water hose.

Channel spells should have built-in CC effects to make them viable!
Edited by DomonKassui#1611 on 1/31/2013 3:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
To solve all these problems is just make a system players can modify their own ability -_-.
Reply Quote
01/31/2013 03:06 AMPosted by KradisZ
To solve all these problems is just make a system players can modify their own ability -_-.

Like a Map Editor where players can create their own custom maps and design new abilities?
That would be nice.

However, the changes we are suggesting here are ones we are hoping will make it into the live game in a future patch.
Reply Quote
what they need is not more dps but more time to stand around and do dps so have passives gain power for having spells on cooldown like galvanizing ward have the base 300 but say a extra 125 for each spell on cooldown then do the same with paralysis give it an extra %5 to stun prodigy give sig spells 1%life steal per spell on cool down.and maybe some more cooldown synergy like blur reducing ranged dmg when archon is on cooldown...so it doesn't feel like such a waste when you run into a dry patch. Conflagration i feel just always comes up to short vs cold blooded yes it gives a buff to the team but so can a nova rune and more..so i say i need a chance to make affected enemy go boom for a little more dps.
Edited by rye#2475 on 1/31/2013 3:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/31/2013 03:19 AMPosted by rye
what they need is not more dps but more time to stand around and do dps

Right. Giving channeling spells cc abilities like knockback and slow will give us more time to deal damage.
Reply Quote
There are just way too many useless skills and runes I will never use.

probably 85% of the passives
and 80% of the runes do not get used.

to me it boils down to mechanics and how the skills are meant to be used.
a perfect example is diamond skin. honestly who the hell is going to use diamond skin and not use crystal shell?

or time warp if they are using slow time?

or another example is the exploding blast. The ideas they had are cool with the runes, but they just arent effective because there are not enough corresponding runes in other skills that support the use of them.

What they need to do is go through all of these runes, passive and non passive and say, (WITHOUT TAKING GEAR INTO ACCOUNT)

"ok. let's say I had to make THIS rune be the bedrock of my wizard build. Which other skills and passives do I NEED for support and how powerful do they have to be"

1 by 1. all the passives and all the actives.
It makes me honestly wonder if the people who developed the wizard actually play this game....

Who the hell is using conflagration effectively or more importantly AS THE BEDROCK OF THEIR BUILD?

that in my opinion is what they need to do. Not tweak the numbers up and down of 2-3 skills every 4-5 months.
Reply Quote
Deleted
Edited by TheEnzVolta#1821 on 1/31/2013 6:10 AM PST
Reply Quote

as for the moving twisters, they have to be meteor like in damage before anyone considers them using as main ap spender. 390% per second.

I've tested variants of those using a combo of living lightning/stormchaser/galeforce/arcane dynamo and result as of current = terrible in contrast to cm ww / sns / ll+meteor / cm ww meteor)

I sort of figured that if defensive skills carried more weight, channeling naturally becomes more doable. An example is Mirror Image, which imo I'm suggesting quite a drastic buff.

With the buffed Prodigy, you could potentially be looking at almost 100% uptime of Mirror Mimics that deal a total of 70% of what you deal, while diverting the attention of monsters. Extension of Will would decrease the amount of damage you take by 25% (in conjunction with something like Prismatic that is some very extreme mitigation). And the rune that gives your copies 150% of your HP creates some really mean tanks, and with Prodigy, again, almost 100% uptime.

Prodigy + Teleport (Calamity) and a max-Tele Oculus can be a wrecking force by itself. Same with Prodigy + Wave of Force (Force Affinity). That's 2 Wave of Force within 6 seconds, though it carries a chunky AP cost (which is good in its own way because coupled with Prodigy's original effect, it creates some nice Signature Skill + Wave of Force synergy builds)

And with Energy Twister (Raging Storm), what I had in mind was synergy with Mirror Image (Mirror Mimics). If you let your cast override a clone's cast, and have the combination do 720% over 9 seconds, that's quite a few free big tornadoes you have going.

What I'm trying to make here are fundamental changes to the core of Wizard synergy so that there is room to theorycraft. What I don't want is to ask for everything to be handed to us easy like what Barbarians eventually got.

There's a lot of potential in our defensive skills if cooldown becomes less of an issue. That's what my proposed change to Prodigy is all about. Mirror Image I feel, with the changes I suggest, can become a skill that stalls for indefinitely long periods of time if played correctly. Mirror Mimics when you have an Arcane skill equipped and Temporal Flux means you can move around while they hit for 70% of your power, and when they have everything slowed, that's when you can channel.

And stuff like Arcane Mines, with just a 1 second arming time, can be laid in a hurry. Then again, with Temporal Flux, slows, allowing you to channel.
Reply Quote
Bump
Reply Quote
I understand the OP's rules, but the problems completely revolve around CM being overpowered.

The evocation passive could reduce cooldowns by 75% and it would still be the inferior choice. Buffing all options to be as powerful as CM (in the late game) is simply unrealistic.

Power Hungry: Gain 30% arcane power by health globes

Blur: Dodge is increased by 20%

Glass Cannon: Damage increased by 15%, CHC by 5%, CHD by 50%.
Reduce effectiveness of armor, resistances, life regen, life steal, life on hit, and vitality by 10%

Prodigy: Gain 4% AP from signature spells. Signature spells have 3% LS.

Cold Blooded: All cold damage is increased by 20%. Slow and Freeze effects are improved by 10%

Conflagration: 10% added fire damage over 3 seconds. This effect will spread to adjacent enemies and objects.

Paralysis (renamed Lightning mastery): Your movement speed is increased by 10%. Lightning damage has a 10% chance to stun for 2 seconds.

Galvanizing Ward: Same effect + You may now surround yourself with 2 armor spells.

Temporal Flux: Arcane powers cost 10% less and slow enemies by 60% for 2 seconds.

Arcane Dynamo: Each consecutive use of a signature spell increases it's damage by 20% and can stack up to 5 times. This bonus is removed when a non-signature spell is cast.

Unstable Anomaly: As is but also generates a slow time bubble around you at time of use.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]