Diablo® III

Drill

(Locked)

02/05/2013 11:48 PMPosted by Grimiku
In regards to adding sockets to items, I would like to say that it's still on the table for consideration and certainly something we'd like to add, but it would be a long term design goal if it were to be implemented at all.

If you don't implement socketing... I'll be let down. :(

Don't let me down.... *begs with tearing eyes*
Adding sockets to items as a form of gold sink is a waste of time. It won't change a thing. 97% of people will just be socketing an emerald, or a ruby depending on dual wield or 2h.

If this was D2, where there were gems, runes and jewels, that would have been a wonderful idea. But until atleast 5 new gem types are introduced, this is a waste of time better spent on..... new gems!
02/06/2013 12:17 AMPosted by CylentPsycho
In regards to adding sockets to items, I would like to say that it's still on the table for consideration and certainly something we'd like to add, but it would be a long term design goal if it were to be implemented at all.
This would absolute kill the economy. don't even joke about stuff like this -_-

No it wouldn't.

Sooner than later please.... Artisans are boring. Anything added to give them more usefulness is a bonus.

The ability to craft specific-stat temporary items should be next on your list. Using crafting materials and some gold... It would give an outlet to test items before buying high-value permanent items and do a lot for the crafting materials market.
Edited by adm0ni#1887 on 2/6/2013 5:01 AM PST
Drilling an item socket should weaken the weapon. Add socket to an item should subtract 15% of the dps that the weapon currently has and that would help to sustain the value of already existing items.

Edit.. And make it super expensive!
Edited by Incoherent#1536 on 2/6/2013 5:01 AM PST
If at this point, Blizz is still more concerned about the economy rather than adding to the metagame, it's a bad sign.

Long term? You mean expansion.

And bad joke is bad.
Drilling an item socket should weaken the weapon. Add socket to an item should subtract 15% of the dps that the weapon currently has and that would help to sustain the value of already existing items.

Trying to limit progressive improvements to protect existing gear in a game like this is pointless. The only people that benefit from the current state are scammers and flippers. It helps them control the market and inflate prices.

You are looking at this wrong imo. There is no need to degrade an item. Artisans should be used to improve and fix items. Shen should be able to add sockets to anything. The blacksmith should be able to buff items by adding stats (at a cost and using crafting mats).

Expand players ability to make choices and have more control over their gear so they are not totally reliant on the ridiculous random "roll" mentality that the game currently depends on....

This adds value to the game. It becomes more.....fun.....

Edit add: adding things like socketing or more crafting will change the value of items on the AH... but it would add a lot to the crafting portion of the AH if it is implemented properly.
Edited by adm0ni#1887 on 2/6/2013 5:19 AM PST

Trying to limit progressive improvements to protect existing gear in a game like this is pointless. The only people that benefit from the current state are scammers and flippers. It helps them control the market and inflate prices.

Expand players ability to make choices and have more control over their gear beyond the ridiculous gambling random "roll" mentality that the game currently depends on....

This adds value to the game. It becomes more.....fun.....

Edit add: adding things like socketing or more crafting will change the value of items on the AH... but it would add a lot to the crafting portion of the AH if it is implemented properly.

Attempting to not undermine all of the work players have put in up to this point hardly seems pointless to me, in fact it seems necessary and should be done with the utmost care and consideration,
02/06/2013 05:16 AMPosted by Incoherent
Attempting to not undermine all of the work players have put in up to this point hardly seems pointless to me, in fact it seems necessary and should be done with the utmost care and consideration,

Again, the only people that benefit from the current state are scammers and flippers.

I am not at all concerned if their efforts are undermined.
02/06/2013 05:20 AMPosted by adm0ni
Again, the only people that benefit from the current state are scammers and flippers.

Not to mention, the basis for allowing socketing shouldn't be the economy. To use Jay Wilson's words, [censored] that economy. Let it die if it must.

Itemization left unfixed will crutch the economy anyway.
In general "power creep" is inevitable in a game like Diablo (over time items get more powerful as better drops are found and cooler items are released). Power creep is safe, because it doesn't damage current items (generally), it just makes newer ones more desirable.

Adding a socket greatly improves a piece of gear, but adding a socket to an item that is already good greatly diminishes items that sacrificed some other roll for a socket roll, because non-socket items that already exist will suddenly become more powerful than socket items that already exist, That would be bad.

I would suggest that the mechanic be provided to add "an additional" socket. Meaning you can add 1 more socket to anything, even something that is already socketed. That way a socket roll is still just as valuable as it is today, but you can compensate for something that is missing a socket roll.

Socketing is a VERY important part of Diablo, you HAVE to add it ! But certainly not with the current state of items/gems. There must be more socketable things, the game is too plain and simple right now. There are not enough choices.
View profile
Those of us that have spent hundreds of millions of gold (and thereby hundreds of hours) buying some of the best 6-property items that exist would be massively pissed that all of a sudden 7-property items exist and all of our work is down the drain.

To say nothing of the people that spent real money....
Edited by freakinjstu#1760 on 2/6/2013 5:37 AM PST

It takes a CM 44 words to say "probably not." You'll notice that neither the CM's run-on sentence nor my two word translation contain a plausible reason as to why not.
Those of uas that have spent hundreds of millions of gold (and thereby hundreds of hours) buying some of the best 6-property items that exist would be massively pissed that all of a sudden 7-property items exist and all of our work is down the drain.

I shudder to think of the wailing and gnashing of teeth there will be should the expansion arrive.
02/04/2013 09:08 PMPosted by Slabocans
I want to loot a drill so I can put a socket in weapons.

Don't get your hopes up.

He didn't tell you the table is in a dusty old basement somewhere.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]