Diablo® III

Dear Blizz, monks r still screwed...

First of all thank you for buffing active skills of monks...
The active offense skill buffs are useless since spirit generation is not good... You have stated before that passive skills of monks needs a lot of rework... When could that be? I still cant see myself changing builds... All in all after playing PTR 1.07 monk still only have 1 to 2 builds...
Reply Quote
Might I invite you to offer a few class changes that you would be comfortable with? I also suggest posting something critical then constructive.. Other wise it seems as if youre complaning about something that can be fixed by switching to a different class.
Reply Quote
How is not good?

What is good?

NO ONE who says 'spirit gen is not good' can answer that. Because it *is* good (aaand you people have no idea on how that stuff really works on the math/mechanics side of things).
Edited by Shuun#2118 on 2/1/2013 3:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 03:16 AMPosted by Shuun
you people have no idea on how that stuff really works on the math/mechanics side of things

Would you be kind enough to explan it to the rest of the class? I would love to know if Im on the right track or if I should be doing more research.

Thank you in advance.
Reply Quote
How is not good?

What is good?

NO ONE who says 'spirit gen is not good' can answer that. Because it *is* good (aaand you people have no idea on how that stuff really works on the math/mechanics side of things).

This is coming from a player who not even completed inferno with his monk and less than 10k elite kills. If you have the idea on how this class work please explain rather stating things you can't back up.

What is good? Fist of Thunder - Thunderclap. That's the only skill and skill rune worth using in Inferno (well probably Quickening). FoT and other spirit generators are not viable for your skills even though it is buffed greatly. (Though I am not saying I didn't appreciate it.)

The monk community since before have already posted great suggestions regarding these issues. Some of these I can think of right now is making the teleport in FoT available in all runes and Way of the Hundred Fists third strike dash be available in all runes.
Edited by TheDarkNut#6115 on 2/1/2013 3:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
Shunn has no idea. Spirit regen is just bad and it was just a kick in the face when they gave us a .33 spirit regen on our set.
Reply Quote
I'ts not that the skills cost too much, or that they do so little damage for their costs (they do, but still).

It's that the skills themselves just suck. Sweeping Wind works and is popular because you set it up and then forget about it (until it falls off and then you reset it, but that's another issue). Are you going to stop and cast Wave of Light, when in that time you could have done more damage just attacking? No. Are you going to use an ally that can automatically rez itself, even though it's the cheapest costing skill we have, and it's useless anyway? Hell no.

So, ok, yeah, spirit cost is part of it. But the skills themselves feel very uninspired, do not work well together while keeping a respectable amount of damage going, and in no way have as much synergy as other classes.
Reply Quote
dude my barb does 275k dps fully buffed and my DH does 220dps fully buffed and I've seen monks destroy more that any class. I don't see how monks are screwed when they can possibly be the most powerful class.
Reply Quote
We're not simply screwed by blizzard, we're ignored.
This thread has been up since the ptr release:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592202447?page=1
and many other threads like yours, they just don't care.
They have obviously seen some threads, but their answer is silence.
Reply Quote
WD needs some better resource regeneration as well...
Reply Quote

Monks have access to plenty of spirit regeneration if they are willing to experiment with their builds.

Passives:
Chant of Resonance
Exalted Soul

Powers:
Fist of Thunder - Quickening (Clear choice for spirit massive spirit generation)
Deadly Reach - Strike from Beyond
Breath of Heaven - Infused with Light
Crippling Wave - Rising Tide
Way of the Hundred Fists - Spirited Salvo
Sweeping Wind - Inner Storm
Mantra of Retribution - Against All Odds
Mantra of Healing - Circular Breathing

The above list are pure spirit regenerating abilities.
That doesn't even include all the attack powers that have reduced spirit cost runes.
It also doesn't include the fact that you can gear for significant spirit regeneration as well.

To assume Monks need even more help with spirit regeneration is completely absurd.
Edited by babinro#1836 on 2/1/2013 5:45 AM PST
Reply Quote

Monks have access to plenty of spirit regeneration if they are willing to experiment with their builds.

Passives:
Chant of Resonance
Exalted Soul

Powers:
Fist of Thunder - Quickening (Clear choice for spirit massive spirit generation)

That doesn't even include all the attack powers that have reduced spirit cost runes.
It also doesn't include the fact that you can gear for significant spirit regeneration as well.

To assume Monks need even more help with spirit regeneration is completely absurd.

You must be delusional when typing up this crap.

Those passives and skills are only useful for low mp. Unless you are so decked out that you sit at 5-600 base AR and 250k+ dps.
Nice monk u got there, 85k dps. You do know the inner workings of the monk.
Edited by joshi#2277 on 2/1/2013 6:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 05:44 AMPosted by babinro
Any of those methods have drawbacks.

passives - we should use 2 passives and an active (to trigger CoR) to have 3 spirit/sec
FoT is used mainly for the mobility, not because of the damage.
SW - anything other than cyclone doesn't scale with crits
MoR - has a chance to restore spirit, so it's unreliable and works only when you're hit. saying it's crap is being optimistics.
MoH - this has a good spirit regen, but then we're giving up 48% damage.

All in all, to have good spirit regen on a monk we need to either give up damage and resistances from skills or spend billions to buy gear good enough not to cripple our damage/resists and at the same time give us spirit regen.

So yes, there's an issue with resource regen on monks.
Reply Quote

Passives:
Chant of Resonance
Exalted Soul

Powers:

If you want to make a spec that does no damage, sure. If you want a good spirit regen, you have to spend TONS of money for a Tempest Rush spec.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 06:10 AMPosted by Deus
All in all, to have good spirit regen on a monk we need to either give up damage and resistances from skills or spend billions to buy gear good enough not to cripple our damage/resists and at the same time give us spirit regen.

We probably will have to sacrifice defense or even passive DPS buffs to utilize the strong DPS attacks.
This thread is about build alternatives (or so I understood it).
The changes being proposed open the door for more viable builds.
I don't think the intention was to make TR and Fist of Thunder monks obsolete.

02/01/2013 06:18 AMPosted by Kupo
If you want to make a spec that does no damage, sure. If you want a good spirit regen, you have to spend TONS of money for a Tempest Rush spec.

Yet people consider TR spec a viable build despite it's cost.
Same goes for a handful of other builds out there.
This isn't about gear cost as much as it's about build diversity.

I still believe we're jumping the gun when claims like 'monks r still screwed' are being made prior to the patch going live. People will experiment with builds and maybe something will come to the surface.

02/01/2013 05:55 AMPosted by joshi
Nice monk u got there, 85k dps. You do know the inner workings of the monk.

It's sad that you imply DPS is the measure by which you can take someone's opinion seriously.
I've devoted hundreds of hours to my monk. I even beat the game with them initially using only self-found gear. I know enough about the class to express an informed opinion about them.
Edited by babinro#1836 on 2/1/2013 7:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
After 1.0.7 monk will be rather formidable, in my opinion. I have 6 or 700 hours in my monk and he makes 190ishK dmg. While I cannot farm as fast on my monk and I can on my barb in MP8+, I can suddenly efficiently farm MP8 in PTR with my monk. This patch is good for monk.
As far as dueling, my monk holds his own vs characters that I thought would own 'him' before.
Reply Quote
Well, the thing is, blizz promised from their previous past post that they will rework a lot of passive skills... I hope they're tru to their word..
Reply Quote
I have a 190K UNBUFFED dps monk and spirit regen will definitely be a problem for higher MP levels.

My current specs are for my TR build where I use gear that emphasizes spirit regen; plus I use Chant of Resonance, Exalted Soul and a Templar. I sacrifice some dps and a lot of defense for that build but it is irrelevant on MP0-2.

However, for ubers which I do on MP9 or MP10, I swap out my spirit regen gear and change my passives to defensive ones. On MP9 or MP10, spirit regen is terrible. At the same time, lack of spirit regen is not a problem under the current state just because 90%+ of monk skills are useless and the boiler plate build I use of FoT, Blaze, Overawe, etc. requires little spirit other than spamming Overawe.

Once 1.07 goes live and more quality skills are available, where are monks supposed to gain spirit on MP9 or MP10? The answer is they cannot. Unlike other classes, there are no synergies that allow for spirit regen. It's possible to use only one of Chant of Resonance or Exalted Soul, but that remains a pitiful and inadequate alternative.

Please no more replies from 60K dps monks on paragon 8 who claim to have all the answers.
Edited by FlyinthePie#1218 on 2/1/2013 9:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
If you're talking about PvE then Monks should have seriously no problems gaining spirit.

Either use the right passives, or get attack speed. If you got decent attack speed using FoT, you should be generating spirit just fine. Of course, the set bonus of 0.33 is an absolute joke.

PvP on the other hand you are forced to either spend HEAPS of cash of spirit regen gear + using at least one passive. Otherwise you will struggle to hold a sufficient amount of spirit compared to spending it. This however is probably Blizzard's way of forcing different setups which I have no problem with actually.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]