Diablo® III

Activision Blizzard 4Q Results: D3 12m sold WW

I have played D2 a little bit, not enough to get a full grasp of how awesome most people claim it is, but enough for me to say that I like it more than D3. I'm by no means a huge Diablo fan, but I did find D2 fun enough to give D3 a try. Also, Blizz's Annual Pass for WoW was another reason I thought to give it a try.

That being said, I wonder if part of their 12M sold copies included the X amount of D3 players from the Annual Pass?

Anyways, I really don't find D3 nearly as fun as I found D2 to be fun and still is. Sure, D3 has better graphics, but I think that's about it really. This isn't coming from a big fan of the Diablo franchise, but rather as just a fan of gaming and I don't find D3 worth it and I'm probably not going to buy the expansion unless I hear and see amazing reviews on it, which I doubt will happen.
Reply Quote
#1 PC game of 2012, 12 million copies sold worldwide.

Pretty good for a dying game. See you all at the expac!

Let's be honest, Diablo 3 the game did not sell well, Diablo 3 the hype sold very well (thanks Diablo 2 and its developers).
Reply Quote
And yet no major awards...anywhere.

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/204649-dice-awards-journey-wins-big-includes-goty

It may have sold, but no one thinks it is a good game.
Reply Quote
[quote]#1 PC game of 2012, 12 million copies sold worldwide.

I agree 100%. That is good for a dying game, a dying game, a dying game. Yup, you are correct...a dying game.
Reply Quote
Every single one of those sales is because of Diablo 2 and past Blizzard success, they could have released Pong and called in D3 and gotten those sales.

LOL~~ This game is a fail to me, ..REALLY bad... I can't even explain why I look at these forums, maybe I'm just so upset I was cheated not for the 60 bucs, calling it diablo 3..Wow really Diablo 3???? no way, just no way...
Edited by Mordinn#1573 on 2/8/2013 4:57 PM PST
Reply Quote

ignorance is bliss.

People bought diablo 3 out of blind faith because diablo 2 was good

Diablo 3 would not be anywhere near 12 million if it was marketed as a different title

I really don't get how there are still SO MANY lurking haters. Why do you guys troll the forums? Do you still play? Are you holding out for changes? I really don't get it...

I do understand being disappointed with the game, It certainly did not meet my expectations, but I definatly got my monies worth in playtime. The hate on this game is so overblown it's ridiculous.
Reply Quote

ignorance is bliss.

Diablo 3 would not be anywhere near 12 million if it was marketed as a different title

I really don't get how there are still SO MANY lurking haters. Why do you guys troll the forums? Do you still play? Are you holding out for changes? I really don't get it...

I do understand being disappointed with the game, It certainly did not meet my expectations, but I definatly got my monies worth in playtime. The hate on this game is so overblown it's ridiculous.

Because its the fact, In Indonesia, all of my friends blindly goes to store at May, bought this game, and then played it for about a month, and they leave permanently...
They tried to love it, but its just bad...
Reply Quote
Only game I've purchased in years. =) Well worth the money.
Reply Quote

Last played Feb 8, see you in the expac!

I wouldn't call logging in to chat with a friend playing.
And I ain't paying a dime for the expac for AH tycoon 3.

I'm sure you will be "logging in to chat with a friend" when the expac hits too rofl
Reply Quote
this is no joke, ATVI shares went up 11% today.
Reply Quote

Trust me I'm no fanboi of this game.

*Looks at profile* Okay, bud.. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

So you got me all figured out by my profile you're amazing.
Reply Quote
D3 only sold because of the D2 name.

D3 is only a D game in name as far as I'm concerned.
Reply Quote
It could be better though it gets boring running the same old stuff for lack luster results.
Reply Quote
good job D3.

this was already pointed out by Blizzard, but what's important is that people come back.

sure, people leave. that's fine, this is not pay to play / subscription based. plus, the game is "improved" during patches so it should get better over time.

it would really boil down to out of that 12 million, how many would buy the expansion when it's out.

by then, we should be at least at 1.1.
Reply Quote

ignorance is bliss.

im not hating, im simply stating that the reason d3 sold so many copies wa sbecause people who played d2 bought it out of blind faith. its the truth
Reply Quote
Heh... Blizzard just keep the Ah in the game but when expansion comes out just offer to us as a free download and let the micro transaction do the work... there's nothing to lose blizzard.look at LOTR.. Everquest and other online gaming that is making money from micro transaction.. if the game isnt good than you wont have an uproar if the game is not up to expectation...
Reply Quote

12 million copies sold, then outright deleted when the servers get turned off and the devs shipped off to other departments (or fired).

And after everything Blizzard has done, how many people will buy the Expansion? How many would buy D4 without a single-player offline mode? Not me in either case. I'll play a demo first, or watch somebody else's video first, before I even consider picking up D4, and if there isn't an offline mode, I won't buy it, because constant connection makes it an MMO.

Past performance is no indicator of future sales, especially when past performance sucks.
Edited by Magister#1870 on 2/8/2013 9:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Troll Druid
12 million copies sold due to good marketing, a good reputation and the success of the previous game. In sales, its a great success. But i doubt the amount of players still playing is looking too awesome.

Most of all this launch reminded me of SW:TOR and we all know how that turned out. The defenders screaming out and protecting the game, player numbers were not dwindling, game was doing great. And support? wtf is that?
Yus.

never liked diablo 2 and i think this game is much better than d2 /shrugs
Reply Quote
I bet if they didint water down this ver of Diablo with a little of this a little of that. 11 Million people might still play.The Diablo team made most of the game while sitting on the WoW dev Teams floor. Taking whatever scraps that got thrown to them like dogs! Meaning they just took everything from games already made to put together a frankinstein, then call it Diablo 3. They might get half now if even that, with anything called Diablo at this point. The true Diablo gamers will never forget what has been done to this fun and timeless game name! Talk about living on your fathers name alone! This ver of Diablo is short bus city folks. This Frankinstein slobbers!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]