Diablo® III

Activision Blizzard 4Q Results: D3 12m sold WW

12m sold but how many of them are still active players ? That´s something u wont hear from Blizzard, period.
Reply Quote
12 million sold off the reputation of D1 and D2...

Let's just be amusing and say 1 million people still play... That means 11 million people left the game in the dirt.

Truth is there's probably only 50k players in North America, 50k Euro, 100-200k Asia. If this game had been done correctly it could have easily been Blizzard's next WOW. Alas even using WOW as an example these days doesn't hold much weight. One thing Blizz HAS been successful at is running their games into the ground and losing loyal customers.
Reply Quote

Do you have hard facts to back this up or is it based upon your friends list?

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=buy%20diablo%2C%20buy%20skyrim%2C%20buy%20black%20ops&date=10%2F2011%2017m&cmpt=q

(Skyrim's there so you can see what a major release looks like when it goes well. Black ops is there so that you can see why the atvi financials look ok.)

So what is the original player base number? How does that chart show that 60% quit?
Reply Quote
View profile
I want to know the result if the game call " Biablo" than " Diablo"
Edited by MADTHUNDER2#3452 on 2/7/2013 5:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
they don't want to show how many legit players are left because it will be so detrimental the remaining 50 people are going to quit.

let them have their fun guys.
Reply Quote
Tried to sell 3 stacks of gold on the RMAH at minimum rate -- every single one resulted in incomplete sale, only 50-90% sold each

Yup, game's clearly not dying -- that's why there's so much AH/RMAH traffic!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter

Are you truly comparing Skyrim internet searches to Diablo 3's? A traditional, sandboxy RPG with a ton of side quests and rep grinds (and no game manual included in the boxed copy) to a four act hack and slash?

Dude, that's just plain silly.

If you'd care to make a counter case, I'd be pleased to look at it. Trying to overcome my case by calling it "silly," however, is silly.

I thought I had made a "counter case" in my first paragraph. But if need be, I'll expand on that:

Skyrim is a sandbox-like RPG. That means that while there's a main quest line, there are tons of other things you can do, such as:

1. A myriad of side quests.

2. Grind faction rep.

3. Craft, which includes gathering materials such as ore and herbs.

4. Hunt dragons.

Among other things.

Even Skyrim's vendoring is complex: there are vendors who won't take certain items so you have to find the ones that who'd what you have.

You can also choose to become a vampire or werewolf, thereby having to learn another subset rules and conditions.

And, of course, outside of the game itself there are the mods and other DLC.

This is versus Diablo 3's four-act dungeon crawler with:

1. No side quests. (Yes, there are events and side dungeons, but those not only aren't the same, but they take little to no time to complete.)

2. No rep grinds.

3. Much simpler crafting.

4. No becoming vampires, werewolves, or hunting dragons.

Even though I bought the game manual, I damn near lived on the internet when I was playing Skyrim. I can imagine what it's like for someone who doesn't have a manual.

With Diablo 3, all I needed was either in game or on this site. I didn't even visit Diablo wiki as it wasn't necessary.

Lastly, the reason why I said it was silly was because you're comparing two different types of games, despite the fact that they inherently generate totally different kinds of internet trafffic.

Might as well compare D3 to Plants vs. Zombies. It has just as much in common with that as it does with Skyrim.

Edit: I just realized--that graph you linked shows people googling how to BUY Skyrim versus Diablo 3 versus Black OPs. It has nothing to do with internet traffic related to playing the game. And I would imagine that the amount of Skyrim traffic is higher because folks know where to go to purchase Diablo 3.
Edited by Bird#1227 on 2/7/2013 5:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
Attribute those 12m copies in sales to the D2 team, which paved the road to anticipation with a great classic. I like D3 even with all it's flaws, but it's current quality just isn't up to the hype built around it pre-release. Seeing how other similar games are so much more complete and complex is kinda discouraging, specially considering the budget Blizzard has.

- D3 is painfully short. Repeating the same thing 4 times isn't extending the experience at all, it's just redundant. The game should have had at least 20 hours of playthrough, even if they decided to still include the 4 difficulty levels.

- Itemization is a disaster. What happened to elemental damage? Resistances in monsters? Exceptional procs? Runewords? Why the heck is our damage so heavily dependent on our weapon alone? Why is everything under level 60 complete and utter trash, and even worse, why is 99% of the stuff we find still trash? Why are class specific items rolling incoherent stats all the time? Why is the overall loot quality so poor and obscenely randomized?

- There's still no pvp, even though it was announced, scrapped, and replaced by something that should have been there from day 1 (duels). Not a complete dealbreaker if you're not much into duels, but there's a lot of people anticipating this since launch. Honestly i can't even believe the game was released without it in the first place.

- Unexisting rpg elements. At least you can pick your character's name, but that's about as far as character customization goes in this game. The fact gear isn't customizable either doesn't help here (4 gem options reduced to mainstat+vit and an emerald for your weapon barely counts as customization).

- For a game that's supposed to be based on randomness, all the maps/monsters are rather static. Always the same maps, facing the same monsters. This only contributes to make the game even more repetitive. The fact act3 runs are the only efficient way to run makes things even worse.

- Finally, the fact Blizzard has allowed it's greed to get the best of them, by executing rather unethical profiteering through the RMAH is extremely disappointing. I understand they need the game to be profitable, but preying on people's frustration after following a rigged carrot on a stick to get a quick buck off them is hardly the best way to do so. If you stop focusing on easy profits, and funnel all that talent and energy your employees have into actually developing the best Diablo ever, profit will come on it's own. A lot of us want to love this franchise as we did with the previous 2 games. Make us love it.

These, among other aspects is why it still baffles me to read those posts from JW saying D3 was "the best diablo game they could make" at release. I mean, wtf. It's a game from a corporate giant of the industry, and they can barely do better than it's indie competitors? That's even debatable, considering how many people enjoy games like TL2 and PoE, both of them containing elements vastly superior to D3. Seriously, Blizzard, wtf? Sure, they sold 12m copies, but i'm damn sure that's not the D3 team's achievement at all. Everyone knows that. If they do that well for the expansion (which i honestly doubt), we will know for sure how accurate that number is in reality.
Reply Quote
also the most voted as disappointment of the year!

d3 only sold that much becouse d2 was sooo good, and it sold itself.

IF they make a expansion of d4, wont sell that much, not after that shameful display of d3

ARENT YOU THANKFUL!?!!?
Reply Quote

IF they make a expansion of d4, wont sell that much, not after that shameful display of d3

ARENT YOU THANKFUL!?!!?

given all the bad hype on diablo3, anything after the first MONTH of sales cannot be considered due to the reputation of d2.

and if you want to say bots are buying accounts, then obviously someone must be feeding bots money (ie: there are actual players who spend on gold)
Reply Quote
i believe they are LYING to keep their reputation UP
Reply Quote
Huh. I thought one of the major features of Diablo 3 being online-only was that botting wouldn't be possible.
Reply Quote

Edit: I just realized--that graph you linked shows people googling how to BUY Skyrim versus Diablo 3 versus Black OPs. It has nothing to do with internet traffic related to playing the game. And I would imagine that the amount of Skyrim traffic is higher because folks know where to go to purchase Diablo 3.

I don't think there's ever been an online only game that kept that many people playing that long. Can you prove that there has been, or am I to believe that Diablo III is breaking new ground there? If the latter, please demonstrate it's existence.

The search that I showed you is sufficient to reveal to you the fact that Diablo is not doing very well in the eyes of it's customers. The intent of the search is patently obvious, but the source of the searchers is somewhat less so. They come from a happy player base evangelizing the game to their friends, filling the internet with warm fuzzies. Happened that way for Skyrim, didn't go so well for D3.

Given that Diablo III would have to be the second coming of pwnage in order to have 40% of it's players still hanging around, and given that it did pretty badly with the people who bought it, I think the ball's squarely in your court now. Can you prove that 40% of the people who bought D3 are still playing it?

(I spent too much time on Google when I was playing Skyrim too, btw. Still loved it.)
Reply Quote
View profile
[
given all the bad hype on diablo3, anything after the first MONTH of sales cannot be considered due to the reputation of d2.

and if you want to say bots are buying accounts, then obviously someone must be feeding bots money (ie: there are actual players who spend on gold)

Too many reasons! Tons of new player just give it a try in the great name of " D2" . They dont need to buy any copy in the first month. D3 is a "new game" to them. They come to D3 , getting bored and leave for another new game. d3 is just a "new game" to them.

They are not royal player of D3.
Edited by MADTHUNDER2#3452 on 2/7/2013 6:59 PM PST
Reply Quote

ARENT YOU THANKFUL!?!!?

lol. game has dwindled to a crawl. anyone playing the AH knows this, AH traffic does not lie. AH traffic correlates with player activity, based on the strong premise that AH use correlates proportionately to number of players

where's your actual evidence for there being lots of players still playing, apart from the utterly subjective and personal opinion: "well obviously after a month it's all due to D3 being good, not D2"? Mine is simple: On the AH, nothing new hits the market. Months ago, new items flooded it constantly. Now it's the same bis being flipped by the same handful. Moreover, selling gold via RMAH @ min rate used to mean instant sell, or near-insta. Certainly meant all your gld would sell. Guess what happens now? You sell a stack of gold, there's a good chance it won't entirely sell; i.e. you will get paid for what sold, and anywhere from 5-50% might be returned to you, unsold, even tho it was posted @ min rate. This wasn't the case when there were more players.

I won't be surprised if that trend continues. Sooner or later one won't be able to sell one's gold on the RMAH, period. Let alone have a hard time doing it, as is the case NOW.
Edited by Alesso#1854 on 2/7/2013 7:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
Tons of things are financially successful and still terrible.

Movies, music, video games.

Sales does not equal quality.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter

I don't think there's ever been an online only game that kept that many people playing that long. Can you prove that there has been, or am I to believe that Diablo III is breaking new ground there? If the latter, please demonstrate it's existence.

The search that I showed you is sufficient to reveal to you the fact that Diablo is not doing very well in the eyes of it's customers. The intent of the search is patently obvious, but the source of the searchers is somewhat less so. They come from a happy player base evangelizing the game to their friends, filling the internet with warm fuzzies. Happened that way for Skyrim, didn't go so well for D3.

Given that Diablo III would have to be the second coming of pwnage in order to have 40% of it's players still hanging around, and given that it did pretty badly with the people who bought it, I think the ball's squarely in your court now. Can you prove that 40% of the people who bought D3 are still playing it?

(I spent too much time on Google when I was playing Skyrim too, btw. Still loved it.)

Uh, the fact that Diablo 3 has sold 12 million copies isn't proof enough of the "warm fuzzies?"

And you can't claim that it's all due to D2's success, given that several million copies still sold after all the bad reviews hit. In fact, I'd noticed that Diablo 3 was number 1 in its genre on Amazon for several days over the last couple of weeks. It's number 6 now, so even now it's selling well.

By the way, I can no more prove how many are still playing D3 than you can. Neither one of us has access to that information. All you can do is offer a conjecture (a fancy word for guess), and the data you're using as a basis for your guess is faulty in the extreme.
Reply Quote
#1 PC game of 2012, 12 million copies sold worldwide.

Pretty good for a dying game. See you all at the expac!
Reply Quote
Every single one of those sales is because of Diablo 2 and past Blizzard success, they could have released Pong and called in D3 and gotten those sales.

You can only coast on past glory so long. Reputations are difficult to build and easy to destroy.

D3 = huge black eye for Blizzard's reputation

Not a financial failure, but a failure in every other sense.

02/07/2013 03:43 PMPosted by OldSk00ler
Oh and this 12 million selling game won 0 awards in 2012, its didn't even make the shortlist for gamespot, thats what the playerbase thinks!

02/07/2013 04:30 PMPosted by Dragan
D3 most probably broke the all-time record in ratio of players that bought the games vs. players that still play after 6 months.

02/07/2013 04:40 PMPosted by Darkhosis
One thing Blizz HAS been successful at is running their games into the ground and losing loyal customers.

Sales does not equal quality.
Edited by VinnyI82#1302 on 2/7/2013 7:29 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]