Diablo® III

Activision Blizzard 4Q Results: D3 12m sold WW

02/08/2013 01:04 AMPosted by Monsta
12 million in all of 2012? They sold 10 million in 4 months, 3.5 million in the first 24 hours and 6.3 million in the first week, this doesn't look good because that's a sharp decline.

It doesn't look good to you because you are ignorant. The vast majority of video games sales are front loaded with a steep decline after the first month. D3 has managed to sell 12m copies, with 2m sold many months after launch. That is an incredible accomplishment. No bad game can sell 12m. That is impossible in this day and age.

http://www.destructoid.com/mass-effect-3-makes-over-200-million-in-sales-227119.phtml

massively rated as one of the worst mass effect games.

resident evil 6 also one of the biggest disappointments in the RE series, and yet still sold 4.5m copies.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/weakened-sales-of-resident-evil-6-forces-capcom-to-lower-forecasts/0108459
Reply Quote
So, let me check this - and correct me if I'm wrong:
May 15, 2012:
Diablo III was the fastest selling game of all, selling 3.5 Million copies in twenty four hours. That a hell of an achievement, frankly.
Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/05/23/diablo-3-is-fastest-selling-pc-game-of-all-time/

November 8, 2012:
Diablo III sells 10 million copies total. Also a hell of an achievement.
Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/377434/diablo-3-tops-10-million-sales/

February 8, 2013:
Diablo III sells 12 million copies total. Quite a milestone, really.
Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/390025/diablo-iii-passes-12-million-sales-worldwide/

So, excluding day one sales, Diablo III sold 7 million additional copies in 6 months, and then 2 million in 3 months. During this time, the game became available in twice as many regions as at launch, keeping sales momentum.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_III

I'm curious - according to the sources available, Asia is Diablo III's single biggest market by far. How many botters and profiteers pushed those numbers, as the game has had one of the most intense backlashes on the internet since Firefly was cancelled?

all those can be explained with one word:

diablo.

the name on a product does a lot for sales.
Reply Quote

and these 11 million players are only the players that play over battle.net, not counting the players who play offline.

so the actual number is probably a lot higher then 11 million and even higher then 12.
all these people, all of which are hardcore diablo fans wanted the new game, so that accounts for your sales.

even if only those 11 million player bought a copy, which leaves 1 million copies unaccounted for, a lot of hackers, botters etc knew that this game would drop a virtual bombshell, and stocked up on multiple copies, and off course the goldselling websites who need account too distribute the gold ingame.

lol do you even bother to read your own source that you quoted?

and 11 million users still play Diablo II and StarCraft over Battle.net.

Anyone with half a brain knows that starcraft is way more popular on bnet than diablo 2.
Reply Quote
hate too burst your bubble, but diablo 3 was actually voted as one of the most disappointing games of 2012.

source:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/01/03/the-most-disappointing-games-of-2012/

All big games are voted there, except for noname ones, which nobody had any expectations from them.

look, there is also Assassin's Creed 3. All my friends play Assassin's Creed 3... and they say it is awesome...

that they look only at the big games is kind of logical, nobody cares about noname ones, the big franchises like CoD, battlefield, Elder scrolls, GTA, diablo, fifa, etc. all have a reputation, so people expect things, which is normal.

and if a game fails too meet up too those expectations, the result is this.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 12:41 AMPosted by CLFX
and 12 million copies is a nice number, however, nobody know the number of licenses bought by botters.

A little searching showed that by August 2012, 10 million copies had been sold since the May release date. I don't know if that's just the numbers shipped parading as being sold (the music industry does this) or if they were copies of the game that had an actual buyer handing over real cash. If it was, an average of 3.3 million copies a month is quite impressive.

I'm more inclined to focus on the 2 million copies that have been sold in the 6 months since then. That tells me a lot more than the nice and shiny 12 million figure that is being showboated.

As CLFX also mentioned, we don't know the number of licenses operated by botters and the number of already banned licenses.
Reply Quote

diablo.

How well did Duke Nukem Forever do in sales? How about Doom 3?

Duke Nukem and Doom were bigger than Diablo.
Reply Quote

and these 11 million players are only the players that play over battle.net, not counting the players who play offline.

so the actual number is probably a lot higher then 11 million and even higher then 12.
all these people, all of which are hardcore diablo fans wanted the new game, so that accounts for your sales.

even if only those 11 million player bought a copy, which leaves 1 million copies unaccounted for, a lot of hackers, botters etc knew that this game would drop a virtual bombshell, and stocked up on multiple copies, and off course the goldselling websites who need account too distribute the gold ingame.

lol do you even bother to read your own source that you quoted?

and 11 million users still play Diablo II and StarCraft over Battle.net.

Anyone with half a brain knows that starcraft is way more popular on bnet than diablo 2.

1. actually yes i did. and these number say that 11m players still play both diablo and starcraft, but too what extend isn't said. so it could be that those people switch games, ever thought of that.
sure, my statement, that all the players would switch too diablo 2 every once in a while is a little overdone, but fact of the matter is that as recently as 2010, diablo battlechest was one of the top 10 selling pc games. and that in 2008 the same battlechest was the top selling pc game.

2. that's really not the point of this discussing.
Reply Quote

I wonder how many sold after the first month

If I remember correctly, they sold 7 million at launch, so probably 4-5 million more in the following months.

That's impressive considering how slammed D3 has been by reviews.

02/07/2013 03:31 PMPosted by Ison88
Please explain why 60% of the original player base has quit then

Do you have hard facts to back this up or is it based upon your friends list?

Rofl do really need to provide proof for something that is so blatantly obvious....just look at the difference between the open games now and during release
Reply Quote

diablo.

How well did Duke Nukem Forever do in sales? How about Doom 3?

Duke Nukem and Doom were bigger than Diablo.

duke nukem had around 375000 physical copies sold (not counting digital sales.

doom 3 sold over 3.5 million copies.

however, another little detail is that Diablo 2 has won several awards, including one for game of the decade.

and the name doesn't work for all product my friend, but in case of diablo it did.
Reply Quote
look at this topic (on these forums) and count the number of times that people state :

"diablo 2 was the main reason that i bought D3".

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7864756409
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Any intellectually honest person knows that D3 only sold even 1 copy because of D2.

I see a lot of figures. But do they account for how many copies are bot & multi boxing accounts?
How many bot accounts were banned, then repurchased to continue their scheme?

This is a great point. Currently the game is at a place where, if anyone were to buy an item worth over $60 on RMAH or it's GAH equivalent, they are not spending the wisest. The best upgrade for anyone's character at $60 is a 2nd copy of the game - an item which doubles your DPS and legendary drops.

The current, primary, and mandatory character progression goal is to stack Multibox Valor up to 4 to unlock you character's full potential. Which of course inflates sales.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 01:28 AMPosted by CLFX
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7864756409

I don't see there 11M posts.

Anyway, even if the D2 was the main reason for most of the players to buy D3, still doesn't say that Diablo 3 was the a bad game. Even Forbes from where you clearly take your quotes, says that these games are not worst, and the author actually liked play diablo 3.

Forbes has there, like we agreed only the biggest games. and half of them are presented like big disapponting games.

In diablo 2, if you were not logging in for some time, like 3 months, your char was deleted, so it makes sense for players just to log in for once in a while, and thus the statistics would claim all those players still active.

Anyway, i see you are compelled to demonstrate here that Diablo 3 is a very bad game, which from my perspective, since I do have a brain to think by myself and not by forbes, I have good impression by this game. 500 hours, for me that has to be record for less than an year. 12M copies, still cannot be sold JUST because of the name Diablo, since more than half were sold after the release, and after the reviews and after the first youtube videos and first impressions.
Reply Quote
Cool, it sold a lot of copies. Doesn't make it a good game.

In the same way that Somebody I Used To Know, Call Me Maybe, Starships and Gangnam Style weren't the best songs released in 2012, just because they sold the most singles.
Reply Quote
Cool, it sold a lot of copies. Doesn't make it a good game.

In the same way that Somebody I Used To Know, Call Me Maybe, Starships and Gangnam Style weren't the best songs released in 2012, just because they sold the most singles

Very true. But if you looked at those youtube videos for 500 times, is it safe to assume that you liked it?
Reply Quote
People over estimate the influence that D2 had on D3 sales.

I bought the game 4 months after the release, after seeing other people play it ,even though i saw the negative reviews. and i'm glad i did, its was the most fun i had with an hack and slash game.

Also 5 of my friends got it, after i recommended it to them, which was also 4 months after the release. 3 of those 5 friends actually never played and single rpg or arpg game before, and D3 was their first experience with it. Interestingly though 4 of my friends only finished the game on normal, only finishing the story and then trying some of the other classes, but never touching the other difficulties. Except for one ( 1 who struggled with the gearing and stats, rpg just aren't his thing), they were all satisfied and including me we all plan to buy the expansion.

Yeah D3 really has many flaws, and even though i quit it a month ago at PL97 with 50k elite kills,since i just couldn't force myself to do any more act3 alk runs to get the last 3 levels, D3 was the longest i played an arpg game, and probably the most fun. I played almost every arpg after d2 (TQ , Torchlight and DS series) and D3 was the first one that i played for longer than a month.
And i would still play it today if i didn't reach the upgrade wall, and didn't exhaust almost everything there is to do in it.

Now i'am just lurking these forums, hoping they announce a reset or a ladder for a fresh start or a new exp.
Reply Quote
Actually i am more inclined to think WoW had more to do with diablos 3's success then diablo 2. The Diablo name was mostly forgotten by all but the most dedicated of players where as Wow had more then 30 million copies sold and made the company and gave it its rep and the millions to put into the advertising. They likely been advertising D3 on it on WoWs log in screen for ages.

They got what they wanted, unprecedented sales from a mediocre game. But in turn they hurt the reputation of the company. Its a fool me once kind of thing and blizzards not the only game company playing at it, they are just the ones that got the biggest response

Problem is its starting to effect their other games. Less then 3 months after a major expansion they have lost half a million subscriptions. I am not saying WoW is dieing, But one would expect subscriptions to rise or reactivate sharply with new content, not decline and I see that decline a trend that's only going to continue.
Edited by Jane#1803 on 2/8/2013 1:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
they will make a haft baked expansion .. 12m sales again.. profit.
Reply Quote

1. actually yes i did. and these number say that 11m players still play both diablo and starcraft, but too what extend isn't said. so it could be that those people switch games, ever thought of that.
sure, my statement, that all the players would switch too diablo 2 every once in a while is a little overdone, but fact of the matter is that as recently as 2010, diablo battlechest was one of the top 10 selling pc games. and that in 2008 the same battlechest was the top selling pc game.

Battlechest came out in 2001. The only reason that it got popular in 2008 is because that's when blizzard announced D3.
Reply Quote
People over estimate the influence that D2 had on D3 sales.

I bought the game 4 months after the release, after seeing other people play it ,even though i saw the negative reviews. and i'm glad i did, its was the most fun i had with an hack and slash game.

Also 5 of my friends got it, after i recommended it to them, which was also 4 months after the release. 3 of those 5 friends actually never played and single rpg or arpg game before, and D3 was their first experience with it. Interestingly though 4 of my friends only finished the game on normal, only finishing the story and then trying some of the other classes, but never touching the other difficulties. Except for one ( 1 who struggled with the gearing and stats, rpg just aren't his thing), they were all satisfied and including me we all plan to buy the expansion.

Yeah D3 really has many flaws, and even though i quit it a month ago at PL97 with 50k elite kills,since i just couldn't force myself to do any more act3 alk runs to get the last 3 levels, D3 was the longest i played an arpg game, and probably the most fun. I played almost every arpg after d2 (TQ , Torchlight and DS series) and D3 was the first one that i played for longer than a month.
And i would still play it today if i didn't reach the upgrade wall, and didn't exhaust almost everything there is to do in it.

Now i'am just lurking these forums, hoping they announce a reset or a ladder for a fresh start or a new exp.
What the hell are you on." People over estimate the influence that D2 had on D3".Newsflash,Diablo 2 was the defining reason Diablo 3 sold so well.
Edited by Bluddflagg#6648 on 2/8/2013 2:01 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]