Diablo® III

Activision Blizzard 4Q Results: D3 12m sold WW

People over estimate the influence that D2 had on D3 sales.

I bought the game 4 months after the release, after seeing other people play it ,even though i saw the negative reviews. and i'm glad i did, its was the most fun i had with an hack and slash game.

Also 5 of my friends got it, after i recommended it to them, which was also 4 months after the release. 3 of those 5 friends actually never played and single rpg or arpg game before, and D3 was their first experience with it. Interestingly though 4 of my friends only finished the game on normal, only finishing the story and then trying some of the other classes, but never touching the other difficulties. Except for one ( 1 who struggled with the gearing and stats, rpg just aren't his thing), they were all satisfied and including me we all plan to buy the expansion.

Yeah D3 really has many flaws, and even though i quit it a month ago at PL97 with 50k elite kills,since i just couldn't force myself to do any more act3 alk runs to get the last 3 levels, D3 was the longest i played an arpg game, and probably the most fun. I played almost every arpg after d2 (TQ , Torchlight and DS series) and D3 was the first one that i played for longer than a month.
And i would still play it today if i didn't reach the upgrade wall, and didn't exhaust almost everything there is to do in it.

Now i'am just lurking these forums, hoping they announce a reset or a ladder for a fresh start or a new exp.
What the hell are you on." People over estimate the influence that D2 had on D3".Newsflash,Diablo 2 was the defining reason Diablo 3 sold so well.

Yes it was part of the reason, but not the only reason as some would like to portrait. i just gave you my example from my friends who bought D3, only 1 of them played D2 before. And from the 47 people that i added to my friends list in D3, only about 5 of them played D2 before, and almost nobody knew what a shako is.
Reply Quote

1. actually yes i did. and these number say that 11m players still play both diablo and starcraft, but too what extend isn't said. so it could be that those people switch games, ever thought of that.
sure, my statement, that all the players would switch too diablo 2 every once in a while is a little overdone, but fact of the matter is that as recently as 2010, diablo battlechest was one of the top 10 selling pc games. and that in 2008 the same battlechest was the top selling pc game.

Battlechest came out in 2001. The only reason that it got popular in 2008 is because that's when blizzard announced D3.

stated from an earlier post i did:

"in 2008 (just after d3 was announced) the diablo battlechest was the top selling pc game.
Reply Quote
So the reason people bought Battlechest in 2008 was because of D3. Haha... thanks for pointing that out.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
02/08/2013 01:42 AMPosted by Dassem
Anyway, i see you are compelled to demonstrate here that Diablo 3 is a very bad game, which from my perspective, since I do have a brain to think by myself and not by forbes, I have good impression by this game. 500 hours, for me that has to be record for less than an year. 12M copies, still cannot be sold JUST because of the name Diablo, since more than half were sold after the release, and after the reviews and after the first youtube videos and first impressions.

I'm not sure if you've heard a few months back about how they found that tribe of humans in a tiny island off the coast of Madagascar. They had never once been in contact with the rest of civilization, their own culture completely separate from the rest of the world.

Anyway, we gave them Diablo 3 to get their opinions and they became very distressed:

"The itemization is terrible and insulting"
"500 hours and I only found one upgrade why am I wasting my time"
"How is there no identify all button"

The only person saying anything good was a tribesman that painted himself green and waved his arms screaming "GAME SO FUN! MAKE ME MVP!"

02/08/2013 01:55 AMPosted by Jane
They got what they wanted, unprecedented sales from a mediocre game. But in turn they hurt the reputation of the company. Its a fool me once kind of thing and blizzards not the only game company playing at it, they are just the ones that got the biggest response

Jackpot. It was a severe betrayal of their customer base that has all but destroyed Blizzard's once flawless reputation. Everyone will now take Blizzard's promises with a grain of salt, and the possibility of being mislead yet again is in the front of every cognitive person's mind. These are sad times.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 01:42 AMPosted by Dassem
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7864756409

I don't see there 11M posts.

Anyway, even if the D2 was the main reason for most of the players to buy D3, still doesn't say that Diablo 3 was the a bad game. Even Forbes from where you clearly take your quotes, says that these games are not worst, and the author actually liked play diablo 3.

Forbes has there, like we agreed only the biggest games. and half of them are presented like big disapponting games.

In diablo 2, if you were not logging in for some time, like 3 months, your char was deleted, so it makes sense for players just to log in for once in a while, and thus the statistics would claim all those players still active.

Anyway, i see you are compelled to demonstrate here that Diablo 3 is a very bad game, which from my perspective, since I do have a brain to think by myself and not by forbes, I have good impression by this game. 500 hours, for me that has to be record for less than an year. 12M copies, still cannot be sold JUST because of the name Diablo, since more than half were sold after the release, and after the reviews and after the first youtube videos and first impressions.

i love how people only see black and white...

i'm not trying too say that diablo is a bad game, i'm just being realistic in the fact that in the diablo franchise it is a disappointment, however i still have hope that the game will improve over time.

as stated a lot of times, d2 also wasn't perfect from the start.

and i'm not saying that all of the copies were sold just because of the name diablo, but it is a large influence, as is the reputation blizzard had, the succes of previous other games of a different genre, and the appeal of the game it self, the sneak previews on internet, etc etc etc.

but of course if you only see the world black and white instead of looking in the gray middle part you'll fail too see the realistic side.

never is anything black or white. everything has a good and a bad site too it, you just weigh in the effect of the bad and the good and come with a decision in the middle.

learn it, makes life a whole lot more...

pleasant...
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 02:08 AMPosted by Monsta
So the reason people bought Battlechest in 2008 was because of D3. Haha... thanks for pointing that out.

not really, as you said, the battlechest was out in 2001, that 7 years before D3 was announced, all the awards D2 won were before D3 was announced...
Reply Quote
No one is forcing anyone to play so stop whining.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 04:33 PMPosted by barit
12m sold but how many of them are still active players ? That´s something u wont hear from Blizzard, period.

100% agree. D3 thrives if, and only if, the game can retain these buyers as players. If people who bought the game drop off and never return, then the Diablo franchise dies. When people say that this game is dying, that's what they mean.

02/08/2013 02:55 AMPosted by CLFX
not really, as you said, the battlechest was out in 2001, that 7 years before D3 was announced, all the awards D2 won were before D3 was announced...

D2 Battle Chest was a top-20 seller in 2008.
Edited by Waitubold#1127 on 2/8/2013 3:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 03:11 AMPosted by Waitubold
12m sold but how many of them are still active players ? That´s something u wont hear from Blizzard, period.

100% agree. D3 thrives if, and only if, the game can retain these buyers as players. If people who bought the game drop off and never return, then the Diablo franchise dies. When people say that this game is dying, that's what they mean.

D2 Battle Chest was a top-20 seller in 2008.

i stand corrected, but fact of the matter is that its still not bad for a game that old.
Reply Quote
10 million as of September 30, 2012. Activision Blizzard announced in its most recent earnings report that Diablo 3 had sold over 10 million copies as of 30th September. (according to EuroGamer article I found through Google).

That's 2 million a week during it's first 5 months. After that, 500,000 a week.

The Hype definitely helped D3 along.

In retrospect, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (video game) sold 1 million copies in it's lifetime.
ET can be found buried in a New Mexico landfill, right next to Jimmy Hoffa's body.

Enjoy.
Reply Quote
84 Human Warrior
Cool. They'll have more than enough funds to actually improve the game. Good to know.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 01:36 PMPosted by pcjunkie
Their going to need all that money to fix the game...
Reply Quote
I bought a game, not Activision/Vivendi stocks. If I did, I would be worried with a possible aftershock caused by bad reviews and potential loss of player base. Then I would wait for the launch of heart of the swarm to sell my stocks. (Lies. I wouldn't do that, but thanks to Scribblenauts and CoD. I don't know if ATV Blizzard papers are split from ATV and Vivendi, I'm just trying hard on a point).

The finnancial data is kinda useless to me, unless the company is bankrupt and plans to sell franchises to other companies. (Really not the case here). Then, I would like to know who the buyer is.

I'll buy the XPack and D4, not because of the job of the current team, but for collection purposes. In my mind, I'm not playing Diablo games anymore, I'm collecting them.

And I wouldn't bother if the game "dies", since I play solo anyway. I would be annoyed if the servers go down and I can't play anymore. Now that I can't sell on AH easily and can't afford upgrades, I don't need the playerbase anymore, just a few true diablo fans to talk about theorycraft instead of... 4Q results?

As for death, it's kinda dead compared to other diablo games or xpack less than an year after launch. It isn't dead compared to other games. Problem is that some free games seem to be having a better performance and numbers, like mists of pandaria and SC2. I.e. If you enter twitch website, D3 is the only blizzard current working title that doesn't make frontpage. That doesn't mean it isn't on top 20.
Reply Quote
Never played D2 so that had nothing to do with why I bought it. I did know people who played d2 and I think they all like it but the reason I bought the game was I downloaded the starter edition and liked it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
02/08/2013 04:09 AMPosted by Duosion
Cool. They'll have more than enough funds to actually improve the game. Good to know.

How long have we been waiting for the latest installment of Improvements now? PVP?

Blizzard is a multi-billion dollar company that takes 1,000x the time to release patches and content that other significantly smaller companies that can only afford to eat instant noodles apply weekly.
Reply Quote
#1 PC game of 2012, 12 million copies sold worldwide.

Pretty good for a dying game. See you all at the expac!

thats because after 10 years waiting for the game everyone was expecting a amazing game not this piece of @#$%, and rushed to buy it when it was released.
worst game I ever played. I couldn't even finish the game on Inferno because I dont want to expend 1000000 hours killing the same monsters over and over again to find good items and gold.
Reply Quote
#1 PC game of 2012, 12 million copies sold worldwide.

Pretty good for a dying game. See you all at the expac!

7.5 million pre-sales. Of the 4.5 sold since how many do you think are bots? I'm going to guess at least 50% of that.
Reply Quote
Diablo 3 was a financial success, but a failure in every other category.
Reply Quote
What the hell are you on." People over estimate the influence that D2 had on D3".Newsflash,Diablo 2 was the defining reason Diablo 3 sold so well.

Yes it was part of the reason, but not the only reason as some would like to portrait. i just gave you my example from my friends who bought D3, only 1 of them played D2 before. And from the 47 people that i added to my friends list in D3, only about 5 of them played D2 before, and almost nobody knew what a shako is.

Other reasons may include content that wasn't released in the final release. Guess why, because that content was heavily influenced by D2, and actually expanded upon those concepts. Once released, a lot of fans were extremely disappointed and felt totally duped by the washed down and clearly rushed out version that was delivered in the end. Whether you like it or not, D2 was, if not the only reason, the main one to account for most of those 12m sales. If your source of information is your personal entourage (aka your friendlist), you're doing it quite wrong there. If you decide to persist on covering the sun with your little finger, though, i'm nobody to tell you not to do so, so carry on.
Reply Quote
It'll be funny seeing the expansion sell 300k copies first month.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]