Does Anybody Here Play AH Free

Lately I have wanted to try multiplayer but I play like this:
AH Free
Clearer
It seems like everyone plays like this:
AH Addiction
Runner
Treasure Goblin Player

A treasure goblin player is how I describe players who just leave a trail of items behind because they never pick anything up or just drop 2 seconds after picking something up. Does anybody play for fun or does everyone just treat the game like a business instead of a game.
Edited by LordArion#1206 on 2/1/2013 11:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
you will be a treasure goblin player as soon as you end the noob stage. don't worry, it will happen
Reply Quote
buddy i am not a noob, but i play for fun and will work for my gear over using the AH. Of course you guys see everything as garbage. You are addicted to the AH like a stoner is addicted to drugs. Play without and you'll enjoy it a lot more and the items won't be so allegedly terrible.
Reply Quote
View profile
02/01/2013 11:29 AMPosted by Technoviking
you will be a treasure goblin player as soon as you end the noob stage. don't worry, it will happen

Well, I certainly wouldn't want to enter the douchebag stage like you have.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 11:29 AMPosted by Technoviking

+1 :D

When I first played, I picked up everything. I even sold whites and greys. Eventually I salvaged, yay. And then I salvaged only yellows -- taking the time to sell some, and salvage others (depending on which is more profitable).

Eventually, you discover your time is better spent simply killing more monsters, because no matter how much stuff you salvage or vendor, it won't amount to a hill of beans.

Also: once, a very long time ago, I accidentally either salvaged or vendored and left the game on a shoulder that was very dear to me (I right clicked a a junky rare that looked identical, and equipped it). After that I stopped salvaging/vendoring, and just dropped stuff I don't like on the ground, because guess what? one lost item = 1 year of salvaging.
Reply Quote
AH Addiction- the items are no doubt good but when you rely on those items everything else will of course be terrible and to get that god item back or a decent replacement will take some time without a doubt. Perhaps it was a message to play D3 like a game and not a business.
Reply Quote
Ah addiction is the general mindset in which players toss everything and come onto the forums and whine items are bad. I apologize if I don't know everyone's different ways of playing D3 but the general idea is that AH is required and as a result people deck out in gear 20x stronger than where they are in the game resulting in everything else from legs to rares being crap in comparison. It seems like the masses are plagued with AH addiction and the mindset that D3 is a business and not a game.

It would seem the general playstyle of choice is the following:'
Runner-go as quick as possible not bothering to really clear out everything in the area and doing events, etc.
AH Addicted- goes through selling or salvaging everything then whines drops are bad when their character has gear 20x stronger than anything drops because they bought the gear on the AH.
Sprinkle Fairy- drops 90% of what they pick up
Treasure Goblin- leaves a trail of items behind them because they just simply don't pick anything up. They then complain they aren't getting good drops when they ignorantly fail to realize that they never check their drops and so judge on the 1% of items they do take the time to collect.
Edited by LordArion#1206 on 2/1/2013 12:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
I Play for fun, add me ;)
Reply Quote
Runner or Clearer? and what class do you play.
Reply Quote
Lately I have wanted to try multiplayer but I play like this:
AH Free
Clearer
It seems like everyone plays like this:
AH Addiction
Runner
Treasure Goblin Player

A treasure goblin player is how I describe players who just leave a trail of items behind because they never pick anything up or just drop 2 seconds after picking something up. Does anybody play for fun or does everyone just treat the game like a business instead of a game.

What makes you so sure that treating the game like a business isn't fun for some people?
Reply Quote
Maybe it is. Aren't games supposed to be for entertainment though and work supposed to be the business part of life. Why are the two suddenly merging in game design?
Reply Quote
I started out picking everything up. If im playing a pub game I don't pick everything up because people don't want to wait everytime someone has to go back to town, which is understandable.

I also noticed that if I picked everything up, I wasn't killing. and when I wasn't killing masses of monsters I wasn't getting any good drops, because the chances or a good drop (good rares and even legendaries) are next to nothing.

so, you kind of have to decide where you want to spend your time, or how you want to play. sometimes I tire of the fruitless grind and just play for fun. but that usually involves creating a new character on mp10.

I don't use the AH. I started to a couple of times when the game fist came out to help me over humps, but like you said, it ruins the game. which it did, and which I found out.

now I hardly pick up any rares because i want to kill as much as fast as possible. and Im not having fun doing it.

it is a job. but not at the same time. I eventually quit wow for similar reasons....

hmmmmm
Reply Quote
The problem is when these people who's entertainment is busting out the credit card complain about itemization and cause changes in the game for those who don't use the auction house or don't base the entirety of the character development on the AH it does cause a problem. It would be like one of our political parties having 100% control and the other being tied up and getting kicked in the nuts. Unfortunately that obsession with the AH is taking what Diablo was, a loot based ARPG, and turning it into a game where everything revolves around a market. Diablo isn't an MMO, lets keep that way.
Reply Quote
I started out picking everything up. If im playing a pub game I don't pick everything up because people don't want to wait everytime someone has to go back to town, which is understandable.

I also noticed that if I picked everything up, I wasn't killing. and when I wasn't killing masses of monsters I wasn't getting any good drops, because the chances or a good drop (good rares and even legendaries) are next to nothing.

so, you kind of have to decide where you want to spend your time, or how you want to play. sometimes I tire of the fruitless grind and just play for fun. but that usually involves creating a new character on mp10.

I don't use the AH. I started to a couple of times when the game fist came out to help me over humps, but like you said, it ruins the game. which it did, and which I found out.

now I hardly pick up any rares because i want to kill as much as fast as possible. and Im not having fun doing it.

it is a job. but not at the same time. I eventually quit wow for similar reasons....

hmmmmm

Your troubles are because the fanbase is turning Diablo into the son of WOW. People are turning it into a market based game when it is a loot based game.
Reply Quote
The main problem with the AH is that it kills items progression, since you have the opportunity to find all the gear you want with the stats you are looking for, you only need to grind gold to buy them or even pay real money to buy those items you want in the RMAH, so the feeling of progress in the game and the hard decisions between choosing one items over the other does not exist because you have a system which facilitates the finding of specific items with the stats you are looking for.

I think that if Blizzard address this issue the game will have a turn around, otherwise, it will still be at its current level despite all patches they might include.

Also, I think that the AH house has a lot of good things but maybe for this kind of game (ARPG) it doesn't suits well, since what makes an ARPG attractive is the feeling of character customization, social interaction and progression during the game-play and I believe that the AH is killing the social interaction, since you do not need to find someone in the game who might offer you a good pair of boots you might need because they are better than the ones you have, because you only click AH and search for it, click again, and its done, but also, the AH kills items progression, because all the OP items you want to grind while you play are in there, so at the end you are only grinding gold in order to buy those items without having the feeling of you killing mobs and finding a great item that probably you don't need because it did not roll the stats you were looking for, but you saved it for other char you might want to create....currently, that feeling is not happening in the game.

The tough question is....what to do with the AH??
Reply Quote
Exactly. The AH has no place in an ARPG. The AH and RMAH are systems that belong in an MMO. People use to join up to go on Baal runs or Meph runs, Uber runs, Pandemonium runs, etc. Now it is all just an obsession over looking for that item they can sell for 1 billion on the AH and then complaining they never find anything better because all their items are from the AH. The AH should be temporarily shut down, just to see what happens. This would help determine the next move for D3.
Reply Quote
It takes 30 seconds to make a trip to town and sell or salvage rares. For what? 30k?

Do you know how many mobs I can kill at MP7 that will drop 2 and 3k stacks of gold in 30 seconds?

It's simply not efficient to pick everything up and, forget IDing it all, just selling or salvaging.
Reply Quote
I don't care if anybody uses the AH or not, 99.9999% of your drops are going to be crap regardless...that's just the way this game was made. Pretending to be better than those that do is just ridiculous.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]