Diablo® III

Does Anybody Here Play AH Free

02/06/2013 10:25 AMPosted by Ronix
Too bad the game doesn't have an achievement for self found players that finish the game (Inferno Diablo kill) without using the AH.

This is a great idea, but considering how central the AH is to D3, probably a nightmare to code.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 02:32 PMPosted by DamageInc
buddy i am not a noob, but i play for fun and will work for my gear over using the AH. Of course you guys see everything as garbage. You are addicted to the AH like a stoner is addicted to drugs. Play without and you'll enjoy it a lot more and the items won't be so allegedly terrible.

12000 dps barb. Nope not a noob at all.

You failed to clear inferno lol.
Reply Quote
02/05/2013 11:33 PMPosted by Grimiku
For those of you who enjoy or prefer growing your characters without the assistance of the Auction House, how do you feel about crafted items? In your opinion, does crafting with your own materials count as a "self-found item," or do you think that's something that really only applies to item drops?

Technically it's self found, but it doesn't have the same "holy !#@ an awesome item just dropped" rush that you get combined with the thrill/satisfaction of slaying a powerful enemy immediately beforehand.

One of the most exhilarating things about D2 that I remember was that awesome feeling of anticipation as Baal's health was getting low that something awesmoe was about to drop. Unfortunately with D3, you don't have that same exciting anticipation, because you expect to be disappointed (the items that drop will not be great).
Edited by Darkfistz#1541 on 2/6/2013 2:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
I've only ever played using gear I found, and I cleared Inferno before some of the more recent nerfs (can't remember which patch). I don't understand buying gear in a game about finding gear, but to each their own.

I'd be okay with using crafted items, even more so if they're from a plan I found, but so far nothing I've made has really been any good.
Reply Quote
I'd like to point out that if you choose not to use the AH having the the gold to craft is going to be rough.

BOA anything in a item hunting game???

I think crafting is one more option needed to help gear people like me who would like not to use the AH.

The more options the better. More options = more fun game play. :)
Reply Quote
i suggest opening up a new server without the AH, gold or real money, and increasing the chance of getting good items or lowering the gap / range of the roll of items so they are useful more often etc.

well you get the just of my idea here at least.

for some reason i doubt this will ever even be a consideration, but here it is none the less.
Reply Quote
Rewarding those who find there own gear...yay:)

Just a few ideas

1.  Have an option to start a new character w/shared stash and action house locked. Have a progress bar like that of hardcore players.  

2.  Have a large zone or random dungeon that only allows entrance with gear found on your account. have it scale w/mp and allow wonderful rewards  exclusive to it. This could be a wonderfully rewarding/challenging part of end game. Clearing it in mp 10 would be a huge accomplishment. 

3. PvP w/gear found... 

4. Or Mix luck and skill. Have a battle w/gear you scrounge up before the fight have a 2-3min timer and fight w/only the gear you find. Winner keeps both sets. 

5. Mix all the above 

Having an aspect to the game you can't just buy your way out of/into will last longer. 
Edited by alces#1923 on 2/6/2013 7:54 PM PST
Reply Quote

12000 dps barb. Nope not a noob at all.

You failed to clear inferno lol.

First of all I have barely started inferno so be quiet.

Second of all I didn't realize my thread was still going here.

And in response to the blue: Thanks for asking and I think that anything that returns progression to playing the game and not by lurking around the AH is a step in the right direction. The concept of the AH was good as a way of trade but its application was poorly executed. I have faith in you guys in that you will reduce the overbearing influence of the auction house on gameplay. 1.07 is the beginning of good things I believe and hope it only improves further.

A suggestion I have is that there be a server created that has zero AH influence and can only be accessed by characters with gear found on their account. I'm not sure how AH purchased gear would be detected but I would imagine that a system would keep track of all the transactions in a database and tag the items and keep track of them and if that tag is caught on this server the chatacter cannot enter unless they remove the gear that is being flagged. This would allow players who have no desire to the AH and only use self found gear to flourish and have fun while the people who do like the AH can do their thing without having AH free players attacking their practice. The community is pretty divided on this subject and a lot of the people that would be here agreeing with me are the droves of fellow nephalem that have left sanctuary to another world. I'm sure they would love to come back and allowing them to play without the influence of the AH would be a great thing. It would be like open and closed battle net. Closed would be AH severs and Open would be the AH free servers if that makes sense.
Edited by LordArion#1206 on 2/6/2013 7:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
For those of you who enjoy or prefer growing your characters without the assistance of the Auction House, how do you feel about crafted items? In your opinion, does crafting with your own materials count as a "self-found item," or do you think that's something that really only applies to item drops?

I would say it more heavily applies to gear that is found, but crafted items make up about 25% of that in my mind.
MVP FAQ: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4038704716#2
Reply Quote
i'm more interested in seeing that awesome item drop out in the field....i really don't care about the blacksmith.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
Personally I would have to say crafting does not count as found items. Because the act of just going around and 'farming' if you will, just to then roll die for an item just doesn't feel the same.

Compared to killing a tough rare group or boss and seeing the item drop. Then opening it and seeing the green numbers just makes it worth all of the respawns or difficulty to kill said npc.

Crafting an item is a nice way to supplement the current ah v no ah issue but it is not a complete fix. More of a quick patch (so to speak) to tide players over while hopefully implementing a long term plan.

I'm not exactly criticizing crafting as a bad fix. I just think it will only hold as a temporary one. I will enjoy it none the less.

p.s. keep up the good work.
Edited by slugmaster#1287 on 2/6/2013 8:39 PM PST
Reply Quote

don't think that AH users don't like crafting too

a big part of Diablo 2's item cycle involved collecting crafting components. example: blood rings needed sol rune, perfect ruby, and a junk jewel. in turn, the ring could roll really high life leech (much higher than regular rares/blues)

we need more incentive to craft. increase the max rolls, or give us unique affixes that can only roll via crafting. look at D2. it worked well there.
Reply Quote
I would really like to see really great items coming from the corpses of hell's legions. Crafting works as a supplement between the AH and finding gear in the field but a lot of people would really appreciate finding great gear in the field being the superior force to both crafting and the AH. Crafting and the AH are great supplements for characters in which the item gods are not in favor of but the best way of obtaining great gear in a loot based game should always be to pry it from the cold dead hands of defeated enemies in a hard earned victory..
Reply Quote

self-found player here. I just broke 100K dps unbuffed with my main after 35K elite kills+. The thing is I don't even use crafting. What is fun for me is killing monsters and getting that awesome drop, not sitting here mindlessly clicking a 100 times on a button to salvage items and craft an item that does not have a higher chance of yielding me an item that is going to be the way I want, that is the main problem here. The new BOA items is a step in the right direction for less randomness in crafting, but it's still way too random to be more efficient or "fun" than farming monsters.
Reply Quote
Ruddy has a point. The crafting is a bit too random. I have had times where I was crafting items for my Barbarian and went through half my crafting materials (which was a lot) before getting a piece of equipment useful to that class. Based on the character you are playing as the crafting should favor those stats. If I am a barb it should prioritize a useful stat to that character like Stength or Vitality. I don't want to roll Dex or Int 80% of the time and waste tons of gold, crafting materials, or time. My new wiz is having one heck of a time crafting anything useful to him because he keeps rolling Str and Dex.
Reply Quote

We know that players would like to have more options when it comes to self-found gear, and we've already begun implementing changes (as seen with the new crafted items and Marquise gem tier in 1.0.7) to help make that more of a reality. Ensuring that players have reasonable routes towards their in-game goals, be it efficiency or just playing at your pace with your own gear, is definitely a goal for the design team and one of things we're working to improve on.

How are Marquise gems (with their ridiculous craft costs) and crafting a solution to self found gear?? It does absolutely nothing to fix the core problem.

Every time Blizzard answers questions about core issues with the game, you guys always answer in a way that makes me feel like you're completely out of touch with what the community wants with this game. That or you know the core issues would require a HUGE overhaul and so you avoid the issue with band aid patches like Marquise and BOA crafting.
Reply Quote

Yes it does, counts as self-found item.

The reason I'm not using the AH is that it seems to me that there would be absolutely zero challenge if I used it.

I mean, I can farm for 2 hours and buy a huge upgrade to any of my gear...
Insanely good gear is so cheap it's ridiculous.
There's a reason why these '3 million budget wizard build, 1 million budget barb build' videos keep popping. There's so many gear available in the AH that the low/mid gear is ridiculously cheap.

So, even a complete 'noob' can just play the game ( at 60 ) for like 20 hours, and get enough gold to buy the gear needed to steamroll inferno without any challenge whatsoever.

My decision not to buy any gear in the AH came from this.

And crafting isn't like this at all.
Crafting is just like 'buying more drops' imho. Very expensive drops.
As I said, for like 500k gold you can buy a huge upgrade... Or craft like 5 items.
3 if you have to buy the essences.
Odds are, not only you won't find an upgrade in these 3/5 items, they'll probably all be terrible.
Sometime you get a gem tho. But it's rare. Just like drops.

Long story short : Gearing myself through self-found drops and crafting is a challenge, and it's fun.
Buying in the AH would not be any fun to me. That's where I draw the line.

I'd be curious to hear the reasonning of self-found players who also never craft, but to me, that's acceptable.
Reply Quote
Just make all gear account bound on equip so if someone wants to sell he can but once you put it on there's no more reselling, main problem nowdays is oversaturation of market as there's no item sink.

That would allow you to even adjust loot tables a bit and make game feel fun once again, oh and crafting should be like gambling was in d2 tho I rly like fact that items will bind on account.

I did clear whole game on HC as selfound and will in time do it with all 5 classes as it's probably most fun i had with d3.
Reply Quote
Of late, I've been too poor to buy an upgrade from the AH, so it's kinda been forced on me.

I did buy my bracers recently, swapped AR for PR, may swap them back again once 1.07 drops. They only cost 400K tho.

It's been good, though, I was fairly addicted to AH for a while there, never had more than 2-4M in the bank. Now, after getting some decent drops and also being given items from friends, I simply cannot afford anything better, so I'm saving gold and really only playing to hear that sound and see that beam of light.

Oh, and I'm a clearer, I pick up all Rares, Tomes and Gems. Almost all Rares end up in the bin though, as do most legends.
Reply Quote
02/05/2013 11:50 PMPosted by BigReaper
This games needs a separate realm where there are no auction houses and the drop rates are 5x more or something. I would definitely play that.
And so would every botter and duper. And magically, gear would still be sold for cash. That would solve literally nothing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]