Diablo® III

Does Anybody Here Play AH Free

My thing is that I have played 200+ hours and if I don't use the auction house there is no way to afford the outrageous gold craft cost of the new gem. I haven't played ptr (or the game at all in 1-2 months) but if crafting costs are in line with what they were at the beginning of 1.06 then it is completely worthless to me because the amounts of gold required are kind of prohibitive, especially with rng being so crappy. Also rng wouldn't be a problem if itemization and dps calculations were better thought out but that is beside the point.
Reply Quote
Can you kindly tell me why I haven't gotten anything worth more than 1 million, in the last 2.9 months? All I want to do is get gear to drop for me, because it is fun. But that is not happening. Can you allow me to have enjoyment? Make ALL the items BIND ON ACCOUNT, just for me. I want godly stuff to drop, I don't want to make real money off this game. Getting amazing loot is fun. Getting 100% garbage for 2.9 months is not fun and it is not enjoyable.

My profile:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Banksownus-1123/hero/70245

Don't say 227k damage is impossible to upgrade any further. I haven't gotten anything (as drops) for my other 2 characters, and their damage is only 100-115k (I use some barb items on them).

Maybe stop asking why you don't get drops worth more than 1m, and start asking why you didn't sell any of your drops for more than 1m.
Reply Quote
Marquise gems designed for self-found players... yeah, right...
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 05:17 AMPosted by JohnDifool

:p
Reply Quote
02/05/2013 11:48 PMPosted by matt1101
It's nice to provide the option for more self found items... But account bound items is the wrong approach in this regard. It will cause most players to not want to sink gold into these items because the chance of rolling a good item, despite a guaranteed stat roll, is minimal.

The good thing about account bound items is that they are definitely going to be yours. No one will contest that you got them from the AH easily.

02/04/2013 01:44 AMPosted by Waitubold
AH is not an "addiction" in D3; the game is designed to make it a necessity, more or less, and it will remain so until Blizzard addresses drop rates.

I beat inferno without purchasing gear from AH. I am actually farming MP1 efficiently without AH.

Your skill didn't get worse for using the AH, but you stopped it from getting better.
Edited by vexorian#1817 on 2/6/2013 5:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
02/06/2013 05:17 AMPosted by JohnDifool

Yeah that made me LOL, too
Reply Quote
Ha-ha-haaa! What a dark sense of humor. Here's the gist: Many players would like to get great gear by their own devices, through collecting materials or essences or stuff and then fiddling with the properties of some gear they found, increasing attributes etc. That means, Mr. Funny, no exorbitant price tags or random generated blacksmith junk, but a clear path to creating dramatic upgrades.
Mission failure, so far, go begin implementing a lot more!

New recipes allow you to choose a high primary attribute. that's enough.

If you just want godly gear for almost free and no actual work then go get them from the AH. Us self-found players don't want "dramatic upgrades" to fall out of the sky.
Reply Quote
This thread does a really good job of articulating the difference between two popular approaches to playing Diablo III. Some players want to find their own gear and some players just want to streamline their way to maximum efficiency. There are a lot of players in-between as well. Each are completely valid play styles that happen to provide different benefits to different people. (Personally, I like to keep my Auction House use to a minimum in general, but I am willing to spend some gold if one of my items really needs adjustment.)

We know that players would like to have more options when it comes to self-found gear, and we've already begun implementing changes (as seen with the new crafted items and Marquise gem tier in 1.0.7) to help make that more of a reality. Ensuring that players have reasonable routes towards their in-game goals, be it efficiency or just playing at your pace with your own gear, is definitely a goal for the design team and one of things we're working to improve on.

For those of you who enjoy or prefer growing your characters without the assistance of the Auction House, how do you feel about crafted items? In your opinion, does crafting with your own materials count as a "self-found item," or do you think that's something that really only applies to item drops?

I'd love to play without the AH.. But I want to build my barb around using Life Regen. But to get enough of it you have to have 300 on almost every piece of gear and then have the 500 on the chest. Truth is there isn't even enough of the gear I am looking for on the AH let alone what I could pick up. Frankly I'd like to see Life regen boosted on one or two item slots. A shield in particular should be boosted to a 750 max and I'd really like to see a chest piece be boosted to 750 max as well. Having larger numbers on one or two gear slots would allow me to get enough to not have to have it on other slots where I could then opt for something I would prefer like a Mempo or even Andy's for example.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 05:24 AMPosted by vexorian
Us self-found players don't want "dramatic upgrades" to fall out of the sky.

Us players who don't care either way are more concerned about the itemization rather than a silly "self-found" vs "AH user" status.
Reply Quote
View profile
I've never understood why "self found" players care one whit:

a) that an auction house exists
and
b) some people use it

I just don't get it. Don't wanna use the AH ... DON'T! It will not prevent you from beating the game.
Reply Quote
02/05/2013 11:33 PMPosted by Grimiku
For those of you who enjoy or prefer growing your characters without the assistance of the Auction House, how do you feel about crafted items? In your opinion, does crafting with your own materials count as a "self-found item," or do you think that's something that really only applies to item drops?

I am OK with what I loot, even better now I hit 60 and the Nephalem Valor adds up.
I count craft as self loot as well, and would be happy to get more.

Was already stated in the past, would be really good we can put a gem as 1st porperty of an item, to make sure we have the good direction from start (not crafting 100 items to get Intel and not Dex or Strenght instead)
Reply Quote
It's like Hardcore. Playing that mode makes you cool and stuff amirite.
Reply Quote
View profile
I never have and never will buy anything from the auction house. The whole point of the Diablo franchise is finding sweet loot to upgrade your character, so why would you want to undercut your fun by simply buying it? Doesn't make any sense.
Reply Quote
View profile

Crafted items would work as self found if there are more crafting mats that you need than demon essences. Also crafting to be viable needs to have less randomness and more fixed stats with a range. Make some of the recipes where you would have gloves. Making some ilvl 63 recipes would not hurt either.

Maybe you can even make different ways to craft, similar to using the Horadric Cube to craft in D2. Those crafting recipes can even take some gems to make them work. Anyone remember the Blood, Caster, Safety and HIt Power gear of D2. These had a mix of random stats as well as fixed stats. These are more like the items that the crafting recipes of the blacksmith should be. If you wanted an in game gold sink that is like the gambling NPC then why not throw on in the game. Then the blacksmith would be something that players would use to gear out their characters.

Or you could even make a recipe where you can take a lower tiered item and using the recipe have either the blacksmith or a cube recipe that would up tier the item. You might have found a good piece of gear that gives you some good benefits. Maybe it is a level 45 item. But with the right amount of gold and some crafting mats (which could include rare/legendary) you could make the gear you need. But you would likely be looking to replace it unless you can up tier it to the next highest level. It could cost gold and maybe even some of the gear that you find that is junk to you.

Also at the same time do not forget to include other ways that players might be able to find their own gear. Maybe make a few new dungeons where you will have a higher chance to find better quality gear. The drop rates in those dungeons can be lower than what it is in the rest of the game. But the chances for better quality will go up some. Heck you can even make it more enticing by making the mobs tougher than normal.
Reply Quote
I actually like crafted gear even better than self-found gear, since I "made" it, it gives an even better sense of ownership.

I'd love the idea of a no-AH mode, complete with a separate stash etc. It's just too tempting when you get stuck and the AH is right there. I feel like I'm gimping myself by not using it.
Reply Quote

A problem with crafting is that right now it doesn't make you care about the specific drops (other than the color), since it just uses the salvaged materials.

If crafting involved a "base item" or items, and the crafted item would somehow retain the same affixes or some of the same affixes as the base item(s); or something like that... then now you have to care about the specifics of what you find. That would be more fun because you now have to look for specific drops.

Another problem with crafting is the tedium; low-odds crafting is definitely just tedium. Grinding is at least fun because you're killing stuff. "Craft-grinding" is not fun, you're just clicking buttons.

So it would be a lot better if the crafting required a lot of grinding to get the materials, but then the crafting itself was not very random. For example, maybe if I find ten items that have crit chance and all resists, then I'm guaranteed to get those affixes on my crafted item, or whatever. So now there's grinding to find the ten items, but I won't have to sit there clicking on crafting buttons.

Also, maybe crafting is a way to implement some kind of "finder bonus" system ( see http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7415644229 ) - perhaps some crafting recipes require "an Axe you found yourself" or whatever, and then those recipes are extra-powerful, for example they allow you to retain all or almost all of the affixes of the original item. This would be balanced as long as you have to find the item and not just buy it.

The way you spend your time should be finding loot - don't balance crafting by making it long-odds, balance it by making you first find loot (which already has long odds), and then use crafting to let people improve the loot they find.

And ideally, don't use the "account bound" sledgehammer; just remove the crafted improvements when an item is sold. I think people want to BOTH use the AH and still self-find items. Thinking of it as "two play styles" is wrong, it's not as fun to choose, it's most fun to have BOTH.

Maybe for example if I self-find 20 items with All Resists, then I can get a guaranteed addition of All Resists to any self-found item. But if I sell that item, that crafted All Resists bonus drops off it. That's a finder bonus, and it's crafting based on grinding monsters, not on clicking buttons in the blacksmith. Good fun!
Reply Quote

Crafting counts. As long as you've gathered the items you've farmed on your own, it totally counts.

I played a lot of Diablo 2, and I never traded anything with anyone. The fun was in the finding. I guess I'm just a RNG slave.

I even had a friend offer to give me some items this weekend, but I refused. His level 47 DH had higher DPS than any of my level 53 characters. I'm just starting hell (at MP5), and he's already blowing through it. But I have fun making due with what I have. I may one day let myself use the AH, but I doubt it. (This really points to something that I think is a serious flaw in the system, though, that my level 53 characters can be so drastically out-classed by someone several levels lower. It means that the real game is in the gear, not in the skills. It's a major balance issue, in my mind. Gear should be an augmentation to skills, not overwhelmingly dominant.)

I'm looking forward to the 1.07 patch. It really suits my playstyle.
Reply Quote
In your opinion, does crafting with your own materials count as a "self-found item," or do you think that's something that really only applies to item drops?

In Diablo 1, the crafting equivalent was basically Grizmart. When I spent 20 hours of shopping to find a Kings (Bastard) Sword of Vampires, I considered that a self-found item.
Reply Quote
View profile
(Personally, I like to keep my Auction House use to a minimum in general, but I am willing to spend some gold if one of my items really needs adjustment.)

That's easy to do in nightmare mode. Just wait until you get into the later acts of hell mode and then into inferno mode. You will be singing a different tune then! ;)

I've gotten through Hell and two acts of Inferno with mostly self-found gear -- my Wizard was recently given another player's cast-offs, so it doesn't entirely count, but my Witch Doctor is all self-found, and he's rolling over mobs with relative ease.
Edited by MountainMan#1630 on 2/6/2013 6:29 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]