Diablo® III

Survivor's Guilt

So, my friend Voljin the Witch Doctor and I (playing Wolfram the Barbarian) went to face Belial, on our first try at HC (I am addicted now, won't even consider playing SC again).

Up to this point, we were kicking serious butt. Pretty much everyone fell in seconds; Voljin was seriously crazy strong. We grew up together, fought together. He was eager to face The Lord of Lies. I was wary. I knew Belial could be a threat. I wondered, moments before unmasking him, if this was the last time Wolfram enjoyed peace.

Everything went as planned for the first part of the battle. Then he turned into Belialzilla and in the first ten seconds of the fight, got Voljin with a couple of direct hits. It all happened so fast. I saw his life full, then it was a quarter less, then it was almost fully gone. I summoned my Ancient Barbs, screamed in rage, with the unformed idea in my head that my friend was dying. A second later, he was gone. I fought Belial, I killed him. Pounded the corpse until it was a puddle.

Voljin was the better man. He was the team's powerhouse. We would jest with each other, on who would die first and how he was immortal. I can't help but think that it should be me the one who died. I should be gone. Going back to Caldeum and watching the people cheer, I couldn't celebrate. Those idiots didn't have a clue of the sacrifice that was necessary so they could drink and !@#$% their ways to an early grave. Maybe I could have done something different; maybe I didn't help all that I could. Three men got in, one got out and now I am lost for meaning. The fight wasn't fair.

You shall always be remembered, Voljin! Buried with full military honors! Until we meet again, my friend!

( yeah, HC is a kickass experience)
Reply Quote
Rest in peace spirit warrior.
Reply Quote
May their fallen Hero never be forgotten.
Reply Quote
What a memorable experience for you! If you need some gear for your next trip through HC, let me know. I see you don't have any 60's yet so I'm willing to share some gear :)
Reply Quote
Nice. This is exactly why HC is more fun. Every fight is challenging no matter where you are. You can be playing normal/nm/hell and it'd still be fun.
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 09:20 AMPosted by WhiteZombie
He was eager to face The Lord of Lies. I was wary

There you go.
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 10:13 AMPosted by Lebowski
What a memorable experience for you! If you need some gear for your next trip through HC, let me know. I see you don't have any 60's yet so I'm willing to share some gear :)

Thank you, friend. We'll consider it for sure!
Reply Quote
RIP and thanks for the entertaining read.

I understand survivor's guilt - friend and I started a self-found run and were doing fine until Act 4 KeyWarden. Just bad luck on his part that he got caught and I didn't. I kept progressing with that character, and made a new one when he rerolled. Before I knew it, I had 3 alt barbs :S
Reply Quote
RIP to your friend and better luck next time.

The thing about Act 2 is that it has a lot of low-life pushover monsters who, while they hit hard, can be burned down before they do any real damage. So this act can make you get comfortable charging in and burning things down without having to work too hard to avoid harm.

Belial isn't like that. You have to respect him. Once you do that, he's no problem.
Reply Quote
Glory to the fallen. I shall raise a flagon of mead in honor of your friend.

Fun read too. HC rocks.
Reply Quote
...until Act 4 KeyWarden. Just bad luck on his part that he got caught and I didn't.

Oh, yeah. That's an encounter I'm already brooding about!

That's a fine point you make, Bottle.

I just found it curious that a game could actually make you feel like "...oh, crap, now my friend is dead. How come he is dead and I'm still alive? It seems so random!", which is something that wouldn't happen at all in softcore.

EDIT: Added the last paragraph.
Edited by WhiteZombie#1654 on 2/4/2013 12:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
Good read.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the awesome story, OP. You seem to have caught the HC bug :)

I lost my first HC character on Belial too.
Reply Quote
rip
Reply Quote
RiP
Reply Quote
You tell a great tale WhiteZombie,
RIP Voljin.
Out of all the Bosses, Belial has my most respect, wrong place, wrong time and your a goner in no time, but when I die I would rather meet my fate with "The Lord of Lies", than some dumb DC.

Catch you on the flip side,
Windigo
Reply Quote
Awesome story, RIP to your friend.

Oddly, I've have something like survivors guilt even when I've ripped too.
Reply Quote
Thank you all for your words.

02/05/2013 07:09 AMPosted by Windigo
but when I die I would rather meet my fate with "The Lord of Lies", than some dumb DC.

100% agreed. Somewhere I read says that death in battle is the best thing that you could hope to get, and there's no dishonor in such a way to go.

I was kind of nervous because when I did my SC run, Belial was serious business. Him and Rakanoth, I am particularly careful about.

We haven't played again. I guess my bud is still gathering himself after what happened (like I told my fiancée last night, "Nah, no Diablo tonight. We're still mourning"). I'm assuming I'm going to die too, eventually, but so far, none of my two main have perished. When that happens, who knows how I'll react.

I hope it happens during battle, with my boots on, and not due to some DC or something stupid like that.
Reply Quote
02/05/2013 11:54 AMPosted by WhiteZombie
I hope it happens during battle, with my boots on, and not due to some DC or something stupid like that.

Be prepped for it being otherwise, though. It is more than likely simply a matter of time.

I was pretty lucky and had no RIP's due to anything other than player error, for months on end - sometimes missing server problems that killed other players because I was sitting in the AH - until I lost three characters in about two weeks to non-player-error causes (a game freeze, a lag spike, and my video going so nutty I couldn't see, respectively).

I hope it does not happen to you (or anyone else, for that matter) - just be mentally prepped for it, as well as in-game prepped for it (keep some buffer gold just in case when gearing up, etc).
Edited by Anomie#1322 on 2/5/2013 12:17 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]