Diablo® III

Add Socket a "long term design goal"? Pathetic.

I know adding sockets to items is a game feature that a lot of players want, and I don’t want to sound dismissive to that feedback, but I was really was hoping that the reason you wanted to loot a drill was so you could theme your character after an angry dentist. Like a melee Wizard named DrNoNovacain. :P

In regards to adding sockets to items, I would like to say that it's still on the table for consideration and certainly something we'd like to add, but it would be a long term design goal if it were to be implemented at all.

The lengths that Blizzard is going through to protect RMAH revenue is just pathetic at this point. Really, the sequel to D2, one of the funnest games of all time, has ZERO item customization? Even though the add socket and imbue quest rewards from D2 were easily one of the funnest features? Spare us your BS rhetoric on how it's not adding much to the game. Lack of item customization is about item turnover, and therefor, RMAH revenue. New item you just looted missing a key stat or socket? Well, we're (Blizzard) not going to let you customize your gear, we'd really just like you to buy what you need. Pathetic.

D3 is a shell of what it could/should be because Blizzard is trying to pry a few extra dollars from your wallet via the RMAH. We deserve better.
Reply Quote
View profile
D2 socket came with the rune in the expansion. Not from the beginning. D3 team is testing how much of an effect does socket have on the game atm.
Reply Quote
Just adding sockets to items would easily break the game. I understand why blizzard wants to investigate HOW to do this and what kind of impact it would have.
Reply Quote
Yea I reckon it might come with the expansion as well. Would upset too many people if it was added now. Making there godly weapons not so godly anymore.
Reply Quote
topic +1
Reply Quote
View profile
it's a great gold sink if they charge 5-10mill per socket...
Reply Quote
View profile
"long term design goal"? = NO

'In the long run, we are all dead'
Reply Quote
quests in general were far better in D2:
Imbue, Sockets, Resist Scroll, permanent stats, permanent hp, equipment such as class specific rares/rings, adding your name to an item, skill points, HELLFORGE! and more

14 years later in Diablo 3:

800 gold
lol
Edited by glemmstengal#1552 on 2/7/2013 5:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
Oh My God.
Add Socket is a "long term design goal".
LOL.
Reply Quote
I know adding sockets to items is a game feature that a lot of players want, .........................................................................................................................................................................., but it would be a long term design goal if it were to be implemented at all.

Summed up!

At least grim had the guts to tell us that they know what we want but refuse to implement it!

Second to last "nail in the coffin" for me.

My last hope is that maybe the new lead dev will feel differently about this.

If he/she does not feel differently then I'm done!

Protecting the value of items SHOULD be secondary.

FUN should be the primary goal of developing this game.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 03:28 PMPosted by Steveg
the sequel to D2, one of the funnest games of all time, has ZERO item customization
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 04:04 PMPosted by Guybrush
Just adding sockets to items would easily break the game. I understand why blizzard wants to investigate HOW to do this and what kind of impact it would have.

I don't really think you know what "break the game" means. How exactly will it break the game? Certainly not in general game play or itemization. In fact, it would add greater options and choices to the overall loot hunt. Adding sockets and enchanting is a major staple of the ARPG genre, and all current titles of said genre have some sort of functionality in these regards. Personally, I greatly enjoy the enchanting and socket options in TL2, as they allow the player a great amount of options in keeping favorable gear relevant throughout the game.

I think you actually mean "break the economy", which in of itself is a fallacy. Again, it will add more choices to the types of gear people may trade or sell via the AH. Additionally, if you think breaking the economy is the equivalent of breaking the game, then there is a major issue here.
Edited by Mendacium#1504 on 2/7/2013 6:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 04:02 PMPosted by KirusAlufras
D2 socket came with the rune in the expansion. Not from the beginning. D3 team is testing how much of an effect does socket have on the game atm.

Yes because, drawing upon previous groundwork is an awful thing.

It's a good thing that the rest of the world doesn't draw upon previous data or knowledge. </sarcasm>
Edited by matt1101#1472 on 2/7/2013 6:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
I suggest that everyone that's suggesting socketing would break the game is wrong.. straight out.

1. godly weapons will not be ungodly if you can add sockets to unsocketed weapons... there would just be a increase in godly weapons. Sure sometimes a really lucky draw will exist that will allow a non socketed weapon to out perform a current godly one.. but not in a massive way. Current godly weapons will still be completely useful.

2. Good Weapons and Items will increase in availablity and lower prices overall, which is GREAT for the market... people might have a chance to get a functional weapon without spending 500 million. People want that.

3. Who cares if stuff loose value... I bought this game to play it, not to make money off it. Get over it.

4. Some people say that people that spend money on the game will be pissed off that those items will loose value... I spent money, and I want to see socketing as soon as possible.

Socketing just brings more interesting possiblities to the game... and the itemization.. As well as bring hope to those that are struggling to afford good items. Cause it will become slightly easier to get a Good item. (emphasis on slightly)...
Reply Quote
I think you actually mean "break the economy", which in of itself is a fallacy. Again, it will add more choices to the types of gear people may trade or sell via the AH. Additionally, if you think breaking the economy is the equivalent of breaking the game, then there is a major issue here.

This.

I do my fair share of compaining in general, but get sick of complaints about "ruining the economy"...

As long as you're only using the GAH, then the "state of the economy" is meaningless - if items you find are going to sell for less, that means an equivalent item better suited to your class is also going to sell for less. At its best, the GAH is just anonymized mass trading - I have an item worth 5 chickens that I don't need and you have an item worth 5 chickens that I want, so I sell my item for 5 chickens and use those 5 chickens to buy your item. It doesn't matter if we change "5 chickens' to "500k gold" or "100M gold" or "1 Trillion gold".

So anyhow, if the amount of fun you're having is dependant on the economy of trades, then might I suggest the NYSE or NASDAQ.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 04:02 PMPosted by KirusAlufras

I agree. Releasing a socket changes the way we interact with items, and adding sockets haphazardly could take a big dump on the already-bad itemization.

Long term design goal is appropriate in this case.
Reply Quote
At this point adding sockets would destroy game balance, based on how powerful the gems are.
Edited by Lauperion#1918 on 2/8/2013 5:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
I'm almost certain, when the say "long term design goa"l... they are simply saying.

"We will be adding socketing, but it won't be added to till the expansion.... Cause we know it's a very much wanted feature that will add beneficial depth to an otherwise boring itemization, and we are banking on the fact that if we add socketing, as well as rare jewels and better gems as an expansion we are guareenting the highest number of cows (er i mean customers) will buy the expansion, thus satisfying our shareholders.... We don't want to shoot ourselves in the foot by offering you that now."
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]