Diablo® III

Game-Freeze Deaths

Besides turning every single graphic option to zero anybody have a better way to prevent game-freeze deaths on elites loading? I just recently lost a 60 barb by simply resuming a game was dead before I even loaded, and then my re-build with over 60% resist all died in hell when Mage Lord Misgen froze the game. I was able to survive the first freeze when he appeared by hitting esc and waiting, however the second skill he used hitting esc didn't save me. I'd really like the ability to kill my own characters instead of just being a casualty of terrible game dynamics.
Reply Quote
Update your graphics card might help and if using laptop nake sure it doesnt overheat.
Reply Quote
d3prefs:
DisableTrilinearFiltering "1"
HardwareClass "1"

+ low gfx

..and i still get fps drops occassionally, but at least no crashes anymore on i7 950/gtx470/ssd
Reply Quote
Also having a SSD hard drive will help A LOT when loading/switching between zones.
Reply Quote
Always change quests before you start playing. That way, you'll start out in town and you won't have to worry about resume game deaths.

On the graphics card freeze-up deaths, you're probably screwed. If my graphics card is having trouble it sometimes helps to restart my computer. But beside changing hardware, I don't know that there's much you can do.
Reply Quote
Always change quests before you start playing. That way, you'll start out in town and you won't have to worry about resume game deaths.

On the graphics card freeze-up deaths, you're probably screwed. If my graphics card is having trouble it sometimes helps to restart my computer. But beside changing hardware, I don't know that there's much you can do.

I see they changed this in 1.0.7 to be the default behaviour with a tele to the last checkpoint.
Reply Quote
d3prefs:
DisableTrilinearFiltering "1"
HardwareClass "1"

Where do I find these settings?

Also it's not generally often that this occurs, in fact I had a level 60 of each class before killing my barb, but I've come to the conclusion that it has to be a skill or graphic that is not in memory the moment the game tries to render it, and at the moment of render the game will freeze, and resume but often resume at 150-200% normal speed to "catch up" with what has actually happened, of course this catch up time does not allow me to catch up myself so I pretty much stand still taking damage for 3-5 seconds or more.

Almost makes me wish I could kill one of my characters myself... last character I remember killing myself was a level 30 wizard a year or so ago but I've got a hall of heroes with 5 level 50+ lag deaths =-\
Reply Quote
if your running windows, should be under c:/ -> users -> your username -> my documents -> diablo III -> D3prefs
Reply Quote
i have overkill stats for d3 yet i always lag at the start of every game for about 20 seconds.. dunno why
Reply Quote
Simply because nobody has suggested this:

Clean the dust out of your video card.

It was the only thing that worked for me, but damn did it work!
Reply Quote
Might just me being mental but, i switch the game to run full screen windowed and it seemed to help me at least.
Reply Quote
The "freeze" you may be encountering might not have anything to do with your computer or graphics setting. The game client has to basically load both graphical textures (off your disk) and map data whenever you resume or start a game. The same holds true for the initial mob (their graphics and animation effects) that you encounter. If a mob ends up also appearing at your checkpoint, that is additional data the client needs to buffer. It's actually the worst scenario because the video could basically end up freezing for a couple of seconds.

The game also currently will re-spawn you at your last checkpoint outside of town (as mentioned, this behavior is changing in 1.0.7 as you will always re-spawn in town; a portal will exist for your last checkpoint).

This is why the suggestion to basically go into Change Quest and start a new quest. Just a warning though, with some quests, you will lose your previous progress unless you picked up the next checkpoint. A good example is during the Heart of Sin quest. Say you exited at the Arreat Crater Level 2 waypoint. If you start a new quest and then try to go back to the Heart of Sin quest, you will to need to re-clear from Arreat Crater Level 1.

What I do when progressing is to end the run when I get a checkpoint. The next time I resume playing, I change the difficulty level to a lower one for the same quest and start game (if you want to be ultra safe just select normal difficulty). I do this so that I can get the game client to at least buffer most of the non random texture and map data. I'll also play through for a few minutes (that will also get the monster data buffered), portal back to town, exit game, then change back the difficulty.

I've been testing the content load lag on the 1.0.7 PTR. It has gotten a bit better but it still does happen. Having the game client installed on an SSD only helps a bit. I run the game at 2560x1600 with everything on the highest settings. Using the above, I've avoided that initial content lag and video freeze. As usual though, your mileage may vary since the amount of RAM and fragmentation state of the disk the game is installed on could also play factors.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]