Diablo® III

Monk/Wiz Looking for advice

Started HC not to long ago so I am trying to play smart and be cautious (sometimes I think I am being overly cautious, but then again...I dont think u can be too overly cautious). I'm leveling 3 HC players at the same time so if one dies I'm not back to square one.

For monk...been a long time since I played one in SC so what is the consensus on LoH or Life Steal for monk (when I played before it was LoH)? I have been balancing Vit/Dex/dps for now and I continually search the AH for better gear that I can afford since I only have about 450k gold at the moment.

I keep playing with the skills I have especially with the mantras/runes ...is there one I should specifically should be using at this point?

I like thunderclap but I'm not sure that may be the best at this point...almost bought the farm yesterday by getting locked in 2 groups of elites...was fighting one and then the other just swooped in on me and got my heart a'pounding.

Wiz...real squishy...think I need more vit plus I'm trying to figure what the best way to kite at this point...any tips on what I should try....like meteor but it comes at a high arcane cost so need a good generator of arcane...spectral blades seems to work the best at this point...

Anyways, thanks for taking a look and I look forward to some constructive advice/admonishment on my toons.
Reply Quote
First off, with the little damage you do at that level probably life on hit but you would need to gear for it. You weapons are way under powered for your level try to get some with some life on hit if you can. You health is awesome!! I would also use a sheild if I were you to up your armor even more along with block. Also, if you can find more life regen to go with your mantra that would help alot too. Just my 2 cents. There are alot more knowledgeable people out here than me.
Reply Quote
You want some advice?

Here are my tricks for fast leveling:

• You don't want a purple gem in your helmet, you want a red one. More experience means faster levels which means cheaper awesome gear at the AH. It's better to be over-leveled for your content than to have good gear, and on top of that its easier to have good gear if you're over-leveled. In Normal mode you can pretty much get away with all +exp gear since the difficulty is not that great
  • A decent ratio I kept for my wizard and barb was 1:1 primary vs. vitality. You need a health pool that will outlast champs and dealing decent damage is the best insurance for never having to rely on your health pool. At some point you'll get caught in an arcane/molten blast/etc.. high dps attack and you should be able to weather 2-3 such events in one fight without dying. You never want to have too little health that you can be 1 or 2 shot, but beyond that you can focus on dps.
  • Upgrade your weapon in the AH every 2-3 levels. Dedicate your weapon and its stats to pure dps and keep it up to date. Never let your weapon lag behind you 4-5 levels.

Following these steps should let Normal and Nightmare difficulties be a breeze, you should be able to clear them in 8-10 hours of play with a single character I think. Once you get to Hell you'll have to actually know how to play your character class to beat champs.

I'm at 60 now farming Inferno as a wizard and my Int-Vit is more like 3:2 now, but prior to Hell it was more like 1:1.

For individual builds you will have to look up the specific class. I saw you were looking at Monk, I'm not playing my monk any more until after the 1.0.7 update... looks like they get buffed pretty well so I wouldn't waste your time prior.
Edited by notsofst#1108 on 2/4/2013 12:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 11:58 AMPosted by notsofst
Upgrade your weapon in the AH every 2-3 levels. Dedicate your weapon and its stats to pure dps and keep it up to date. Never let your weapon lag behind you 4-5 levels.

This is definitely one that I had not even considered....

I normally run with a ruby in helm...just replaced with amethyst for the butcher battle...just something I do just to give me a little extra even if I dont need it.
Reply Quote
HC Monk was kinda easy for me. Basically, just over-level the content. I used deadly reach: Piecing Trident for a lot of the early leveling. Only had one close moment at the Nightmare Key Warden, but I was probably pushing things and could have taking things a lot slower. If you want, you can waste some gold at anytime past level 44 to get a reduced level req. weapon with LoH, and then breeze your way through to level 60.

Always remember that reaching level 60 is the goal. Not advancing through the game. get to level 60 and getting to Inferno is EZ-PZ.

You basically make about 1.5M to 2M gold between the time you start and get to 60 on your first character (depending on how much you buy, sell, craft, etc.). That's enough to gear up to pass the first two acts of Inferno. The money you make in those two acts is really enough to beat the rest of Inferno. The main advice I would give you is:

1. Start building your first level 60 gear set as soon as possible, either sniping ridiculous deals with buyouts at 1d11h, or buy bidding for very cheap gear (it's not like you need the gear immediately). I started with a shield, picking up a great the absolute best one I could afford and let that decide my resistance. Then I slowly built my gear around that as I leveled. The less you're playing in a day, the more time you have. If you play more than a few hours in a day, you can buy more time by rotating through all your characters. No sense in getting to 60 before you're ready with your gear.

2. A lot of people say to go with a red gem in your helm, but I was more conservative and went with a purple gem, but re-played a bunch of areas to keep my XP up. It's slower, but it's safer. If you want to 60 faster, though, red gem it is. It's not unsafe to use one, really.

3. LoH for your Monk. LS doesn't really start to work until you get to about 40K DPS, especially if you're not using an offensive skill set. I start with MoE:Hard Target instad of Overawe, for example.

4. You do want to get to Thunderclap as your main attack. The reason is that the best way to survive is with a lot of LoH and a lot of armor+resits. I had over 1000 LoH when I beat Inferno for the first time in HC. Thunderclap actually gives you more survivability: because of proc rates and hidden speed multipliers it magnifies your LoH greatly. There's also nothing worse than running away from something when using DR:Keen Eye and knowing that your armor drops if you stop hitting things - exactly when you needed that armor the most anyway. If you're not at a place where you can comfortably use thunderclap, you're probably need to back up anyway.

Now for my Wizard advice: Try not to die. That's all I've got.

I'm just starting Inferno with my first Wizard ever. If anyone wants to, they can give Romad some advice by looking at my Wizard and pointing out all the things I'm doing wrong and all the things they'd change if they were me... I'm not hijacking his thread, mind you... I'm just offering my character to be used as examples of what NOT to do, if there are any :)

I'll be hitting ZK and then Belial soon, so if anyone wants to yell at me to stop because I'm not ready, that might be helpful, too (to Romad, of course).
Reply Quote
Well seems demiwraith and notsofst covered the basic and advance tips for survival in HC for monks. So OP its up to you if you want to fallow the advice. I bid u good luck on your journey and may you enjoy it.
Edited by June#1776 on 2/5/2013 12:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
Start building your first level 60 gear set as soon as possible, either sniping ridiculous deals with buyouts at 1d11h, or buy bidding for very cheap gear (it's not like you need the gear immediately). I started with a shield, picking up a great the absolute best one I could afford and let that decide my resistance. Then I slowly built my gear around that as I leveled. The less you're playing in a day, the more time you have. If you play more than a few hours in a day, you can buy more time by rotating through all your characters. No sense in getting to 60 before you're ready with your gear.

Demi/notsofst

Thanks for the info...If all goes well I should at least hit lvl 50 this evening. Been farming Act3 Hell for items for my lower toons (plus found some items I probably undersold on AH) as well as collecting gold. I've been looking constantly at the AH on the shield...I definitely like your idea of the shield and building around the specific resistant stat to build on for OWE. Found a really good shield (Hallowed something, reduced requirement) I was short 20k so it got away (was at work so couldnt play but was cruising the AH for good deals). Hopefully another will show up.

This forum rocks! I've made some HC in game friends (via pub games, yes I know the dangers but figure everyone at my lvl is just tying to get to 60).

Was shocked this morning when a player asked me to help him take down Diablo in Normal (played my barb with him)...took my monk and the whole 3 battles took less than 2 mins. About 95% of the ppl I have played with have all been team players and watched each others backs...the other 5%, I just left the game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]