Diablo® III

Dueling Re-Named to Brawling

Community Manager
After reviewing feedback from the PTR, we've decided to rename dueling to brawling—a title we feel is much more fitting for the system. Rather than wait to announce this in the official patch notes, we wanted to let players know ahead of time, in part to reduce confusion and in part to explain the reasons behind the change.

While the system we designed for 1.0.7 was developed in order to give players a fun way to beat each other up in Diablo III, we've come to realize that "dueling" wasn’t the best name for it. Sure, it allows players to pummel, stomp, immolate, and hex fellow Nephalem (over and over again, if they so choose), but it's not a traditional one-on-one duel. It’s something much more wild and open-ended, where you can engage in 3-person and even 4-person free-for-all skirmishes with few restrictions. The system is all about letting players fight for the sake of fighting—you don’t need to worry about objectives, rewards, or scoring, and that’s exactly what we love about it. But again, that’s not really dueling; it’s brawling!

There's a lot of power in a name, and we think that the idea of a brawl more accurately describes the system we created. Heck, the NPC we added is even called Nek the Brawler, so we feel this re-branding must have been foretold in one of Deckard Cain’s prophecies. :)

This change will be reflected in the patch notes, as well as in all related game text fields once 1.0.7 ships. We’ve no further changes planned for brawling at this time, but we’re excited to see what kind of havoc players will wreak in the Scorched Chapel once the patch is released.
Reply Quote
potato pahtato
Reply Quote
tomato tamato
Reply Quote
Quarter Pounder with cheese. A Royal with cheese
Reply Quote
Haters gonna hate, potato's gonna potate
Reply Quote
View profile
I'm gonna go ahead and call it dueling, if you corporate types don't mind. Stop trying so hard to not be Diablo 2, it's kinda pathetic.
Reply Quote
this is important
Reply Quote
This would be on your priority list -.-
Reply Quote
Will we ever have a true dueling system, like we had in D2?

I realize there are greifing concerns, but why not just set it up so both players have to have a "hostile" status engaged in order to allow damage to count towards other players. Seems very simple to me.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
02/08/2013 11:58 AMPosted by BurningRope
I'm gonna go ahead and call it dueling, if you corporate types don't mind. Stop trying so hard to not be Diablo 2, it's kinda pathetic.

Most of the feedback we've been seeing from players has been in the context of what dueling was in Diablo II and how it exists in other games. Generally speaking, dueling in other games has always been something that you can do in the normal world at a moment’s notice (or at least initiate at a moment’s notice through a challenge). It’s something that only involves two people, and carries with it the expectation of formality and structure, and to a degree…fairness. That’s not really what dueling (now brawling) is about in Diablo III, and we want to make sure that the scope of the system isn't being misrepresented by its name.
Reply Quote
cool. now stop bsing us and give us some updates that are actually fun.
Reply Quote
View profile
02/08/2013 12:00 PMPosted by Lylirra

Most of the feedback we've been seeing from players has been in the context of what dueling was in Diablo II and how it exists in other games. Generally speaking, dueling in other games has always been something that you can do in the normal world at a moment’s notice (or at least initiate at a moment’s notice through a challenge). It’s something that only involves two people, and carries with it the expectation of formality and structure, and to a degree…fairness. That’s not really what dueling (now brawling) is about in Diablo III, and we want to make sure that the scope of the system isn't being misrepresented by its name.

I see. My apologies.

I just got home from a long shift and i'm a bit cranky.

There's a lot of excitement going around about 1.07.....I can't wait.
Reply Quote
Lylirra,

I hope, however long down the road, I will read your posts and be happy with a sequal to a childhood game. For now, everytime I see blue, I see a mis-representation of posts on serious topics that actually effect the game. Do your bosses really need RMAH? Is Blizzard hurting for money these days. Just fix the game and let the community know. I have no problem throwing you another sixty bucks for the game that I was promised two years ago.
Reply Quote
why don't you guys actually post on topics that are important? like our suggestions that will fix itemization.

do you guys even play this game?

"hey lets make a diablo sequal."
"great that sounds fun. we should totally put alot of time and effort on normal, nightmare, and hell mode progression"
"what about inferno, you know, the endgame? the reason people played d2 for 10 years?"
"uhh the what? screw it people will buy this game"

thats probably what your conversations in the office are like
Reply Quote
like seriously, just add a 7 dollar a month subscription fee and take out the rmah. if i wanted to play a pay to win game, i wouldnt pay 60 dollars for one. blizzard has really gone downhill
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 12:10 PMPosted by Zyron
Game is a brawler, rename it as well imo.

seriously, if you guys just redid diablo 2's graphics, added some treasure goblins and better mechanics, i would gladly pay 60 dollars for that. maybe throw in some new legendarys. holy hell how hard is your job
Reply Quote
Should of went with bawling, cause so many cries happen.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]