Diablo® III

Next upgrade on a strict budget?

Sorry, I know there are tons of these threads. But looking for some advice..

My budget is very limited (90 mill is all the gold I have in the world). There are a few things I want but with that budget can likely only afford one of them. I can farm MP2-3 with Goldskin and xp gear with little effort. Can do MP6-7 for key runs but it's quite slow. Any thoughts? Which of my wishlist items is the best bang for the buck?

Wishlist:

-Cere knife with OS/CD/LS/1k DPS and black damage (cheapest one I've ever seen is 100 mil)
-Tal's amulet with at least the same or more CC/CD as my current ammy
-Pox with min 5% CC (without vit these are going for 60-70 mil minimum
-Zuni boots with AR, while keeping the current int/vit stats on my current set (easily 120-150 mil)
-Better blackthorne's with a high vit or int roll and keeps the AR
-Lacuni's with CC/int/AR. I have a cheap one I use for speed farming but it has no CC and low AR/int

Any thoughts on which to go after first would be appreciated. Or if there is something more critical I should be looking at.

Thanks!
Edited by Vorador#1326 on 2/11/2013 8:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
My 2c:

• Tals Ammy: People on a budget should never buy this item with CC, it's almost always overpriced. Your existing ammy is actually really good with that huge max damage modifier.
  • Zuni boots: You'll spend 1/2 your savings to get 50AR and do no help to your DPS. Skip this one for now
  • Pox: Cheapest 4cc is 35m. 4.5cc is 47m. 5cc is 80m. So, the sweet spot here is 4.5cc. Going for one of these isn't bad IF you can get some more CD through an open socket on your weapon. Otherwise, too much crit w/out enough CD is pointless
  • Blackthorne's: Yours aren't great but it seems like DPS is your biggest concern. You could spend everything you've got an not improve by much here, I'd skip it for now.
  • Lacunis: Sticking with BT pants means you'll need to buy lacuni's eventually to get to 24% movement speed. You'll probably see a DPS increase by getting a relatively cheap 4.5cc lacuni here, but you'll break the bank if you want AR. Tough call on whether to spend for this. If you can snipe a great deal I'd say go for it, otherwise wait for 1.0.7 and maybe get lucky crafting a BiS bracer.
  • Weapon: I bet you could spend 50m and find a weapon to out DPS your existing one, while switching to black damage, keeping lifesteal, and getting an OS + int. Think mace,axe, or spear. Forget EF, they are overpriced and way outta your pricerange. Right now there's a 1106 axe with 100+int, lifesteal, and a OS for 39m buyout.

Conclusion: It's probably better to buy 1 (2 max) big item than a bunch of little upgrades. You'll have less depreciation (so the item keeps it's value more) and feel better about that slot being "done" for the time being. Plus it saves you from having to do a million searches in the AH as you scramble to find bargains for every slot, which in turns saves your sanity :)
Edited by PurgatoryZ#1776 on 2/11/2013 8:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
Thank you very much, this was quite helpful! I was coming to the same conclusion about Tal's.. found one that had 6% damage, 250 int and 5.0% CC.. I still would've lost about 5k dps.

So in regards to the weapon, maybe I've been going about it incorrectly. You think I can upgrade DPS by finding a weap that has OS, but no base CD? The 70% gem is pretty expensive (for me lol) and would only be a net gain of 1%. Even if I got the 100% CD gem, that still only offers +31% CD over what I have now, which is good obviously but would also break the bank and I didn't think would be game changing. Am I wrong in assuming I need OS AND CD? Will the black damage and minor CD increase make that much of a difference?

Thanks again!
Reply Quote
Sadly the added black damage doesn't outperform CD in the long run. I have a 6% tals ammy 8% zuni boots and even when I 6% SOJ this manaj was better then my higher base damage black weapon by a significant margin. It comes at a price though this dagger was not cheap, but I think in the long run it should be the weapon you go with.
Reply Quote
02/11/2013 12:07 PMPosted by Jimbob
Sadly the added black damage doesn't outperform CD in the long run. I have a 6% tals ammy 8% zuni boots and even when I 6% SOJ this manaj was better then my higher base damage black weapon by a significant margin. It comes at a price though this dagger was not cheap, but I think in the long run it should be the weapon you go with.

That's what I thought. Sad face. Manajuma's with a socket and 900+ dps are too rich for me at this point. Still, thanks :)
Reply Quote
100% agree with Jimbob & Purg I saved like Scrooge on steroids to get my knife.
Laid down 9 digits for it but by far the best route to take - aim for the best upgrade for that slot and devote time to get that one item then move to the next one.

Of course look out for other upgrades and you might snag a bargain, my ammy was only 8mil.
Reply Quote
I took the other way. Was rolling with Manaj with 99% base crit & socket and I replace it with a higher dps Butcher Sickle with lower base crit. I did notice any difference in crit amount from both weapons.

The beauty is, I get to pull in runners and stun them with my Sickle which is awesome because I get both defense (stun) and offense (pull in for bears rush) from 1 weapon!
Reply Quote
I as well would like to know my next upgrade
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]