Diablo® III

Three hours in: Time to make judgements

1. Cyclone Strike is awesome. I'm using it n lower MP for the forseeable future. Using the reduced spirit rune on both Dashing strike and Cyclone strikes, I can move quickly from point A to point B with fewer enemies escaping my reach. These two skills actually do enough damage that you aren't upset you took your finger off of Thunderclap.

2. Demonic essence is dropped too frequently. I'm getting these faster than 1 per 20 rare, which is what it takes to craft the Vit gloves rercipe I found. I'm breaking down all my rares and it's the rares that are the bottleneck. What the heck am I going to do with all this DE?

3. I crafted gloves with 306 Vit, 73 Dex, armor, lighning resist, 7.0% CC, and 25% CD. Those specific stats were spread out across three different gloves, but hey, what can you do. I'll probably be crafting these for the foreseeable future, os I'll let you know what sort of distribution I get of if I get any good ones.

4. I still can't seem to get any WoL builds working. I have to run both quickening and Inner storm to use WoL and still keep my buffs up and it doesn't seem to be worth it. But I'm using an axe and shield. Maybe someone with more CC and dual wielding daggers is having a blast with it.

I think we're going to see a huge increase in the value of IAS and faster weapons with these spirit spenders now becoming so much more useful.

Overall, pretty good patch.
Reply Quote
One more thought: I don't usually use Inna's 4-piece set. I had thought that with snapshot going away that the set might lose some value. Re-casting SW used to cost me about one overawe spam, so I wasn't to concerned. With all multiple spirit spenders actually being used, there more value to me in keeping SW running for free then there was befiore.

I'm having trouble keeping it running if I use Cyclone Strike and Dashing Strike a lot. Since I don't see myself using Inna's 4-piece, I'm actually considering the 20-second rune in Inferno for the first time ever.
Reply Quote
View profile
2. Demonic essence is dropped too frequently. I'm getting these faster than 1 per 20 rare, which is what it takes to craft the Vit gloves rercipe I found. I'm breaking down all my rares and it's the rares that are the bottleneck. What the heck am I going to do with all this DE?

Use it for amulets. I crafted about 25 so far and the bottleneck there is the DEs.
Reply Quote
I think exploding palm is awesome too! And i felt mp5 is much easier than before.
Reply Quote
I am having fun. I replaced Cyclone Strike with WoL, so am semi-spamming Mystic Ally, SSS, Overawe and the bell as needed. I know it sounds heavy in the spending, but it is working out pretty well actually, I will likely swap CS back and forth with WoL depending on what I am doing.

And I kicked the hubby's !@# a few times in 'brawling' too. I seem to be quicker on the draw and can one shot him with the bell or SSS, but if I miss he can take me out XD Though I owned his barb with my wiz :P
Reply Quote
EP-EB with the low cost bells is viable for me in MP8. Which is nice as it's imo the most fun build we have.

But, it's still not comparable to just running with the regular cookie cutter. Resource generation is still bad even switching to quickening. They nerf a good build for no good reason. They buff other skills but they still are not comparable to the same old. Combo strike cookie cutter is still best but it is just weaker.

This makes no sense. Niether cookie cutter or combo strike were op by any means.

Monks now have no 'spec' that is comparable to hota, zdog, CM, bears, or gloom.
Edited by adm0ni#1887 on 2/13/2013 4:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
If you had saved up/bought mats, then Demonic Essence would be your bottleneck.
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 08:07 PMPosted by Demiwraith
1. Cyclone Strike is awesome. I'm using it n lower MP for the forseeable future. Using the reduced spirit rune on both Dashing strike and Cyclone strikes, I can move quickly from point A to point B with fewer enemies escaping my reach. These two skills actually do enough damage that you aren't upset you took your finger off of Thunderclap.

this has been used way before CS got buffed.

The CSDS Monk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAYw1Bu5BBM

this is from morionic, who has vanished from this game about 3 months ago. highly recommend this build. fast and fun.

Agreed with Stan. Ammy, Gloves and Shoulders are very worth crafting. Seeing that the primary stats can exceed 300 on each of these. (No more ugly vile wards?)
To get the top notch crafts, you actually need to do it many times over. trifecta+all res gloves, quadfecta ammy, etc.
Edited by prawnstar#1239 on 2/13/2013 3:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
Ironically, I find that demonic essences don't drop often enough - they are the bottleneck if you have been building up a stash of crafting mats since the announcement was made.

I have been splitting the demonic essences I have found between amulets and bracers. It is far more easier to get something usable (read: with crit-chance) for the latter than the former. I have rolled a reasonable one that I have on my DH - at over 300 dex and 9 crit-hit-chance it is definitely not shabby at all.

I have not tried gloves - perhaps I will attempt that once I roll an amulet similar to the one I am wearing.
Reply Quote
I went from MP5 to MP7 with this patch on my Monk Sprirt Regen is VEEEEERY important now. I think we need a more attractive passive for spirit regen like our dodge passive that increases 30% of your crit chance. Something like Spirit regen increased by 30% of your Crit Chance. 40% crit chance would give you 12 Sprirt Regen.

We need something that Synergizes with Attacking for Spirit. Stack this with gear with Spirit Regen and this could really become like the barbarian HOTA build for use. WoL is so good but spamming it is nigh impossible currently.
Reply Quote
02/13/2013 03:56 AMPosted by prawnstar

this has been used way before CS got buffed.

The CSDS Monk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAYw1Bu5BBM

this is from morionic, who has vanished from this game about 3 months ago. highly recommend this build. fast and fun.

Agreed with Stan. Ammy, Gloves and Shoulders are very worth crafting. Seeing that the primary stats can exceed 300 on each of these. (No more ugly vile wards?)
To get the top notch crafts, you actually need to do it many times over. trifecta+all res gloves, quadfecta ammy, etc.

No more snapshot. Have to go with straight weapon use now. Still fun build but overall damage output is not what it was.
Reply Quote

4. I still can't seem to get any WoL builds working. I have to run both quickening and Inner storm to use WoL and still keep my buffs up and it doesn't seem to be worth it. But I'm using an axe and shield. Maybe someone with more CC and dual wielding daggers is having a blast with it.

Overall, pretty good patch.

I am running a twin dagger setup and can vouch for the "having a blast" sentiment. I use Quickening and Infused with light as my active spirit generators with Exalted Soul as my passive generator. With this setup I melt through MP5.

I also went with Submission vice Overwawe as I found it more economical, spirit wise. Sure I could spam Overawe but at MP5 and with a decent amount of AS, Submission is a win-win as it normally runs at around 27-30% based on my setup.

As for crafting, the bracers I'm wearing were my first marginally successful craft. Prior to that I crafted 6 ammys and 20 gloves, all very lackluster. I will probably go back to my Lacunis but left the equipped for illustration purposes.

In the two hours I played last night I gathered ~25 Demonic essences. I dont know if thats a good average or not but I had no issue with it.
Edited by Edward#1570 on 2/13/2013 6:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 08:07 PMPosted by Demiwraith

I'm liking Cyclone Strike a lot more now but since the damage increase was so high, I had to readjust MP's because I was killing too quickly by the time they were sucked in. On my build, I suck them in, hit with Exploding Palm/EB and SW and they all blow up in one group.
2. Demonic essence is dropped too frequently.

I disagree. I still think the nerf was too severe and I even readjusted my strategy by crafting only 1 type of item and saving up DE's
4. I still can't seem to get any WoL builds working. I have to run both quickening and Inner storm to use WoL and still keep my buffs up and it doesn't seem to be worth it.
WoL favors 2H moreso than it does dual wielding or 1H. This is because of three things:

1. Fist of Thunder - Quickening
2. Breath of Heaven - Infused with Light
3. The Guardian's Path

All 3 combined together, you will never run out of spirit for WoL. Reason being. Guardian's Path increases spirit generated when using a 2H weapon. Breath of Heaven - Infused with Light increases spirit generated by 8 from spirit generating attacks. FoT:Q generates spirit on crit per target

FoT = 6
BoH: IWL = 8
Quickening = 15
TGP = +35%
Total = 39

And this is only for ONE ATTACK. Imagine a full FoT and if FoT crits on the 3rd attack (15 spirit per target!!) Let's say you crit all 3 stages and the last crit was against 3 monsters. You're looking at 39 + 39 + 80 = 158. That's your whole bar right there. Keep in mind that you've only done 1 FoT combo and BoH is on a 30s cooldown.

Suffice it to say, Wave of Light is best used on a 2H build. I believe I mentioned this in the Monk passive thread when Shade said DW > S/B > Skorn was better for Bells, which was incorrect. In addition, I had a working WoL build posted on my TR thread so all this trial and error could have been avoided in the first place.
Reply Quote
All 3 combined together, you will never run out of spirit for WoL. Reason being. Guardian's Path increases spirit generated when using a 2H weapon. Breath of Heaven - Infused with Light increases spirit generated by 8 from spirit generating attacks. FoT:Q generates spirit on crit per targetFoT = 6BoH: IWL = 8Quickening = 15TGP = +35%Total = 39

You have a 100% crit chance?
Reply Quote
Jupiter's ****ing c**k
Edited by speedforce#1637 on 3/22/2013 1:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
quickening is really powerful at high crit chance levels.... i dont know if i will be going back to thunderclap anytime soon.

coupled with good spirit regen and bells are extremely powerful.
Reply Quote
I have really liked pretty much everything about the patch that I have tested. The additional pick up radius has been helpful. I already loved Cyclone Strike and Dashing Strike, and they just made them better. I never had enough open skill slots to snapshot Sweeping Wind, so the Sweeping Wind change was a buff for me. Public games with Monster Power was a great addition. I'm extremely happy.

Only negative I have is that Plague stacking may be a bit too high. It isn't the end of the world or anything, but it can get annoying just finding some place to stand.
Reply Quote
I must be the only Monk that doesn't like using bells.

Sigh.
Reply Quote
I must be the only Monk that doesn't like using bells.

Sigh.

I love the attack itself. I hate that it breaks my attack animation. I haven't found it effective on higher MP (6-10) versus anything else. Especially Ally. God Ally feels nice now that she doesn't die.

I'm serious guys. My ally never dies. She even kites with that water wave thing :O
Reply Quote
All about Quickening + Dashing Strike yo.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]