Diablo® III

Three hours in: Time to make judgements

In case you hadn't noticed, set bonuses are back on the website again.
Reply Quote
Swapping out CW/Mangle, BoH/BW and MoC/Conviction for Rising Tide, Empowered bell and Submission has increased my dps by 20-25%, as measured by tanking Azmo on MP5. It's great. Plus, being able to vanish legendaries means I'm now free to use a Vile Ward. Double great!
Reply Quote
View profile
I must be the only Monk that doesn't like using bells.

Sigh.

Still cuttin the cookies with my 1.0.6 stencil what what!
Reply Quote
Ironically, I find that demonic essences don't drop often enough - they are the bottleneck if you have been building up a stash of crafting mats since the announcement was made.

I have been splitting the demonic essences I have found between amulets and bracers. It is far more easier to get something usable (read: with crit-chance) for the latter than the former. I have rolled a reasonable one that I have on my DH - at over 300 dex and 9 crit-hit-chance it is definitely not shabby at all.

I think you're all wrong.

The bottleneck is most certainly the fact that the plans haven't dropped for me yet. I haven't been able to craft a single thing!
Reply Quote
02/13/2013 07:29 AMPosted by speedforce
You have a 100% crit chance?
No, but it's better than yours. And it's enough to generate the kind of spirit I'm talking about. Before you even think about talking down to me and my builds first of all, go get sufficient gear and try it out for yourself. Then if you got something further to say I'd like to hear it. I bet you wouldn't.

He's completely self-found. None of his gear is from the RMAH or GAH. See how good your Monk would be if all you used was drops.

More to the point, Vrkhyz has done some of the most top-notch theory-crafting and number-crunching on these forums. He's easily up there with Druin, Morionic, and the other members with high-end gear that have really shown what Monks can do. His gear is his playstyle choice. His math is pretty much untouchable.
Reply Quote

Sigh.

There are at least 2 of us :P
Reply Quote
02/13/2013 07:29 AMPosted by speedforce
You have a 100% crit chance?
No, but it's better than yours. And it's enough to generate the kind of spirit I'm talking about. Before you even think about talking down to me and my builds first of all, go get sufficient gear and try it out for yourself. Then if you got something further to say I'd like to hear it. I bet you wouldn't.

Your very empty bravado aside, this sequence isn't going to generate 39 spirit per attack if your crit rate isn't 100%. Your crit chance is 42%, which means your own rate is about two-thirds what you claim it is, just accounting for CHC. But Infused with Light has a 15-second cool-down, not the 30-second cool-down you mentioned, so you're not getting the full 8 spirit per hit from that, either. This means that you're generating roughly half of that 39 spirit per attack. And your three-mob example assumes 5 crits (not 3) to come up with 158 spirit. At your CHC, that's going to happen every 75 cycles or so. Good luck with that.

If you're going to extol the virtues of a certain build and support it with numbers, try using the right numbers. It's only fair to everyone else. If you're going to look at my gear and draw conclusions about my playing ability, you're welcome to gear-swap with me the next time the PTR is up.
Reply Quote

Sigh.

Three of us. Not the world's biggest bell fan.
Reply Quote
<3 vrkhyz

nice work
Reply Quote
View profile

Three of us. Not the world's biggest bell fan.

Sigh.

Still cuttin the cookies with my 1.0.6 stencil what what!

cough cough
Reply Quote
meh
Edited by Piffle#1874 on 2/13/2013 9:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/13/2013 09:20 AMPosted by RayvinAzn

He's completely self-found. None of his gear is from the RMAH or GAH. See how good your Monk would be if all you used was drops.

More to the point, Vrkhyz has done some of the most top-notch theory-crafting and number-crunching on these forums. He's easily up there with Druin, Morionic, and the other members with high-end gear that have really shown what Monks can do. His gear is his playstyle choice. His math is pretty much untouchable.

Ironically, I find that demonic essences don't drop often enough - they are the bottleneck if you have been building up a stash of crafting mats since the announcement was made.

I have been splitting the demonic essences I have found between amulets and bracers. It is far more easier to get something usable (read: with crit-chance) for the latter than the former. I have rolled a reasonable one that I have on my DH - at over 300 dex and 9 crit-hit-chance it is definitely not shabby at all.

I think you're all wrong.

The bottleneck is most certainly the fact that the plans haven't dropped for me yet. I haven't been able to craft a single thing!

I agree, I haven't gotten the plans... got 3 plans for gems though and I got like 17 demonic essence... so I got bored and bought the Archon chest (dex) plan from the little girl :)
Reply Quote
I can't wait to actually get on and play tonight. I messed around with a crazy combo last night on the Fields of Slaughter, but I didn't like it much:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aeTSfQ!bUX!YbcYZZ

(Dunno if I did that right.)

Anyway, I'm sure some of it was non-optimal, some of my dislike was for the playstyle, some was for testing it in the FoS first thing, and some was leftover poker frustration. Anyway, I'm going to get on tonight for a bit and start tweaking my build for real.
Reply Quote
View profile
im finding that plans drop really well on mp0, cough* tempest rush *cough
but demonic essence drop on mp0 is terrible
3 runs and approx. 1hr to 1hr 15minutes later ive had
6 plans drop but only 6 demonic essences

and at speedforce dial it back a lil dude, its a game
Edited by SteelPhantom#1820 on 2/13/2013 11:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile

It seems to me we are entering into an era where there is a VERY large difference in maxing xp/hr and maxing loot/hr or DE/hr.

I am getting ~30 DE's per hour but my xp/hr doing MP5 VotA would be TERRIBLE.

TR on MP0 or 1 will still be, by far (guessing) the best xp/hr but it will no longer be most efficient to farm MP0 for loot.

I see this is a HUGE upgrade because now people have to make a choice AND people who do get to plvl100 get rewarded by getting to play different content without suffering an opportunity cost! :D

<3 1.0.7

-Druin, the happy monk
Reply Quote
Plagued, molten, arcane, desecrator packs are now the worst combination.

The reflects damage affix is now pretty much a joke.
Reply Quote
View profile
Molten is a joke too. Plague got a big buff though iirc.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Why is mp0 not the best for loot now? Just in reference to DE's?
Reply Quote

It seems to me we are entering into an era where there is a VERY large difference in maxing xp/hr and maxing loot/hr or DE/hr.

I am getting ~30 DE's per hour but my xp/hr doing MP5 VotA would be TERRIBLE.

TR on MP0 or 1 will still be, by far (guessing) the best xp/hr but it will no longer be most efficient to farm MP0 for loot.

I see this is a HUGE upgrade because now people have to make a choice AND people who do get to plvl100 get rewarded by getting to play different content without suffering an opportunity cost! :D

<3 1.0.7

-Druin, the happy monk

I have not been keeping track, but running TR on MP 1 I was usually getting 2-3 demonic essences. That works out to about 10-15 an hour, but I also go slower than you in general so I dunno! :P

edit: Though that was before they hotfixed stuff. Haven't gotten many at all since then.

Also, Onyxia seems to be deep breathing more often, so keep an eye out for that!
Edited by Piffle#1874 on 2/13/2013 2:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Moar Deep Breaths? Dat is OP!!

02/13/2013 01:44 PMPosted by Muckery
Why is mp0 not the best for loot now? Just in reference to DE's?

Bells do so much damage that you are wasting it on MP0-3 if you have a pretty good Skorn.

My MP1 VotA clear speed and my MP5 VotA clear speed is nearly identical.

Because of this, higher MP levels will result in more loot without a drastic loss in clear-speed.

I would be very surprised if anyone was getting DE's at a much faster rate than me (~35 per hour) and I am doing that on MP6.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]