Diablo® III

Mantra of Conviction: Overawe vs Submission

Since they buffed Wall of Light in this patch I don't see myself spamming MoC: Overawe as much. Do you guys think using Submission would help with damage output if I'm not spamming Overawe?
Reply Quote
View profile
If you're by yourself, yes.
If you're in a group, no.
Reply Quote
yes it will help with your damage output, idk what this guy is walking about.

im not going to crunch numbers, but since you're using a 2h anyways, your bell is going to hit for so much, that the downtime of not using the bell added with conviction rune *added dps* --compared to using overawe duel wield spam --- should make up for the fact.

does it come close in real overall damage done? no idea, nor do i want to do the math to try to find out.

but if YOU can see and feel a difference in speed of killing, then you build works for you.

so to re-cap, yes it helps your damage out, can it compare? ask a diablo math nerd.
Reply Quote
Assuming the Targets actually hit by WoL then overawe would do more dmg

going to ignore crits.
lets say you do 100k dmg at 1 aps
bell does 925% dmg

thats 925k per a bell
with overawe that would be 1147k dmg
with submission that would be 1036k bell dmg+ 13.44k or 1049.44k dmg per a second
a 9.2% increase in dmg

at 2 aps
overawe would be 2294k dmg
submission would be 2072 + 13.44 = 2085.44
a 10% increase in dmg

Ofc there's spirit regen to consider and the fact that overawe would effect a larger range of targets.

And since i'm not too sure on thunderclap mechanics, i'm going to assume that the 35% dmg effects your target.
so 145% dmg at 1aps would mean
FOT;TC hits 179.8k a hit with overawe or
162.4 +13.44 = 175.84 with submission
which is only a 2.2% difference, although that would increase with more aps

So overawe would without a doubt be more single target dps.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
For some reason I don't think this is good math
Reply Quote
I was going to switch to submission because the process of spamming overawe then hitting with a bell was very clunky for me. The time to finish the whole move required me to stand in one spot too long. I seem to remember saying out loud at one point “Could you PLEASE stop casting molten lava under me while I’m trying to do this”. The demons didn’t seem to want to cooperate so I’m going to go with submission where I can set it and forget it for a while and just concentrate on bringing down some bells.
Reply Quote
I really like the idea of Submission rune. The problem i have with it is if you come across a group of reflect dmg mobs, as long as you can out heal the dmg being reflected then i would say your ok to use submission. If you cant you are better off running overwe
Reply Quote
02/13/2013 10:57 AMPosted by Arahant
I was going to switch to submission because the process of spamming overawe then hitting with a bell was very clunky for me. The time to finish the whole move required me to stand in one spot too long. I seem to remember saying out loud at one point “Could you PLEASE stop casting molten lava under me while I’m trying to do this”. The demons didn’t seem to want to cooperate so I’m going to go with submission where I can set it and forget it for a while and just concentrate on bringing down some bells.

LOL. I really enjoyed this response. As much as I love the damage output that comes from activating Overawe with a following 4 Wall of Light spams, it felt a bit much for me. I feel like using Overawe for MP5 or higher seems to be better while using Submission for MP4 and lower seems to fit quite nice. Any other opinions? :o
Reply Quote
02/14/2013 11:53 PMPosted by p4htr41ck
LOL. I really enjoyed this response. As much as I love the damage output that comes from activating Overawe with a following 4 Wall of Light spams, it felt a bit much for me. I feel like using Overawe for MP5 or higher seems to be better while using Submission for MP4 and lower seems to fit quite nice. Any other opinions? :o

I suspect that WoL spammers aren't getting as much bang for their buck as they might think, given the tripartite nature of WoL's main damage. It's just a theory at this point, but I think it's looking pretty strong.
Reply Quote
Nice use of the word "tripartite."

(I didn't have to look it up only because I already know how the bell's damage works, and thus the "tri" portion of the word explained its meaning)

Vrkhyz am smrt, yo.
Reply Quote
i just hit overawe and spam bells during the 3sec buff. can get off 3 or so before the buff is gone with exalted soul... !@#$ dies fast.
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 09:49 AMPosted by overg

I'd hold back if I were in the Barb forums. Or General Dis.
Reply Quote

(I didn't have to look it up only because I already know how the bell's damage works, and thus the "tri" portion of the word explained its meaning)

Vrkhyz am smrt, yo.

You're a smarter man then me... I looked it up.

(Current score in the smrts department: Vrkhyz > overg > Demiwraith)
Reply Quote
I like Submission because stacking IAS increases it's damage. When you are surrounded and using Submission with sufficient IAS you can effectively double (or more) your base DPS. With LS you will also continuously leech life off of the mob until they are dead. Want to help someone powerlevel? Use submission and you'll barely ever need to hit the attack button in normal or nightmare. Submission with LS can help you detect RD mobs in different rooms in you are near the wall, as well.
Reply Quote

Vrkhyz am smrt, yo.

You're a smarter man then me... I looked it up.

(Current score in the smrts department: Vrkhyz > overg > Demiwraith)

Vrkhyz > overg > Demiwraith > p4htr41ck* hahahaa. I'm quite an intelligent man but making me look up what tripartite meant gave my brain quite a shake. It's not often I get to meet individuals with diction that's more polished than the average "flamer" on these forums. :p
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]