Diablo® III

Diablo3 is not a failure.

(Locked)

90 Night Elf Warrior
9 million copies sold long after so many people have bashed it to insane levels.
The personal attacks on Jay wilson in my opinion went beyond any common sense or reason.
And I am having way more fun with d3 now then I did with d2. All the classes are a blast to play.
Drop rates are sweet now. Legendaries with the right amount of mf and in 4 person groups drop alot.
And if you want to see the most drops Group play is recommended which is awesome.

Whatever new game Jay works on I look forward to it. Trolls be damned.
The majority of sales were before the game was released or within the first week before people knew better. Also the fact that with Diablo's/Blizzards name on the box, it was going to sell that much regardless. You can't argue that. The personal attacks however I will agree with are unwarranted.
Usually good games don't require constant justification and reminders that it "isn't a bad game." For nearly a year now, people have been making posts trying to defend this trash.
Agree with Utukka

I am not sure if OP played this game the first few months after release but this game had a lot of problems. It should not have been released the way it did.

Sure, you can say all you want how Diablo 3 is good now, nearly a year after release, but people don't want to waste their time and money on something that was definitely released as "beta"
OP, please change title to "Diablo 3 is not a financial failure"

I'm sure you must realize(or maybe not) that when people say D3 is fail, they are not talking about financially.
02/17/2013 01:11 PMPosted by Utukka
The majority of sales were before the game was released or within the first week before people knew better. Also the fact that with Diablo's/Blizzards name on the box, it was going to sell that much regardless. You can't argue that. The personal attacks however I will agree with are unwarranted.

3.6 million before release, another 6.4 million by the end of July 2012, and 2 miilion more during the rest of 2012 for a total of 12 million licenses sold by the end of 2012...

DIII stands on its own quite well it would seem.
People have waited Diablo 3 for a long time, when blizzard release it not only hardcore gamers, tons of people caught on the hype bought it too. The "battle.net only" also reduce piracy significantly, It's very possible that even blizzard didn't expect such sell, the launch day was hectic.

The number of people buying it, also mean there are too wide range of preference to cover. So there are lots of complaint, lack of communication make it worse. The hype changed from "play diablo 3" to "hate Jay Wilson".

The personal attack is totally unwarranted like bunch of teenager that hate because hating is cool. To be honest, I still feel slight shame and regret that i didn't defend Wilson more in forum.
You don't need to feel shame for that, there are a lot of idiots on here. Real life threats are included in the "terms" at the header of this site anyways, it is really not your responsibility, and blizzard is generally on top of that stuff.

The thing that frustrated me about Jay Wilson was his infamous tweeting sessions. It seemed extremely unprofessional. Seems like a jerk thing to do, especially with all things considered with this game.

I have no problems with the server issues, that is almost to be expected anyways with a large scale "online only" launch. But the game itself had some major problems. The best part of the game was playing through up to inferno and actually finding upgrades every now and again...instead of never finding those upgrades later on.
Edited by KeyserSöze#1760 on 2/17/2013 1:34 PM PST
02/17/2013 01:20 PMPosted by DudleyDR

It sure does, and not in a good way. When all you concentrate to defend this game is it's sales, then you're just proving everyone else's point that this game was a pure money-grab by blizzard.

If you claim this game is perfect, why are the devs agreeing that the game could be better? Or why have there been MAJOR changes to the game since release? They even concurred that there really was no end-game. They FAILED to produce a Team-Deathmatch style PvP like they promised. They slapped in some "Brawling" which they said would NEVER be in the game.

This is definitely NOT a success in a lot of peoples eyes. Financial success, sure. But that is it. One big Money-grab.
02/17/2013 01:20 PMPosted by DudleyDR

3.6 million before release, another 6.4 million by the end of July 2012, and 2 miilion more during the rest of 2012 for a total of 12 million licenses sold by the end of 2012...

Do you have a graph of this or some data? It would be interesting to see, since people have been hating on it since day 1 (May 15th). If there were only 3.6 million presales, I would guess the bulk of those were WoW subscribers with the annual pass. There were about 12 million playing WoW at the time and still around 10 million, so it's reasonable to assume many of them figured they might as well.

If the bulk of the non-annual pass sales took place AFTER the game was released and everybody declared what a terrible game it was, then you cannot simply attribute those to being a Blizzard game and sequel to D2. You might actually have to accept that some people had fun with it and recommended it.
The only people saying D3 has failed is the butthurt crowd from D2 that wanted the same game with nicer graphics. They are a whiny vocal minority that have a lot of spare time so they use it to spam this board with their garbage.

Most people acknowledge that D3 has problems but is a solid game that has good potential.
People have waited Diablo 3 for a long time, when blizzard release it not only hardcore gamers, tons of people caught on the hype bought it too. The "battle.net only" also reduce piracy significantly, It's very possible that even blizzard didn't expect such sell, the launch day was hectic.

The number of people buying it, also mean there are too wide range of preference to cover. So there are lots of complaint, lack of communication make it worse. The hype changed from "play diablo 3" to "hate Jay Wilson".

The personal attack is totally unwarranted like bunch of teenager that hate because hating is cool. To be honest, I still feel slight shame and regret that i didn't defend Wilson more in forum.

02/17/2013 01:33 PMPosted by KeyserSöze
You don't need to feel shame for that, there are a lot of idiots on here. Real life threats are included in the "terms" at the header of this site anyways, it is really not your responsibility, and blizzard is generally on top of that stuff.

Keys is right, Leoric. It was a virtual lynch mob, no one shouldn't have any regret or shame for not trying to stop a lynching at this age,

*grin* the age where a knight in shining armor stopping a lynch mob using his presence and conviction have long ended.

The Age of Heroes have long ended and passed.

Now is The Age of Sheeps, where you have to say Baa when everyone say Baa, or you're not a member of the flock.
Edited by ImmortalDuke#6485 on 2/17/2013 1:47 PM PST
I couldn't find a graph, but I was under the impression that the loot grind plateaud greatly at the end of hell mode and that is why a lot of people left. That will take a casual gamer a few months to do.

After the first week blizzard sold under 7 million copies however things dropped off after that, although I think there was a steady stream since sales reached 12 million by the new year.
02/17/2013 01:39 PMPosted by FromtheAshes
The only people saying D3 has failed is the butthurt crowd from D2 that wanted the same game with nicer graphics

That's what the SC people got. Why couldn't we? That IS what a lot of us wanted anyways. A game BUILT upon the foundation of D2. Not a whole entirely new game with different core mechanics and itemization.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7864756409
This is why ppl bought Diablo 3.
Game over.

^ What Zyron said.
Edited by VinnyI82#1302 on 2/17/2013 1:50 PM PST
02/17/2013 01:38 PMPosted by VinnyI

It sure does, and not in a good way. When all you concentrate to defend this game is it's sales, then you're just proving everyone else's point that this game was a pure money-grab by blizzard.

If you claim this game is perfect, why are the devs agreeing that the game could be better? Or why have there been MAJOR changes to the game since release? They even concurred that there really was no end-game. They FAILED to produce a Team-Deathmatch style PvP like they promised. They slapped in some "Brawling" which they said would NEVER be in the game.

This is definitely NOT a success in a lot of peoples eyes. Financial success, sure. But that is it. One big Money-grab.

Oh for Pete's sake. Get off your 'it's only a financial success' claptrap. License sales means users, users means success; or does that fact really go over your head?

No game ever made was 'perfect' so you can also lay off the hyperbole and other sensationalistic tactics you trolls like to use on thse fora.

Blizzard is making changes, some are liked, some are not. With millions of opinions, it is not surprising there just might be some contention...

I play the game - a lot. Not as much as some but more than many. I enjoy it, the people on my friends list enjoy it as well.

If the game is so horrible that it offends your very existence you really should take a step back, assess why that is, and maybe take a break from it all. Take some Zen classes and contemplate your navel or something in search of balance.

12 million people bought this game over the last (almost) year. That is success in any way you care to measure it that doesn't involve trolling or lying.
^
Zyron and Vinnyl are spot on. No one just wanted an updated graphics version of D2: LoD, but they stripped a lot of what made that game good and it shows.
That's what the SC people got. Why couldn't we? That IS what a lot of us wanted anyways. A game BUILT upon the foundation of D2. Not a whole entirely new game with different core mechanics and itemization.

Actually I agree, its obvious this is a Diablo game in name only. The lead designer didn't even play the other games, that is a major WTF imo. Though that doesn't mean D3 isn't a good game in its own right.
02/17/2013 01:39 PMPosted by Zoid

Do you have a graph of this or some data? It would be interesting to see, since people have been hating on it since day 1 (May 15th). If there were only 3.6 million presales, I would guess the bulk of those were WoW subscribers with the annual pass. There were about 12 million playing WoW at the time and still around 10 million, so it's reasonable to assume many of them figured they might as well.

If the bulk of the non-annual pass sales took place AFTER the game was released and everybody declared what a terrible game it was, then you cannot simply attribute those to being a Blizzard game and sequel to D2. You might actually have to accept that some people had fun with it and recommended it.

Quarterly and Annual reports from the Activision Investor website.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]