Diablo® III

Skill/stat trees and how it went wrong in d3

Anyone remember the skill/stat trees in diablo 2? Remember how nice it was to customize your own stuff? I do!

Actiblizz screwed up here. Big time. Damage modifiers used to be in the skill trees, and your stat points. Sure there were a few + to skills items, but the bulk of your damage came from where YOU decided to place skills and stats.

Fast forward to d3, and we find damage modifiers on most gear slots. This means 99% of what we find will be useless because the desirable affixes wont be there. Had the bulk of damage modifiers been in skills and stats, players would have much more flexibility in gear, and the gap between junk and good would be smaller. This means more usable items, and makes pay to win much less appealing.

Now comes the weapon failure. It used to be that physical damage classes were much more dependent on weapons than casters, as it should be. Magic damage got its power from the level of the skill, not the size of the weapon equipped. Now everything is mindlessly based on x% of weapon damage.

How the RMAH plays into it all. By taking the damage modifiers out of the skill/stat trees and putting them onto gear slots with rng determining the usability of the item, players are steered towards the auction houses, where they will likely end up needing to buy gold to buy gear, or simply buy items straight from the RMAH.

Yes, we found a lot of junk in d2. However, you were more likely to find a usable item. Heres why. Assuming a 6 affix roll in d2, the probability was much higher that your item was useful because there were less possible affixes to roll. By putting damage modifiers into the list of possible affixes, the chances of finding a useful item drop. This is how d3 is tuned to steer people to the RMAH.
Reply Quote
I agree with a lot of your points but there are other ways to pull it off other than skill trees.

Did D3 do it right? I dont think they did...

Is it fixable without adding skill trees? Yes...

Will they figure it out? Who knows...
Reply Quote
02/26/2013 12:59 PMPosted by Effinlag
Anyone remember the skill/stat trees in diablo 2? Remember how nice it was to customize your own stuff? I do!

yeah pretty much i still play on and off my HC sin on US EAST server, might kill ubbers some day (hope so) good adition you can reroll stats and skills sadly it came too late in game
Reply Quote
02/26/2013 01:52 PMPosted by OldSchool
I agree with a lot of your points but there are other ways to pull it off other than skill trees.

Yea. The skill tree isnt a must, but it worked in d2 better than what d3 is working with. I just feel they could have done a better job.

I dont hate the game, and it provides some enjoyment, but i definitely think theyve regressed with their latest installment of diablo.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]