Diablo® III

Game Director Jay Wilson a Liar?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Per game director Jay Wilson:
I can pretty much guarantee that if we decide to do a console version that we will look to support a pad on the PC
Source:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/09/21/blizzards-diablo-3-experiments-%E2%80%9Coh-this-feels-even-better-with-direct-control%E2%80%9D/

From a thread praising the arrival of D3 on PS3:
02/25/2013 02:59 PMPosted by Vaeflare
Vaeflare, do you have an ETA on when we can expect some developer discussion on how the console version of Diablo 3 will affect future PC design? i.e. Adding controller support to the PC, clarification whether we can expect an offline feature similar to the console version, cross-platform play, etc

While we think cross-platform play would be awesome, there are currently no plans to allow connectivity between PlayStation Network and Battle.net (this is pretty standard for most games that have PC and console support). As a result, the characters on your Battle.net account and PlayStation account will also remain separate.

In terms of allowing an analog controller hookup for the PC, we don’t have any plans for that kind of support right now. Similarly, since Diablo III for console was designed with a controller in mind, the PlayStation version of Diablo III will not support USB mice or keyboards.

Why the 180? Why a guarantee before you sold people the PC version and "we don't have any plans for that kind of support" now that you want to sell us a second version of the same game? I understand that people that want to use a controller for D3 are probably in the minority, but we do exist. Why did Jay Wilson lie?
Reply Quote
Jay Wilson doesn't work on D3 anymore.
Reply Quote
...we will look to support...

Sounds pretty non-committal to me. Besides, since they have Mr. Wilson seated by a window counting boxcars now, anything he did or said can be disavowed by them going forward.
Reply Quote
Interesting...
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
This is why we're not told anything in advance--because if they do, it becomes etched in stone.

Who knows why Blizz decided not to follow through. There might have been technical reasons or it went against some game design. They just might not even have had the time.

However, the fact that you would destroy someone's character by calling him a liar over a freaking controller says an awful lot about you.

Jeeze Louise.
Reply Quote
Jay also said Diablo 3 would be fun, and that is probably the biggest lie in the video game industry.
Reply Quote
You have to remember, game development isn't just a single vision executed perfectly. Many, many people work on games and come to them with their own ideas of what should and shouldn't be. Wilson clearly would have pushed hard for a controller on the PC. The people left did not feel as strongly, so they didn't. That's not lying. That's just organizational change.

02/26/2013 06:53 PMPosted by Ryaskybird
This is why we're not told anything in advance--because if they do, it becomes etched in stone.

Also this.
Edited by Montag#1343 on 2/26/2013 7:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/26/2013 06:43 PMPosted by Unruhe
As a result, the characters on your Battle.net account and PlayStation account will also remain separate.

Nail in the coffin for PC D3 player.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Before the Blizzard Defense Force (tm) posts any more, I'm not saying controller support was "etched in stone." But, look again at the comments in my OP. To go from the statement in the PCGamer interview to the post from the GM is complete, utter, night-and-day difference.

And JW didn't say he was going to personally implement the support. He was the guy being interviewed. He said "we" and not "I" and regardless of whether or not he's there any more, it just seems like a major change in point of view.

Not the least of which, I feel like the blue post spits in the face of any PC gamer that was hoping to have controller support with D3. We're essentially being told to buy a second copy of the game to play with the input method we prefer.
Reply Quote
It is all about quarterly profits and keeping the shareholders happy.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Before the Blizzard Defense Force (tm) posts any more, I'm not saying controller support was "etched in stone." But, look again at the comments in my OP. To go from the statement in the PCGamer interview to the post from the GM is complete, utter, night-and-day difference.

And JW didn't say he was going to personally implement the support. He was the guy being interviewed. He said "we" and not "I" and regardless of whether or not he's there any more, it just seems like a major change in point of view.

Not the least of which, I feel like the blue post spits in the face of any PC gamer that was hoping to have controller support with D3. We're essentially being told to buy a second copy of the game to play with the input method we prefer.

Riiiight. So not only is Jay Wilson a liar, but Vaeflare is spitting in your face.

You know, there is a more mature way to express your desire to have controllers for the PC version. This, however, sounds like a teenage hyperbolic rant.

P.S. We at the BDF get nifty badges, a certificate (signed by Morhaime himself!) and a decoder ring. It's a great organization!
Reply Quote
why would you want to use a Pad for the PC? Your more accurate with the mouse.
Reply Quote
25 Blood Elf Priest
You know...when you develop software for a living a lot can happen in 18 months. Stuff happens. It's not lies necessarily, it's just stuff. It happens. You think you have a handle on something and then find out later that it breaks something else or doesn't work as well as your initial impression.

Seriously, it's not lies.

It's the nature of stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Riiiight. So not only is Jay Wilson a liar, but Vaeflare is spitting in your face.

You know, there is a more mature way to express your desire to have controllers for the PC version. This, however, sounds like a teenage hyperbolic rant.

P.S. We at the BDF get nifty badges, a certificate (signed by Morhaime himself!) and a decoder ring. It's a great organization!

Nothing teenage nor hyperbolic about it. Thanks for the thread bump, though!

02/26/2013 07:27 PMPosted by Sapphiretri
why would you want to use a Pad for the PC? Your more accurate with the mouse.

Because it's more comfortable? Because I spent a lot free time in my dorm playing console ARPGs (like the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance series and that EQ-themed one that was good until it bugged out to the point of being unplayable) with my friends? Because, to me, clickclickclickclickclick is the most floaty, unresponsive, and disconnected method I can think of to control a single character in a top-down videogame? Seriously, as far as my tastes go, click-to-move in an isometric PVE Co-Op ARPG is about as intuitve and fun as playing a competitive FPS on a controller. And that's fine -- some people like mindlessly clicking everything just like some people like playing shooters on a controller -- and the game doesn't HAVE to cater to me, but...

Blizzard is clearly developing support for my preferred method of control, and then flatly stated they are only selling it in a package that isn't the one I already bought, despite a pre-release interview that had strongly indicated the contrary.

I can very easily just keep not playing D3, like I haven't been since a few weeks after the game came out. But when I heard of the PS3/PS4 announcement, I actually got really excited, because I remembered that interview and thought maybe I could (finally) enjoy playing D3. The the about-face contained in that blue post dashed those hopes, and I'm just curious about what happened behind the scenes for such a dramatic turnaround.

"Guarantee we will look to support" turned into "We don't have any plans to support"

That's a big difference. They skipped right past "probably" and "maybe" and "perhaps in the future, after the console release"
Edited by Unruhe#1317 on 2/26/2013 10:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
I don't see why they don't support it.

According to J.W. D3 feels even better with a controller.

"With some of our early experiments in putting a direct control scheme into the game via a 360-like analogue controller, I've been 'Oh this feels even better, with direct control…'"

http://gosugamers.net/diablo/news/17003-jay-wilson-diablo-3-feels-even-better-with-a-controller
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]