Diablo® III

Move speed cap. Why?

Speed cap in an action game is kind of non-sense.
Reply Quote
The speed cap is not the problem - the base speed is. It's not speedy enough. It should be faster than the +25% movement speed is now.
Reply Quote
I think they should just increase everyone's base movement speed by like 10 or 15%, other than that the cap is fine. You can still go faster than 25% with skills/passives/shrines. It's no fun playing with people that run 3x your speed, if they removed the cap you'd be forced to use movement speed items to even keep up with people in your party.
Reply Quote
MS cap SUCKS badly.

Blizz, pretty please ? :)

We know its either to prevent constant rubberbanding with too fast MS or that you tried in a wrong way to limit player capacity to farm like crazy.

The game would be simply so much better, I remember Titan Quest where the base MS is slow as !@#$ like in D3, but with godly gear your zigzaging all over the place and thats tremendously fun.

May I add now that we know Wizards can have the highest efficiency at MP10 using TELEPORT 90% of the time ( not affected by MS in any way ), uncapping MS would not be game breaking for others classes.
Edited by toni#2352 on 3/3/2013 9:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
36% would be nice
Reply Quote
Increasing the base movement speed is the only viable solution to prevent people with boosted MS from leaving the entire party behind during multiplayer games.

Imagine that you have no MS boost and someone with +50% MS joins and kills everything ahead of you. You'd lose experience and gear that way, and your fun would be completely ruined because you'd be wandering around dungeons full of dead demons. In such an instance your only solutions would be to leave the game, vote kick the faster player, or play through different areas. None of those options make for a fun multiplayer experience.
Reply Quote
Imagine that you did NO damage and had NO MS and were whining that your allies had better thought out builds and spent time gaining MS and damage :( : ( :(

Wahhhhh!
Reply Quote
I think a decent compromise (maybe) would be to implement diminishing on anything over the cap. Just cut it in half if it goes over 12%.

So if you're at the MS cap, and you add an item that gives you 12% more... then you'd only get 6% more.

That way, adding MS items when you're capped wouldn't be a TOTAL waste... but it also wouldn't let you move TOO fast, which apparantly Blizzard is worried about.
Reply Quote
Then you play single player until your DPS is more on par with what is commonly seen in multiplayer. DPS is not part of this discussion, however.

MS should not be so divergent that multiple people in the same game feel like they are still playing a single-player game.
Reply Quote
What they will say that you won't buy:

They did not want to feel people to feel forced into movement speed in every slot in order to be the most efficient. Needing move speed would in this way harshly limit your choices.

A couple ideas you might buy:

Movement speed above 25% was thought to be too difficult to balance because it gave you too much ability to evade attacks. You'll notice how you often get hit by monster melee attacks even though you're nowhere near them, this was a way of enforcing gear checks. If you can dodge attacks with quick reactions and movement speed items then their job becomes much harder when designing monsters/challenges.

or

They specifically wanted to cap the rate at which you could farm as a way of slowing progress and making the game last longer.

or

Maybe a combination, or something else!
Reply Quote
I think the real reason why movement speed is so slow(and capped) is because the maps are actually extremely small compared to most games. By moving slower and grouping the mobs closer you have the illusion that the world is much bigger then it actually is, thus you do not notice how small it is. I think they did this to keep from over using textures and making terrain look too repetitive.
Reply Quote
03/03/2013 01:16 PMPosted by ChaosLeech
I think the real reason why movement speed is so slow(and capped) is because the maps are actually extremely small compared to most games. By moving slower and grouping the mobs closer you have the illusion that the world is much bigger then it actually is, thus you do not notice how small it is. I think they did this to keep from over using textures and making terrain look too repetitive.

Interesting idea. It is possible, I think my d2 speed barb could probably run through the act 2 desert in under a minute.
Reply Quote
03/03/2013 09:23 AMPosted by Presence
The speed cap is not the problem - the base speed is. It's not speedy enough. It should be faster than the +25% movement speed is now.

So true. Even at 24ms any character that can't further increase it's speed feels awfully slow. It's pretty silly to find myself in the situation where i deplete my discipline vaulting around just to make up for the lack of monsters or while backtracking, but damn it feels great whenever i hit a fleeting shrine. That's what your movement speed should be. Once it's over, we're back to crippled ms mode...
Reply Quote
03/02/2013 07:21 PMPosted by IllIllllIllI
I'm really lazy with following D3 updates, so this whole rant could completely misinformed, but is the MS cap still 25%? And if so, why does that exist?

We've never had an official response to my knowledge but I can easily venture a guess as to why.

Combat Balance:
This game revolves around cooldowns. If you can zip from mob to mob at 200% move speed you throw off the balance of skills. Skills with a short cooldown become more unbalanced compared to those with a long cooldown when you factor in move speed.

No move speed cap could also really hurt the games difficulty. Imagine if we could outrun 90% of the mobs in the game? This might promote gameplay that isn't particularly fun or healthy for the game.

I'm not saying I personally approve of the cap on move speed but I understand why it exists.
Reply Quote
03/03/2013 09:23 AMPosted by Presence

This, all characters should have 25% movement speed right away and THEN lets get it with items on top of it. Then the cap would be even no problem anymore.

The game feels to slow even with 26% movement speed which is the limit I think.

Or they should increase the mob density. Would work as well.

03/03/2013 02:15 PMPosted by babinro
I'm really lazy with following D3 updates, so this whole rant could completely misinformed, but is the MS cap still 25%? And if so, why does that exist?

We've never had an official response to my knowledge but I can easily venture a guess as to why.

Combat Balance:
This game revolves around cooldowns. If you can zip from mob to mob at 200% move speed you throw off the balance of skills. Skills with a short cooldown become more unbalanced compared to those with a long cooldown when you factor in move speed.

No move speed cap could also really hurt the games difficulty. Imagine if we could outrun 90% of the mobs in the game? This might promote gameplay that isn't particularly fun or healthy for the game.

I'm not saying I personally approve of the cap on move speed but I understand why it exists.

Moot point. The game IS already about removing cooldown effects or keeping them as low as possible. See WW/Nado builds, CM wizards etc. and many more.

I dont see how more movement speed would change anything here. Also if that is the real issue, then it shows again how silly the whole system around cooldowns is. I mean it already happens that you face several mobs but you dont have certain skills ready, unless you think its fun to stand around for 1:30 min every time you used Berzerker with some elite mob. I really dont get it why there are so many anoying CC effects, but only so few skills that can get around it. For the Barb its pretty much only Berzerker, hence why everyone and his mother is chosing insanity rune ...
Edited by CrniVuk#2227 on 3/3/2013 2:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
I think the reason is rubber banding.

Even at 20% rubber banding becomes quite an annoying issue.
Reply Quote
They should fix it then.
Reply Quote
The reason is simple: moving too fast causes black screen for some people with crappy connections. They can throw some random excuses (balance etc) for the cap, but explaining black screen is much harder.

In my opinion, they should set the cap at +120% max (that means 220% ms including all skills, shrine buffs and equipment) and remove the cap on items. That way, those without super fast movement speed can feel free to stack MS (wizard and WD) at the cost of DPS/EHP.
Reply Quote
Big numbers like that would probably make the dev's brains explode. Seriously though I TR at +49% run speed and there is no noticeable lag issues. The game can handle it Blizzard so remove that pos you call a speed cap!
Reply Quote
I hate the movement speed cap of 25%

25% is way too slow.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]