Diablo® III

Who is Travis Day

I feel like i have never heard his name until just recently. Is he one of the original developers? A recent add on? Jay Wilson's Replacement?.... anyways I do feel a glimmer of hope from this guy. I posted this at Diablofans.com ... got some pretty good info, thought I'd see what anyone knew here.
Reply Quote
Well, he was game designer, on "The Burning Crusade", Wrath of The Lich King" and "Cataclysm" WoW expansion, that much I know without looking him up on Google:)
Reply Quote
This guy seems to be on the right path, I read his post on Gosu's thread and the only thing that bothered me was that he wasn't able to understand quite well the concept of the "skill three" that Gosu presented.

Although he seems pretty neat for a Wilson's replacement.
Reply Quote
I'm pretty tired of hearing the "hes on the right track" comments about Blizz / devs / blues whatever.

I for one am ready to see changes.
Reply Quote
I don't want to pile on... I appreciate both the OP and Travis' reply...

BUT..

I heard the same thing over and over again in the Blue Post. Or maybe I imagined it.

"Time" or some iteration of we hope to impliment in the future...

My problem is these are basic concepts and how is it that this game shipped the way it did and now takes so long to both identify and them affect a change...???????

Many of these descrepancies are so obvious I simply can't understand how they passed muster in a conference room brainstorming session let alone a PTR or Beta Test.

I won't go on to list specific complaints but as a Wiz I want to point out one thing that completely summarizes my disappointment and frustration.

The 1.07 Buff to Wiz Skill Blizzard was changed from like 210% to 560% weapon damage. Now I may be wrong with numbers but am sure I'm close. And my point is just this. Nobody used that skill before the buff and nobody uses it after. They more than DOUBLED the damage and it's still not viable.

Now when I say nobody, don't go crazy on me. I don't mean it that way. But no really seroius high MP players use this skill and it just proves to me that they don't get it. I mean how can you double the effectiveness of a skill that nobody uses, PTR test it and STILL nobody uses it...???

I appreciate the reply to the OP... I really do. But I will never understand the way it's 7 major patches and 6+ months in and we still have a game so out of whack and character imbalace so badly developed...

I dunno... Maybe the will make more gold on the Console release and can hire more programmers to make more, better, changes faster...
Reply Quote
Then who is the permanent dev lead of d3?
Reply Quote
03/03/2013 06:21 PMPosted by sojuu
Then who is the permanent dev lead of d3?

Jason Regier.
Reply Quote
My problem with Travis Day is that, as a CURRENT D2 PLAYER he has just fed me another line along the 'You remember it differently from how it actually was' rubbish that Jay did. Just read his recent post on these forums. It's not only very condescending but it's also wrong. I think there's a real problem in Blizzard at the moment of acknowledging their earlier team that did such a brilliant job, with a game being played over a decade after it was released. At the moment, I can't see this happening with D3.
Reply Quote
Fix loot, make it more interesting, make the hunt fun and worthwhile by offering crazy affixes that make interesting new builds that previously wouldn't of worked and nobody complains again except for the gold seller spam.

Blizzard needs to quit kicking the can down the road when it comes to the games most important aspect to the players, the loot. Legendary's still don't feel legendary, rares are garbage 99.5% of the time, there is no point to use shields over dual wielding, 2h or offhand mojo/source.

Itemization needs to be number one priority.
Reply Quote
View profile
03/03/2013 07:19 PMPosted by Bolo
Itemization needs to be number one priority.

This, so much, this.
Reply Quote
Agreed that itemization needs to be priority. One thing I liked about D2 was that it was worth it to pick up a gray/white from time to time if it were a particular item, "Ancient Armor" for one, because it would sell for some decent gold. I know it's a little thing, but it made me care to read the item as opposed to keep an eye out for colors. Also LAN parties...

Still I like D3 and I want to see it improve and succeed. As of now it falls noticeably short to its predecessors, but I still find it enjoyable.
Reply Quote
03/03/2013 06:40 PMPosted by Zyron
Blizz needs to hire some NEW blood

No.... you are so wrong...

He is an example of NEW blood. What you are looking for is OLD blood.
Reply Quote
I certainly like what Travis Day has posted, but knowing there is a smart person on the bus isn't the same as knowing there is a smart person driving the bus.

Also, there has been a lot of talk about long term goals and we all know that "soon" means 6 months to a year. How far out does that put "long term"? :)
Reply Quote
After nearly a full year of talk, all that seems to happen is random abilities get random balance adjustments, minimising the successful farming builds.
All internal focus is clearly on the next expansion pack, which I suspect is going to be revealed at this year's BlizzCon, where I believe we can all guess that they'll cheerily tell us that all of our issues are going to be addressed within it's magical code.

Walk away man, this game is done.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
He mentioned that he would be posting a blog on itemization this week. Perhaps there will be examples, timelines and other concrete details.
Reply Quote
03/03/2013 08:56 PMPosted by Ryaskybird
examples

Lets hope.

timelines

It's Blizzard, so, not a chance.

concrete details

Would be nice!
Reply Quote
03/03/2013 04:37 PMPosted by Nikolai
I read his post on Gosu's thread and the only thing that bothered me was that he wasn't able to understand quite well the concept of the "skill three" that Gosu presented.

Initially I also wasn't able to understand what Gosu was saying, It took a clarification. To be honest, I think most players failed to understand what he said, but simply chose to go along with it and said "awesome". Some of the suggestions were indeed very good, but not all of them.
03/03/2013 04:37 PMPosted by Nikolai
Although he seems pretty neat for a Wilson's replacement.

Too early to say.
Although to be honest, he does seem a worthy replacement of Wilson. Worth in terms he's just as sneaky, plays good with words and plays dumb well enough.

My problem with Travis Day is the way he approached the situation.
If he was serious about posting, he would have stayed for at least a little while after his initial post and waited for the counter argument or the reply from Gosu (since he was the Original Poster) or someone else. Then he should have thrown a clarification in response and only then leave.

I know I can't expect a Game Designer to sit on the forums all day, but he should have given the chance to Gosu or someone else to ask him at least a single question based on what he wrote, provide at least a short response and then leave.
Instead, what he did was just throw in his stance, which was too long and yet extremely vague and left us noobs to flame each other. There is only one creature on our planet that does that -- the Troll.
^
Inb4 I want to clarify: politician is just a profession, so is a game developer :P
Edited by Noxifer#2606 on 3/4/2013 1:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
Just take there responses as candied at best. No offence until they actually start fixing things that are broken. Or at least genualy care that there a problem there just stringing everyone along. How many promises have they posted about that there going to fix this and that and make it a game to live up to what it used to be and still nothing has yet to be done.... They released 1.0.7 for pvp so at least they can say they did not leave any feature out of the game. Eh sorry umm brawling.
Edited by Sorsha#1578 on 3/3/2013 10:38 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]