Diablo® III

2 issues: critical hits and blizzard skill

1. Critical hits are out of control.
"Hey there buddy, what the hell do you mean by that?!"
Any character that wants to kill on higher mp have one choice - higher critical chance and damage. Critical hits should just be an option, not mandatory to progress in the higher levels. Where are the other options for damage? There are none. Crit or don't kill. There should be multiple paths for success, ergo not having to relay solely on critical hits for higher damage output.
"Oh yeah? Well what is your solution buddy?"
I don't have one, at least one that won't screw all the critical gear up - not gonna even bother. After all, I am not a game designer. This is to post the problem at hand.

2. Blizzard is bad.
"What are you talking about? They gave is a damage boast last patch and proc!"
That means nothing. Blizzard needs to stack. Why not? Honestly, tell me exactly why the blizzard skill should not stack? A fear that people might actually use it? Scared that some players might consider switching from Critical Mass to an actual range skill set for their range character?
"Oh yeah? Well what is your solution buddy?"
Make blizzard castings stack. Decrease the damage a little bit, lower the proc, just make it stack for christ's sakes.

That is all.
Edited by Bug#1497 on 3/3/2013 2:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
Bad itemization and very bad designing...All players search for 6 affixes
-Main stat,vitality,resist to all,critical hit damage and chance and attack speed.If you look to how other ARPGs done without abusing critical hit damage numbers,you ll understand it much better
One more note on this matter
-I would prefer dps in our stats wasnt including critical damage(it was pure DPS)and was something like that
DPS-43,217(Critical Damage-122,367)
It would be much better.Even crit chance raises your overall DPS.This is unacceptable by a company with such numbers in staff and money.
Reply Quote
I wish I could melt guys with 8 stacked acid pools just like the elites.
Reply Quote
I would also like to see DoT skills be able to stack, especially WD DoTs. It's never really made much sense to me why they don't- if their resource costs were adjusted accordingly, I don't think they would be any more powerful than current builds.
Reply Quote
i kind of find it a silly arguement, its like if they replace crit and changed it to crushing blow, you wouldn't have to stack crushing blow?

or if they added crushing blow in addition to crit, then you have yet 1 more affix to stack.

high dps is a goal post.

shortening the field by remove crit damage doesn't make for a very nice game.
you're saying to prefer a game where the max damage in game is 60k? that everyone can hit it after a week of play?

a well balanced barb with maxed out gear hits the region of 700kdps and 1.5m ehp thereabouts. the top dps players in game have at max 500k. so no one has hit the possible limit.

its as though you don't like goals.
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 3/3/2013 6:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
i kind of find it a silly arguement, its like if they replace crit and changed it to crushing blow, you wouldn't have to stack crushing blow?

or if they added crushing blow in addition to crit, then you have yet 1 more affix to stack.

high dps is a goal post.

shortening the field by remove crit damage doesn't make for a very nice game.
you're saying to prefer a game where the max damage in game is 60k? that everyone can hit it after a week of play?

a well balanced barb with maxed out gear hits the region of 700kdps and 1.5m ehp thereabouts. the top dps players in game have at max 500k. so no one has hit the possible limit.

its as though you don't like goals.

Wait... what? Are you new to reading? Nowhere did I say crit stuff should be removed! I said -

03/03/2013 02:38 PMPosted by Bug
There should be multiple paths for success, ergo not having to relay solely on critical hits for higher damage output.

The issue I purport to be a problem is the sole reliance of critical hits to achieve the damage requirement for killing in the higher monster power levels.

Bad itemization and very bad designing...All players search for 6 affixes
-Main stat,vitality,resist to all,critical hit damage and chance and attack speed.If you look to how other ARPGs done without abusing critical hit damage numbers,you ll understand it much better

What was it that I did not understand? the numbers? I do not recall stating that the issue is with "dps"; I said damage. DPS is a load of crap, a number which is insignificant in the grand scheme. What matters is the actual damage output. I will repeat my point.

The issue I purport to be a problem is the sole reliance of critical hits to achieve the damage requirement for killing in the higher monster power levels.

If you don't stack crit, you don't kill anything in higher mp <--- that is the problem.
Reply Quote
What you are getting at, as I understand it. Is, that with purely base-damage, you'll have a hard time killing stuff on MP10, because you don't have the bigger numbers due to crits. Right, or did I percieve that wrong as well, hehe??
Reply Quote

If you don't stack crit, you don't kill anything in higher mp <--- that is the problem.

I can easily make the same for these

if you don't stack aps (ie: 1.0 aps) then you don't kill anything in higher mp (wd excluded)
if you don't stack critchance, then you don't kill anything in higher mp.
if you don't stack primary stat, then you don't kill anything in higher mp

lets look at my stats.
using www.d3rawr.com

at 129k dps unbuffed

I eliminate my primary stat, leaving it to 478 int (base+paragon).
my dps drops to 30969.48

reducing crit chance 56.6% to 5% , drops it to 66k

reducing ias +72% to 0%, drops it to 75k

reducing 200% to 50% crit dmg drops it to 77k

in fact, dropping crit dmg to 50% doesn't hurt my ability to farm/freeze ubers in mp10. whereas dropping aps or crit will totally kill me. crit dmg is the last priority luxury for cm wizards.

--
just because weapons/sockets are the largest contributers doesn't make it difficult or anything, its just means you don't have to stack so many affixes on all other pieces of gear.
imagine they half the crit dmg contribution from emeralds. (eg: 50% from radiant star). and instead, allow shoulders to also roll 50% crit dmg. do you think anything gets cheaper? if anything, now shoulders must have a mandatory crit dmg stat and weapons STILL must have socket.

max dps requires you to stack everything that can be stacked. simply singling out a single affix attribute as the cause of the expense of gear is really wrong.

eg: is a 2 socketed skywarden any use? it doesn't have dps but it has 2 sockets.
is a 2 socketed 851dps manticore any use? it has no +%dmg roll. does that mean without +%dmg its useless (actually yes). ?

the price of gear is because you have 5+6 good affixes. not because you lack a socket or not

this is what makes a weapon valuable
high avg black dmg
high elemental dmg
high %dmg
socket
base crit dmg
high primary/loh/lifesteal

having all 6 is mandatory for top pricing.
having 5 drops the price
having 4 generally makes it useless

---
you seem to think dps is illusionary and base damage is all that matters? that seems to me that you think ias has no value.. oh well
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 3/3/2013 8:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
[quote]

the price of gear is because you have 5+6 good affixes. not because you lack a socket or not

high avg black dmg
high elemental dmg
high %dmg
socket
base crit dmg

having 5 drops the price

Besides all 6 affix all other is rubbish. right?
Besides your build no build avaible for wizrad in high mp ( mandatory to high mp to get good drops)
Edited by MADTHUNDER2#3452 on 3/3/2013 8:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
Very bad balance, 9 months into the game and they still make no choices.

Lol whirlwind only
Lol critical mass only
Lol bears only
Lol DH enjoy being only good at MP2-4

I guess boosting 85% of all skills that are completely unused and making Dots/AoEs(100% useless and never picked) stack would be too much of a drastic change.
Reply Quote
[quote]

high avg black dmg
high elemental dmg
high %dmg
socket
base crit dmg

having 5 drops the price

Besides all 6 affix all other is rubbish. right?
Besides your build no build avaible for wizrad in high mp ( mandatory to high mp to get good drops)

if you can get to 500k dps with sufficient 400k+ ehp. any build will work in mp10. (but thats just overgearing). you could run blizzard hydra, arcane torrent etc.

the context of no viable build is that, with the same cost parity as a barb, can a wizard run the same mp efficiency as a barb

so generally for a cost to cost build, you can with 50m run a mp5 cm wizard build
but pretty much eg (bliz hydra) falls in efficiency compared to cm/archon

however, in the context of no money unlimited, you just have to check the wiz forums for people who can run
living lightning/meteor no freeze, LL/disintegrate/arcane dynamo etc.. but their gear is usually 1-2b per piece.
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 3/3/2013 8:24 PM PST
Reply Quote

if you don't stack aps (ie: 1.0 aps) then you don't kill anything in higher mp (wd excluded)

Thats the whole point. Those are the only things you can stack... and you can get them all. There are no trade offs... no choice... you just stack "the damage stats"... there is no choice in what you can use.
Reply Quote

Thats the whole point. Those are the only things you can stack... and you can get them all. There are no trade offs... no choice... you just stack "the damage stats"... there is no choice in what you can use.

what is the alternative?

pacman style,. you 1hit anything they die, they touch you , you die.
you don't need to stack anything

all possible values there are to stack must be stacked. even if you had 20 damage affixes, the best 6 out of 20 will be what is optimal to stack eventually.

Why don't you detail your wondrous alternative so that we can have some idea what kind of itemisation you want that does not require anyone to stack any kind of stat at all

the point of mp level is that everyone can do whatever they feel comfortable with. you want a funky build then do a lower mp. base inferno/mp1 is now so trivial, anyone in a full blue suit can clear inferno on it.

Complaining that you need crit damage to farm mp10 is really the same thing as saying "make mp10 TRIVIALLY EASY., NERF IT SO THAT I CAN FARM MP10 with my cheap gear" and that really is the last thing anyone needs. do you feel any sense of achievement if that happens? it literally cheapens the experience.

really, for games like these, shouldn't you feel an accomplishment doing things what FEW others can do? if lowering the difficulty ceiling so that anyone with 80 hrs can run the most difficult part of the game , then what kind of accomplishment do you get? make the goals trivial (of which high dps/ehp is one of them) and the game becomes even more trivial/short.

and furthermore, you don't have to do mp10. the entire hp scaling was made inefficient for this reason, plenty of people has said that farming mp 1 fast is literally the best way to get legendaries..
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 3/4/2013 5:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
The problem is the mentality that DPS is the only stat you need. Try getting some resists... some armor, some regen, some life steal, some +dmg to x skill.... Try wearing a SOJ that gives 30% increased damage to elites.. watch how much that improves your ability to face roll higher MPs while at the same time lowering your overall DPS on your stat sheet.
Reply Quote
Bad players like OP with 80 hours in the game need to stop thinking they know what they are talking about.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]