Diablo® III

How well do WDs do at mid lvl MPs (4-7)?

My fingers couldnt take playing a WW/CM wiz so looking for a new class. Even having spent only 150 mil on gear and with having only 120k DPS I could easily do MPs 6/7 with my Wiz. How well do WDs perform for mid ranged MPs? I dont wanna solo MP 10 or ubers. I just wanna farm a lot of essences at first to get better gear and then just grind to paragon 100 and then farm for gear. I only have around 500 mil to spend on gear.
Reply Quote
you can take a look at my gear. i haven't logged in for like a week, and i think i logged out with soul harvest on.
but, i am at 180k dps unbuffed and I farm mp8(read, FARM) just fine and i started dipping my toes into mp9, where i didn't even die, even though the monsters took longer to kill. I don't mind that actually.

with 500 mil, you can pretty much build a WD that can handle mp9 if not 10. or I could anyway if I had 500 mil. im only at like 6 lol.

you can farm mp7 with 140k dps fine. probably even 120. 8 i would say 160-170.
Reply Quote
i have 220k unbuffed and mp7 is an absolute joke.
Reply Quote
I dont have nothing on this guys gear and builds but even I plow though mp4 with no problems.

I am how ever a pet tank/thorns build. Mybe one day blizz give me some love and fix thorns.
Reply Quote
View profile
At 120K DPS on a WD you would be playing in MP6/7. You have a good stash of gold to get your build started. We have had several Wizards come over lately and build a WD. Most notably yodatoy.

If you want gear help and advice on what you should buy. Make a new post with a title like, "Wiz needs gear help for WD Build".

That will get you plenty of helpers and suggestions.

I will tell you not to make a zero dog WD, because that is a lot of button pressing which you probably do not want to do. I suggest some kind of Zombie Bear Build.

Read through our stickied Index for Gear and Build suggestions too.

Index to Witch Doctor Builds and Guides
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7350275486
Reply Quote
Ya Sky alot of Wizards are bailing out of the class ether by quiting or moving to WD/Monk.

I would like to play Wizard But I don't like CM/WW and I think Archon is bad ars looking I'm to old and my joints hurt to much to play speed builds like it.
Reply Quote
What about Skorn vs MH/OH? Im just throwing stuff on my Wiz now to see what stats I have and so far I have:

33k Health
666 Resist all with 810 Physical and 747 Fire
38% crit chance
210% crit damage
1200 Life regen per second
26 pick up radius

Still havent bought my Helm yet or weapon

If I go with 4 piece I will easily have 50% crit chance and another 100 vit from offhand easily but with Skorn I will have more crit damage and LS. With how high my resists are do I really need the extra LS from Skorn? Also whats better more crit chance or more crit damage?
Edited by Dabrixmgp#1694 on 3/16/2013 11:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Some Bear Doc do realy well with Skorn.

But most WD builds work best with LS.

How ever Acid Rain works realy well with LoH.
Edited by Umbra#1460 on 3/16/2013 11:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Is 4 piece really needed for mid level farming? I can get a sick Tal Rash Helm with like 190 int, 6% crit chance and even 7 more pick up for only like 500k. That will put me over 30 radius. Same stat Zuni Helm is like 20 mil. Also with my resists at 700 I find the 3 piece bonus of 55 more resists kinda pointless. Do I even need 4 piece then for MP 5-7 since I will pretty much grab every globe on screen?
Reply Quote
03/16/2013 11:59 PMPosted by Dabrixmgp
Do I even need 4 piece then for MP 5-7 since I will pretty much grab every globe on screen?

If you do enough damage, then you don't need a zuni set for lower mp levels. GI/GF combo gives plenty of mana if you are killing everything on the screen within a few seconds. You also won't need life steal, so it's best to go for straight damage. Getting +10-20k bonus to health globes also works well. I think this strat works well below mp5. Once you get above mp6 the zuni set is always a good option.
Reply Quote
03/17/2013 12:13 AMPosted by Trefnwyd
Do I even need 4 piece then for MP 5-7 since I will pretty much grab every globe on screen?

If you do enough damage, then you don't need a zuni set for lower mp levels. GI/GF combo gives plenty of mana if you are killing everything on the screen within a few seconds. You also won't need life steal, so it's best to go for straight damage. Getting +10-20k bonus to health globes also works well. I think this strat works well below mp5. Once you get above mp6 the zuni set is always a good option.

Will I really need Zuni set for MP 6-7? If using a 1350 DPS Skorn along with a 32 pick up radius wouldnt that be fast enough kills and enough globes to keep my mana full? Problem with going for 4 piece is I will have to buy a 1K DPS Carving Knife with a socket and they are like 250+ mil and then a good Zuni Offhand with 8% crit chance and a little more vit is another 50 mil. So is 300 mil worth it for 4 piece Zuni?
Reply Quote
There are definitely builds for mp7+ that don't require a zuni set, but they won't be as efficient. When mana becomes an issue, as it always does at some point (depending on how high the mp level), the zuni set is BIS. Most people use the helm, ring, boots, and chest.

Problem with going for 4 piece is I will have to buy a 1K DPS Carving Knife with a socket and they are like 250+ mil and then a good Zuni Offhand with 8% crit chance and a little more vit is another 50 mil. So is 300 mil worth it for 4 piece Zuni?

It's hard to get a good String of Skulls, so most people use the other parts to complete the set. Most Skorn users still go full zuni :)
Reply Quote
@Dabrixmgp, first you need to decide if you're going for 1H or 2H approach. For WD, LS weapons always provide more options in terms of skill builds, but if you have already decided on a certain favourite build, you can build your gear around it, which may or may not require LS.

For MP4-7, your most important skills will be SH and GF. When fully buffed in-game, a WD with 200k DPS can have about 350k sheet DPS for a short-term battle (elite pack). You are very concerned about the 4-pc Zuni. To rest your worries, there is no need for the 4-pc bonus running in mid MPs, but you need to be familiar with cycling through a few skills in your game play:-
Available passives: BR, VQ, SA, RoE
Available active skills: Haunt, Locust, Spiders

Without cycling through skills, your tactic is short burst damage to kill before you go out of mana. As you introduce certain skills into your gameplay, you can balance your mana regeneration with high damage skills. Doing this will enable you to crank up the MP level gradually.

In the end (high MPs), you will still choose the Zuni set, because 0 Mana = 0 DPS.

@Umbra, why are Wiz quitting? I thought Blizzard just buffed many of the Wiz skills? The resource on crit was a bug that got corrected, not a nerf.
Reply Quote
MP1-MP7 is easy for me with 103k DPS (wearing my health gear, 57k life)
Reply Quote
I'm a big fan of maximizing affixes on other gear and leaving the PuR for a baller ToTD. I found mine on the AH for 12m, and that's WITH a ZD reduction. I realize that ToTD can't roll the average damage of the other mojos, but I can't complain with mine.

For mp4-7 you don't need Zuni set regardless if you use 1 or 2 handers, though. Just run GI/GF/BR and melt your way through.
Reply Quote
WD does very well in all MP imo. Sheet DPS on a WD can be very misleading. A well made 100kdps WD can be effective in mid mp lvls and a higher dps stat doesn't always mean it is better.
Reply Quote
I'm not as godly geared as a lot of the WDs on the forums, but I can roll through MP7 fairly easy :) and I still use TOTD and GI/GF ;).
Reply Quote
Going with 4 piece. Should end up with around 45-50k Health and 600 resists so hope thats enough defensive stats. Just cant decide b/t Carving Knife and Offhand or Skorn? I will already have 45% crit chance with Scoundrel so I dont know if I need another 8-9% from offhand. But a Skorn will put me probably close to 490% crit damage and has double the LS. Is a measly 2.8-3% LS enough from just Carving Knife enough to survive? Also they are stupid expensive. I can probably get a 1400 DPS Skorn with 5.5% LS for cheaper than a good 1100 DPS carving Knife with socket.
Reply Quote
View profile
Also they are stupid expensive. I can probably get a 1400 DPS Skorn with 5.5% LS for cheaper than a good 1100 DPS carving Knife with socket.

^This is true.

I use a Skorn and I really like it. I don't think I will ever go back to 1H + mojo, unless a super balck damage spear fell out of the sky on my character.
I really like the extra life steal on a Skorn, plus it is much easier to conserve mana with it.

Problem is -- everyone has their own opinion on this. You either like 2H play style or you don't.

I will tell you that it is very easy to get 3 attack speed items to speed up a Skorn to 1.27 APS. A fourth can be added if you want more than that.

I suggest you try your character with a cheap 1H and a cheap 2H and see which style you prefer.
Reply Quote
I thought WD didnt want attack speed?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]