Diablo® III

+Cold Dmg Snare Effect does not work for WD

Any physical skill should be able to take advantage of the "Snare Effect" that comes with + Cold Dmg (most commonly on a SOJ or Tal Rasha's Ammy).

But this does not seem to work on a WD. In my tests, I couldn't get the snare effect to work on any WD skills using a Tal Rasha's Ammy w/ Cold dmg.

Does that mean that there is basically no advantage for a WD to have +Cold Dmg over other elements? Is this a bug or as intended? Could a blue respond?
Reply Quote
It's 'as intended' - we don't use weapon damage as such. That thing we hold in our main hand is just a stat sheet to determine what our spell will do. As our weapon never actually hits, we don't proc elemental effects unless it is specific to the spell ie Poison for Bears etc. All elemental bonuses listed on weapons/gear are just a few extra dps added to final damage calculations.
Reply Quote
The effect would be chill, from a SoJ. You can get chill on shoulders. If you uesd a skill that could proc the chill on shoulders e.g. Rot or AC you would be disappointed in what it does. On low MP might work a little, on high MP it doesn't.
You can give the SoJ to your follower, but probably you will still be disappointed in what it does.
Reply Quote
^

ie proc docs for their chill, stun, freeze etc etc all from gear they are wearing. As Skywalker said it works to a point. Elites on higher mps not so great. Zuggles has a nice proc doc, will try and get him to come in here.

@milkman the only +cold soj that without a doubt works with is barb that I know of.
Reply Quote
Thanks all.

@bapdawg, yes I can confirm that +cold soj or +Cold Tal Rasha ammy will work on Barb using Frenzy. It is a guaranteed "Snare effect" of 1 - 2 secs. You can even see it visually as the mobs have a small blue aura when the snare effect is applied.

Guess Cold Dmg is useless to a WD. Here's hoping that they change this in later patches to make Elemental Dmg more meaningful.

I contemplated about proc doc before, but the most I've seen is like a 4-5% chill chance. Not enough for me to make a build around it.
Reply Quote
all +add x% elemental damage (ie: cold) doesn't proc for wd because ALL wd spells convert elemental effects on weapon/gear to the elemental effect of the spell.

cold soj works for eg: barbs, dh, wizards (spectral blade only) because the skills they use do not specify ("as physical/as fire/as cold/as electricity/as arcane/as poison") thus they adopt the elemental effect of weapons/ and gear with "add x% elemental damage"
Reply Quote
@Chrisloup, I had that same understanding except assumed that "as physical" would count as no element thereby applying the cold dmg.
Reply Quote
03/14/2013 11:38 AMPosted by MilkMan
I contemplated about proc doc before, but the most I've seen is like a 4-5% chill chance. Not enough for me to make a build around it.

WD's proc chill from shoulders, weapons, and mojos. The chill proc works like you described for Barb.
Chill is not a strong proc for a WD. Freeze, Stun, blind, and immobolize are the best procs we have.

Those are the procs you would make a Proc doctor around.

Give the cold SoJ to your Scoundrel if you want to do something with it.

Otherwise, forget about it. The cold SoJ/Tal Rasha have been tested and retested to see if they would proc and they don't. Cold damage% weapons don't proc either. Live with it and move on.
Reply Quote
chill is a bad proc for WDs. Buy yourself a cheap 2h ranged weapon with cold damage on it, give it to your scoundrel, give him multi-shot and items with attack speed... and bam... "chilled" enemies everywhere without even touching your gear.

Course I went with the expensive route for my scoundrel. Chance to freeze as well... frozen mobs everywhere.

If you want a proc WD (such as what Sky suggested), look at my male Witch Doctor (whose in hardcore). He's using a build for procs... I have stun gloves, freeze belt and immobilize boots.
Reply Quote
Great Tips! Thanks all.

@Skywalker & Wooty: Yes, I actually have a Buriza on my Scoundrel (On Barb) that works really well. Tbh, this whole thread started b/c I bought a Cold Tal Rasha which in hinesight I prob overpaid for. LOL.. oh well live and learn...

I will give proc doc a try for fun. I'm pretty married to my current setup and will probably aim to buy a 2nd set just for proc doc. How much would you guys say I need to have to get a decent proc doc set? (MP8-10 viable)
Reply Quote
03/14/2013 03:14 PMPosted by MilkMan
How much would you guys say I need to have to get a decent proc doc set? (MP8-10 viable)

My proc doc was working well in MP8 with 4.6% chill, 4.8% freeze, and 4.4% immobolize. However in MP9 that all changed. Elites are all immune to chill, maybe immune to immobolize, and are not as susceptable to freeze, and I have taken off my 4.6% stun gloves because they weren't working very often either.

So IMO sorry to say that an MP9 proc doc pretty much does not exist. I,m am playing around now with builds hoping to push into MP10 solo when I get the gold to make a few purchases.

And I also hate to inform you, but your Scoundrel will not proc elites on MP8 and will hit very few trash monsters with his freeze.
Reply Quote
@sky, How much would you say an MP8 proc doc costs?

Been using the buriza on scoundrel on my barb for a Month now to farm in MP10. I'd say 1/3 of the time he's freezing someone. I never actually paid attention to whether or not elites are frozen or not. But will test tonight and report back here tomorrow =)

One thing I know for SURE is that he does freeze ubers. I know that b/c I have to swap out the scoundrel when soloing Siegebreaker on MP10 b/c he sometimes perma freezes the siegebreaker when he has my barb picked up and could potentially lock me down and gets me killed.

Edit: Siege Picks me up, scoundrel perma freezes for 3-5 secs, Kulle kills me with earthquake. I can't dps = no LS = quick death =)
Edited by MilkMan#1964 on 3/14/2013 4:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/14/2013 03:57 PMPosted by MilkMan
@sky, How much would you say an MP8 proc doc costs?

The cost of the gear isn't so much the issue as the DPS you have to give up to use it.

Example: You want the blind proc. This is only on Ammy's. Very few Tal Rasha amulets with high crit chance and blind (if any). Non Tal Rasha Ammy - 6000-8000 DPS drop or more from Tal's. 100 -250 million.

Gloves - Stun. Can compare to a trifecta glove or a Good Tasker and Theo. Best I was willing to buy was 4.6% stun and still lost 5000 DPS. 20-60 million

Belt - Freeze - Witching Hour - Mine has 4.8% freeze. High AS 9%, High CD% 46 but no vit or allres -100 million or more.

Other procs - Immobolize on Zuni's was 10-15M, Chill on shoulders was more or less free on Vile Wards maybe I paid 20M for them.

So it isn't too pricey but very difficult to find the procs and not lose DPS.
Reply Quote
cold dmg for a barb or dh is basically an extra 20+ free affix slots. gotta love the ballance.
Reply Quote
@Sky thanks! Looks pretty price to me. I'm counting 400-500M from what you listed. That's a lot to spend for me on a second set =). I'll start bargain shopping over the next few days.

Also, FYI, i tested buriza on scoundrel last night and can confirm that it does freeze elites in mp10.

@Chuck lol yes. I see it as we WDs have to work a bit harder. I enjoy the challenge. Imho, you can only spin for so long per day before wearing out =).
Reply Quote

So IMO sorry to say that an MP9 proc doc pretty much does not exist. I,m am playing around now with builds hoping to push into MP10 solo when I get the gold to make a few purchases.

I will have to test out your theory. Maybe it's just because their HP is higher and thus the proc reduction rate becomes noticeable.
Reply Quote
03/15/2013 09:40 AMPosted by MilkMan
Also, FYI, i tested buriza on scoundrel last night and can confirm that it does freeze elites in mp10.

Interesting. I used almost that exact same Buriza on my Scoundrel and I got next to nothing frozen on MP8. I also saw another WD's Scoundrel use one on MP10, and he got one freeze per shot into a pack of white monsters.
So I don't know what's going on here.

03/15/2013 10:20 AMPosted by MCP
I will have to test out your theory

Please do. Maybe different gear produces different results.
Reply Quote
Update - Something fishy is happening with my proc effects. I was about to throw my chill shoulders away, because they didn't seem to be doing squat. So I switched some gear items around and played for a little. Didn't like what I did and put my old gear back on.
So started playing again. Guess what? I am now chilling the crap out of things, even some elites. I just don't get it. Same gear, same MP9 level, but now the chill proc is working again.

Has anyone that uses procs ever seen this? Starting a new post so more WDs see this.

New post here http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8198731931#1
Edited by skywalkerfx#1247 on 3/15/2013 2:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote

did a mp10 proctor build a while back. its a bit better now with the skorn I got but still not as fast as my mp10 spead farm no proc bears build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqoF4wxmRd4
Reply Quote

03/15/2013 10:20 AMPosted by MCP
I will have to test out your theory

Please do. Maybe different gear produces different results.

Just to report. It's working much similar to MP8.

p.s. Look at my gear/build and be aghast.
I just killed ghom on mp10 with that gear.

That's my middle finger to diablo 3.

pps. It might be the dumbest gear set I've ever worn.
Edited by MCP#1477 on 3/15/2013 10:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]