Diablo® III

MP8 / MP10 Bear Doc Video

View profile
A number of people have been adding me in game and asking for advice on gearing their character to make a good bear doctor. Gearing is only part of being successful when running a bear doc build, so I decided to make an updated video for people to kinda see how I position myself on a normal quick MP8 Act 3 run with a number of different affixes. Video's are a little difficult for me since banicam brings my fps down a ton (i have a terrible vid card).

Enjoy. If you have any questions let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0-PmZbYh-8

EDIT: I had a number of people wanting me to run MP10 since I posted the MP8 video this morning. Here's a quick one. It is in Keeps 2 so there was some fallen maniacs that could 1 shot me if they can reach me. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noG9jsFUWkY
Edited by ofgortens#1113 on 3/19/2013 1:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
03/19/2013 04:19 AMPosted by ofgortens
Video's are a little difficult for me since banicam brings my fps down a ton (i have a terrible vid card).

You must of hocked it to buy that spear!
Reply Quote
Big thanks ofgortens! Just watch the video and get the feeling of playstyle. You inspired me a lot with gearing!
Reply Quote
View profile
03/19/2013 06:11 AMPosted by skywalkerfx
You must of hocked it to buy that spear!

Maybe I should sell it for a good video card ;)

03/19/2013 08:01 AMPosted by bombi
Big thanks ofgortens! Just watch the video and get the feeling of playstyle. You inspired me a lot with gearing!

Hope it helps a little better as far as how to approach different mobs and affixes. Sorry for dying at the end there... I didnt realize that when the 10 min hits for the bandicam that it freezes your comp. Maybe it's just my computer...
Reply Quote
Awesome vid, watched it all.

Question: why don't you use a SoJ? a 30%er would get you a massive dps increase against the only thing that's taking up any of your time. Or are you going for a top XXX in sheet dps?
Reply Quote
very nice doc and great vid!!! i also play a bear doc style quite like yours. my gear isnt as good but im able to farm mp8 comfortably. i'm still using jf as a defensive passive and havent yet felt comfortable going 3 straight mana regen passives. any goals i should set for ar armor and vit before dropping jungle fortitude?
Reply Quote
View profile
Awesome vid, watched it all.

Question: why don't you use a SoJ? a 30%er would get you a massive dps increase against the only thing that's taking up any of your time. Or are you going for a top XXX in sheet dps?

No reason other than running a 6/30/10 reduction SoJ really doesn't feel more powerful to me. I like my unity and the LoH procs a little bit (not all that much) from spiders and bears. I ran a few runs with my friends 6/29/10 reduction SoJ and on upper MP levels, it took an extra bear cast or 2 to clear the trash mobs which is time lost. Calculations show that with my unity i run

With Unity
294k dps vs trash
323k dps vs elite
515k dps buffed vs trash
567k dps buffed vs elites

With 6/29 SoJ
250k dps vs trash
337k dps vs elites
441k dps buffed vs trash
595k dps buffed vs elite

So 17% more dmg to everything and 4% less done to elites...it's not all that much different as long as you can manage your mana. I didnt need the bear reduction with my slower aps weapon... so the SoJ really isn't BiS like everyone swears it to be IMO.

03/19/2013 10:01 AMPosted by HardCopy
any goals i should set for ar armor and vit before dropping jungle fortitude?

I guess I've never really run jungle fortitude so I wouldnt particularly know. Right now my life is lower than I like it to be (usually like 50k+) which I gave up when I went to my new mojo... but I'm trying to get some back with a new WH. I recommend running 700 AR (unbuffed), 3500+ armour, and 50k+ life. By the look of your gear, I would say that JF is not really needed as long as you are good at microing around and positioning yourself correctly. LS is really my savior for the most part in my build.

I don't require any PUR on any of my gear because I opt to choose when I get buffed from GF (which also regens mana) rather than auto picking up with PUR which you can see in the video of me deciding when to pick up the globes.
Edited by ofgortens#1113 on 3/19/2013 12:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It's kinda cool to see bears charge out in single line from ofgorten's WD.
Reply Quote
View profile
03/19/2013 11:36 AMPosted by ofgortens
So 17% more dmg to everything and 4% less done to elites...it's not all that much different as long as you can manage your mana.

I tried and tried to make that point with Brahm but he didn't want to hear it. Kept talking about how much higher his crits were against elites with the SoJ. Which I guess is true, but you start with a 15-20% DPS penalty to replace a good ring. So how exactly are the crits higher, when you have a lower damage base?
I think SoJ is mostly psychological, unless you can really use the bear reduction.

I just use Hex on elites now. I don't have to give up any damage, and I do 20% more to elites. Now that's a bargain.
Reply Quote
View profile
I had a number of people wanting me to run MP10 since I posted the MP8 video this morning. Here's a quick one. It is in Keeps 2 so there was some fallen maniacs that could 1 shot me if they can reach me. Enjoy.

I added this to the OP.
Edited by ofgortens#1113 on 3/19/2013 1:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I play around with a soj a lot and usually never use a soj unless I am in a 4 player game and am the one having to do most of the killing or sometimes vs an act boss, ubers, etc. where the little extra mana is nice to have. In general if you have a nice CHD/CC ring with ave damage also on it it will shine better in overall game play over a soj. Sure the soj does a tad more damage vs elites yet does not shine at all vs trash. Even on MP 8 - 10 if you are having issues with mana the soj is not going to help that much. It may be better if thats the case to jump to a CHD/CC/7% litany's or something.

I still use my soj yet mainly just in 4 player games if I feel the need yet for many players that do not have a nice alternative high CHD/CHC/Ave damage set,unique, or rare rings the soj would not be a bad compromise + it helps with some mana management if you really need the mana management.

Just my 2 cents on the soj issue
Edited by Gotcha#1167 on 3/19/2013 1:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I had a number of people wanting me to run MP10 since I posted the MP8 video this morning. Here's a quick one. It is in Keeps 2 so there was some fallen maniacs that could 1 shot me if they can reach me. Enjoy.

HEY I HAVE A QUESTION????

Why didn't you create a second thread for the second video???

All joking aside. A+ would watch again.
Reply Quote
Next on Life and Times of Ofgortens' WD:

Ofgortens and EddardStark team up to make a video of winning Diablo 3 with dual Witch Doctors, before Sunjata retires for a while.
Edited by EddardStark#1833 on 3/19/2013 8:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I still think SOJs will serve you better.

Especially for a one-hander based build with Guesome feast and Blood Ritual.

First, the higher mana pool from SOJ allows 10 more mana per globe, and also lets you "store more bullets" for each fight.

Second, stacking cost reduction becomes more effective the more you stack it. As a one hander, it is a terrible waste not to take advantage of it.

And mathematical proof:

You have 872 mana pool, blood ritual, -10 bear mojo, 1.52 attacks per second and 69 mana regen. You spend 96.68 mana per second. That pool gives you 9 seconds' worth of bear spamming.

If you replace unity with SOJ, you get 980 mana pool, blood ritual, -10 bear mojo, -10 SOJ, 1.52 attacks per second and 69 mana regen. You spend 81.48 mana per second. That pool gives you 12 seconds' worth of bear spamming.

Whatever you lose in DPS, you already make up via sustain. An SOJ is a lot more than just that 30% elite bonus for a bear user.
Edited by Wtflag#1258 on 3/19/2013 8:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/19/2013 08:39 PMPosted by Wtflag
I still think SOJs will serve you better.

Bleah. Unity for the win. Still <3 you Wtflag.
Reply Quote
Nice clip, bad music.

Imo SoJ is bis,

-More dps vs elites
-max mana n -cost
-No need to waste a skill slot to spiders n VQ
Reply Quote
View profile
03/19/2013 09:09 PMPosted by Jumbasa
Nice clip, bad music.

lol thanks. I forgot the majority of video game players listen to trace / techno. That was what i listened to in 6th grade... but I can turn some back on during videos if it helps. That was the just music that I normally have on.
Reply Quote
Ofgortens:

You and I should do a vid of our WDs running together on MP10.
Reply Quote
View profile
Ofgortens:

You and I should do a vid of our WDs running together on MP10.

I'd be fine with that. Might have to take the video from your computer since my vid card would probably explode. I tried to record a video in my normal 4 person MP10 farming group (CM wiz, cyclone monk, archon wiz, and me) and my computer started having seizures.

PS noone will convince me to get a SoJ over my unity. I played for 2 days with a 6/29/10 reduction SoJ and my kill times were slower mostly due with having to spend more bear castings on the trash. Everyone has their right to their opinion in the matter though. SoJ is a great option for people that run high (1.8+) aps and do not opt for a mana regen helm, but since I really don't have mana problems... I don't see it as a benefit. I am not saying SoJ is a wrong choice... just not the only one.
Edited by ofgortens#1113 on 3/20/2013 9:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
PS noone will convince me to get a SoJ over my unity. I played for 2 days with a 6/29/10 reduction SoJ and my kill times were slower mostly due with having to spend more bear castings on the trash.

I knew I would win. <3

03/20/2013 09:07 AMPosted by ofgortens
Might have to take the video from your computer since my vid card would probably explode.

Hmm never tried to do this myself. Might have to tell where to go and what to do to get it going, and we'll see if my card can do it.
Edited by EddardStark#1833 on 3/20/2013 9:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]