Diablo® III

"Ask the Devs" Round 2: Itemization - Answers (Part 1)

I like the idea of being able to add a socket. I think it could at least partially balance the AH (can't charge 10x as much for a weapon with a socket if I can just add one myself) and I agree with most people in that you're not going to add a socket to every single new weapon you find...

If I find a weapon that is otherwise worth using, but has no socket, it's scrap or vendored. A player could certain make it a "chore" but who the crap has time for that?

Just charge a reasonable amount to add a socket so that it isn't something we just do for shiggles and don't let the added socket effect it's vendor sell price.
Reply Quote
guys, i got confused.
my english is not good enough.

will we make sockets? yes or no.

In reply to ferhatsan, no. This post seems to imply we wont be making sockets.

I'm very disappointed in this whole Q&A. I feel that they took questions that were vaguely answered in the developer blog I'm linking below this and basically restating it again.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8953696/developer-journal-itemization-update-3-5-2013

Seriously, read this and go read that blog again. I think the only thing that was news in those Q&A's was that they may be adding new types of socketables. I hope they bring something similar to the rune-word system in D2. I personally enjoyed the rune-word system.
Reply Quote
Normally I wouldn't comment I agree with a previous comment, being that the plan will be to have all legionaries to have the possibility to drop will there be something done to buff current legendaries to be comparable to best in class i.e. Manticore to Windforce; Think you might have already answered but a confirmation would be great
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
03/20/2013 03:06 PMPosted by Lylirra
Travis: Yes, our plan is to handle Legendary items in a similar fashion to how we handle Rare items. Legendary items will roll at a level equal to the creature that dropped it. This means that, in addition to a Legendary’s stats rolling at the monster level, the base item stats will also roll at the monster's level. Right now, Rares don't work this way. Instead, their affixes roll at the level of the monster, but their base armor and weapon damage remain unchanged.

Interesting...

So that means the Pride of Cassius is the new BiS belt for Barbarians if it rolls Life Steal.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/pride-of-cassius

I'll see if the devs answer my 2nd question in the Ask the Devs before I jump to the conclusion that all rares are now going to be worthless for everyone.
Reply Quote
Eliminate useless rare class items. Demon hunter "dead man's legacy" is cheap and so superior to all rare quiver drops as to make the rare quiver drops useless. This is only 1 example.
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 04:47 PMPosted by Greenhell
After reading this, it does'nt seem like you dev's are enthused about unvieling what you've been working so hard to get into our hands, it feels like you've given up.

With all the huge amount of negative feedback they have recieved, i wouldnt be so enthusiastic either.
They know they have messed up bigtime and it shows, even though they try to hide it. All they do is "talk about it" and patches and their content are all too little to make a difference. And on top of that it takes way too long time for the updates to arrive. There is no sense of urgency for them to get it right.
Edited by dLux#2874 on 3/20/2013 4:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
We WANT the ability to add sockets... don't play down that aspect just because you think it'll be redundant or time consuming; work with it.

One thing I (and many others I'm sure) thought of is simply this; adding a socket binds the item to account. Found a sick 1h with perfect stats, but no socket? Well, do you want the gold/RM or do you want to make it perfect by adding a socket, thereby creating that attachment to your characters items, as well as removing items from circulation, not to mention you can have it cost a significant amount so as to remove gold at the same time.

Simple. Effective.
Reply Quote
Also I feel that people are being overly critical about some of the responses they did get. While they keep saying, "We may or may not do this..." they are pretty much trying to say, "We're trying to implement this, but we gotta make sure it's balanced first."

Maybe the Blizzard developers just lack people skills or need to stop worrying about hurting peoples' feelings and just answer us directly. What are your goals blizzard. Tell us what you want to implement. Tell us what you're trying to do. Stop acting wishy-washy about it. A lot of your user base is filled with children and we know that. But the adults want you to talk to us like adults and tell us like it is.

Your answers would be fine without the "We want to but we don't know." Leave that out. Just say what you're trying to implement. The rest is understood.
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 04:52 PMPosted by Drothvader
Travis: Yes, our plan is to handle Legendary items in a similar fashion to how we handle Rare items. Legendary items will roll at a level equal to the creature that dropped it. This means that, in addition to a Legendary’s stats rolling at the monster level, the base item stats will also roll at the monster's level. Right now, Rares don't work this way. Instead, their affixes roll at the level of the monster, but their base armor and weapon damage remain unchanged.

Interesting...

So that means the Pride of Cassius is the new BiS belt for Barbarians if it rolls Life Steal.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/pride-of-cassius

I'll see if the devs answer my 2nd question in the Ask the Devs before I jump to the conclusion that all rares are now going to be worthless for everyone.

Just like Sledgefist for monk ;)
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 04:53 PMPosted by oldman54
Eliminate useless rare class items. Demon hunter "dead man's legacy" is cheap and so superior to all rare quiver drops as to make the rare quiver drops useless. This is only 1 example.

2Hweapons = Skorn

2H Bows = Manticore

Belts = WH or Leg/Set class specific

Quivers = DML

Boots = Ice Climbers

Pants = Innas 90% of the time

ETC... Only 0.0001% usefull are 1h weapons and rings
And with the itemization update all rares will be worthless
Reply Quote
Q. Where is my add socket?

- TwoCoins#1776 (enUS), Graupel#2865 (Europe [English])

Wyatt: When the game was in development, we the Blacksmith had the ability to add a socket to an item. Adding a socket makes the item better, so you pretty much always wanted to do it, and we found adding the socket felt like a small chore that didn’t actually increase the gameplay depth. You already need to insert gems to a socketed item, and felt having to add a socket as well would be a step too many.

With that in mind, there are still some gameplay benefits to adding a socket that we’d still like to capture. Although having to add a socket every time can feel like a chore, if there was a mechanic that made it a legitimate decision, that is something we could explore. Additionally, there’s something to be said for feeling more invested in an item—taking steps to improve an item increases your emotional bond with that it, which is something we could definitely do better at.

So, to answer your question, it’s something that’s definitely on the table for the future, but it likely won’t be identical to the system that was in Diablo II or the early iterations of Diablo III.

How about adding a socket to an item:

- Costs Gold
- Makes item BOA

This creates a goldsink and removes good items from the economy and AH, while at the same time adding choice and variety to the player (expecially if additional socketables were in place).
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
03/20/2013 04:59 PMPosted by DoomBringer
Just like Sledgefist for monk ;)

Yes, but my point is it's just creating a whole new problem.

You're replacing one BIS item for another. All this belt does is make any other mighty belt worthless for a Barbarian.

It's like the new Crit Mempo, except you want this to roll Life Steal and anything else is worthless.

There are no other viable options because Crit, Crit Damage and IAS cannot possibly roll on any other belt in game making it impossible to use a Rare as an upgrade.

All it does is compound the issues with itemization.

If I were to speak honestly I would say it's necessary that these Legendary items roll affix values appropriately, but in doing so they're further perpetuating the fact that you MUST use certain Legendary items on ALL characters. IE, no customization and the feeling of all rares being worthless.
Reply Quote

Drothvader already touched on this, but I'd like to ask one thing that further goes along with his question.

Currently, if the item level of a dropped item is higher than the monster's level, the item is supposed to roll its affix ranges at the item's level and not the monster's level. Will this remain intact in the proposed changes? The reason I ask is because if not, then any iLV 63 item found from an iLV 61 or iLV 62 monster on MP0 would have reduced values vs. the exact same item dropping from an iLV 63 monster. This would have the very unfortunate effect of forcing players into something other than MP0 or feeling like what they're getting at MP0 when they're progressing naturally is subpar.

Sacrificing the function I mentioned here would have very drastically negative impacts on all items across the board when Monster Power is not in use.

Reply Quote
i love pride of casius, i have one, and i use it often.
Reply Quote
and i like to see lvl 63 version of pride of cassius, yea maybe with 250str and life steal.
Reply Quote

This. Since launch I don't think blizz has made 1 mention about changes to viable legendary recipes.

If you remembered correctly Blizzard proactively buffed recipes along with a previous rare drop buff.

If you are referring to the Legendary and Set plans' drop rates, they were not changed other than the "doubling" done a few months back (which amounted to not much really). As for the items themselves, some were altered, and others weren't. Most of the Legendary buffs were done to the high tier items. Most low end items are still "meh" at best.

Reply Quote
I hope this will bring back some players cause i feel this game is slowly dying :( Can someone tell me if the same happened with d2 ? (ive started playing d2 with the LOD i was not playing in the begining) Were the playerbase going up and down before all the patchs and exp?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]