Diablo® III

"Ask the Devs" Round 2: Itemization - Answers (Part 1)

Thanks for clarification but this is madness, some item already OP if Messcht-Reaver can triple roll damage modifier (Fire / Black / % Dmg) at i63, MP10 will be cake walk, we need new limit for MP15 then lol.

These are some items i think will be too OP for the current max difficulties but probably replace many of our current BIS now. In a way, it is good for the economic but prepare to dump your BIS gears quick before its devalue too much.

i63 version of Butcher sickle (Black damage, % Damage, 100CD, 3LS, Socket, +Stats)
i63 Sledge Fist (Black damage, % Damage, Dex, 100CD, Socket or LS)
i63 WKL
i63 Broken Crown (Vit, IAS, 6CC, Socket, AR // bye bye 6CC Meepo)
i63 The Mind's Eye (Dex, IAS, Monk skill bonus (14% FOT) , 6CC, Socket, AR)
and more.....
Reply Quote
This first part of the answers doesn't give me hope that the itemization changes will make the game much better. Who cares about all legendaries rolling as level 63 if found on MP1 when a lot of them still can't roll crit dmg, ls, socket.

The answer to adding sockets to items(that once existed) just shows me the dev team is completely out of touch, even after the CEO gave an apology for the state of the game and even after the lead designer got moved to another project.

Just don't understand the hesitation, adding sockets would make so many more items we find viable. Wizard Spike would be atleast worth a look if it could have a socket, Azurewraith as well.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm sick of saying "thats crap" when I see some legendary drop that has 0 chance of being good or sellable. Every item should have the potential to blow your socks off, unfortunately, outside of a couple, this is the big problem with the game.
Edited by Bolo#1141 on 3/20/2013 8:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
82 Orc Death Knight
Thanks for clarification but this is madness, some item already OP if Messcht-Reaver can triple roll damage modifier (Fire / Black / % Dmg) at i63, MP10 will be cake walk, we need new limit for MP15 then lol.

These are some items i think will be too OP for the current max difficulties but probably replace many of our current BIS now. In a way, it is good for the economic but prepare to dump your BIS gears quick before its devalue too much.

i63 version of Butcher sickle (Black damage, % Damage, 100CD, 3LS, Socket, +Stats)
i63 Sledge Fist (Black damage, % Damage, Dex, 100CD, Socket or LS)
i63 WKL
i63 Broken Crown (Vit, IAS, 6CC, Socket, AR // bye bye 6CC Meepo)
i63 The Mind's Eye (Dex, IAS, Monk skill bonus (14% FOT) , 6CC, Socket, AR)
and more.....

Is there a rule somewhere that states that Diablo games must be challenging to "farm"?

Because last time I checked ARPGs were about a character feeling utterly powerful and overcoming insane odds.

It is you people, idiots, who are making this game into an MMO that sucks.
Reply Quote
Still not satisfied with these Q&As. They continue to present things we already know and still persist with the "we're thinking about it" line.

At least they did not write up long winded answers like last time. They seriously got hammered doing that.
Reply Quote
Adding socket is very powerful, which is the reason why everyone wants it. It's more like a chore since everyone will add that socket.

Some time, developers, you have to think out of the box. Rather that focusing on how to remove the hassle, why not use it to your advantage?

Make that 'chore' a goldsink, item sink or something.
Make it into a sub-quest like hellring so players will choose carefully on what to socket, than making socket-ing mundane task.

Provide the opportunity to undo the socket with a cost like ungem, so that if the socket replace the wrong affix, the item can still be salvage(not as turning into salvage materials).

If adding socket become the 7th affix for the item, than it will break the balance.

You're killing 2 birds with one stone. Way to remove gold from the game, and satisfying your customers.
Reply Quote
Still not satisfied with these Q&As. They continue to present things we already know and still persist with the "we're thinking about it" line.

At least they did not write up long winded answers like last time. They seriously got hammered doing that.

You're correct, I get no sense of confidence with this team. It's always

"We'll look into it"
"It may be an idea worth visiting"
"Its a discussion around the office."

Sounds like a team that is completely hamstrung in regards to improving the game. We know the dev's want to improve it, sounds like a major lack of confidence, its not rocket science to turn this game around into a game where our friendlists fill back up and get excited.

Fix itemization, players will come back, its just that simple. I would actually like to play with friends again, many aren't going to play until itemization is fixed.
Edited by Bolo#1141 on 3/20/2013 8:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote

You're correct, I get no sense of confidence with this team. It's always

"We'll look into it"
"It may be an idea worth visiting"
"Its a discussion around the office."

Sounds like a team that is completely hamstrung in regards to improving the game. We know the dev's want to improve it, sounds like a major lack of confidence, its not rocket science to turn this game around into a game where our friendlists fill back up and get excited.

Fix itemization, players will come back, its just that simple. I would actually like to play with friends again, many aren't going to play until itemization is fixed.

Reading through the answers again, much of the information could also easily be deduced simply by logic or common sense. At worst, it's patronizing.
Reply Quote
Manually socketed items cannot be repeared , just give them more durability points.= Item sink+gold sink.
Reply Quote
82 Orc Death Knight
03/20/2013 08:56 PMPosted by Secoya
Or, they can add a random affix or two. Which opens the possibility of a socket or something else that is good. Each leg needs to have the possibility of getting a combination that makes it JUST as appealing as another leg of the same slot/lvl, only with a slightly different flavor. Ideally, nothing should be hands down BiS...

You are thinking the wrong way, legendary items should be 9/10 in terms of awesomeness, rares should potentially be 10/10.

If you think of it that way, then say a Mempo should be as follows:

Mempo
Primary stat 170-200
Life 8% (flat)
Attack Speed 7-9%
50-65 resist all
Thorns 3000-5000
Socket
Special Affix: If you are not using a follower or in a group you deal 5% more damage; while in a group you and your allies take 3% less damage.

Andarial's Visage
Primary stat 170-200
Critical Strike Chance 4.5%
50 Poison Resist
5-15% more Fire Damage Taken
30-40% Chance to Poison Nova
Pickup Radius +10
Socket

Rare Helm
Primary Stat 200-300
Vitality 80-100
All Resist 70-80
Crit Chance 5-6%
12% Life
Socket

Now both helms are useful, if you want to use an Andarial's you get a SOLID helm, not the best compared to a rare that could get resist all, and vit, and such, but still really good every time it drops. It has crit and a nice proc.

Or you could get Mempo, also a great helm, but has IAS and resist all. No crit, cannot get it. But rolls with a nice flat amount of Life % and thorns. The unique passive is a cool feature that benefits group and solo play.

Could do the same thing for all the legendary items.

The +random magical property is killing the ability to make GOOD legendary items; as everyone expects all legendary items to be BiS.

Whereas, rares should, in terms of raw power, be better than legendary items if rolled extremely well, or at least competitive if you want IAS on a helm...well you can't be default, but if you found a really good rare you may replace your IAS Mempo because the rare offers more pure damage/survivability.
Edited by Alliance on 3/20/2013 9:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
One idea... allow players to change an item's properties based on maybe elite kills or something? Assuming bliz would be able to tell if the elites were killed in maybe inferno mp8+... and maybe only after reaching paragon 85 or so...

And maybe an augmented item should be boa... i dunno.

Anyway, the top notch affixes would cost thousands of E kills in mp8+ inferno. So if you wanted to swap something like intelligence for an open socket (this would be the most expensive) it would require you to have killed like 10k elites (about half as many as in my career lol). Once you hit a certain number of e kills, a notification will flash up saying that the blacksmith is ready to go to work. So adding life steal will require maybe 1000 e kills per 1% ls... I'm making these numbers up off the top of my head--maybe theyre rather large but it would literally be the end game lol.

But that's just it. There can be no end game. Screw this whole idea.
Reply Quote
Kaeros on diablo.incgamers said it best:

“It’s hard to say..”

“Something we could explore..”

“Something we talk about a lot in the office..”

“Definitely on the table..”

“We have not finalized any systems yet..”

“We want to make sure we make the right choice..”

“It’s certainly possible..”

“We’ll be looking at how crafting fits into the big picture..”

“We haven’t decided on X yet..”

I just don’t know how this development team continues to exist. Blizzard has grown too big to support itself, when simple things like “adding a socket” requires multi-level committee meetings to see it done.

The waffling and inability to make strong decisions is crippling the momentum this game could have.

These lines are up there with Soon™ and "We've doubled it".
Edited by Hypersonic#1142 on 3/20/2013 9:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Forging items should not be better than MF items
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]