Diablo® III

"Ask the Devs" Round 2: Itemization - Answers (Part 1)

83 Orc Death Knight
03/20/2013 09:18 PMPosted by HJH
Forging items should not be better than MF items

Also true, they should be an 8/10 (crafted legendary/rares), legendary 9/10, rares 10/10

That way people want to find legendary items and rares, but can get by on crafted gear until such a time that they find an upgrade.
Reply Quote
[quote]

Is there a rule somewhere that states that Diablo games must be challenging to "farm"?

Because last time I checked ARPGs were about a character feeling utterly powerful and overcoming insane odds.

It is you people, idiots, who are making this game into an MMO that sucks.

Erm why are you taking this so offensive, first of all I didn't play any MMO, I was hardcore D2 player and yes had fun with OP builds.

Yes ARPGs suppose to be overpower fun and fast pace but my point is at this rate MP10 is already doable for many people. If we have more OP items in game, we need more difficulties, maybe MP12.

What i really what from D3 Dev-Team is build diversity rather than buffing more items for same purpose. Everyone will search the same formula again and again CC, IAS, CD, AR, Stats.

We need item that will create build diversity like how we can utilize WKL for FOT/Cyclone monk, 300th spear for WT barb. A simple one can be an item that increases element skill by 30% (random roll) with 3 random affix.
Reply Quote
I think adding the ability to add a socket would be huge!

As an example. just think about how the price of top-end 2-socket Manticores would drop if you could add an extra socket to your existing Manticore. That or it would increase the value of the single-socket Manticores with higher DPS. It would also level the playing field a bit between people with the "Dual Wield Mastercard or Dual Wield Visa" ability and those who don't -- which is the source of a lot of ill will in the community.

[As a side note: after seeing what Travis has said about item base stats, wouldn't a Buriza-Do Kyanon become potentially better than a Manticore if it could roll level 63 base stats on top of level 63 affixed AND it could be socketed? You'd have a new Perma-freeze DH Build to compete with the CM Wizards. Some people already equip their Scoundrels that way.].

Of course, Blizz would have to make it so that ANY item that has no socket OR supports more than 1 socket would be allowed to have one. So you could have Ice Climbers with 2 sockets (makes sense -- it's a pair of boots: one for each boot), Skorns with two sockets, etc. Also, rare pants with great stats but just one socket or chest armor with just one socket, would benefit greatly. What's more, just think about the Andariel's Visages out there that roll with high main stats (2 rolls of main stat, effectively) but no socket would benefit from it. Then, how about Lacuni Prowlers with a socket (and maybe the ability to add more than just +main stat)? The possibilities are endless.

It'd also make some rings and amulets viable. I mean, how many times have you found a drop of an un-socketed ring or amulet and thought: if only it had a socket, it would actually be worth using?

Naturally, there has to be a downside so I'd gladly trade in a restriction (i.e. bind on account) if I could socket an item. It would also help with the item sink since people are likely to socket only things which they deem of worthy value to keep long-term. It would also add a level of personalization if you could name the item once you socket it and it binds to your account.

You could do this Diablo 2, I think. Of course, I played that game so long ago that I don't know if my recollection is accurate.
Edited by Eisenhorn#6230 on 3/20/2013 9:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
83 Orc Death Knight
[quote]

Is there a rule somewhere that states that Diablo games must be challenging to "farm"?

Because last time I checked ARPGs were about a character feeling utterly powerful and overcoming insane odds.

It is you people, idiots, who are making this game into an MMO that sucks.

Erm why are you taking this so offensive, first of all I didn't play any MMO, I was hardcore D2 player and yes had fun with OP builds.

Yes ARPGs suppose to be overpower fun and fast pace but my point is at this rate MP10 is already doable for many people. If we have more OP items in game, we need more difficulties, maybe MP12.

What i really what from D3 Dev-Team is build diversity rather than buffing more items for same purpose. Everyone will search the same formula again and again CC, IAS, CD, AR, Stats.

We need item that will create build diversity like how we can utilize WKL for FOT/Cyclone monk, 300th spear for WT barb. A simple one can be an item that increases element skill by 30% (random roll) with 3 random affix.

Why does the game need to be "hard"? How Inferno should have went is this:

Hell = all items ilvl63/mlvl63, find anything in Hell. Super easy, farmable by anyone.

Inferno = same drops as hell, same rates, no better farming inferno than hell. Increased XP for paragon leveling, scaling MP levels for achievements/banners/special dyes and cosmetic items to replace armor with (non-power related).

Inferno would be a place to "farm" if you could, but mostly for bragging rights, and non-power items thus giving distinction to those who could beat it/farm it.

Scale inferno up to MP20 and make the BEST POSSIBLE CHARACTER IN THE GAME, not able to effectively solo past about MP15 unless they take 1-2 mobs at most at any given time, make it a group thing that encourages a challenging environment with cool rewards.

Make cosmetic items change the color/effects of skills and abilities, armor, weapons, and even full character visual appearances.

In short, make Inferno HARD, really HARD, but make farming in Hell where anyone and their puppy can do it. Thus people can find items with little/no problem, but inferno is there for the challenge portion of the playerbase.
Reply Quote
It seems to be like those old Fairy Tales where you get granted a wish.
You get what you ask for but its not what you want.

If monster level decides item stats, only MP10 players will get the best, not the majority who seem to favour around MP5 (according to Poll on preferred level )

That is no upgrades for lower levels, back to AH for Billionaire Boys Club to get richer.
Reply Quote
What really burns me about all this up front info is how in the world am I suppose to run act 3 for the thousandth time knowing that whenever this patch is released all that time and effort could have been better spent. Its like i get to play for a few months then WAM "Jus hold on guys in another couple of months everything gets better for you"

I'd rather the teams time was spent on the task at hand so we can have these updates sooner (Be it an hour or a day sooner) than waste time feeding an angry fanbase you know will never be happy with anything that you could tell them.

Ohh and implement an "Endless Dungeon" or "100 Floor Dungeon" that pulls us outa this horrid end game grind of Act 3. You could make cool mash ups of monsters from different acts bringing forth widely varied fights and forcing us to think on our feet. This would be an epic add-on to either D2 or D3 that gives player something that they want.
Reply Quote
Be nice if they would just consider adding more skill affixes. This rarely ever gets any attention, and it was the first thing I looked way back at launch. I was immediately disappointed that the skill affixes were so limited, and also, never spawned multiples on a single item, and could not be stacked much since each only appeared on 1-2 specific item types.

You devs need to add some more types of skill affixes (i.e not just attack skills), buff skill affixes in general, and also allowed them to spawn on more than one type of item and also allow more than 1 of them to spawn on a single item. Kind of like class specific items worked in D2. See below.

I.e.
Random Rare #1

-random stats
+20% bonus to Disintegrate damage.
+50% increased duration to Blizzard.

Random Rare #2

-random stats
+25% increased area of effect to arcane orb.
+50% increased defense to Ice Armor
10% decreased cooldown on Teleport

etc, etc.

Yes, +1 exactly agree.
Edited by Tremis#1307 on 3/20/2013 9:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
83 Orc Death Knight
03/20/2013 09:32 PMPosted by Eribuss
If monster level decides item stats, only MP10 players will get the best, not the majority who seem to favour around MP5 (according to Poll on preferred level )

MP1 = mlvl63, MP10 = mlvl63

So long as you play at least MP1 you can get the same things at same power as MP10.
Reply Quote
83 Orc Death Knight
03/20/2013 09:35 PMPosted by Tremis

But your idea doesn't change anything.

300 Spear jsut makes those two worthless skills viable, but you still get crit, crit damage, ias, primary, resist all and life steal.

WKL just makes your two most used skills...still awesome and better.

Increasing a % number of a skill doesn't do anything besides bigger DPS numbers.

This is why this game sucks in itemization, NOTHING BREAKS THE MOLD.

Oh wait, Bleed Witch Doctor does (no int/crit/crit damage, all vit, ias, mana regen, mf, pickup radius and resistances).

No other build actually changes the way a character plays the game.
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 05:34 PMPosted by hbg
So how much longer before D3 is fun again?

At this rate, sometime in the year one million.
Reply Quote
I will stay on topic and just ask the DEVs a ? and hope it gets seen and answered.

The biggest problem for me and my group is rolls on legends and set items that dont make sense, have a crappy bonus, or roll in values that shouldnt be possible.
QUESTION for DEVs --> Are their plans to fix items like Storm Crow, make set bonuses on par with other sets, or other such changes like loosening the stranglehold of CC and CD on items?

Examples:

1) Storm Crow: This helm is obviously meant for a wizard but always comes with STR and DEX. Why?

2) Tal Rash's Set bonus is 3% damage bonus for different damage types and then the final bonus with power regen is ok but compare this set to the uber Witchdoctor Zunimassa set bonuses.

3) I got a Thing of the Deep and it rolled 41 STR and under 100 ave damage but a crapton of DEX. 41 STR really? Isnt 41 too low for a legend? What can a witchdoctor do with STR or DEX? Meh on armor and dodge.

4) I keep getting legendary and set orbs and they are never even close to the one rare I got with CC, CD, arcane power on crit, int and vit, decent ave damage. CC and CD have a stranglehold on the game because you need insane damage to be able to win higher monster powers.

5) Any resist that isnt resist all. Since resist all is always better it basically makes any item that rolls a single resist crappy. Resists in single damage type should roll way higher than they do.

Thx for reading. Love Diablo 3. Long live looting.
Reply Quote
Wow, I couldn't even believe it when I reached the end of the blue post. Hopefully they will start answering some real questions and stop spoon feeding us the same worthless crap.
Reply Quote
After looking at the first two questions and their respective answers, I seriously considered not reading the rest of that post....

Four of the questions, I thought, could be answered using a little bit of common sense or were already answered by a blue post previously.

The other Two were:
"Here's a list of stuff were talking about maybe adding sometime in the future. Possibly. Expect to see maybe one or none of these, along with the Mystic, in the expansion!"
and
"We might add something similar to sockets sometime in the future, but we have no idea what to do, maybe we'll have a list typed up in 6 months or so, so stay tuned guys!"

Yawn....
Reply Quote
Posted by Eribuss

MP1 = mlvl63, MP10 = mlvl63

So long as you play at least MP1 you can get the same things at same power as MP10.

Where did it say this? I read monster level will determine stats.
Edited by Eribuss#6380 on 3/20/2013 10:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
May we see new types of New more powerful items in patch 1.0.8 or later and what color will have these items maybe RED?.
May we see new locations with new Uber Bosses?
Pls increase value of gems in Chest now one socket max 100pcs pls increase up to 1000pcs.
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 03:06 PMPosted by Lylirra
We're doing things a little differently this time around and will be providing developer answers in several parts spread over multiple weeks. Below are the answers for part 1.

This is a disgrace. As soon as a Q&A is posted Blue posts dry up completely for 2wks. Now your stretching it out over a few weeks?

How many people are actually still involved with the Diablo 3 franchise?
Reply Quote
View profile
very interesting blog

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/travis-day-on-diablo-3-economy-issues?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+diabloincgamers+%28Diablo+IncGamers+News+Feed%29

Sounds like a vicious and unbreakable cycle, doesn’t it??

The dev team do nothing to improve the game. just new batch OP item overcome existing Op item....Please learn from the view of players ......
Edited by MADTHUNDER2#3452 on 3/21/2013 12:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 03:06 PMPosted by Lylirra
We've also discussed adding other types of "socketables" with a wide variety of possible affixes that you can put in your socketed items instead of gems

Skulls :D i want life steal as a socket for the weapon, they could give regen life in armor.
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 06:20 PMPosted by Drothvader
You also get several enchants to choose from with varying expenses. The point is, it gives us a choice.

This right here is the key point, as you don't, outside of movement speed on boots, have much of a choice when it comes to WoW enchanting. It is true there are many enchants, but there is almost always only one proper enchant for your class/spec, which makes enchanting nothing more than a resource sink. I raided, and we weren't bad or great, killed heroics etc, and many of our members dreaded getting non BIS upgrades because they didn't want to flush resources down the drain. That isn't a fun system. I guess what I'm saying is, they can add socketing and have it not be tedious but only if they give us true socketing choices.

Oh, and to anyone fretting about any of this, remember that it took them weeks to craft this post. How long do you think actually doing any of this will take? 2014?
Reply Quote
Look! More stupid answers!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]