Diablo® III

Endless Mode

03/28/2013 05:59 PMPosted by Travis Day
Replayability and ideas like Endless Dungeons come up a lot around the office. We definitely have plans to expand the game in these areas. Adding more monster power levels is also something that we have discussed. I personally love the idea of an endless dungeon, don't take that as a quote that I promised we are adding them though! At the heart of that idea is something really compelling, wave events, endless dungeons, hold out missions etc. Standing as the lone hero, or one of a party of heroes, against an onslaught of demons really sells the fantasy of Diablo, it's just a matter of taking the seed of that idea and iterating on it to a point where it feels like it fits into the game as a piece and not just "the only thing to do". I do hope that down the road we can find some way to make that idea a part of the content options players have at their disposal. I've said one numerous occasions, in a perfect world, when a player sits down at their computer for the evening to play the Diablo the question I want them to say to themselves is "What do I feel like doing tonight?" not "Ok time to run Act 3 again".

I would love you forever if you guys added an endless mode or similar gameplay ideas. I would even buy you a fancy ring. I am talking at least $50 from the pawn shop type of ring.
Reply Quote
View profile
Replayability and ideas like Endless Dungeons come up a lot around the office. We definitely have plans to expand the game in these areas. Adding more monster power levels is also something that we have discussed. I personally love the idea of an endless dungeon, don't take that as a quote that I promised we are adding them though! At the heart of that idea is something really compelling, wave events, endless dungeons, hold out missions etc. Standing as the lone hero, or one of a party of heroes, against an onslaught of demons really sells the fantasy of Diablo, it's just a matter of taking the seed of that idea and iterating on it to a point where it feels like it fits into the game as a piece and not just "the only thing to do". I do hope that down the road we can find some way to make that idea a part of the content options players have at their disposal. I've said one numerous occasions, in a perfect world, when a player sits down at their computer for the evening to play the Diablo the question I want them to say to themselves is "What do I feel like doing tonight?" not "Ok time to run Act 3 again".

Have "legendary versions" of certain events!

For instance, have the jar of soul last 2 to 4 minutes, with maybe 1 or 2 packs spawning during the duration of the event! That ought to give us a feeling of being overwhelmed since - the more we kill, the more there is.
Reply Quote
. I've said one numerous occasions, in a perfect world, when a player sits down at their computer for the evening to play the Diablo the question I want them to say to themselves is "What do I feel like doing tonight?" not "Ok time to run Act 3 again".

I am not agains endless dungeons and such but:

In a DIABLO game, I think what players should ask themselves is:

Can I find a char build that really mows down monsters and how would I make that build, or

Can I come up with a char build that really kicks butt in PVP, and how should I build that char, or

Suppose I were to make a char build that really helps my teammates, how do I do that? (co-op), or

What char build can I make that is REALLY efficient at finding "stuff" or killing ubers, and how?
Reply Quote
"definitely on the table..."

"talked alot about in the office..."

Ffs. This is the only thing that is said, and the only thing we can hope on. Nothing seems to get done with this game besides:

"maybe for the future..."

Please fix this game blizzard. Sick of Act 3 farming.
Reply Quote
yay, Travis Day is back! He's the man!

hold out missions etc. Standing as the lone hero, or one of a party of heroes, against an onslaught of demons

Sounds really cool.

For hold out mission.
How about you start as a prisoner to Azmodan with broken gear, and each round you get 1 scrap of metal to repair your gear. That way gear is still involved without the auto-win element.

As for the endless dungeon...hmm that one is hard.. Most of the stuff an endless dungeon can do can be done in existing zones.
Reply Quote
"Okay time to run Act 3 again"

Diablo 2 was just "Okay time to run Baal again"

Players will always find the one best way to get loot & only do that
Reply Quote

Have "legendary versions" of certain events!

For instance, have the jar of soul last 2 to 4 minutes, with maybe 1 or 2 packs spawning during the duration of the event! That ought to give us a feeling of being overwhelmed since - the more we kill, the more there is.

I'd rather they add NEW events then simply stat adjust the current ones. Too much of what's been added to date has been re-purposed assets from the game.

We need more variety. The game is really lacking in content for a game out in 2012. It's length could be forgivable if what was there actually changed with each play through, but sadly it doesn't.

I'm not saying having legendary version of existing events wouldn't be fun, it probably would, but we need more events and events that aren't tied to a specific square area of a map. Make them able to spawn ANYWHERE.
Edited by Alcovitch#1247 on 3/28/2013 6:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Players will always find the one best way to get loot & only do that

That's unfortunately right.

Need some randomness to counter that. Out-of-the-blue stuff happening just about anywhere in a totally unpredictable manner. NOT 'events' such as the Shrine of Rakanishu..

.. think elite monsters calling in friends - now you've got 3 packs.. stumbling across a totally random multi-level cave, spawnable anywhere.. non stationary travelling salesmen who might either sell you something or turn on you.. you get the idea.

Priorities.. I know.
Reply Quote
nice idea op
Reply Quote

How about less talk more action?
Edited by immy#6924 on 3/28/2013 7:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
+1 to OP

+1 to Travis Day

Great ideas :)
Reply Quote
As long as the endless wave monsters are not just some re-cycled monster and boss from the story mode.
Reply Quote
come up a lot around the office.

Man, you guys seem to come up with a lot of great and awesome ideas, but how is it only the crappy ones get implemented.... I'm looking forward to better ones in the future tho.

Adding more monster power levels is also something that we have discussed.

This needs to be combined with something new, or else it would merely work as a bandaid solution. Something completely special that makes people want to play the top MP level, like for example, at (ultimate) MP level, Nephalem Valor buff stacks can be infinitely gained. Every 5 stacks gained guarantees something special. Ie first 5 guarantees a rare, second 5 guarantees a DE, third 5 guarantees a second rare (with x% more stats, but is soulbound to account on identify), and so on. However, each elite pack killed will increase the stats of all remaining enemies in the act by x%. Combined with Endless Dungeon, this will make players WANT to play the highest MP, and with friends or multiplayer.

question I want them to say to themselves is "What do I feel like doing tonight?" not "Ok time to run Act 3 again".

Hopefully this comes true, but the game would need to undergo quite an overhaul to attain this. I believe that the current content can be modified (and thus recycled) in order to add to this. Some ideas thrown around in the past such as specialized drops or the dev's team's boss drops would work, ie Act 1 drops more essences and crafting materials, Act 2 drops more gems, and specific bosses have a small list of unique drops no more than 2-3 items per boss.
Theoretically you'd want players to actually look forward to playing D3 when they get back home, and even organize D3 multiplayer sessions with friends, as opposed to sitting down to play D3 and then deciding 'what to do' and ending up in 'time to do X again..'

All in all, this is something I've been thinking about, but Blizzard could still use the AH as intended with the new content. Introducing systems such as randomized BoA on identify systems would definitely kill off duping. Ie an item would randomize its stats on identify, not on drop. Thereby making duping of unidentified BoA items useless. Of course, these BoA items should have special stats, something unique with a small variance that would incentivize people to actually purchase them. Going along the lines of how D2's legendaries were treated is a good start, where if a specific legendary drops, you can be sure that it will be awesome, despite rolling min stats.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]