Diablo® III

Endless Mode

03/28/2013 05:59 PMPosted by Travis Day
Replayability and ideas like Endless Dungeons come up a lot around the office. We definitely have plans to expand the game in these areas. Adding more monster power levels is also something that we have discussed. I personally love the idea of an endless dungeon, don't take that as a quote that I promised we are adding them though! At the heart of that idea is something really compelling, wave events, endless dungeons, hold out missions etc. Standing as the lone hero, or one of a party of heroes, against an onslaught of demons really sells the fantasy of Diablo, it's just a matter of taking the seed of that idea and iterating on it to a point where it feels like it fits into the game as a piece and not just "the only thing to do". I do hope that down the road we can find some way to make that idea a part of the content options players have at their disposal. I've said one numerous occasions, in a perfect world, when a player sits down at their computer for the evening to play the Diablo the question I want them to say to themselves is "What do I feel like doing tonight?" not "Ok time to run Act 3 again".

Ok, so, dumb question, but why is it taking so long to get anything like that into the game? Hell, why was something like this not in the game to begin with? You guys knew that Torchlight 1 had maps from the map vendor for end game AND an endless dungeon, both of which feature randomized maps. Torchlight 2 has even better random map system by adding affixes for players and monsters to the maps, again with the dungeons being randomized. The same kind of map system is present in Path of Exile. Why in the unholy hell did Diablo 3 ship with nothing of the sort? Diablo 3 even lacks randomly generated maps even in the main story, the best you can hope for are a few set pieces that may or may not appear while the general layout is unchanged. Why did you guys think that this was something that was OK? If you didn't think it was OK, then why did you go along with it / why is it almost a year later and we still don't have anything like it?
Reply Quote
We need someone who will shake things up at Blizzard, and not shove us content shareholders think is great. You just admitted you have no real power on the development of Diablo 3. Please hire someone with actual balls who will change things. Players asked for an endless dungeon: how hard is it to actually please them? All ideas get the same treatment: "that's cool", "we talked about it in the office", well guess what we don't give a !@#$. Give us content or go home.
Reply Quote
Ok, so, dumb question, but why is it taking so long to get anything like that into the game? Hell, why was something like this not in the game to begin with? You guys knew that Torchlight 1 had maps from the map vendor for end game AND an endless dungeon, both of which feature randomized maps. Torchlight 2 has even better random map system by adding affixes for players and monsters to the maps, again with the dungeons being randomized. The same kind of map system is present in Path of Exile. Why in the unholy hell did Diablo 3 ship with nothing of the sort? Diablo 3 even lacks randomly generated maps even in the main story, the best you can hope for are a few set pieces that may or may not appear while the general layout is unchanged. Why did you guys think that this was something that was OK? If you didn't think it was OK, then why did you go along with it / why is it almost a year later and we still don't have anything like it?

Waaaaaaaaah, this game is BAD! I shall insult your intelligence and expect a reply!
Reply Quote

My guess is time ran out. Diablo III got so many things right, it is a real shame that end game wasn't formulated well.

Reason why those things aren't in the game now, because it really doesn't make any sense. Cool ideas are just ideas. Instead we got Paragon levels, Monster Power, Ubers, new crafting items, etc.

A cheap way to do 'Endless Mode' would be give the illusion of 'depth' by requiring all party members to click 'do you want to goto the next level?' or a countdown. Then you can just regenerate the same level with a different seed. This could be coded in a single night.. Still it all comes down to 'why?', why do you want an infinite dungeon? Doing act3 over and over is exactly the same as an endless dungeon, imo.
Reply Quote
03/28/2013 06:03 PMPosted by Daaammmnn
"What do I feel like doing tonight?"
cant wait to be saying this instead of

Ok time to run Act 3 again
Reply Quote
well, until that happens, time to run act 3 again
Reply Quote

+1

Blizz SO outclassed lol, so sad.
Reply Quote
I think one of the big issues here is it is nearly impossible to make a "path of least resistance" or a path that is not optimal. It would be easier to give up and give level 60 players something to do like an endless dungeon, than to put so much time in trying to balance all acts and areas. This approach does not seem to appease players as it just turns the game in to an endless repeated grind.

At this point i have played all acts too many times, and my highest character is only paragon 50. I am not sure how I would be excited to play any of the areas. If anything the only motivation is paragon/item hunt so to accomplish that I will go to the most optimal place to accomplish it.
Reply Quote
Replayability and ideas like Endless Dungeons come up a lot around the office. We definitely have plans to expand the game in these areas. Adding more monster power levels is also something that we have discussed. I personally love the idea of an endless dungeon, don't take that as a quote that I promised we are adding them though! At the heart of that idea is something really compelling, wave events, endless dungeons, hold out missions etc. Standing as the lone hero, or one of a party of heroes, against an onslaught of demons really sells the fantasy of Diablo, it's just a matter of taking the seed of that idea and iterating on it to a point where it feels like it fits into the game as a piece and not just "the only thing to do". I do hope that down the road we can find some way to make that idea a part of the content options players have at their disposal. I've said one numerous occasions, in a perfect world, when a player sits down at their computer for the evening to play the Diablo the question I want them to say to themselves is "What do I feel like doing tonight?" not "Ok time to run Act 3 again".

Exactamondo! Wild game modes like those where you group 4/5 vs 4/5 in a mode where one group plays elites with unique skills and the other group plays with their normal characters. This could occur indoors or outdoors.

Timed trial demon/zombie modes: Kill as many demons as you can. Think of this as that vault where you have to run to find the treasure in Act II (I think it is), but this has a different twist.

Environment Only modes: Special dungeons which take advantage of the environment to help you kill enemies. Lots of destructables around to kill elites and normal mobs with, but you can only kill them in this way. You can even periodically blow up random objects that will create holes in the ground, blast elites off cliffs, and perhaps cause gysers to erupt shoot your enemies to the moon.

Endless dungeons: Random maps mixed with random mobs throughout the game plus all new random bosses.

MP Insanity Mode: Special mode that increase damage considerably, adds an additional affix to all elites, and reduces enrage timers for all bosses. This mode can be selected on any MP difficulty for added difficulty.

Boss vs Boss mode: 1-4 players in a zone play against each other as their favorite bosses in classic deathmatch fashion.
Reply Quote

Awesome awesome endless dungeon can't wait!!
Reply Quote

Can't agree more, there should be a lot of "minigames" or "missions" that could add content to the game in so many ways, giving us choices, and not mandatory farming routes...
Reply Quote

Have you looked into what Path of Exile does with it's endgame content?

I think it would be cool to be able to find portals or runes while farming that lead to "end game" areas where the mobs are higher than lvl 63. Also, if players were able to augment the portals with gold to make the areas harder, and higher drop rates for gg gear.

I think it fits Diablo very well and is an excellent end game type of play. Furthermore, you could open up a map editor for the community to try out and implement some of the better community made maps into the game and make them available for us all to play.
Reply Quote
I'd love some more backpack slots too...since you're going to make this endless loot and items thing...
Reply Quote
I like you
Reply Quote
"definitely on the table..."

"talked alot about in the office..."

Ffs. This is the only thing that is said, and the only thing we can hope on. Nothing seems to get done with this game besides:

"maybe for the future..."

Please fix this game blizzard. Sick of Act 3 farming.

This.

03/28/2013 07:50 PMPosted by Firestorm
come up a lot around the office.

Man, you guys seem to come up with a lot of great and awesome ideas, but how is it only the crappy ones get implemented.... I'm looking forward to better ones in the future tho.

This.

03/28/2013 07:15 PMPosted by Greenhell
Replayability and ideas like Endless Dungeons come up a lot around the office.

Im glad to hear they are'nt "dated", you know, like customization & player choices.

THIS.

How about less talk more action?

And finally... THIS.

It's good to know that I'm not the only person who will never blindly hand Blizzard money again.
Reply Quote
Adding more monster power levels is also something that we have discussed.

Dont get me wrong but I dont think more MPs are actually making any sense if the majority of the players cant even get past MP5...

Just give us a dungeon like at D1, with random monsters, kill counter and random bosses. I still play D1 today, guess that says it all. That game was just miles above D2 and D3 :)
Reply Quote
Using the "we don't want it to be the only thing to do" as a reason to not add it is a copout. Add it... then add something else... then something else and it wont be the only thing to do.

Saying "if we make this to good it will be the only thing to do" keeps you from adding anything. Add stuff. Bad, amazing, terrible, as long as there are more things to do it is better.
Reply Quote
Great ideas guyz! :) Now let's see if it can go from ideas to real i really hope! :)
Reply Quote
lol yeah right! thats why were getting monster density because there not gonna give us an endless mode.they want everyone to stop doing act 3 runs but the thing is ,there is not enough monsters in the game period.endless dungeon i want you to think something along the lines of 10,000 monsters killed for x amount of exp. and have the game say KILLING SPREE when you kill over 30 or something.you want monster density take the amount of monsters in the whole game and multiply it by a power of 30. then after that .

we need 3 more pages in the stash box.
the ability to use any of the passives or skills for all classes on our character.
we want to use 2 more passives.
add helmets to followers.
give us the option for our characters to choose melee or range stile fighting.
we need 4 more acts.
we also need the price of removing marquise gems to be dramatically reduced
item filter to filter what you want to pick up ,white blue yellow etc.
convert filter to turn just white blue "and , or" yellow items to gold instead of dropping them
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]