Diablo® III

Endless Mode

03/28/2013 09:57 PMPosted by Envy
Replayability and ideas like Endless Dungeons come up a lot around the office. We definitely have plans to expand the game in these areas. Adding more monster power levels is also something that we have discussed. I personally love the idea of an endless dungeon, don't take that as a quote that I promised we are adding them though! At the heart of that idea is something really compelling, wave events, endless dungeons, hold out missions etc. Standing as the lone hero, or one of a party of heroes, against an onslaught of demons really sells the fantasy of Diablo, it's just a matter of taking the seed of that idea and iterating on it to a point where it feels like it fits into the game as a piece and not just "the only thing to do". I do hope that down the road we can find some way to make that idea a part of the content options players have at their disposal. I've said one numerous occasions, in a perfect world, when a player sits down at their computer for the evening to play the Diablo the question I want them to say to themselves is "What do I feel like doing tonight?" not "Ok time to run Act 3 again".
I like you

Why? Cant you read? He basically said he is bored of your ideas about endgame and is not going to do it.
Reply Quote
I'm in total support of OP's idea. Please implement something along these lines. PLEASE!
Reply Quote
Endless Mode would absolutely resell Diablo for me. I've been wanting to get back into it but I just can't bring myself to grind the same damn !@#$ over and over again.
Reply Quote
Some form of further difficulty is definitely needed at this point in the game, even WITHOUT the itemization changes coming.

I agree with above posters that THE only thing to do once you clear inferno, which lets face it EVERYONE can now, is farm Paragon in A3 and MP10 Ubers. However, making the content/difficulty OPTIONAL is a big deal for the casual players.

Some form of Horde mode is needed and a bump to MP15 would be a good start. This Horde mode (endless waves of increasingly difficult enemies, for those not familiar with Gears style Horde mode) with a ladder implemented for score tracking would be awesome I feel. Having a Solo, Duo, Trio, and Group Ladder system to track the Levels/Points would be cool, and every 5 levels or so the Act mini bosses could spawn in alone with mobs, and every 10 levels the Act Boss would spawn in. Once level 40 is defeated (I.E. Diablo) every 5 levels could spawn in somethign different. For Example:

Level 5 - Skeleton King
Level 10 - Butcher
Level 15 - Magda
Level 20 - Zolten Kulle
Level 25 - Seigebreaker
Level 30 - Azmodan
Level 35 - Rakanoth
Lelev 40 - Diablo
Level 45 - Skeleton King + Butcher
Level 50 - Magda + Shatterbone
Level 55 - Seigbreaker + Ghom
Level 60 - Izual + Diablo
Level 65 - Uber Skeleton King + Uber Butcher
Level 70 - Uber Magda + Uber Rakanoth
Level 75 - Uber Ghom + Uber Zolten Kulle
Level 80 - Uber Seigbreaker + Uber Izual
Level 85 - Skeleton King, Butcher, Madga
Level 90 - Zolten Kulle, Seigbreaker, Iskatu
Level 95 - Rakanoth, Ghom, Izual
Level 100 - Belial, Azmodan, Diablo

Etc. You get the idea.

The rewards could be somethign new eventually but for now Every 5 levels could drop:

1 Demonic Essense and a 6 Prop Rare up to Level 40
2 Demonic Essense, 1 6 Prop Rare, 1 Brimstone, an Organ Chance(on Ubers) up to Level 80
3 Demonic Essense, 1 6 Prop Rare, 1 Brimstone, 1 Legendary up to Level 95
4 Demonic Essense, 1 6 Prop Rare, 1 Brimstone. 1 Legendary, 1 Random Radiant Star Gem, 1 Set Piece

Just my thoughts of something insnanely crazy and "neverending" rewards could be different obviously, but then if you implemented a Ladder or scorboard tracker that would reset every month people would farm that !@#$ like crazy to try and be tops. We love competing against one another.

Just an idea I had real quick while reading through the forums. Its pretty rough, but its a concept that I feel the devs should look into. Just if you do, PLEASE GOD MAKE IT HARD!!!! It would be optional, after all.

Wow. This actually sounds like a lot of fun. That means it has no chance of being added to D3.
Reply Quote
03/28/2013 05:59 PMPosted by Travis Day
"Ok time to run Act 3 again".

Sadly I have said that since last June... June 2012... When is this gonna end? I know I know, lots of ideas pop up in your meeting and etc. I don't see anything getting done soon.
Reply Quote
I like DoomBringer's idea of legendary events - but let's make it truly legendary. Here's an example to whet the appetite, so please like it if you want it:

Act 1 Legendary Event: The Jar of Souls: The March of Bones.

Leoric is finally at rest, but a foe long believed slain has clung to unlife within the Jar of Souls and now the Gates have opened: endless waves of undead flood the crypts and spread across the land!

Trigger: start Return to New Tristram on Inferno difficulty and use the town's Waypoint to visit the Cathedral Gardens. Waypoints are then disabled until you leave the game or defeat the event! You must have completed Act 1 on Inferno difficulty at least once.

Endless Wave One: With strange magic blocking nearer Waypoints, the Hero must fight their way from the Cathedral Garden to reach New Tristram and rescue the villagers barricaded within Haedrig's Cellar. While Tyrael and your brave followers lead the remaining guards to defend the town, Brother Malachi informs you of the source of the undead hordes: Lazarus commands the Jar of Souls!

Endless Wave Two: Fight across the Weeping Hollow and into the Cemetery's Defiled Crypts to reach the Jar of Souls and destroy it - once you have also dealt with the crypt's ludicrously wall-to-wall hordes! But Lazarus and the Jar are missing, and only the spirit of Chancellor Eamon awaits to warn you that the fallen priest has departed to the Festering Woods. There he plans to use the Jar of Souls to corrupt a legendary artifact - and raise a Necropolis from which to conquer Sanctuary!

Endless Waves Three and Four: Slog across the Fields of Misery to the temporary sanctuary of the Drowned Temple. There you will receive directions from Alaric's spirit allowing you to pursue Lazarus into and beneath the Festering Woods, for the ultimate battle against the Priest of The Undead!

Features and Rewards: Four endless waves of every kind of undead you've ever fought in Act I, plus every skeletal undead you've ever fought in the other Acts turning up as you progress, with the occasional champion and rare mixed in to further spice things up and give you that wonderful Nephalem Valor you crave! The more you kill, the more that arrive, and the longer you take to kill them, the tougher they get, as if the entire Map has become one big enraged Jar of Souls event! Stay alert, as secret vendors to repair and replenish your Hero can be found hiding from the undead hordes! Finally, victory guarantees a random Legendary item usable by your class and one of the seven Endless Keys - one from each Act's Legendary Event plus three found elsewhere - that your hero requires to access an Endless Dungeon of champion and rare monsters!
Reply Quote
Extremely keen to see what blizzard creates in this area.

there definitely needs to be more to the end game than act 3 runs over and over.

Not sure a siege mode would be very fun.

Why is the notion of endless dungeon mode brought up? Why does it have to be a dugeon, i MUCH prefer the feeling of climbing hills. Climbing up a mountain , level by level battling hordes and hordes.
Reply Quote
I've said one numerous occasions, in a perfect world, when a player sits down at their computer for the evening to play the Diablo the question I want them to say to themselves is "What do I feel like doing tonight?" not "Ok time to run Act 3 again".

how about act selection via waypoint? make stacks persist, and allow players to choose freely from the game world.
Reply Quote
Replayability and ideas like Endless Dungeons come up a lot around the office. We definitely have plans to expand the game in these areas. Adding more monster power levels is also something that we have discussed. I personally love the idea of an endless dungeon, don't take that as a quote that I promised we are adding them though! At the heart of that idea is something really compelling, wave events, endless dungeons, hold out missions etc. Standing as the lone hero, or one of a party of heroes, against an onslaught of demons really sells the fantasy of Diablo, it's just a matter of taking the seed of that idea and iterating on it to a point where it feels like it fits into the game as a piece and not just "the only thing to do". I do hope that down the road we can find some way to make that idea a part of the content options players have at their disposal. I've said one numerous occasions, in a perfect world, when a player sits down at their computer for the evening to play the Diablo the question I want them to say to themselves is "What do I feel like doing tonight?" not "Ok time to run Act 3 again".

You seem to do alot of discussing, and no actual implementing of them ideas.

If every company had your attitude the world would be a disaster.
Reply Quote
when a player sits down at their computer for the evening to play the Diablo the question I want them to say to themselves is "What do I feel like doing tonight?" not "Ok time to run Act 3 again".

YES! =)
Reply Quote
if blizzard feels doubt about that people will totally leave the game and focus on farming endless mode events, just make them like daily ocations or make bosses drop portal scrolls to endless mode realms.
Reply Quote
The pace at which content gets pushed with this game is beyond disgusting.

Being a big fan of Guild Wars 2, a much bigger game with a much more complex world, I am constantly amazed at how fast ArenaNet pushes out high quality content. They have many different teams working on different aspects of the game, and they get it done.

I'm not sure how Blizzard compares in scale, but I would imagine they have more resources at their disposal. Why is it that Blizzard can't manage to push content out in the same manner for a much smaller and less complex game? If you need bigger teams to make it happen, then make it happen. Why does anyone even hold this company to such high standards anymore? I'm thinking we're all over it.
Reply Quote
endless mode with a ladder is going to be amazing
Reply Quote
"around the office" stopped reading nothing new just as every time.
Reply Quote
Classes need to be a lot better before they start adding more endgame events. Right now, Barb is still king because only DPS matters past like 400 resist all. Things like WoTB and best dps passives is why Barbs are the majority of MP10 farmers.
Reply Quote
I love this idea so much. D3 really needs this.
Reply Quote
As long as it's something orignial, new and epic, I don't mind.

Please don't copy ideas from that trashy diablo 2 clone aka poe or bring back something from D2lod again.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]