Diablo® III

Endless Mode

View profile
Absolutely marvelous idea! But also throw in some of your elite monsters, regularly spawning fallen maniacs you know make this challenging.

I Cant put the name of the game that had a endless dungeon that i loved, i think it was one of the first zelda's. I could not get enough of it and it was awesome for collecting rupies in a pinch. Ah yes it was zelda! I think lol. But ya dudes we need something like this big time. Would be so nice to do something challenging and different that isn't just "ah heck lets go slay and pray some more act 3".
Reply Quote
03/28/2013 05:59 PMPosted by Travis Day
Replayability and ideas like Endless Dungeons come up a lot around the office. We definitely have plans to expand the game in these areas. Adding more monster power levels is also something that we have discussed. I personally love the idea of an endless dungeon, don't take that as a quote that I promised we are adding them though! At the heart of that idea is something really compelling, wave events, endless dungeons, hold out missions etc. Standing as the lone hero, or one of a party of heroes, against an onslaught of demons really sells the fantasy of Diablo, it's just a matter of taking the seed of that idea and iterating on it to a point where it feels like it fits into the game as a piece and not just "the only thing to do". I do hope that down the road we can find some way to make that idea a part of the content options players have at their disposal. I've said one numerous occasions, in a perfect world, when a player sits down at their computer for the evening to play the Diablo the question I want them to say to themselves is "What do I feel like doing tonight?" not "Ok time to run Act 3 again".

We all know Tavis Day has a habit of speaking about his thoughts on Daiblo 3 without really thinking what he says at times. And this time I think he is right. People initially would love the idea of a endless random dungeon. But after a while it's flaws would become apparent. These flaws could include:

- The lack of an end. This is a big one. As for many people Diablo as a serious is more of a casual game. As in you can play 1-2 hours, do a quest or two and then put it down and get back to your busy lives. You don't need the hours on end time all in one go like WoW requires. And endless dungeon would requires hours and hours in one go if you had to do many levels of it for good loot. I actually think having an end to this dungeon is actually a very good idea. Much better then an endless one. I''ll talk about this more below.

- The fun factor. I've played many endless dungeons. And 10 or so levels in they just get boring. Very boring. The same old stuff, with no end or purpose. It just becomes very mindless and repetitive. So I stopped playing them after that. You need to make this idea a lot more interesting .

- A point to this. Just tacking a endless dungeon to the game will be a bad idea. it'll turn out like the current PvP has for DIablo 3. Unbalanced, not fun and just something added to keep players happy without any of the usual Blizzard polish.

So as I said above Blizzard can do this but only if it has an end, like a X level dungeon. With an end, possibly a nice boss monster or unique elite at the end. Maybe have one of many bosses at the end. Randomise it. Randomise the whole thing. That's nice but not the point I am making here. The point I am making is to keep the dungeon fun, worthwhile loot wise and difficulty wise and give it an end, so people can re-run it as many times as they want and be happy they beat it.

As you said,
I want them to say to themselves is "What do I feel like doing tonight?" not "Ok time to run Act 3 again"

and I agree. And I believe the way to do this is to give the players many many options. But many good options. A good PvP (not what we have now), a good extra dungeon (not endless). standard act farming runs, etc etc. The more the merrier. Just make each extra option good with the usual Blizzard polish. Then people will say "what do we do now".
Reply Quote
View profile
I have to disagree with the above to some degree, but do not wish to argue, so lets agree to disagree eh!

While you are right something good needs to come of such a feature, I would be one of those who will play it till my fingers bleed trying to beat it. Because there is nothing i love more then a challenge like this. Something huge, increasingly tougher and long that must be beat(explained below), must be conquered to reign king.

The reason for it to be endless or at least huge is for the ladder board of scores and kills. This is what will keep it from being boring for many of us i think. Those who strive to always be the best or better will absolutely love it.
Reply Quote
I agree
Reply Quote
While you are right something good needs to come of such a feature, I would be one of those who will play it till my fingers bleed trying to beat it. Because there is nothing i love more then a challenge like this. Something huge, increasingly tougher and long that must be beat(explained below), must be conquered to reign king.

The reason for it to be endless or at least huge is for the ladder board of scores and kills. This is what will keep it from being boring for many of us i think. Those who strive to always be the best or better will absolutely love it.

You would try and try to beat an endless dungeon and always fail. Cause it's infinite and thus unbeatable. Unless you have a high score of sorts and your whole aim is to beat your old score each time. That's nice. But that'd promote longer and longer gaming sessions each time. And the casual D3 crowd would go "I don't have the time for this". But you could have a random finite and a random infinite dungeon. To cater to both crowds, casual and hardcore. And then all done.
Reply Quote
I think you are right... there does have to be an end. I gues there would just have to be a timer, otherwise there would just be a point where it becomes a chore.

A timer that is factored in to tottal score would work. I think the whole ranking thing is a big part of keeping the "endless dungeon" viable. Although I would never make that list it would keep players of all ranges engaged.
Reply Quote
Oh this is something I have thought for awhile that needs added. Though I feel the only flaw in the OP's initial concept is that it is conceptually separate from standard game-play. I dont like the fact you just start here and are given rewards based on performance.

My concept on it would be that you get a item of some sort from each of the act bosses from act 1 - 3. Each item has a duration timer. Upon reaching a certain point in act 4 if you possess all 3 of these then it would trigger endless mode. Thoughts and reasoning behind this stem from a way to control the MP and require more varied gameplay. Lets say for instance that the items only last for 1 hour. That puts a timer on you from killing the butcher that you have 1 hour to kill the next 2 end of act bosses and make it to the specific location to trigger this event. You could not just cheese it bring a cm wizard and skip all the content. You would have to progress through the story line, actually engage bosses and do so in a timely manner on an appropriate MP for your skill level.

I do however like the wave ideas, possibly not the reward system as the mobs loot should be as normal. But I can see each wave coming with progressing QTY of minions and the wave ending in some sort of combination or rare or elite packs. The goal with this should be about 1-3 minutes per wave increasing in difficult based on density, with a distinct possibility of the rares at the end finishing you. Say wave 1 is 1 pack, wave 2 is 2, etc etc etc .... the area for this should be confined to preventy endless kiting. I have some thoughts in my head of visually how this could be done. however I will leave them out at this time. The enemies should attack from all sides with no chokepoints.

Ideally in this sort of mode it needs to stem from inside the game, not a seperate feature, getting there should be half the fun. Timers on the items should be tuned so you may miss it and have to start again, this prevents people from going mp 10 when they are really only mp 5-7 material at best (looking at you CM wiz's) Would be fun to see and an interesting diversion.

Not to mention it is something you have to plan for and choose to attempt.

Story wise you could have some bit of dialog after obtaining the three items that one of diablo's generals is assaulting a group of angels. The items you have in some way will get you to that event and you are pitting yourself against this general's endless waves. You could have something along the lines of every 5 waves or so a angel joins the fight with you. Not necessarily doing much damage but more as a distraction and to add more visually and interactively to the event.

Anyways, random top of the dome nonsense. Have fun.
Reply Quote
Yay, finally a blue post about this. I used to love playing Hero Siege Maps back in Warcraft 3 one popular example was "X Hero Siege". I wouldn't mind seeing a Hero Siege mode implemented.
Reply Quote
love this idea
Reply Quote
View profile
They just need MORE content.

Not an endless dungeon that would look like the same levels of our existing dungeon .. just over and over again.

When this game came out I thought ... wow this whole "random" dungeon placement thing is perfect for them to add content. They can just add another dungeon .. and have it spawn in one of the random locations in the game. Or open up NEW spawn locations.

Or ala the uber bosses .. you find things that open portals to entirely new zones ...

They shouldn't be endless, but they also should be longer than 2 levels and should have significant rewards at the end. Such as:
- An uber boss of some sort that actually drops BETTER than normal loot.
- A resplendant chest with guaranteed legendary
- A vendor that randomly sells GOOD things that normally drop ... like plans .. legendaries .. high level rares .. maybe even gems that you normally could only craft ...
- A vendor that sells cosmetic items (similar to the kerrigan wings) that would actually make your character look UNIQUE
Reply Quote
03/29/2013 08:42 AMPosted by LastCrusader
They just need MORE content.

Are you willing to pay a monthly sub for this?
New content is not free.
Reply Quote
I think a cool idea to implement the endless dungeon/horde mode would be that there would be this impossible boss that requires the best gear to defeat, and then you have to farm him for the tp scrolls (there would be multiple so just one drop wouldn't get you what you want) also add more tilesets for the dungs, i want to see jungle shorefront
Reply Quote
Dude this is a great idea!

Imagine; getting tired of your hardcore character and just fighting waves upon waves of enemies 'till you fall in glorious battle! YES!
Reply Quote
LastCrusader

Guarenteed legendaries are an awful thing and just cannot be in game. Guaranteed legendariies means that "this is the only thing to do" and It would devalue the worth of all items even further.

For instanace why would I grind for hours with the chance of no legendary when I can play this and get one guarenteed and possibly find one on the way?

You can have chests and things like that or maybe a MF Buff, but guarantees are a bad idea in my opinion and promote botting.

Regarding Endless Mode
I am not sure if we need the endless mode to fit in to the story. The Infernal Machine does not really fit in. Triggering Endless mode can work something like that, but it would be a hassle IMO. I see no point in increasing the MF, if the MP raises as you play I would think the quality of drops would too. Also clearly what would make this mode difficult is putting more elites on the screen at once, in a no kiting zone. this already increases your chances of finding good items since you are fighting more elite pack in less time.

Any endless mode would have to function in a way that grinding still has an advantage, for instance no NV in the endless arena, .That way until you are progressed pretty far in the event there will be no advantage over grinding. It would be a fun thing if in the final stage they throw something like 10 - 6 affix elite packs with a boss, to make it a true challenge.
Reply Quote
Id like to add a little to endless dungeon idea. rewards such as other "socketables" drop after every 5 levels, can only be done on MP10 so that its a challenge and be extremely difficult for a solo player to do. rewards like those socketables would be awesome. Socketables can be combined with jeweler but you need to do a lot of Dungeon Runs to get runes... i mean socketables :D. Also, NOT allowing things to be sold on auction house gets the community more involved with trading within the community thru chat and networking. BOA is a good step but it has no value to anyone else but yourself which kind of sucks if you craft something that might be good for a friend and you help eachother out. I remember trading an SOJ in d2 for a certain rune values werent based on gold, they were based on the item.
Reply Quote
I would like for this to a portal that can be accessed anywhere and not need 5NV to get into (and not lose rewards).

I know blizzard feels they need to force the way we play the game, so i am sure this would require some sort of major hassle to get to, so here is my thought on what the hassle should/could be.

Use scrolls, keys, used rubbers, whatever. Have them dropped by the end act bosses. Right now what point in there to kill Diablo? Sorta long fight, nothing happens. Make the key drop 100% no matter what. None of this 20 runs on MP5 for nothing. Instead have the key be tagged for the MP level you played on. So if you played on MP5 you get an MP5 key. You kill all 4 bosses on MP5 you can unlock the Endless on MP5. You can not kill Diablo on MP10, then you should be getting MP10 keys. You can kill him on MP4, then it would seem that is the place for you.

Tired of leeches trying to bust in on your uber runs that can not help? Well their are 4 keys and up to 4 people in a party, why not require that each person contributes one key. This would at least be a step to insure that the players going in should at least be able to avoid being killed for 2 minutes.

Obviously this method would require one more addition. Give us a dang keychain! They have existed for as long as keys have. Don't make us use a retarded amount of stash space for it. There would be 44 possible keys here, plus the 3 for infernal machines.
Reply Quote
Id like to add a little to endless dungeon idea. rewards such as other "socketables" drop after every 5 levels, can only be done on MP10 so that its a challenge and be extremely difficult for a solo player to do. rewards like those socketables would be awesome. .

What do you have against solo players? I should not get rewards simply because all of my friends have quit the game?

MP10 only? Why? People playing on MP10 already clearly do not need the item. Sound like a plan to make the super strong stronger, keep it inaccessible to 95% of the player base.

MP10 and multiplayer only....oh....I see. You want to force more MP10 public games so you can leech from other players.

In reality this should not even be an inferno only event/mode. I know inferno is pretty easy now days, which is unfortunate, but not everyone can make it there yet, let alone progress through it.

Go spin some more...
Reply Quote
03/29/2013 10:07 AMPosted by BOSS
What do you have against solo players? I should not get rewards simply because all of my friends have quit the game?

I agree. If this was implemented. It'd be for every MP and just as fun to do solo as in Co-Op.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]